• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not liking Corbyn, or his policies and ideological bent, or thinking he's unelectable aren't really mutually exclusive reasoning for wanting to oust him.
AfyZF2V.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
David Miliband would have been an awful candidate. We talk about Blairites fairly loosely, but he was an actual Blairite. It would have split the party even earlier than the current predicament. As for Chuka, don't know where his credit is coming from. He's neither charismatic nor a particularly good media performer, plus his cupboard is full of skeletons and quite probably sex toys. Doesn't bother me, but Middle England wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Jarvis is not really from my side of the party, but he alone is a genuine contender. Maybe also Keir Starmer, I guess. It certainly isn't Angela Eagle.

tomtom94

Chuka got into the news recently for starting a website to hold the Leave campaign to account, which I'd assumed was a precursor to a proper leadership bid.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not liking Corbyn, or his policies and ideological bent, or thinking he's unelectable aren't really mutually exclusive reasoning for wanting to oust him.
AfyZF2V.gif

At least if they'd admitted from the beginning that his policies were the issue and not his electability, the discussion could have taken place in good faith.

tomtom94

At least if they'd admitted from the beginning that his policies were the issue and not his electability, the discussion could have taken place in good faith.
The refusals to serve in the shadow cabinet not ten minutes after the leadership election were basically proof it was an ideological issue.

The logic was sound but the effect was to prove Corbyn correct in his assessment of the PLP.

Hazzuh

Chuka isn't running for leader. He doesn't want the press to publish whatever dirt they have on him.

For some people his policies are the issue. For some people it is about electibility, for some people it is about competence. The thing about Corbyn is there are so many reasons not to support him. It's totally absurd to treat the PLP like a monolith the way you are. Do you think people like Lisa Nandy differ with Corbyn on policy that significantly?

The general problem is that, whilst theoretically what people vote on in a general election is their local representative in the House of Commons, in practice most of the populations perception of politics comes down to what is nationally facing - that is, the senior party officials (cabinet/shadow cabinet) or whoever appears on any TV debates.

Whether the original purpose or not, the fact is that politics in this country are almost entirely campaigned on a party rather than individual basis. I think you'd honestly be hard pressed, outside of a thread like this where people are perhaps unusually politically engaged, to find someone who didn't vote for their MP based entirely on the party manifesto or their political leader. The fact is, that's who actually has the power to actually do anything, as any single MP is ineffectual in their own right.

So whilst it's entirely semantically right to say that, since the makeup of the commons in unchanged, it's entirely up to the reigning government to elect their new leader, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for anyone to feel hard done by for having their choice imposed upon them, because it's not how their run their election campaign in the first place.

Right, but I wasn't really talking in a semantic way. May's been in Cameron's cabinet since day 1, she backed Cameron during his leadership bid, she was in a high-profile ministerial position etc. Short of Osborne being PM, she's as close to a continuity-candidate as is possible, realistically. So yeah, she's not the person that a lot of people had in mind when casting their ballots in 2015 (both in favour of and against Cam-Man), but the government we're going to get won't be all that different. If it had been Boris or Fox or Leadsom I think we'd be looking at a different situation and a GE would be a more reasonable request. But this is much more akin to a Blair -> Brown scenario, where it's sort of a case of Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss.

PJV3

Likewise, I'm personally pretty fond of the idea that being right wing is symptomatic of some sort of pathologic stupidy and xenophobia.

If you are a UKIP supporter then I think there is a good chance of that.(that was what was being compared to liking Corbyn)

Perhaps I'm getting old but Corbyn isn't that left wing to be in the truly crazy camp, however I realise he isn't going to fly at all in the UK in 2016 with a FPTP voting system.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't understand why you think the two are separable.

They aren't wholly seperable. But the key from the whole campaign, for me, was Blair saying that he wouldn't vote for Corbyn even if he thought he would win a General Election. If the PLP had said this a year ago--when, given that Eagle is their candidate, it's a reasonable assumption about what they believe--then the debate would have been drawn along wholly different lines.

Hazzuh

They aren't wholly seperable. But the key from the whole campaign, for me, was Blair saying that he wouldn't vote for Corbyn even if he thought he would win a General Election. If the PLP had said this a year ago--when, given that Eagle is their candidate, it's a reasonable assumption about what they believe--then the debate would have been drawn along wholly different lines.

The PLP isn't a hivemind. They don't have some coherent POV on this and if they did it definitely wouldn't be articulated by Blair. Plenty of people on the left of the party want Corbyn to go.

Baybars

Banned
As a Corbinite, of those I'd only consider switching to Dan Jarvis (and no way in hell I'd vote for David Miliband)

David milliband in his short private sector career has done more international humanitarian organisations than corbyn the self proclaimed leftie has ever done

For some people his policies are the issue. For some people it is about electibility, for some people it is about competence. The thing about Corbyn is there are so many reasons not to support him. It's totally absurd to treat the PLP like a monolith the way you are. Do you think people like Lisa Nandy differ with Corbyn on policy that significantly?

It was almost always about policies. Just nobody could really say it because it would play nicely into Corbyn's narrative so they needed to hide behind excuses.
At this point Labour is unelectable Corbyn or not. They lost Scotland and most of the New Labour voters have moved back to the Tories for good.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
says all you want about modern politics when labour's desperate plea for coherent and unifying leadership is followed by a rolling tumbleweed.

Maledict

I agree. He should never have actually been nominated in the first place.

You have no idea how much the MPs regret doing that. At least two consider it the worst mistake of their lives. The PLP has the nomination rules for a reason, and they side stepped them trying to be clever and just shot themselves in the foot instead.

They should honestly just life the Tory rules at this point, but retain the £3 members or whatever.

Meadows

Banned
Guardian:

Cameron says May will become PM on Wednesday afternoon

David Cameron says he will chair his last cabinet tomorrow.

He will take PMQs on Wednesday.

And by Wednesday evening there will be a new PM, he says.

Jackpot

Banned
Eagle definitely seems worse than Corbyn on the face of it. It seems he's going to hang on so now the Labour party's going to get a massive hit for nothing.

However I don't blame MPs for trying to unseat him. It was definitely needed. I blame them for failing.

David Miliband couldn't beat Ed, and we all saw how well Ed did (I love Ed, I think he'd have been a great PM, and we wouldn't be going through all this shit if he'd won, but come on).

David only lost because of union voting in the last round.

For some people his policies are the issue. For some people it is about electibility, for some people it is about competence.

Bolded my view entirely.

Meadows

Banned
FTSE 250 now at pre-referendum levels, when the market priced in a Remain vote.

EDIT

Sorry, misread, still 1% down. Pretty much there though.

Maledict

FTSE 250 now at pre-referendum levels, when the market priced in a Remain vote.

Unsurprising - we have a PM, and the markets crave stability more than anything. Until article 50 is triggered I dont think we will see major falls - the big problem right now is the massive drop in investment as no-one wants to commit.

The pain of this will be felt in months and years, not days and weeks.

Meadows

Banned
Cammo's last PMQ on Weds. Reckon he'll go out guns blazing.

Odds on him confirming the existence of a lizard person Illuminati?

I'll take 10/1 if anyone is offering.

sasliquid

Cammo's last PMQ on Weds. Reckon he'll go out guns blazing.

Odds on him confirming the existence of a lizard person Illuminati?

I'll take 10/1 if anyone is offering.

I hope at least one MP calls him a w*nker

Edit: Actually I'll miss him, just like when the LIb Dems were removed from the coalition we now get to see how much worse it can be

Meadows

Banned
My prediction for the main cabinet positions:

PM: May
Foreign: Hammond
Brexit minister: Gove
Home: Fallon
Chancellor: Osborne

Meadows

Banned
Osborne surely has to go...

Doubt it, he's actually - fiscally - quite a good chancellor, and the markets like him.

Also he's balls deep into a 2 week world tour to drum up British business so imagine how unprofessional it would look for him to go into Xi Jinping's residence and be like "yo, I'll be gone in like a week but free trade yeah?"

Beefy

Doubt it, he's actually - fiscally - quite a good chancellor, and the markets like him.

Also he's balls deep into a 2 week world tour to drum up British business so imagine how unprofessional it would look for him to go into Xi Jinping's residence and be like "yo, I'll be gone in like a week but free trade yeah?"

He isn't a good chancellor though..

sasliquid

Also I feel Johnson will try to push May out before the 2020 election, so she'll have to suffer the post-brexit crap and he can leap in. I just doubt we are blessed enough to be rid of him that easily.

I wonder what is the first crazy law she tries to bring in?

Investigatory Powers Bill for sure. The House of Lords are going over it right now, and having its architect and chief proponent as Prime Minister will place more pressure on them than ever.

I'm sick of reading all these labour MPs complaining on twitter about how awful the situation is, instead of doing everything they can to stop this madness. Eagle is 100% GOING TO LOSE, WHY ARE THEY LETTING THIS HAPPEN?

Meadows

Banned
Also I feel Johnson will try to push May out before the 2020 election, so she'll have to suffer the post-brexit crap and he can leap in. I just doubt we are blessed enough to be rid of him that easily.

no, he's done

buried.

the nation will remember him as a coward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom