• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

Cm3vHdUWYAAFw9-.jpg

Something something feminism something something.

Best

Leadsom's has to be too sickly even for the worst Tories if she's running with attacks like that. Absolutely vile woman.

EmiPrime

The Government has responded to the petition you signed – “EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum”.

Government responded:

The European Union Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015, receiving overwhelming support from Parliament. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

The EU Referendum Act received Royal Assent in December 2015. The Act was scrutinised and debated in Parliament during its passage and agreed by both the House of Commons and the House of Lords. The Act set out the terms under which the referendum would take place, including provisions for setting the date, franchise and the question that would appear on the ballot paper. The Act did not set a threshold for the result or for minimum turnout.

As the Prime Minister made clear in his statement to the House of Commons on 27 June, the referendum was one of the biggest democratic exercises in British history with over 33 million people having their say. The Prime Minister and Government have been clear that this was a once in a generation vote and, as the Prime Minister has said, the decision must be respected. We must now prepare for the process to exit the EU and the Government is committed to ensuring the best possible outcome for the British people in the negotiations.

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Frustrating but expected.

spekkeh

Banned
Wonder how this headline will make women feel who don't want children - or can't have children.

Doesn't matter, there's much less of those, and if there's one thing this referendum made clear is that the Tories think a democracy is a simple dictatorship of the many.

Kathian

Banned
Seriously it makes a mockery putting electing a PM to the party. Works in opposition but in Government it must be a decision for Parliamentarians. Thats how a Parliamentary democracy works. It doesn't work where loyalty is first to the party and not the wider electorate.

I also worry the wrong lessons have been learnt from history. Time and time again the far right has seized power and the left blame it on racism and irrationality but time and time again it's greed and selfishness. We need to sell society more and ensure everyone works towards it. We live long lives - bettering our neighbours will better ourselves.

Beefy

“You look at families all the time and you see there is something there that you don’t have,” she says.

Mrs May, 56, has been married for 32 years. She is the most senior woman in British politics but has rarely spoken about her private life.

Asked about having children, she said: “It just didn’t happen. I mean, this isn’t something I generally go into, but things just turned out as they did.”

She admitted to a sense of loss at not being a mother. “I think if you talk to anybody who would like to have had children… I mean, you look at families all the time and you see there is something there that you don’t have,” she said

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ss-at-not-having-children-by-Theresa-May.html

This was May in 2012. So Leadsom is disgusting.

“You look at families all the time and you see there is something there that you don’t have,” she says.

Mrs May, 56, has been married for 32 years. She is the most senior woman in British politics but has rarely spoken about her private life.

Asked about having children, she said: “It just didn’t happen. I mean, this isn’t something I generally go into, but things just turned out as they did.”

She admitted to a sense of loss at not being a mother. “I think if you talk to anybody who would like to have had children… I mean, you look at families all the time and you see there is something there that you don’t have,” she said

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...ss-at-not-having-children-by-Theresa-May.html

This was May in 2012. So Leadsom is disgusting.

Utter lowlife, if she gets elected this country will be a disaster zone. I'm no fan of May but this other thing is a monster.

So Leadsom is a disgusting, repugnant human being on top of being a complete and utter lunatic. Good to know.

Like May or not (and personally, I'm very much not), making political capital out of the fact that she can't have kids is completely repulsive. I'd say it's a new low, but our politics have made their business in limboing under the bar of what's acceptable recently.

CTLance

Holy crap. UK, your politicians are scary as fuck. How can she say something like that. That's taking a lack of empathy to a whole new level.

Holy crap. UK, your politicians are scary as fuck. How can she say something like that. That's taking a lack of empathy to a whole new level.

Yeah I thought Trump was bad, ffs this thing is scary. That picture on the times she looks like a maniac killer from Waxworks or some other scary movie.

Kathian

Banned
Wonder how this headline will make women feel who don't want children - or can't have children.

Quite. May is too private to take this on though but she needs to. This is an awful thing to say and clealry shite looking even at the UK; her own party or internationally (lololol).

End of the day shes going to sell herself to a party whose numbers are dwindling; aging and who are high on electoral success. They only bit at Cameron as the Validity to ensure power.

But also quite frankly. May is woeful. Shes only survived as Home Secretary as John Reids reforms has the intended effect and actually are a great legacy. May is mini-PM but in that role shes hid from responsibility (she makes speeches at conferences but uses others to push her agenda); and honestly - what's her record? We all like saying 'oh no they voted for these terrible bills or against these' but she's a major minister - what's HER record?

Shes basically spent her time dictating. For all the rights baby tears - May has been at the front of a Nanny state for years.

Quite. May is too private to take this on though but she needs to. This is an awful thing to say and clealry shite looking even at the UK; her own party or internationally (lololol).

End of the day shes going to sell herself to a party whose numbers are dwindling; aging and who are high on electoral success. They only bit at Cameron as the Validity to ensure power.

But also quite frankly. May is woeful. Shes only survived as Home Secretary as John Reids reforms has the intended effect and actually are a great legacy. May is mini-PM but in that role shes hid from responsibility (she makes speeches at conferences but uses others to push her agenda); and honestly - what's her record? We all like saying 'oh no they voted for these terrible bills or against these' but she's a major minister - what's HER record?

Shes basically spent her time dictating. For all the rights baby tears - May has been at the front of a Nanny state for years.

Oh yeah May is a disaster of that I've no doubt, but this Leadsom she is fucking scary, absolute nutter.

Empty

that leadsom comment is trump level unacceptable

don't have a high opinion of the tory membership's politics but i'm sure on a 'it's just not cricket' level they won't tolerate that

CTLance

You know, there's always those "Simpsons predicted _______" tinfoil hat theories, but I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Treehouse of Horrors VII's Citizen Kang was the work of a time traveling Brexit survivor.

Obligatory random quote: "Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!"

Baybars

Banned
Apparently so. But I'm struggling to think of who that attack will appeal to. It's as bizarre as it is awful.

Remember May spoke about the nasty party, Looks like those nasties in her party are coming after now! Seriously how do you use someone's infertility as a put down?

Lego Boss

So Leadsom is a disgusting, repugnant human being on top of being a complete and utter lunatic. Good to know.

Like May or not (and personally, I'm very much not), making political capital out of the fact that she can't have kids is completely repulsive. I'd say it's a new low, but our politics have made their business in limboing under the bar of what's acceptable recently.

A new low? That is truly instructive of the state of our politicians and politics.

Every single day of the last fortnight (it feels like l've lived a decade in that time/ has seen a new low.

Beta on what will happen at the weekend?

Shito

Well, was out in a bar in France tonight and some guy started swearing at my friends and I (we're English), shouting about Brexit and telling us to go home.

We all voted in. I plan to work in France from next summer for a year or so after I graduate. Spent the last six months learning the language, love the culture. So it was sad to see, but most people I've met here have been very nice and understanding about the whole ordeal.

Still, can't believe it's come to this.
Well, you will soon discover that we also have our own kind of dumb people here in France, and I'm sorry for that.
But I'm quite surprised those stupid guys even cared about Brexit at all: nearly every one of my fellow French citizen I speak to seems to either not care, or is of the opinion that "meh, nothing will change, business will find its way" (sigh).
Anyways, I hope you won't let this get to you too much, and enjoy our nice country: not all of us are like that. I hope these will remain an exception and that you will feel welcomed here.

kmag

"It means you don't want a downturn but, never mind, ten years hence it will all be fine."

Well that's all Andrea isn't it, we'll just suffer through because you whipped up the racists, the bigots and the ignorant with a hodge podge of mistruths, lies and utter fabrications.

cormack12

Gold Member
This is all a sideshow to be honest. Doing my head in. Fighting over who is going to be captain as the Titanic sinks. It's much of a muchness and I'm getting fed up of how we need to meet this challenge head on. None of the candidates have a fucking clue how to manage this mess and therefore should not be electable.

This is all a sideshow to be honest. Doing my head in. Fighting over who is going to be captain as the Titanic sinks. It's much of a muchness and I'm getting fed up of how we need to meet this challenge head on. None of the candidates have a fucking clue how to manage this mess and therefore should not be electable.

At least they kept Titanic afloat long enough to save some people, I do not think the SS UK will be so lucky.

Most of this bit is just speculative fluff based on nothing, or Telegraph headlines, again.
I agree the 'Scoxit' argument, as you call it, is not one of economics, but that does not mean the economics are so fundamentally buggered as to make such a thing an impossibility or even undesirable, which was/is the 'Project Fear' campaign narrative.
There really isn't any point drilling into the financial detail yet and stating as fact that an independent Scotland won't get into X or Y because we have no idea what the heck is going on.
An independent Scotland will be worse off economically in the short term. There's not really any way around it. The important point is that a lot of the longer term uncertainty has been removed by much stronger support from northern European EU countries which makes the medium term prospects a lot more positive than before. Spain won't gain much by standing in the way of the EU pulling off the largest PR trick in its history considering their current condition, and can realistically claim the current situation is extraordinary and would not apply to Catalonia unless Spain left the EU, regardless of whatever legal approach would be used.

Only the 'political', 'moral' or 'democratic' case for Scotland gaining independence with the intention of remaining within the EU is worth debating at the moment, or at least, worth debating in this thread about the repercussions of the UK EU referendum result.
Sooner or later economic prospects will have to be debated. One of the problems of the last indy ref was that the Yes campaign locked itself into some pretty stupid stances by not taking the economic arguments seriously until it was too late to quietly listen and learn from the criticisms thrown its way without looking stupid.

Micael

An independent Scotland will be worse off economically in the short term. There's not really any way around it. The important point is that a lot of the longer term uncertainty has been removed by much stronger support from northern European EU countries which makes the medium term prospects a lot more positive than before. Spain won't gain much by standing in the way of the EU pulling off the largest PR trick in its history considering their current condition, and can realistically claim the current situation is extraordinary and would not apply to Catalonia unless Spain left the EU, regardless of whatever legal approach would be used.

Sooner or later economic prospects will have to be debated. One of the problems of the last indy ref was that the Yes campaign locked itself into some pretty stupid stances by not taking the economic arguments seriously until it was too late to quietly listen and learn from the criticisms thrown its way without looking stupid.

Also it's not as if Spain doesn't want to get it's hands on Gibraltar, this could potentially help with that.

Tacitus_

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/personal-values-brexit-vote/

Figure 3 shows that 71 percent of those most in favour of the death penalty indicated in 2015 that they would vote to leave the EU. This falls to 20 percent among those most opposed to capital punishment. A similar picture results for other RWA questions such as the importance of disciplining children. RWA is only tangentially related to demographics. Education, class, income, gender and age play a role, but explain less than 10 percent of the variation in support for the death penalty.

Karen Stenner, author of the Authoritarian Dynamic, argues that people are divided between those who dislike difference – signifying a disordered identity and environment – and those who embrace it. The former abhor both ethnic and moral diversity. Many see the world as a dangerous place and wish to protect themselves from it.

Pat Dade at Cultural Dynamics has produced a heat map of the kinds of values that correspond to strong Euroscepticism, and to each other. This is shown in figure 4. Disciplining children and whipping sex criminals (circled), keeping the nation safe, protecting social order and skepticism (‘few products live up to the claims of their advertisers…products don’t last as long as they used to’) correlate with Brexit sentiment. These attitude dimensions cluster within the third of the map known as the ‘Settlers’, for whom belonging, certainty, roots and safety are paramount. This segment is also disproportionately opposed to immigration in virtually every country Dade has sampled. By contrast, people oriented toward success and display (‘Prospectors’), or who prioritise expressive individualism and cultural equality (‘Pioneers’) voted Remain.

UK pls

What we need to do is get out of Europe so we don't get swamped by Islamic radicals and oh by the way without all those awful EU laws we can introduce the death penalty for being gay.

2MF

I still can't believe that shithead David Cameron organized this referendum without a single clue what he'd do, as leader, if leave won. Mind-boggling stuff...

Engell

I still can't believe that shithead David Cameron organized this referendum without a single clue what he'd do, as leader, if leave won. Mind-boggling stuff...

still have a hard time fathoming how you can blame him for this...
it's like jumping out of a plane without a parachute and then blaming the guy who wanted to stay on the plane.

2MF

it's like jumping out of a plane without a parachute and then blaming the guy who wanted to stay on the plane.

Except he organized and led the plane trip and knew there was a non-negligible chance people would jump. And didn't bother putting any parachutes on the plane...

Ok the analogy is breaking a bit but I don't see your point honestly.

Arials

If the guy who stayed on the plane is the one who opened the door, suggested jumping out as an option and then told the flight attendants not to prepare the parachutes for the possible eventuality of someone wanting to jump out... then I'm all on board with your analogy and yes he deserves blame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom