• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, David Davis, the Brexit secretary, and Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, will get joint use of Chevening, the grace and favour home traditionally used by the foreign secretary.

This seems like a great idea. Sounds like a gladiators fight in the making. At he end one should emerge victorious and with a trade deal.

BigAl1992

It is increasingly feeling like a stitch up of the leading leavers.

It already felt like that the moment the cabinet positions were announced. Hell, a lot of people in this thread alone and that one made for the announcements were saying that May was basically giving the Leave figure heads in the Tories enough rope to hang themselves with with those positions.

cabot

It already felt like that the moment the cabinet positions were announced. Hell, a lot of people in this thread alone and that one made for the announcements were saying that May was basically giving the Leave figure heads in the Tories enough rope to hang themselves with with those positions.

I was surprised Davis is already causing problems not even a week in the job yet.

BigAl1992

I was surprised Davis is already causing problems not even a week in the job yet.

All the more reason what I just said makes sense. The more Davis digs himself in the hole in a short space of time, the quicker May can undermine him in the public eye and bury him in that hole.

Zaph

It is increasingly feeling like a stitch up of the leading leavers.

As bad as things look, I just can't shake the feeling May is too smart and proud to let her name forever be tarnished as the PM who exited the EU.

Maybe if they're able to sell Leavers on a "great" deal (Norway+, EU status-quo just with no vote), but anything short of that would signal a steady but serious decline of the UK, a breakup of the kingdom, and all for nothing. May has to know that and she doesn't strike me as an ideologue willing to take that hit for the hardline Brexiters.

As bad as things look, I just can't shake the feeling May is too smart and proud to let her name forever be tarnished as the PM who exited the EU.

Maybe if they're able to sell Leavers on a "great" deal (Norway+, EU status-quo just with no vote), but anything short of that would signal a steady but serious decline of the UK, a breakup of the kingdom, and all for nothing. May has to know that and she doesn't strike me as an ideologue willing to take that hit for the hardline Brexiters.

What's the word in Scotland on EEA?`Would they be inclined to stay in the UK under such circumstances?

chadskin

ARM founder is apparently not too happy about this

CnpJGR0XEAAv_Ib.jpg

What's the word in Scotland on EEA?`Would they be inclined to stay in the UK under such circumstances?

It's pretty hard to say under the current circumstances since we don't know exactly what's going to happen so it's all conjecture... I'd be inclined to support staying if an EEA deal was accompanied with a large enough transfer of powers that Scotland would be able to re-join as a full member without too much hassle (it's only fair we would have some political say in the EU if we sign up to all the rules and regulations and contribute to the budget anyway, but politically it would probably be easier if the UK leaves as a single unit and some regions re-apply afterwards). Importantly the devolution settlement should also be re-written to give the Scottish government formal powers to veto bullshit like this if it affects us in the future. That's going to be tough to accept but is IMHO the only way this would be anything but another small step towards full independence -- history has taught us time after time that political unions are ultimately not dismantled by separatists on their own, but rather by the largest partner changing the terms of the union against the wishes of the other partners. If you want to preserve the union in the long term you will have to accept that Scotland (and NI, and Wales) must be treated as equal partners and devolve powers where there are considerable political differences rather than steamroll their wishes.

Regardless of what kind of offer is made in the end, the biggest problem any future No campaign would have to deal with is that this entire farce has essentially validated every single Yes argument about how the current arrangement allows Scotland to be fucked up the arse against its wishes, not just in parliamentary elections which are held again every 5 years but possibly for a generation, and proved that the politics of Scotland is fundamentally different from that of England in some crucial areas. It's already looking likely that both Scottish Labour and Lib Dems will either stay neutral or even campaign for independence if there's not a fundamental change to the terms of the union, so you might be looking at the Tories being the only party in favour of the union in the next referendum if there is no decisive action that genuinely addresses these issues.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The most important thing is that EEA is seen as just a step toward full Brexit by a lot of leavers, so I don't know if Scotland can feel safe with that. And it just needs one vote on limiting the freedom of movement to be cancelled. Sounds like the perfect trap.

CTLance

Say, are there any regulatory bodies in the EU that could intervene in the ARM sale? I mean, technically, UK is still an EU member state, and ARM is a hugely important tech asset, so ...

Would be hilarious, if it were to happen.

Jackpot

Banned
UK may see a permanent reduction in size of economy.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...st-endure-short-sharp-shock-after-brexit-vote

The UK economy will have to weather a short, sharp shock, with Brexit uncertainty holding back both business investment and consumer spending, according to a leading economic forecasting group.

In April, Item said the UK’s GDP would grow by 2.6% in 2017 – a figure it now expects to be barely 0.4%. It expects the pound to have fallen 15% in a year by the end of 2016, and decline further through the decade.

Peter Spencer, chief economic adviser at Item, said: “Longer-term, the UK may have to adjust to a permanent reduction in the size of the economy, compared with the trend that seemed possible prior to the vote.”

I can't believe we're at the mercy of idiots who saw our stable recovery and thought "Hmm, this looks too easy. Let's shoot ourselves in the foot." But that's the consequences of Isolationism.

SteveWD40

Indeed, she won't let this be her swan song just to make some back bench lunatics happy. Right now she is dancing to the tune she has to, but giving Scotland a defacto veto and stating we have to be "ready" to go (we never will be) is a step towards a GE / indyref2.

Dascu

Say, are there any regulatory bodies in the EU that could intervene in the ARM sale? I mean, technically, UK is still an EU member state, and ARM is a hugely important tech asset, so ...

Would be hilarious, if it were to happen.

No, unless DG Competition thinks there would be an antitrust violation (i.e. the merger/takeover would lead to an abusive dominant market position). Not very likely in this case, I think.

CTLance

No, unless DG Competition thinks there would be an antitrust violation (i.e. the merger/takeover would lead to an abusive dominant market position). Not very likely in this case, I think.
Darn. Oh well, it was a nice dream, even if only for a second. :D

Looks like some of the remaining EU member-states are looking to pressure the UK into invoking article 50 sooner rather than later:

EU Said to Eye ‘Nuclear Option’ to Force May’s Hand on Exit
As the new British prime minister pushes back talks on leaving the European Union, officials on the continent have begun to float what they call “the nuclear option” to bring her to table: suspending Britain’s voting rights in EU institutions.

Several member states have started looking at whether that would be feasible by invoking Article 7 of the Lisbon Treaty, according to two European officials who spoke on condition of anonymity. That would mean arguing that the U.K. is no longer cooperating in good faith with the bloc in order to pressure May into ending the post-referendum limbo. The EU’s harshest sanctioning procedure has never been deployed before and three other officials in Brussels said it was too heavy-handed to even be considered.

Even then, actually suspending Britain’s voting rights would be an aggressive move and its proponents might struggle to muster sufficient support. Twenty-three member states would have to agree that May was shirking her duty to cooperate in good faith with the rest of the bloc and Latvia, for example, doesn’t view the punitive approach as “reasonable,” Martin Dregeris, a spokesman for the Baltic nation’s foreign ministry, said in an e-mail Friday.

But life could still get uncomfortable for May with far less support. A demand from either the EU Commission, the Parliament or a third of member states would force the British leader to defend her tactics in front of EU leaders and then face a vote. That prospect in itself might be enough of a deterrent to further stalling.

Bloomberg.com

UK may see a permanent reduction in size of economy.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...st-endure-short-sharp-shock-after-brexit-vote

I can't believe we're at the mercy of idiots who saw our stable recovery and thought "Hmm, this looks too easy. Let's shoot ourselves in the foot." But that's the consequences of Isolationism.

A lot of Brexiters have outright stated that they simply don't care about the economy as long as they can keep the immigrants out/take back 'sovereignty'. It's depressing.

SKINNER!

Banned
ARM founder is apparently not too happy about this

CnpJGR0XEAAv_Ib.jpg

"becoming smaller and smaller in the tech industry"

No kidding. While other nations are handing out tax breaks for video game companies and tech startups. The UK has ignored the tech industry and most companies see no huge benefit in being here. How many UK based video game companies shut down or jumped ship? How many major tech companies moved offices/factories over to Eastern Europe or Asia? Tech industry don't mean shit to politicians here.

kmag

A good if a tad superficial read on trade deals.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexitvote/2...uddled-about-trade-deals-heres-how-they-work/

The realities of trade policy

Bilateral trade negotiations tend to follow three simple principles. First, in any bargain, the alternative to the deal on the table is to walk away from it. The better the alternative of “no deal,” the stronger the negotiating position. It follows that market size equals bargaining strength, because the bigger partner needs the smaller partner less than vice versa. Second, patience is a virtue: if one side can hold out a bit longer than the other, it will get the better deal. Lastly, even though we’d all be better off in a world without trade barriers, countries need to hold on to theirs so that they can offer to reduce them in exchange for access to the other party’s market.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Can't believe the media let May spin ARM being sold as a good thing for the UK, all those people voting Brexit so the UK can reclaim it's place in the world and within a month the last British company to have any kind of global impact in the technology market has been sold to the far east.

Lego Boss

Can't believe the media let May spin ARM being sold as a good thing for the UK, all those people voting Brexit so the UK can reclaim it's place in the world and within a month the last British company to have any kind of global impact in the technology market has been sold to the far east.

This pissed me off too. Suddenly we're a good place to do business with copious amounts of inward investment.

Except ARM has been going since before shell suits were a thing and DIDN'T just start-up overnight like a Christmas paraphenalia pop-up.

Do you think that the nation's voting population are stupid?

Oh, hang on a minute . . . .

I'm sad about ARM too but it's symptomatic of UK people. You see it in business and even the games industry.

What usually happens is great companies are started and then get sold off to for example MS, Sony, Nintendo, key people leave or sell up to others. We get to a certain point and we are happy to cash in, we seem contempt with our lot we got instead of taking the company to greater heights. We had so many great brands in the car industry all sold off to people abroad. Perhaps in some way it is being more global. For example if football clubs try to keep foreign buyers out then no single country can really take it further, you need to be open to foreign billionaires. English football has dwarfed everything in terms of money deals.

kmax

Brexit Secretary David Davis recently claimed that it was entirely possible to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world within 2 years, adding that it would be larger than EU's single market whilst at the same time claiming that the UK could negotiate tariff-free access to the single market. Davis is now claiming that the scope of these trade areas the UK will be able to negotiate will be up to 10 times bigger than the European Union. That's an incredible feat considering the fact that the EU is the second biggest economy in the world (right behind China).

To put this into perspective, according to 2015 numbers from the International Monetary Fund, the UK's share was at around 2.36% while the EU was at 16.918%. Excluding the UK, the EU would have roughly 14.56%. 10 times that is 145,6% of the world's 100%, or roughly 1.5 the size of the world's economy.

1.5 times bigger than the world economy combined.

c4jt321.png

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Brexit Secretary David Davis recently claimed that it was entirely possible to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world within 2 years, adding that it would be larger than EU's single market whilst at the same time claiming that the UK could negotiate tarrif-free access to the single market. Davis is now claiming that the scope of these trades the UK will be able to negotiate will be up to 10 times bigger than the European Union. That's an incredible feat considering the fact that the EU is the second biggest economy in the world (right behind China).

To put this into perspective, according to 2015 numbers from the International Monetary Fund, the UK's share was at around 2.36% while the EU was at 16.918%. Excluding the UK, the EU would have roughly 14.56%. 10 times that is 145,6% of the world's 100%, or roughly 1.5 the size of the world's economy.

c4jt321.png

Maybe Davis plans to hire Trump as a negotiator?

Brexit Secretary David Davis recently claimed that it was entirely possible to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world within 2 years, adding that it would be larger than EU's single market whilst at the same time claiming that the UK could negotiate tarrif-free access to the single market. Davis is now claiming that the scope of these trade areas the UK will be able to negotiate will be up to 10 times bigger than the European Union. That's an incredible feat considering the fact that the EU is the second biggest economy in the world (right behind China).

c4jt321.png

I suspect if pressed the man would argue he's talking geographically. Economically though it is rather bonkers.

I suspect if pressed the man would argue he's talking geographically. Economically though it is rather bonkers.

No one talks about trade deals in terms of geographic area. Finland is almost the same geographic size as Germany but one of those is a considerably more important trade partner.

Whatever way he meant it, it's a sign of ignorance and incompetence.

BigAl1992

Brexit Secretary David Davis recently claimed that it was entirely possible to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world within 2 years, adding that it would be larger than EU's single market whilst at the same time claiming that the UK could negotiate tarrif-free access to the single market. Davis is now claiming that the scope of these trade areas the UK will be able to negotiate will be up to 10 times bigger than the European Union. That's an incredible feat considering the fact that the EU is the second biggest economy in the world (right behind China).

c4jt321.png

The man is clearly deluded if he believes such a feat is even possible, or he's really just opening fire with his mouth without realising what he's saying.

Case in point; he called a possible border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland on sky news as an internal border, as if ROI was part of the UK. Any five year old could tell you that isn't the case.

PJV3

The man is clearly deluded if he believes such a feat is even possible, or he's really just opening fire with his mouth without realising what he's saying.

Case in point; he called a possible border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland on sky news as an internal border, as if ROI was part of the UK. Any five year old could tell you that isn't the case.

I have heard Davis is like Boris in that they don't do details, all that matters is we leave. Taking the people who voted to remain into consideration in his mind is making the exit swift and clean, he's a one track minded loon.

Hey he said area! They will export to Canadian north and like it!

I seem to recall that the Antactic was the only place with slower GDP growth than us. They would surely welcome a deal and they're 3x the size of the EU!

The more Davis talks, the surer I am that May is just giving him plenty of rope to hang himself with.
How on Earth does he expect anyone to have a deal ready to sign before our partners even know what our deal with the EU is, and before we even know what our own trade barriers are (both tariff and non-tariff).

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I feel sad about ARM as well, but wasn't this potentially just an acceleration of the inevitable? I'm actually surprised that it lasted in British ownership this long - really interested in how, as most other tech companies would have been gobbled up a long time ago.

Faddy

Banned
I feel sad about ARM as well, but wasn't this potentially just an acceleration of the inevitable? I'm actually surprised that it lasted in British ownership this long - really interested in how, as most other tech companies would have been gobbled up a long time ago.

I think everyone was happy with the status quo on ARM. The company provided a stable environment for developing a standard instruction set which is good for all manufacturers. It also helped that ARM didn't compete with their customers so there were no self interest in holding back or restricting the platform. They issued flexible licenses to build on which is why there is good competition in the ARM space from Qualcomm, Samsung, Nvidia and Apple all trying to build the best chips.

There would have been all sorts of regulatory commitments to overcome for any major manufacturer to buy ARM since they would be actively harming the competition if there was a change in how ARM licenses their technology.

I'm not sure many of ARMs licensees will be celebrating this takeover, but there is little they can do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom