• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
So that Lords rebellion isn't even happening now?

Good thing imo, it would just have slightly inconvenienced May and thrown off her proposed timetable. Let's get Art 50 triggered in March and get on with things.

Dammit, I was looking forward to a good hard rebellion in the Lords. I mean, if we're going to do big scary wide-ranging constitutional things, we might as well have done that one as well so we can get it all out of the way.

Dammit, I was looking forward to a good hard rebellion in the Lords. I mean, if we're going to do big scary wide-ranging constitutional things, we might as well have done that one as well so we can get it all out of the way.

Haha, I think Brexit might be exciting enough on its own

Uzzy

So that Lords rebellion isn't even happening now?

Good thing imo, it would just have slightly inconvenienced May and thrown off her proposed timetable. Let's get Art 50 triggered in March and get on with things.

Not over a clause that'd demand we stay in the single market, no. But there's other clauses and votes later, over things like protecting the rights of EU citizens living in the UK, and ensuring Parliament had a meaningful vote at the end of this process. Those are coming on Wednesday, probably.

If the rebellion is going to happen, it'll be over those issues.

Xando

Boris and his experts are on it
Foreign Sec: GErman carmakers/ french champagne exporters want a free trade deal. Repeats joke that we are "pro-secco" and not "anti-pasto"

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/836561097104703488

Nissan chief at Trade committee said one example of needs post Brexit "free import duty for parts coming from customs union in and out"
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/836563045010788353

Not sure how Nissan thinks the UK is gonna stay in the customs union with what May outlined

So I've just discovered this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-latest-eu-national-right-to-live-uk-theresa-may-panic-a7602191.html#commentsDiv

I've been in Scotland for the last 10 years, self-employed for less than a year and have no CSI (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) (which I have never heard about before).
The UK can now legally throw me out of the country, if they so wish.
*/** If I leave the UK (for vacation or because of my job), upon re-entry to the UK I would commit a crime.

I'm still quite speechless. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now.

* Edit: That's not actually true. Only if I get deported and then try to re-enter would I commit a crime. There is however the legitimate worry that entering the UK as a EU citizen right now will count as an official entry in the country, and might cause legal problems down the line when arguing with the home office about your legitimacy.
** Edit 2: Nope, actually I was right in the first place. Here's an example from the freemovement.org.uk website:

"Anna is an EU national. She entered the UK in 1995 to live with her British husband. She has lived in the UK since then but has never been a qualified person because she has never held comprehensive sickness insurance, at least in the view of the Home Office. She has also therefore never acquired permanent residence.

Anna is considered by the Home Office to have no right of residence and to be living in the UK in breach of immigration laws.

If Anna leaves the UK, for example on holiday, when she re-enters she may be committing a criminal offence under section 24 of the Immigration Act 1971. The Home Office could take enforcement action against her at any time to remove her and she would only be able to appeal from abroad. If she applies for naturalisation as a British citizen she will be refused because she does not have permanent residence. Even if she now becomes a qualified person, for example by purchasing comprehensive sickness insurance, because of what the Home Office considers to be her unlawful residence in the UK, she would be barred from naturalising as a British citizen for at least 10 years because she would not pass the Home Office's good character test."

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Nissan doesn't. Nissan just got caught short with non UK non commercial vehicle production capacity so had to stick in Sunderland in the short to medium term.

Japanese automakers in general are so boned it's not even funny. Much of their European production is located in the UK, meaning that Brexit is going to create a huge mess for all the involved parties.

Remain in the UK: Get hit with awful tariffs that will kill your already meager sales/profits.
Get out of the UK: Spend a ton of time and money setting up shop elsewhere while leaving a stink in the UK.

It's just a terrible situation all around.

Lagamorph

So I've just discovered this: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-latest-eu-national-right-to-live-uk-theresa-may-panic-a7602191.html#commentsDiv

I've been in Scotland for the last 10 years, self-employed for less than a year and have no CSI (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance) (which I have never heard about before).
The UK can now legally throw me out of the country, if they so wish.
If I leave the UK (for vacation or because of my job), upon re-entry to the UK I would commit a crime.

I'm still quite speechless. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now.
I honestly don't understand how this works.
I would have thought this is completely against EU laws which we are still thankfully bound by.

There's a lot of info on the Freemovement.org.uk website about the legalities of it all, but my head is currently spinning a little too much to make sense of it all.

I think the main argument here is, is that a right to residency is hinging upon CSI, which literally nobody has ever told anybody about until today, which goes back to being self-sufficient as a criteria for staying in a country.

Funny thing is, is that I just recently became self-employed after a long spell of working for somebody else, and I took it as something to be proud of, and now it just put me firmly on the list of potential deportees.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
There's a lot of info on the Freemovement.org.uk website about the legalities of it all, but my head is currently spinning a little too much to make sense of it all.

I think the main argument here is, is that a right to residency is hinging upon CSI, which literally nobody has ever told anybody about until today, which goes back to being self-sufficient as a criteria for staying in a country.

Funny thing is, is that I just recently became self-employed after a long spell of working for somebody else, and I took it as something to be proud of, and now it just put me firmly on the list of potential deportees.

No it didn't. Don't panic.

Checking here https://www.freemovement.org.uk/comprehensive-sickness-insurance-what-is-it-and-who-needs-it/ ...

The main categories of EEA citizen who qualify for a right of residence are:

- Workers
- Self employed persons
- Self sufficient persons with comprehensive sickness insurance
- Students with comprehensive sickness insurance

As you can see, two of these categories require the EU citizen to hold comprehensive sickness insurance

You were a worker, and you are now self-employed, and in neither case do/did you need comprehensive sickness insurance.

So you cannot get thrown out (not on these grounds anyway, I don't know what else you have been up to ;)), and you can go on holiday and come back without committing any offence.

Yeah, you're right - sorry I'm being a bit flustered by the whole thing (actually, this panic attack has lasted 8 months already).

One thing, though, that might be a bit bad for me:
"Who is affected?
- [...]
- EU citizen students (past or present) are also affected where they did not have comprehensive sickness insurance.
- [...]"

I did study in the UK and did not have CSI.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news...-go-off-cliff-due-lack-eu-government-funding/

Cornwall is about to go ”off a cliff" because the Government has not given the area enough money to fill the funding black hole that will be created by Brexit, according to one Cornish councillor. The Government has decided to give Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly just £18 million in its latest round of local economy investment funding. But Cornwall is set to lose £60 million of annual funding from the EU – awarded to support the area's weak economy – after Brexit.

Not surprising.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Yeah, you're right - sorry I'm being a bit flustered by the whole thing (actually, this panic attack has lasted 8 months already).

One thing, though, that might be a bit bad for me:
"Who is affected?
- [...]
- EU citizen students (past or present) are also affected where they did not have comprehensive sickness insurance.
- [...]"

I did study in the UK and did not have CSI.

So far as I can tell, nothing can be enforced from before mid-2011. If you were registered as a student before that date you should have no problem. There were also transitional arrangement put in place, but I don't know what they are.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news...-go-off-cliff-due-lack-eu-government-funding/

Cornwall is about to go “off a cliff” because the Government has not given the area enough money to fill the funding black hole that will be created by Brexit, according to one Cornish councillor. The Government has decided to give Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly just £18 million in its latest round of local economy investment funding. But Cornwall is set to lose £60 million of annual funding from the EU – awarded to support the area’s weak economy – after Brexit.

Not surprising.

Well of course the government hasn't given out any money. We haven't Brexited yet. This is premature scaremongering.

sammex

Hello idiots, welcome to reality.

Good, good. These people need to suffer to realise their mistakes.

I used to live down in Cornwall until recently (only for 4 years in total, I'm not a native) and despite seeing all the good the EU funding has done for the county (there are literally signs up saying 'This was paid for by funding from the EU'), the place is vehmently anti-EU and I have no clue why.

Just checked the local paper online 'cos obviously this is bad news regardless of how you voted if you live in the county, but there's loads in the comments section who are still full on the Brexit bandwagon..

Indeed, as Boris promised, now we are leaving and Cornwall voted to do so we should be getting more investment from the UK Government not less.

TBH it makes me sad knowing how much the area needs money (poorest region in the UK) and yet the locals put some ideological crusade ahead of vital funding.

daviyoung

Banned
Cornwall votes split by district.

Truro & Falmouth - REMAIN: 28,470 LEAVE: 25,393

St Ives - REMAIN: 21,105 LEAVE: 25,022

Camborne & Redruth - REMAIN: 23,704 LEAVE: 39,827

South East Cornwall - REMAIN: 22,972 LEAVE: 32,067

North Cornwall - REMAIN: 21,669 LEAVE: 31,848

Newquay & St Austell - REMAIN: 22,620 LEAVE: 37,508

I was recently informed by a representative of the European Regional Development Fund that the south west is a "developing area" according to EU standards. I was a bit shocked since Bristol seems quite well off, but he said yeah it's basically due to Cornwall.

Regarding the "lack of funding" from the UK govt, what Phi said basically. We're not leaving for two more years, why would they allocate more money now?

Edit:

lol the reactions are kinda telling though

TimmmV

Well of course the government hasn't given out any money. We haven't Brexited yet. This is premature scaremongering.

Regarding the "lack of funding" from the UK govt, what Phi said basically. We're not leaving for two more years, why would they allocate more money now?

The funding is for 3 years beginning 2019, and Cornwall/Scilly got much less than they expected/were pushing for. Now they have to account for that + the loss of EU funding

It's correct to say that doesn't mean they won't get funding from the UK government after Brexit (because the gov haven't actually said anything yet), but its hardly a good indicator that after Brexit the government will suddenly turn on a money tap or something.

I do feel bad for Scilly at least (and Scotland in general really), they did the sensible thing and are still going to get absolutely fucked by all this

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Re: Nissan.

Nissan could face a 500 million-pound ($620 million) hit to profit should the UK fall back on World Trade Organization rules after two years of divorce negotiations with the European Union, the first time the automaker has put an estimate on Brexit-related costs.

Speaking to lawmakers in the House of Commons in London on Tuesday, Nissan Senior Vice President Colin Lawther said 10 percent tariffs on exports of the automaker's Qashqai SUV, built in Sunderland, northeast England, and 2.5 to 4.5 percent tariffs on parts, would be "pretty disastrous" as the company would have to absorb some of the impact.

"You're talking a 400, 500, 600 million impact," he said. This year the company expects to produce 320,000 Qashqais in the UK, Lawther said, 60 percent of which will be exported to other EU member states.

Despite saying the factory could still be profitable under WTO rules, through efficiency savings and potential "on-shoring" of suppliers, Nissan may "adjust" its British business depending on the outcome of EU talks, Lawther said.

The assurances to Nissan in October might not extend beyond the next version of the company's SUVs a person familiar with the situation has said. Because auto product cycles typically run for about five to seven years, this could mean the company would have to reassess the attractiveness of the U.K. as a manufacturing base after it leaves the EU.
Boned if they do, boned if they don't. Nissan UK may live or die depending on access to the common market.

Mr. Sam

Stating the obvious: Nissan aren't the only company who would suffer severely if Britain crash out into WTO rules.

One of several reasons why "No deal is better than a bad deal" actually isn't true.

mclem

Cornwall votes split by district.

Truro & Falmouth - REMAIN: 28,470 LEAVE: 25,393

St Ives - REMAIN: 21,105 LEAVE: 25,022

Camborne & Redruth - REMAIN: 23,704 LEAVE: 39,827

South East Cornwall - REMAIN: 22,972 LEAVE: 32,067

North Cornwall - REMAIN: 21,669 LEAVE: 31,848

Newquay & St Austell - REMAIN: 22,620 LEAVE: 37,508

Anything notable about Truro that would have swung it the other way?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Firms bidding for government contracts asked if they back Brexit

Contractors bidding for work with the government are being asked to affirm that they back Brexit.

Liam Fox’s Department for International Trade (DIT) has inserted a clause into advertisements inviting tech companies to bid for work, saying that in order to have the right “cultural fit” for the task, they must “be committed to the best possible outcome for the United Kingdom following its departure from the European Union”.

Pro-Brexit ministers have sometimes been frustrated by civil servants’ lack of enthusiasm for the complex task of unpicking Britain’s close relationship with the EU and appear to be determined to hire firms that share their optimism.

In total, these “cultural fit” criteria will be given a 15% weighting in assessing which company to pick, the ads say.
xazQMwN.jpg
That is... a bit of an odd requirement. It could easily be seen as just another platitude (we want to you do your best!), but framing it as a cultural issue makes it look pretty sketchy.

TimmmV

So a less technically competent or more expensive contract could be favoured as long as they enthusiastically back leave?

Honestly fuck so much about brexit lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
To be fair, that advert is for a team to undertake specific tasks related to post-brexit trade, so it is kind of a relevant criterion.

You'd think that "do your best to serve your employer" is implied in any contract. I mean, the description already says as much. It's strikes me as a bit of an odd thing to have there, but what do I know.

You'd think that "do your best to serve your employer" is implied in any contract. I mean, the description already says as much. It's strikes me as a bit of an odd thing to have there, but what do I know.

Well, if I want to hire someone to mow my lawn and two people apply. They have the same lawn mower and give the same quote, but one of them has a deeply and sincerely held belief in "grass rights" and has written several opinion pieces for online blogs in which he says grass should really be free to grow as tall as it wants. That would definitely factor into my decision.

sammex

At a guess I'd say because it includes both Truro and Falmouth Universities, also it's the only city in Cornwall, so possibly a concentration of younger people. Maybe a lower number of retirees too.

Things are looking pretty good for Cornwall part 152: Price of pasties go up and it's Brexit's fault

Edit: more Brexit related news...

ITV has reported its worst year for TV advertising since the 2009 recession as Brexit fears caused jittery companies to pull budgets last year.

ITV said that TV ad revenues fell 3% last year to £1.67bn and would fall 6% in the first four months this year as retailers and food companies focus on price cuts over ad spend to win over consumers.

cabot

Well, if I want to hire someone to mow my lawn and two people apply. They have the same lawn mower and give the same quote, but one of them has a deeply and sincerely held belief in "grass rights" and has written several opinion pieces for online blogs in which he says grass should really be free to grow as tall as it wants. That would definitely factor into my decision.

so you either support leave or you want to completely stop brexit in its tracks?

I thought we weren't meant to paint things black and white.

so you either support leave or you want to completely stop brexit in its tracks?

I thought we weren't meant to paint things black and white.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it seems perfectly reasonable to me to want to hire people to carry out tasks in the process of "doing Brexit" that actually want to "do Brexit".

I don't see the sketchiness that Funky Papa is talking about - the hiring process doesn't even seem to require positive support for Brexit itself anyway. From that image posted it simply requires commitment to the best possible outcome for the UK following its departure from the European Union. You'd think even people who supported Remain, but reluctantly accept the outcome of the referendum, could agree to that. And then it's only given a 15% weighting in the decision. Price is more important.

*Splinter

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it seems perfectly reasonable to me to want to hire people to carry out tasks in the process of "doing Brexit" that actually want to "do Brexit".

I don't see the sketchiness that Funky Papa is talking about - the hiring process doesn't even seem to require positive support for Brexit itself anyway. From that image posted it simply requires commitment to the best possible outcome for the UK following its departure from the European Union. You'd think even people who supported Remain, but reluctantly accept the outcome of the referendum, could agree to that. And then it's only given a 15% weighting in the decision. Price is more important.
If this is the case then why does it even need mentioning?

You should fire most of the junior civil servants then. They're certainly of the demographic that don't want to "do Brexit".

cabot

If this is the case then why does it even need mentioning?

Exactly, what I see is 'Please join our echo chamber', nothing else.

It's like being skeptical is some horrible thing now. It's a crucial ingredient in politics, you need voices to combat the wave, not more numbers to aid that wave.

Anyone who honestly thinks they can single-handedly stop Brexit is as delusional as the most intense Brexiteers who dream of a WTO deal, best thing to do now is the least damaging Brexit.

sammex

Trade department may have broken EU rules with 'pro-Brexit' contract criteria

Liam Fox's Department for International Trade may have broken EU procurement rules by specifying in advertisements that contractors must support Brexit.

Albert Sanchez-Graells, senior lecturer in law at Bristol University law school, said the ”cultural fit" criteria, included in two advertisements asking tech firms to bid for work with government, were too subjective to comply with EU procurement rules.

Ha! Now that'd be hilarious.

cabot

"I'm committed to the best possible outcome for the UK following it's departure from the EU" is not exactly an onerous commitment to make...

It's also a sentence that can be interpreted completely differently.

How would Liam Fox interpret it?

How about George Osborne?

Nicola Sturgeon?

I somehow doubt they'll all agree on the same outcome.

Moosichu

"I'm committed to the best possible outcome for the UK following it's departure from the EU" is not exactly an onerous commitment to make...

Edit:

Absolutely, get rid.

The best possible outcome for the UK after leaving the EU would be to join the EU straight away tho...

In my honest opinion

Also with regards to the gardening analagy, it's more like you've put up an advert to have your garden rescuplted into something new. Your garden is famous, and makes money from visitors, so this is quite controversial, and many gardeners actually believe the the current state of the garden is much better than the new proposed design. They aren't saying it is currently perfect, but better than just ripping out all the flowers and hoping better ones grow back in their place.

However, if a gardener is still willing to do that for you, regardless of their own opinion, you should pick the best gardener right?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Less English retirees. Cornwall is really weird politically. Long-time Cornish tend to be very Liberal (in the old-fashioned sense) and have an abiding hatred for all of the retired couples who see it as quintessential rural idyll, buy up all the housing stock without contributing to the local economy, and the vote for the most NIMBY local councils you can imagine. I imagine the divide on Brexit between working residents and retired residents would be one of the biggest in the country.

The best possible outcome for the UK after leaving the EU would be to join the EU straight away tho...

In my honest opinion

Also with regards to the gardening analagy, it's more like you've put up an advert to have your garden rescuplted into something new. Your garden is famous, and makes money from visitors, so this is quite controversial, and many gardeners actually believe the the current state of the garden is much better than the new proposed design. They aren't saying it is currently perfect, but better than just ripping out all the flowers and hoping better ones grow back in their place.

However, if a gardener is still willing to do that for you, regardless of their own opinion, you should pick the best gardener right?

Ye.......es?

Wait, is the "new proposed design" simply to rip out all the flowers? I'm a bit confused.

<exasperated reaction gif>[/IMG]

I used to work in the Civil Service, and I reckon you could comfortably fire every third person and it would still work moreorless the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom