• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomtom94

I could see Gove keeping Justice (he has done a good job there and now we have to replace the ECHR, might as well be him). Johnson will presumably be moved to the backbench. Not sure about Osborne - think he's too tarnished by the threat of a punishment Budget but I dread to think who might replace him.

Most worrying thought is what reward she might have planned for Grayling, or if she will dangle something in front of IDS to keep him happy. Either of them as Home Sec?

Maledict

She'll be the new PM on Wednesday? That's really quick, I thought it'd take longer.

Our system is brutally efficient at changeovers in power. When they happen they happen *fast* and without any mercy. Witness in 2010 Brown going to the palace to resign and how fast that was - and how he immediately lost the use of his car and security detail the instant it happened.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You have no idea how much the MPs regret doing that. At least two consider it the worst mistake of their lives. The PLP has the nomination rules for a reason, and they side stepped them trying to be clever and just shot themselves in the foot instead.

They should honestly just life the Tory rules at this point, but retain the £3 members or whatever.

I have some inkling of how much they regret doing it, since they went on record mere days later saying how stupid they felt.

And yes, I was going to suggest that Eagle's first act as the new leader of the party should be to scrap the leadership election system.

My only hope--and this is probably too pie-in-the-sky--is that after this whole debacle the Labour party actually sits down and thinks about what it actually stands for.

Doubt it, he's actually - fiscally - quite a good chancellor, and the markets like him.

This is surely a joke. The markets might like him, but he's absolute garbage as a chancellor.

Mr. Sam

I could see Gove keeping Justice (he has done a good job there and now we have to replace the ECHR, might as well be him).

I don't think we do have to replace the European Court of Human Rights, who have jurisdiction over signatories of the European Convention of Human Rights, not just members of the EU. Even May has publicly dropped her objection to it.

Maledict

I have some inkling of how much they regret doing it, since they went on record mere days later saying how stupid they felt.

And yes, I was going to suggest that Eagle's first act as the new leader of the party should be to scrap the leadership election system.

My only hope--and this is probably too pie-in-the-sky--is that after this whole debacle the Labour party actually sits down and thinks about what it actually stands for.

The problem is it stands for two different things. It's going through the same structural changes the democrats went through a decade ago. It's very difficult to mix a white, working class voting base with an liberal metropolitan urban base. Unfortunately for labour, unlike in the USA we aren't yet at the point where the latter is big enough to win elections in its own so they have to appeal to both. Which is harder and harder to do.

Meadows

Banned
This is surely a joke. The markets might like him, but he's absolute garbage as a chancellor.

GDP growth, progress in cutting deficit and large reductions in unemployment (especially youth unemployment), the UK being the fastest growing economy in the OECD.

He didn't do enough on productivity or the current acc deficit, but I think that he'd get a 7/10 by most neutrals (such as myself, a dead centrist).

Obviously you are welcome to disagree and I'd be interested to hear your perspective.

tomtom94

I don't think we do have to replace the European Court of Human Rights, who have jurisdiction over signatories of the European Convention of Human Rights, not just members of the EU. Even May has publicly dropped her objection to it.

British Bill of Rights?

Hazzuh

Osborne doesn't really have any credibility at this point, I imagine he will go and sulk on the backbenches for a while and maybe be let back in to the fold in a few years. Don't see how he can remain chancellor when May doesn't seem to have any commitment to deficit reduction.

Arksy

Interim leaders only. Margaret Beckett once and Harriet Harman twice.

I find British Toryism rather fascinating. I was shocked to hear that the UK had a gay PM more than four decades ago. They elected their first muslim to parliament over a hundred years ago. Australian Toryism on the other hand, has been far less diverse.

I'm sick of reading all these labour MPs complaining on twitter about how awful the situation is, instead of doing everything they can to stop this madness. Eagle is 100% GOING TO LOSE, WHY ARE THEY LETTING THIS HAPPEN?

They can't do anything at this point.Even if they elected a more centrist leader they would still piss of a lot of people and lose come GE time.
Most of them are preparing to leave anyway and go to that new Tory-lite party they are preparing with the Lib Dems.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I find British Toryism rather fascinating. I was shocked to hear that the UK had a gay PM more than four decades ago. They elected their first muslim to parliament over a hundred years ago. Australian Toryism on the other hand, has been far less diverse.

... and the first woman MP in 1919

I'm sick of reading all these labour MPs complaining on twitter about how awful the situation is, instead of doing everything they can to stop this madness. Eagle is 100% GOING TO LOSE, WHY ARE THEY LETTING THIS HAPPEN?

Everyone will lose, so you have to look at other variables. What other effects will the various potential leaders have?

They can't do anything at this point.Even if they elected a more centrist leader they would still lose come GE time.
Most of them are preparing to leave anyway and go to that new Tory-lite party they are preparing with the Lib Dems.

it's not even about political leanings at this point: blairites, brownites, corbynistas etc. It's all bullshit. The leader of the Labour Party needs to be a personality capable of winning a general election; Angela Eagle couldn't even get through her campaign launch without a self-immolation routine.

Condom

The "Corbyn debate" is honestly so tedious. He needs to go. He should have gone a while ago, it hardly matters why at this point.
No that would be bullshit, it would be surrendering to the dirty politics of the right of the party and their media friends.

Either you have a legitimate reason or you don't. If it really is leadership people can just elect another left-wing candidate.

Beefy

GDP growth, progress in cutting deficit and large reductions in unemployment (especially youth unemployment), the UK being the fastest growing economy in the OECD.

He didn't do enough on productivity or the current acc deficit, but I think that he'd get a 7/10 by most neutrals (such as myself, a dead centrist).

Obviously you are welcome to disagree and I'd be interested to hear your perspective.

You do know unemployment is fabricated right?

Hazzuh

No that would be bullshit, it would be surrendering to the dirty politics of the right of the party and their media friends.

Either you have a legitimate reason or you don't. If it really is leadership people can just elect another left-wing candidate.

Lots of people (myself included) would have been happy if Corbyn stepped down and endorsed another candidate who's politics he agreed with. They would have dominated a leadership election with Corbyn's backing and we wouldn't be in this whole mess.

They probably consider her a stalking horse candidate. A candidate who tries to trigger a leadership election opening it up for other other candidates without making them look bad if there is no competition. On the other hand the choices for last leadership election were so bad she might actually be the best possible option.

Tacitus_

Our system is brutally efficient at changeovers in power. When they happen they happen *fast* and without any mercy. Witness in 2010 Brown going to the palace to resign and how fast that was - and how he immediately lost the use of his car and security detail the instant it happened.

Oh. I just expected a smoother transition of maybe a week or two to get the new guy up and running, not this "ok, you start in two days, bye".

That one practically did itself by removing 16-18 year olds from the unemployment statistics completely, thanks to the revamped requirements to be in school or other education until 18.

Beefy

That one practically did itself by removing 16-18 year olds from the unemployment statistics completely, thanks to the revamped requirements to be in school or other education until 18.

Also people on JSA that work at a volunteer are counted as working. I was counted as working when on ESA and doing 3hrs volunteer work a week.

They probably consider her a stalking horse candidate. A candidate who tries to trigger a leadership election opening it up for other other candidates without making them look bad if there is no competition.

Angela Eagle said she hopes nobody else joins the race, and splitting the anti-corbyn vote between a few different candidates would just guarantee Corbyn would cling on. The way Eagle answers questions on the subject makes me think she believes(hopes?) Jeremy Corbyn would need to find the support of 51 MPs to get on the ballot, and that he'd struggle to do so.

In general, the 'stalking horse' hypothesis just seems way more strategic and pragmatic than the PLP have shown themselves to be capable of. Much easier to post resignation letters on twitter and cry.

If Corbyn is automatically on the ballot, it has to be her and no other candidates for it to have a chance of working.

If not, and others need nominations, that changes things and then the stalking horse strategy might work - in the event Corbyn can't make up the numbers. But I guess it's easier to just focus on her.

If Corbyn is automatically on the ballot, it has to be her and no other candidates for it to have a chance of working.

If not, and others need nominations, that changes things and then the stalking horse strategy might work - in the event Corbyn can't make up the numbers. But I guess it's easier to just focus on her.

IF it's the latter, the more candidates to spread the votes of MPs the better (if your goal is to eliminate Corbyn from the equation, anyway).

Bold One

In other news Angela Eagle's leadership election logo looks like a daytime TV title card.

_90351405_eaglepic.jpg

dafuq is this?

with each passing day this country becomes more and more a parody of itself

Bold One

You do know that like 40% of the people in these towns voted Remain right? Not every person there voted Leave and hates immigrants.

This is a horrible thing to say.
I wasn't just targeting leavers
we will all of us suffer
and we took our hands off the wheel, let charlatans and vagabonds poison our minds,
now we will face the consequences.

I hope you all enjoy working well into your 70s and 80s

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The problem is it stands for two different things. It's going through the same structural changes the democrats went through a decade ago. It's very difficult to mix a white, working class voting base with an liberal metropolitan urban base. Unfortunately for labour, unlike in the USA we aren't yet at the point where the latter is big enough to win elections in its own so they have to appeal to both. Which is harder and harder to do.

That's why the discussion needs to be had. If they don't then these issues aren't going to go away.

I mean, is that a bad thing?

I mean, yes, it could potentially be beneficial, but that's not the reason the politicians did it. It didn't really reduce unemployment at all, and if those people wanted, they could already stay in college from 16-18.

I'm reminded of this webcomic..

20130418.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom