• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie_C

Neo Member
Pretty much sums up Brexit, if you ask me. The pooper the location, the more reliant they were for EU funding, only this time it was a region that voted in favour on staying in the EU.

That kinda thing is business as usual here. Just seems the rest of the UK has devolved into the same hypocrisy in the past few weeks.

I don't think we can definitely know that. For all we know he could be talking about the mob in Egypt that killed priests.

Would be a bit weird to refer twice to that incident when trying to paint a picture of a world in crisis (look at e.g. 19:40, 28:20) instead of the strategically much more important country in the middle of the brutal aftermath of an attempted military coup on the other side of the Mediterranean. If he genuinely meant to emphasise things that way he has pretty fucked up priorities but I guess it's possible since he never specifies what situation or incident he refers to in Egypt.

Edit: Reuters don't exactly sound convinced:

Johnson on two occasions said that one of the issues he would be seeking to tackle was the burgeoning "crisis in Egypt". It was not clear what he was talking about, but the foreign office said he had intended to say Egypt.

I also missed this exchange in the video:

He did get a break from Kerry, who said the U.S. ambassador in Brussels had referred to Johnson as a "very smart and capable man". Kerry added: "That's the Boris Johnson I intend to work with."

"I can live with that," said a rather sheepish-looking Johnson, prompting Kerry to reply: "It's called diplomacy Boris."

ShutEye

And that would be? I'm really not seeing it. I think they're all nuts.

May is giving them the ropes to hang themselves with.

If they turn out competent, fine. If not, she throws them under a bus when they make asses of themselves and plays hero for the hour.

Jackpot

Banned
Would be a bit weird to refer twice to that incident when trying to paint a picture of a world in crisis (look at e.g. 19:40, 28:20) instead of the strategically much more important country in the middle of the brutal aftermath of an attempted military coup on the other side of the Mediterranean. If he genuinely meant to emphasise things that way he has pretty fucked up priorities but I guess it's possible since he never specifies what situation or incident he refers to in Egypt.

Edit: Reuters don't exactly sound convinced:

Johnson on two occasions said that one of the issues he would be seeking to tackle was the burgeoning "crisis in Egypt". It was not clear what he was talking about, but the foreign office said he had intended to say Egypt.

I also missed this exchange in the video:

He did get a break from Kerry, who said the U.S. ambassador in Brussels had referred to Johnson as a "very smart and capable man". Kerry added: "That's the Boris Johnson I intend to work with."

"I can live with that," said a rather sheepish-looking Johnson, prompting Kerry to reply: "It's called diplomacy Boris."

Guardian also went with Turkey

Johnson twice referred to the crisis in Egypt, but was believed to be referring to Turkey.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...right-lies-uneasy-press-conference-john-kerry

Jezbollah

Rest easy kids. Boris might be a complete fool and out of his depth as Foreign Secretary - but he could have easily had ended up as our Prime Minister :)

Paulie_C

Neo Member
I did not know that. Is that true for much of, if not all Political business in Northern Ireland?

Well lets see over the past year or two we've had:
  • The First Minister insult all Muslims
  • A positive vote on gay matriage vetoed by a mechanism designed to prevent sectarian legislation
  • Riots due to Belfast city council vote to only fly the union flag on designated days (in line with other UK councils.

I could go on all day but it's a real shitstorm up here.

BigAl1992

• A positive vote on gay matriage vetoed by a mechanism designed to prevent sectarian legislation
  • Riots due to Belfast city council vote to only fly the union flag on designated days (in line with other UK councils.

Well....yeah. I forgot about all three points. Yeah, it's a mess than.

Kabouter

Wizz Air cuts UK growth plans on Brexit weakness
Eastern European-focused budget airline Wizz Air (WIZZ.L) slashed its UK growth plans as a result of Britain's vote to leave the EU and the weaker pound, and said it would redeploy planes to non-UK routes.

Wizz said on Wednesday that it was still confident of delivering on its underlying net profit forecast for the 12 months ended on March 31 despite changing its growth plans.

The airline in May guided to net profit of between 245 million euros and 255 million euros (206 - 214 million pounds).
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-wizz-air-hldgs-results-idUKKCN1000ER

2MF

Rest easy kids. Boris might be a complete fool and out of his depth as Foreign Secretary - but he could have easily had ended up as our Prime Minister :)

Instead we ended up with a prime minister who nominated Boris Johnson for foreign secretary. Yay!

Tuffty

Also, gay people couldn't donate blood until just recently because of religious reasons. I'm a Unionist but absolutely ashamed by the DUP's policies and behaviour. On the day of the result, the first caller into a popular radio show here, the first caller, asked when we can get the Union Jack flag back up on Belfast city hall. Not about the economy or politics, but a fucking flag she'll only see if she ever visits that one building in Belfast. It seems like more people here are concerned with petty shit or past grievances than stuff that actually matters going forward. From experience talking with other leave voters here, it was all about taking the country back and they're now wondering why there's talk of borders between North and South because it wasn't mentioned until now. Same with farmers voting to leave, I don't think a lot of people were fully informed on what this could mean for our country specifically going into the vote. Granted the country voted to Remain, but the Leave voters I know are asking more questions than before.

Well, whatever it's done, we'll make our own way through the result I guess, but I'm still unhappy with how the major political parties here in N.Ireland conduct themselves and how Protestant/Catholics still can't get over the past and move on. I fear with talks of borders that the situation here will get worse politically and economically. But we'll see.

pigeon

Banned
I still don't understand what the proper context for his comments are?

I mean, fair play to point out that Boris is a dick, but this is actually the sort of journalistic behavior that's not productive. Boris got asked the same question three times -- "what's the deal with you being an asshole?" Whether or not you think it's a fair question, the third repetition doesn't accomplish much.

I would much rather had someone ask him what crisis he thinks is happening in Egypt.

Bold One

So I was out yesterday in the city and went with a friend to the open cinema by Tower bridge where they were showing the Princess Bride,

and this guy came up

albino.jpg

accel

It seems pretty straightforward that May appointed Boris as a foreign secretary to have him fail at it (ie, she knew he wouldn't be good but did it regardless).

In other news, FTSE 250 is pretty much back to where it was before Brexit. Likely because while there is no plan, there is both an acknowledgement that there is no plan and the desire to have some semblance of it prior to activating article 50. Which is great.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I still don't understand what the proper context for his comments are?

They were the kind of drivel that journalists at right-wing papers are expected to write, it's painfully embarrassing when they are put to you in a press conference but I don't think any politician would be that bothered by them. If you want your pay check from the Barclays/Rothermeres of the world then you have to cough up some shit that gets their readers frothing, just like all newspaper columnists. Without Mail/Telegraph readers he wouldn't have a career.

I'm no fan of Boris but I don't think he believes most of the stuff he writes, I mean his first column after Brexit was essentially pro-EU. He's just a very cynical man, he'll say anything if it gets him a job.

watershed

Banned
Does anyone know where this press conference was held? I'm trying to get a transcript of the conference for a friend but can't find anything other than selected quotes in articles. My google-fu is weak basically, please help.

I think its taken from this press conference. Click the bottom link for the full video.

Bold One

That doesn't reflect well on her at all, if true.

Boris was the face of the Leave campaign, it was a diabolical strategy by May, she's given the rope to hang himself with. The Leave campaign and its voters will have more eggs on their faces. Good thing if you ask me, as our foreign relationships couldn't get much worse as is.

watershed

Banned
It seems pretty straightforward that May appointed Boris as a foreign secretary to have him fail at it (ie, she knew he wouldn't be good but did it regardless).

In other news, FTSE 250 is pretty much back to where it was before Brexit. Likely because while there is no plan, there is both an acknowledgement that there is no plan and the desire to have some semblance of it prior to activating article 50. Which is great.

I'm not sure that makes sense. So May is giving Boris some kind of cosmic karma or sticking it to the Leavers by intentionally ruining the UK's image abroad even more and potentially harming actual international diplomacy/foreign policy?

Meadows

Banned
Boris as FM was, in my opinion, because she wants the brexiters to show this utopian version of the world they have promised.

If it works, great, we're all better off, if it doesn't, then their reputations will be sullied forever.

Win win.

Alx

It would seem that a lot of your politics is based on expectation of failure (and then being in trouble when things don't fail as much as expected). How about aiming for success for a change ?
Yeah crazy idea, I know...

PJV3

Boris could do great damage from the backbenches, he has a lot of support and is happy to lie to get his way.

He's dangerous when he can pull any publicity stunt at any time, now he has to behave and be an utterly boring diplomat.

May has done the best she can with the situation.

accel

I'm not sure that makes sense. So May is giving Boris some kind of cosmic karma or sticking it to the Leavers by intentionally ruining the UK's image abroad even more and potentially harming actual international diplomacy/foreign policy?

I'd use a softer language, but yes, that's the gist - May isn't fond of the idea of leaving, but since she has to obey, she puts those who were advocating for leaving in front of the wheel no matter whether they are good or bad. I don't like what she's doing at all, I'd like her to own up to the idea of leaving instead of kind of distancing herself from it, but...

It would seem that a lot of your politics is based on expectation of failure (and then being in trouble when things don't fail as much as expected). How about aiming for success for a change ?
Yeah crazy idea, I know...

I'd like the same, not sure what's with "your" and the sarcasm.

Added: saw the reply, OK, understood.

tomtom94

I don't buy the "shrewd political move" thing. I think it's far more likely the Brexiteers dug in their heels and said they wanted to be in charge of foreign policy or they'd refuse to serve.

sohois

I don't buy the "shrewd political move" thing. I think it's far more likely the Brexiteers dug in their heels and said they wanted to be in charge of foreign policy or they'd refuse to serve.

May has far more power in such a situation though since she could just cancel Brexit.

Meadows

Banned
FT said:
Scotland’s economy stagnated at the start of the year, registering no growth in output.

GDP statistics released on Wednesday morning by the Scottish government show the economy remained completely flat in the three months ending March 30, reports Kiran Stacey. This compares to output growth of 0.4 per cent for the UK as a whole over the same period.

Measured over 12 months, Scotland’s annual growth hit just 0.6 per cent.

Quarterly growth from January to the end of March was helped along by a 0.4 per cent rise in services. This was counteracted by a drop in both production of 1.2 per cent, and construction of 1.5 per cent in the regions.

From the FT this morning (which you should all sub to by the way, it's great!).

Scotland is going to struggle methinks...

Meadows

Banned
Should be interesting to see what happens to this going forward.

At least we've built a pretty low unemployment economy so when it does get worse, it won't be like if it got worse in, for example, France.

Increasing unemployment at 4.9% is a lot easier to deal with than at 10% (as it is in France).

PJV3

May has far more power in such a situation though since she could just cancel Brexit.

She quietly announced she was chairing several committees yesterday that are related to Brexit, she's the boss and has a reputation for control freakery. She isn't letting them off the leash.

I think we will find out pretty quickly after starting the leaving process how it is going to go.

I don't believe this "giving brexiters enough rope to fail" business. She just doesn't want anything to do with Brexit. She is paying the whole thing lip service because she has to.

If they get a good deal, bad deal, in between it doesn't really matter. She is more concerned on finishing the work she started as home secretary.

Moosichu

At least we've built a pretty low unemployment economy so when it does get worse, it won't be like if it got worse in, for example, France.

Increasing unemployment at 4.9% is a lot easier to deal with than at 10% (as it is in France).

Do they have zero hour contracts in France?

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 55m55 minutes ago
Theresa May has told European Council president Donald Tusk that UK will relinquish its upcoming six-month presidency of the council in 2017

Unsurprising.

Alx

Do they have zero hour contracts in France?

I had to check to be sure. Technically it seems we do, but only for very specific jobs like spell-checkers or university temporary jobs. It doesn't exist for "regular" jobs, and the whole country would probably riot if there was a push for it.

Any projections on how the Lib Dems might do in the next general election?

Only thing I've heard about them recently is Farron saying he'd campaign to remain in the EU and backdoor rumblings of a new centrist party.

Could they bounce back after last year's washout?

Meadows

Banned
Any projections on how the Lib Dems might do in the next general election?

Only thing I've heard about them recently is Farron saying he'd campaign to remain in the EU and backdoor rumblings of a new centrist party.

Could they bounce back after last year's washout?

I think we have a decent chance. Although I don't love Farron, he's going to be popular with the electorate, wasn't tied to the coalition, voted against raising fees, and will paint Labour as far left and the Tories as far right.

He can also point to the excellent economic record under the LDs (and CONs) in government between 2010-15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom