• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
thats misleading because they only have to guarantee it for 6 to 15 months at most because the eu will be funding it until the UK gets out of the EU 2 years after triggering a50. We are looking at 2019 or 2020 before the EU money runs dry.

so if we leave by 2020 then art 50 triggered in 2018??

thats misleading because they only have to guarantee it for 6 to 15 months at most because the eu will be funding it until the UK gets out of the EU 2 years after triggering a50. We are looking at 2019 or 2020 before the EU money runs dry.

Fair enough, but that "EU money" is really just our own money that we give to the EU and that they give back to us, right? We are net contributors.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
noticing May is saying "some control" on the BBC report not total control, "element of control", back peddle.

Walshicus

Is this some new definition of "national security" that I'm not aware of?
What possible definition of national security could you have that *didn't* include food security??

And it's pretty damned obvious that the UK got more output from EU membership than it paid in.

Besides, Tories are ideologically incapable funding the various things the EU did to our benefit. I mean you don't trust them to do anything but gut the regional development funds, etc., do you?

LMFAO

Incredible. You can't even admit that the UK contributes to the EU more than it gets back. Even that's too much. Absolutely incredible.

The UK doesn't get less from the EU. That's the reality.

Claiming somethibg else is populism. There is a reason why the UK desperately want to access the single market.

LMFAO

Incredible. You can't even admit that the UK contributes to the EU more than it gets back. Even that's too much. Absolutely incredible.

Is that a reason to leave the damn thing, though? I'm curious how you would feel about Brexit-lite. This meaning full single market access, financial passporting, free movement, but no agricultural or fishing regulations and the ability to make your own trade deals. The single market is important, like it or not. When the US and Japan says that leaving the EU is a bad idea you should sit up and listen given that they're some of the most powerful economies in the world.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Is that a reason to leave the damn thing, though? I'm curious how you would feel about Brexit-lite. This meaning full single market access, financial passporting, free movement, but no agricultural or fishing regulations and the ability to make your own trade deals.

I really think we will get this type brexit, we pay to the EU but not funding, but then we will have to plug the gaps in funding,

Theonik

Fair enough, but that "EU money" is really just our own money that we give to the EU and that they give back to us, right? We are net contributors.
EU contributions and whether a nation is a net contributor or not, is quite a hazy matter. Yes, the UK is a net contributor in the pure sense if you only account for contributions and EU subsidies flowing back to the UK. But whether the UK can afford to spend the same money outside the EU is a different matter. The UK and other EU countries save a ton of money from offloading a very costly part of their expenses to the EU budget. If you leave the EU a good chunk of the money saved needs to go into covering those. Moreover, the money goes into paying for access to the single market and pay its administrative expenses. The increased revenue and economic benefit of the single market for member states and the additional tax revenues they bring can hardly be overstated.

Kyougar

LMFAO

The UK doesnt have to honor those subsidies themselves. The EU money was always paid for those regions regardless if the country itself was in a recession or not, if they had to do austerity or not.

Without the EU the UK can just cut the budget from 1 to 100% to their liking.

The EU pumped massive funds in those poor regions in the UK. The UK itself doesnt need to care, there are bankers in London who need those funds more.

kmag

image-1044700-galleryV9-jume-1044700.jpg

Where's Theresa?

Maledict

Are you guys joking? From bottom left:

Theresa is 2 right, 1 up. Boris is 9 along, 2 up...

I think the point is that the worlds 6th largest economy gets placed behind other people int he second row. France and Russia are both in the first row of the photo despite having smaller economies etc.

Kyougar

I think the point is that the worlds 6th largest economy gets placed behind other people int he second row. France and Russia are both in the first row of the photo despite having smaller economies etc.

and Merkel and Steinmeier are smack in the middle and front row.

Trumpets

Theonik said:
QuicheFontaine said:
EU contributions and whether a nation is a net contributor or not, is quite a hazy matter. Yes, the UK is a net contributor in the pure sense if you only account for contributions and EU subsidies flowing back to the UK. But whether the UK can afford to spend the same money outside the EU is a different matter. The UK and other EU countries save a ton of money from offloading a very costly part of their expenses to the EU budget. If you leave the EU a good chunk of the money saved needs to go into covering those. Moreover, the money goes into paying for access to the single market and pay its administrative expenses. The increased revenue and economic benefit of the single market for member states and the additional tax revenues they bring can hardly be overstated.

A simple 'yes' would have sufficed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A simple 'yes' would have sufficed.

No, it doesn't. If you say "the UK is a net tax contributor", and nothing else, people might think that if the UK left, it would have more money to spend. If you say "the UK is a net contributor, but contributes less than the gains of the single market", you accurately convey that if the UK left, it would not have more money to spend, while also describing the status quo.

To paraphrase Mencken, for every question there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Is that a reason to leave the damn thing, though? I'm curious how you would feel about Brexit-lite. This meaning full single market access, financial passporting, free movement, but no agricultural or fishing regulations and the ability to make your own trade deals. The single market is important, like it or not. When the US and Japan says that leaving the EU is a bad idea you should sit up and listen given that they're some of the most powerful economies in the world.

That's not gonna happen.

No, it doesn't. If you say "the UK is a net tax contributor", and nothing else, people might think that if the UK left, it would have more money to spend. If you say "the UK is a net contributor, but contributes less than the gains of the single market", you accurately convey that if the UK left, it would not have more money to spend, while also describing the status quo.

To paraphrase Mencken, for every question there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Again, what did people think we were paying (supposedly) £350 mill for?

Hmm, sounds alright to me. Pretty much sounds like EFTA membership.

EEA/EFTA is pretty much the closest thing nowadays to the 'original' EU (EEC back then) which was a full economic union and not a political one, I feel.

Jackpot

Banned
So it turns out when the Minister of Brexit said we're probably leaving the common market that was just his personal view and not the official view.

David Davis's single market stance 'not government policy'

PM distances herself from Brexit secretary’s remarks that staying in is ‘improbable’ as spokeswoman says she will be ‘ambitious’ in negotiations

David Davis was expressing his opinion rather than government policy when he said it would be unlikely for Britain to stay in the single market after Brexit negotiations, the prime minister’s spokeswoman has said.

The secretary of state for exiting the EU told MPs on Monday that the government’s priority was securing restrictions to European migration, and conceded that there could be an economic price to pay for that.

“This government is looking at every option but the simple truth is that if a requirement of membership is giving up control of our borders, I think that makes it very improbable,” he said, during a debate that followed his statement updating colleagues on Brexit planning so far.

But a senior Downing Street official sought to distance Theresa May from the statement. “He is setting out his view that [single market membership] is improbable,” the spokeswoman told journalists, adding that the work on the negotiations was ongoing. “The prime minister recognises that people have differing views and … all of this has to be negotiated with European partners. The prime minister’s view is that we should be ambitious and go after the best deal we can. The secretary of state said we want the best deal for trades and services: that is what the prime minister is doing.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...is-single-market-stance-not-government-policy

"Theresa May will get the best deals, the most ambitious deals, the most beautiful deals!"

Xun

My brain hurts reading Leave voters comment on Facebook.

I honestly can't wait to laugh at their complaints when we do actually leave.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
My brain hurts reading Leave voters comment on Facebook.

I honestly can't wait to laugh at their complaints when we do actually leave.
Under the new BRA laughing at anything related to Brexit is punishable by having to speak to farage

PJV3

Par Score

So it turns out when the Minister of Brexit said we're probably leaving the common market that was just his personal view and not the official view.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...is-single-market-stance-not-government-policy

"Theresa May will get the best deals, the most ambitious deals, the most beautiful deals!"

Brexit continues to mean Brexit, and absolutely fuck all else.

Honestly, it couldn't be clearer that the Government collectively have zero fucking clue about what they even want, never mind what they can get.

Dougald

Polls aren't really showing a shift towards yes are they? A push for another referendum with a 'no' result would scupper Scottish independence for decades.

Best to wait and convince more Scots who voted no that a yes is the better option.

noticing May is saying "some control" on the BBC report not total control, "element of control", back peddle.

After EU giving ultimatums about no "cherry picking" and "no compromises" meaning 100% free movement just like now/before, I'm guessing this smidgen of control will be so incredibly laughable that the EU will accept it on compassionate grounds.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Liam Fox going all in for the commonwealth angle that Brexiteers seem to have a hard-on for;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37291832

However, Australia aren't keen until we've actually left...

"We want to do a deal with the UK when the time is right. The timing around that will in many respects be dictated by the UK. The discussions with the EU, the nature of those, the length of them is all yet to be determined.
"My formal advice is that, and this is from the UK side, the UK is unable to negotiate or sign an agreement prior to the formal exit from the EU."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom