• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl1992

dumbasses.

11FiDF2fuOujPG.gif

jelly

Was about to post that. Another link anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-davis-migrants-brexit-workers-eu-uk-stay-open-immigration-years-latest-a7592616.html

Obviously. So Brexiters have basically given the Tory government permission to do what the hell they want without the EU getting in the way and likely saving us from horrible rules and polices. Oh, it's fucking raging. That's all the Tories ever wanted, other politicians and scumbags wanted, control to screw the public over and get rich off it if their ideology wasn't the only thing fuelling them. Infuriating.

I guess they will call for his head, those aren't facts etc.

daviyoung

Banned
ah yes, the realisation that we rely pretty heavily on the EU is just dawning on our politicians now that they've finally started reading up on what the EU is

how long until it sinks into the public?

Really want to slap Boris.

The Times says he goes for a daily morning run in a London park. Next to an article about a British ISIS suicide bombing. Is this an intentional "just saying..." by the editor?

The omnishambles continues. I'm just waiting for Davis to suggest we need to join the Euro and give the ECB all our gold reserves or something.

*Splinter

Or, more accurately, one of the EU's orchestras is moving to stay in the EU which is its primary source of funds. Not real news that way though.
Is that more accurate? Britain is more specific than the EU, and as far as I can tell this is a British orchestra?

I can't see anything about funding in the article but they cite difficulties in working abroad in case of a hard Brexit as their reason for moving.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Is that more accurate? Britain is more specific than the EU, and as far as I can tell this is a British orchestra?

I can't see anything about funding in the article but they cite difficulties in working abroad in case of a hard Brexit as their reason for moving.

Look at the orchestra's website. Founded as an Eu initiative, funded by the Eu, named after the Eu, aimed at the development of young Europe musicians.

oti

Banned

The European Union Baroque Orchestrahas been based in Oxfordshire since 1985, but will give its last UK concert in its current form at St John's Smith Square, London, on 19 May, before moving to Antwerp.

I'd call that British.

Look at the orchestra's website. Founded as an Eu initiative, funded by the Eu, named after the Eu, aimed at the development of young Europe musicians.

And the UK is in the EU. So?

GamingKaiju

Saw this news article that Scottish Labour are pushing for a more federal UK.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....uk-after-brexit-kezia-dugdale-nicola-sturgeon

Sorry for the link I'm on mobile.

I think that this is a good idea I can get behind. It would settle Indy ref 2 and be a fairer state for all 4 countries that make up the UK

A federal UK could create the framework for the EU to set it self up as a federal European state. Leading to a merging of the two.

You thoughts GAF? Do you think a federal UK would work? Is this something you can get behind?

Saw this news article that Scottish Labour are pushing for a more federal UK.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....uk-after-brexit-kezia-dugdale-nicola-sturgeon

Sorry for the link I'm on mobile.

I think that this is a good idea I can get behind. It would settle Indy ref 2 and be a fairer state for all 4 countries that make up the UK

A federal UK could create the framework for the EU to set it self up as a federal European state. Leading to a merging of the two.

You thoughts GAF? Do you think a federal UK would work? Is this something you can get behind?

As has been discussed previously, one of the big problems in that regard is how you federalise it. If you divided it into four blocks labelled England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales, with each being given equal powers for their region, then you can wind up with England's massive share of the population having a disproportionately low amount of power. It's a shift from the current dynamic where it wields too much power because of that population, yes, but that's setting up for further divisions down the line. Unless of course the Federal government above the other four is still determined by a regional vote divided to create roughly similar population areas, in which case England would both have less and more power than it should, pissing off just about everyone.

I'd kinda like England to be divided into administrative regions first, closer to the likes of Scotland in scale, though I think that's also loaded with issues of how you get people to overcome thinking of an English identity first in their politics, and making people invested in the new status quo. But as has been pointed out to me when I last brought that up, some areas would leap at that chance, so in that regard it might be feasible. Of course, that's like trying to get Parliament to get us out of a First Past the Post system of voting...

GamingKaiju

As has been discussed previously, one of the big problems in that regard is how you federalise it. If you divided it into four blocks labelled England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales, with each being given equal powers for their region, then you can wind up with England's massive share of the population having a disproportionately low amount of power. It's a shift from the current dynamic where it wields too much power because of that population, yes, but that's setting up for further divisions down the line. Unless of course the Federal government above the other four is still determined by a regional vote divided to create roughly similar population areas, in which case England would both have less and more power than it should, pissing off just about everyone.

I'd kinda like England to be divided into administrative regions first, closer to the likes of Scotland in scale, though I think that's also loaded with issues of how you get people to overcome thinking of an English identity first in their politics, and making people invested in the new status quo. But as has been pointed out to me when I last brought that up, some areas would leap at that chance, so in that regard it might be feasible. Of course, that's like trying to get Parliament to get us out of a First Past the Post system of voting...

The article discusses the abolishing of House of Lords and a council higher than parliament made up of the 4 political leaders. I agree England wouldn't go with 4 equal shares. So it's implementation would be difficult on how to spread power equal and porptional.

Perhaps a dividing of county's into smaller states as you suggested would be the way forward, getting over the idea identity of country of birth place would be an issue as you brought up the only way I suggest it could be sold as that it is a reforming and change of our countries for the better to make a stronger UK.

I feel for the Scottish they can be out voted anytime by Englands MPs.

Selling a federal UK would be quite difficult before talks onto how does the monarchy work afterwards?

I'm quite for the idea as I feel UK politics needs a shake up and a big change. I'm quite positive that a 2nd Indy ref is coming and Scotland could be leaving.

A Federal UK is Lib Dem policy - glad to see Scottish Labour catch up.

The negotiations are going to be really tough, it seems like. I don't for see the EU playing softball at all. :/

I do hope that the reality of the negotiation will wake people up to what we have signed up for. "We told you so" will sound hollow when it happens, though...

kmag

Luxury carmaker BMW is considering moving planned production of an electric version of its Mini compact car to Germany from Britain in response to plans by London to leave the EU single market, the Handelsblatt daily newspaper reported.

BMW may shift manufacturing to its production sites in Regensburg and Leipzig, the paper said, citing company sources. Production at Netherlands-based contract manufacturer Nedcar could also be an option, it said.

BMW plans to start talks with the British government next week, Handelsblatt said, adding a decision would have to be made during the second half of the year.

BMW plans to bring the electric Mini to market in 2019.

The company was not available for immediate comment.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-bmw-mini-idUSKBN1650PO

Deep uncertainty caused by Theresa May's drive to Brexit has left one in three manufacturing firms planning to shift some operations out of the UK, a damning report reveals today.

The study from consultancy firm KPMG found that China and India - two countries Ms May is desperate to secure greater trade with - are set to be the main beneficiaries from the potential exodus.

The risk of the UK failing to secure any sort of future trade deal with Europe - something Ms May has threatened if Parliament does not approve the deal she agrees with Brussels - was cited as a key potential fear.

It comes just weeks before Philip Hammond gives his Budget, with the Government under pressure to help struggling companies and amid reports of big firms like HSBC and PWC potentially shifting hundreds of jobs out of the UK.

The report said that Brexit had become a "game-changer" for UK manufacturing with two thirds of firms believing the instability from Brexit would be bad for the economy generally.

The report reads: "Our research finds that companies are considering a number of measures to plan for this potentially radical change. For example, a third are considering relocating aspects of their plant or operations to another country in order to boost productivity or reduce costs, with China and India the most attractive destinations for relocation.

"There is also a slight but notable increase in consideration of moving elements of the supply chain away from the UK."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ve-uk-eu-article-50-report-kpmg-a7594606.html

Major railing against Brexit is going to hurt May a bit, but not enough to affect things. What May might end up getting worried about were would be disunity in the Tories once the Brexit process gets underway.

Another former PM getting in on the Brexit-bashing

(from bottom up)

7748fae877054c7daa86a09cfa7ce7b7.png
You're scraping the bottom of the barrel there. Major along with Clarke, Lamont , Hesaltine and Cameron himself as a spad, fucking ruined the lives of thousands of hardworking homeowners by chasing a rapidly disintegrating closer union.
They raised interest rates 10%-12%-15% in one fucking day,ONE!! and still failed due to Germany not feeling the European dream on that particular Wednesday .
Look at the names in the linked article . Sound familiar?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/sep/13/black-wednesday-20-years-pound-erm

jelly

Well said Major. Clear and on point.

I hope the reality really starts to sink in now and we turn the ship around and work together on problems of our own making and not blaming the EU which isn't perfect but if anything, I think everyone wants change and being in it we could rally that and we should be staying the fuck away from the US and not going out into the wilderness with them as our backup.

slider

No Chatham House rules there. Hopefully more interventions steer the conversation setting away from the, for want of a better word, loonies.

Maledict

Unfortunately I think there's no chance of it changing right now. There seems to be a general feeling even amongst a lot of remain people that "well, I don't like it but leave won, and I wasn;t mad about europe so we have to do it now".

I think the only group that's really passionate about Europe are the metropolitan liberal elites, and that's no-where near a big enough voting block to carry it.

Well said Major. Clear and on point.

I hope the reality really starts to sink in now and we turn the ship around and work together on problems of our own making and not blaming the EU which isn't perfect but if anything, I think everyone wants change and being in it we could rally that and we should be staying the fuck away from the US and not going out into the wilderness with them as our backup.

This ship ain't turning - we're leaving. As for rallying change, I think all the other countries were mainly just sick of us slowing things down. We're better off being a good neighbour than a bad tenant.

sammex

Maybe we'd have been better off being a bad tenant, but forcing the landlord to fix a few things, rather than moving next door and letting the neighbourhood become run down so that people from elsewhere don't want to visit.

BigAl1992

This ship ain't turning - we're leaving. As for rallying change, I think all the other countries were mainly just sick of us slowing things down. We're better off being a good neighbour than a bad tenant.

You're more correct than you realise. My brother's doing a masters involving politics, and one of his lecturers, who has close ties to people who work for the EU in Brussels, said that people were actually relieved, not horrified, by the result. According to him, they were glad that the years of the UK threatening to leave the EU was over and acting as a roadblock in general within the EU diplomatically, and that not having to put up with it anymore was more preferable than the UK actually remaining.

So that Lords rebellion isn't even happening now?

Good thing imo, it would just have slightly inconvenienced May and thrown off her proposed timetable. Let's get Art 50 triggered in March and get on with things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom