• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaface

Some choice sound bites from today. To make things interesting, lets redact some bits and fill in the blanks ourselves...

"There's no economic case for
breaking up the UK
"

Theresa May
has told
Nicola Sturgeon
to stop playing politics with Brexit and has accused
the SNP
of "twisting the truth to further their obsession of independence".

"A tunnel vision nationalism, which focuses only on independence at any cost, sells
Scotland
short," said
Mrs May.

Some brass neck on that one.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Is this real life?

3fFUHYm.jpg

That cartoon was drawn by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and it's actually embarrassing how much they got it wrong.

Cornwall cannot leave and Wales would not.

Aside from that, the nature of the UK is completely different from the EU, and (this is key here) both Wales and Cornwall voted to leave.

gerg

I think May is being hypocritical but economic arguments for Scottish Independence are still pretty thin on the ground, and there is a kernal of truth in the SNP being able to use the issue of independence as a slideshow for domestic failings, such as with the police and education (although the same can also be said against the Tories viz-a-viz Brexit and austerity). Ultimately though it is possible for it not to make sense for both Scotland to leave the UK and the UK to leave the EU, even if one argument against one and not the other is a pot-and-kettle situation.

Pancake Mix

I think May is being hypocritical but economic arguments for Scottish Independence are still pretty thin on the ground, and there is a kernal of truth in the SNP being able to use the issue of independence as a slideshow for domestic failings, such as with the police and education (although the same can also be said against the Tories viz-a-viz Brexit and austerity). Ultimately though it is possible for it not to make sense for both Scotland to leave the UK and the UK to leave the EU, even if one argument against one and not the other is a pot-and-kettle situation.

I mean, you can argue that, but she was by all accounts a pro-Remain Tory, so it's consistent enough imo. The SNP really is a one-issue party.

As for austerity, obviously a problem, but it applies to a lesser extent outside of England now, not to mention an independent Scotland would face much greater austerity measures.

Walshicus

That cartoon was drawn by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about and it's actually embarrassing how much they got it wrong.

Aside from that, the nature of the UK is completely different from the EU, and (this is key here) both Wales and Cornwall voted to leave.

No, they're pretty spot on.

Some choice sound bites from today. To make things interesting, lets redact some bits and fill in the blanks ourselves...

"There's no economic case for
breaking up the UK
"

Theresa May
has told
Nicola Sturgeon
to stop playing politics with Brexit and has accused
the SNP
of "twisting the truth to further their obsession of independence".

"A tunnel vision nationalism, which focuses only on independence at any cost, sells
Scotland
short," said
Mrs May.

Some brass neck on that one.

The Irony Lady

Pancake Mix

No, they're pretty spot on.

Except you are.clearly wrong about that, given the proof I just gave. Wales and Cornwall voted to leave the EU. Try to comprehend that.

I bet you didn't even know the flag of Cornwall or that they voted to leave, and still you pretend you know what you're talking about. In other words, you're one to ignore.

Kelthink

Except you are.clearly wrong about that, given the proof I just gave. Wales and Cornwall voted to leave the EU. Try to comprehend that.

I bet you didn't even know the flag of Cornwall or that they voted to leave, and still you pretend you know what you're talking about. In other words, you're one to ignore.

There have been numerous times a contingent from both Wales and Cornwall have called for separation from the UK, so yes, the comic is spot on. It's nothing to do with how they voted regarding leaving the EU.

Walshicus

My wife has a Cornish flag on the back of her car, her family being of Cornish descent. National identity and it's distinction from modern manufactured supernational identity was pretty much my passion subject (with Chinese political history) back when I was a dirty Uni. student, and not a productive member of society.

And as said, how they voted re the EU had jack shit to do with anything. It's the hypocrisy of the Leavite arguments that's funny.

*Splinter

The joke of the comic is the hypocrisy in how the UK talks with Europe compared to how it talks with Scotland etc. It's completely irrelevant whether Wales and Cornwall actually want to leave or not.

If you really want: mentally edit out Wales and Cornwall, the joke remains the same.

Kyougar

that was strategic voting. Only when the UK leaves the EU can Cornwall and Wales leave UK with the same arguments that the UK used. Genius if you ask me.

Pancake Mix

There have been numerous times a contingent from both Wales and Cornwall have called for separation from the UK, so yes, the comic is spot on. It's nothing to do with how they voted regarding leaving the EU.

Cornwall has no remotely popular party that advocates succession or even a Cornish assembly (due to the extra layer of politicians).

The most popular party in Wales is staunchly pro-Union.

I don't see England, Cornwall, and Wales breaking up. That's a nationalist fantasy (as is Brexit going well).

that was strategic voting. Only when the UK leaves the EU can Cornwall and Wales leave UK with the same arguments that the UK used. Genius if you ask me.

Except Welsh and Cornish voters didn't do that. I think you are kidding though.

The joke of the comic is the hypocrisy in how the UK talks with Europe compared to how it talks with Scotland etc. It's completely irrelevant whether Wales and Cornwall actually want to leave or not.

If you really want: mentally edit out Wales and Cornwall, the joke remains the same.

Except it is relevant, because the person who made that comic threw them in there with Scotland when it's not remotely similar.

And as said, how they voted re the EU had jack shit to do with anything. It's the hypocrisy of the Leavite arguments that's funny.

Except it is relevant. The Leave camp was highly successful in both Wales and Cornwall, which don't suddenly have to be asked not to leave with perfectly valid arguments (like the Remain camp used).

A Cornish wife does not grant you infinite knowledge as to the fact that no nationalist party has ever received a remotely significant portion of the vote there, some simple googling will do the trick.

Also, some of you posters are not recognising the other side of the argument, which is the fact that the pro-Brexit and pro-independence sides both have the same (stupid) argument.

Dougald

I've never seen someone over-think a Polandball comic so much. They're based on dumb stereotypes, not valid political commentary

Lagamorph

Cornwall has no remotely popular party that advocates succession or even a Cornish assembly (due to the extra layer of politicians).

I don't see England, Cornwall, and Wales breaking up. That's a nationalist fantasy (as is Brexit going well).

Except Welsh and Cornish voters didn't do that. I think you are kidding though.

Except it is relevant, because the person who made that comic threw them in there with Scotland when it's not remotely similar.

Except it is relevant. The Leave camp was highly successful in both Wales and Cornwall, which don't suddenly have to be asked not to leave with perfectly valid arguments (like the Remain camp used).

A Cornish wife does not grant you infinite knowledge as to the fact that no nationalist party has ever received a remotely significant portion of the vote there, some simple googling will do the trick.

Also, some of you posters are not recognising the other side of the argument, which is the fact that the pro-Brexit and pro-independence sides both have the same (stupid) argument.
Z7HeRxU.png

Kelthink

I said contingent, not party. Also, are you completely unaware of the history behind movements for Welsh or Cornish independence? Or are you purposefully obtuse?

Uzzy

Michael Gove, Dominic Raab and Peter Liley have all backed a report from the Exiting the EU Committee stating that Theresa May should unilaterally guarantee the rights of EU citizens currently residing within the UK.

Michael Gove and other Tory Brexit campaigners on Sunday called on Theresa May to unilaterally guarantee the rights of 3.2 million EU citizens to remain in the UK, as they back a parliamentary report that brands the government policy as ”unacceptable".

Gove is one of several pro-Brexit Tories on the all-party select committee on exiting the EU who say that May's approach is causing great ”anxiety" and ”uncertainty" to people who work hard in the UK, pay their taxes and deserve immediate reassurance about their futures.

The committee says, in a report published on Sunday, that EU citizens should not be used as ”bargaining chips" in negotiations over Brexit.

They'll probably still vote against the amendment on the Article 50 bill, on the grounds that this concession should be made separately. But when even Gove and Raab think the unilateral guarantee should happen, it just shows how isolated May is on this.

Here's a link to the actual report, if anyone's interested in some light Sunday reading.

Michael Gove, Dominic Raab and Peter Liley have all backed a report from the Exiting the EU Committee stating that Theresa May should unilaterally guarantee the rights of EU citizens currently residing within the UK.

They'll probably still vote against the amendment on the Article 50 bill, on the grounds that this concession should be made separately. But when even Gove and Raab think the unilateral guarantee should happen, it just shows how isolated May is on this.

Here's a link to the actual report, if anyone's interested in some light Sunday reading.

Surely this is all she needs to say "Fair enough, amendment accepted" though? If the Hose of Lords, and the Exiting the EU Committee (featuring Michael fucking Gove!) say we should make the guarantee, it seems like you're not going to upset anyone by doing it.

For all the talk of negotiating with a free hand, "bargaining chips", etc. it feels like it's been a bluff from the outset. The reaction of most people on Gaf (including me) on June 24th was "well of course EU immigrants already here will be allowed to stay". Shafting them, and getting our expats shafted in turn, seems like a daft strategy. Just make the guarantee and activate Art. 50 as planned.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I don't think anyone believes May has an actual interest in evicting existing EU immigrants, it is transparently a bargaining chip. The problem is that she is so rigid and inflexible that she is unable to risk giving up that chip.

tuxfool

Banned
I think it's a fear and paranoia over the EU not reciprocating in early negotiations.

The EU has on multiple occasions stated that people aren't a bargaining chip that they're willing to use. Once again it is a projection, they can't imagine others aren't like themselves.

The EU has on multiple occasions stated that people aren't a bargaining chip that they're willing to use. Once again it is a projection, they can't imagine others aren't like themselves.
Both the UK government and the EU should offer this guarantee before we trigger art 50 and begin negotiations. Put it to bed this week .

Do you have a link to something? I don't remember an actual statement to that effect, and I'm not having much luck googling around for it.

Lagamorph

True, but playing devil's advocate, the EU are no better as they've made no similar promise.
(To be clear, I'm completely in favour of the UK unilaterally guaranteeing those rights regardless of what the EU says)

Having said that, May has pissed away a ton of goodwill she could have generated in the EU. If right from the start she'd come out and made a big deal about how the UK was going to guarantee the rights of EU citizens in the UK with no reciprocal deal from the EU it would've made her and the UK look good in the eyes of EU citizens and taken away some of that petty image. With EU citizens taking a kinder view of the UK their leaders would've had to follow suit, putting the UK in a much better position come the start of actual negotiations.

Now though she's being forced into it at best and making a big deal about how she doesn't want to guarantee those rights at this stage. It makes her look even more petty than she did already and earns her nothing in negotiations.

tuxfool

Banned
Do you have a link to something? I don't remember an actual statement to that effect, and I'm not having much luck googling around for it.

I don't really feel like digging through old new reports but let me clarify and say that those statements were always made in context of May's inability to guarantee the rights of EU citizens. Implicit in their condemnation was that they would do it for UK citizens, see also their notions of smoothing out dual citizenship.

Then again, they could also be massive hypocrites, though I generally find that kind of naked hypocrisy is only found in the likes of Trump and the Tories.

Now though she's being forced into it at best and making a big deal about how she doesn't want to guarantee those rights at this stage. It makes her look even more petty than she did already and earns her nothing in negotiations.

I don't think it makes her look petty. It makes her look weak, grasping at any possible scrap, regardless of whether it is correct to do so.

I don't really feel like digging through old new reports but let me clarify and say that those statements were always made in context of May's inability to guarantee the rights of EU citizens. Implicit in their condemnation was that they would do it for UK citizens, see also their notions of smoothing out dual citizenship.

Then again, they could also be massive hypocrites, though I generally find that kind of naked hypocrisy is only found in the likes of Trump and the Tories.

Well, "implicit in their condemnation..." is a bit different to a magnanimous EU saying, on multiple occasions, "people aren't a bargaining chip that we're willing to use". It's pretty easy to say we'll do it if you'll do it.

tuxfool

Banned
An offer of an "associate citizenship" for UK nationals living in the UK post-Brexit? Of what relevance is this to what we were talking about?

How about reading the article?

“The idea is simply to guarantee [for] those who want it some of the same rights they had as full EU citizens, including the right of residence in the EU, and to be able to vote in European elections and be represented by an MEP,” Goerens said. “Since this idea hit the headlines, I have been taken aback by the level of support that I have received for the proposal. Thousands of people from Britain have [been] in touch with me to ask what they can do to make this a reality.”

An offer of an "associate citizenship" for UK nationals living in the UK post-Brexit? Of what relevance is this to what we were talking about?

I'd say an idea that UK citizens can choose to retain the right to live and work in the EU without having to go through all the visa bullshit of being sponsored by a company after they prove that they couldn't find a suitable EU citizen to do the job (which means it shall be quite difficult for those of us who want to work in the EU in future) shows generosity on the part of the EU due to the fact that it's even being discussed in the first place. They didn't have to discuss it, but they are doing it.

In contrast to the UK government who doesn't give a fuck about these rights we enjoyed! They don't care about anyone who's not of their voter base. I was hoping to move to the EU one day to work since 2014 and this Brexit shit means I might never be able to! Being a non priority in the job market being a foreigner means great difficulties. EU citizenship leveled out the playing field so living and working in the EU for us was based on merit, not our citizenship or passport. There's a lot of ignorance on this subject from Brexit supporters. Which explains how they voted, in my view.

How about reading the article?

I did, that associate citizenship extends to Brits living in the UK right? That's not really generosity in my book. It's a pretty transparent attempt to undermine May's position.

Say I'm a business owner negotiating salaries with a union. Every member of my staff is in this union, and they're threatening to go on strike.

I say, I'll guarantee for 5 years the job of every employee that cancels their union membership. Half the employees leave take up my offer. The union is weakened, their strike threat loses impact, and so I walk away from salary negotiations.

Pretty generous, huh?

I did, that associate citizenship extends to Brits living in the UK right? That's not really generosity in my book. It's a pretty transparent attempt to undermine May's position.

Say I'm a business owner negotiating salaries with a union. Every member of my staff is in this union, and they're threatening to go on strike.

I say, I'll guarantee for 5 years the job of every employee that cancels their union membership. Half the employees leave take up my offer. The union is weakened, their strike threat loses impact, and so I walk away from salary negotiations.

Pretty generous, huh?

I don't understand this analogy. If half of UK citizens want to be EU citizens, then good for them. I'm one of them. We didn't ask for our rights to be taken away by Queen Theresa May's hard Brexit. The responsibility lies with the Leave camp for all of this.

I don't care if the UK is weakened by brain drain, if that's what you mean by half the 'employees' leaving the 'union'. I'm looking out for myself.

tuxfool

Banned

Pretty generous, huh?

What about people asking to retain the rights they currently enjoy?

Everything stated in your post is the same narrow minded attitude that refuses to see beyond "I'm a prick, so everyone else must be too"

Everything stated in your post is the same narrow minded attitude that refuses to see beyond "I'm a prick, so everyone else must be too"

He's a Brexiter, what do you expect. He'd gladly throw us under the bus for some promised glorious nationalist future.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
True, but playing devil's advocate, the EU are no better as they've made no similar promise.
(To be clear, I'm completely in favour of the UK unilaterally guaranteeing those rights regardless of what the EU says)

Having said that, May has pissed away a ton of goodwill she could have generated in the EU. If right from the start she'd come out and made a big deal about how the UK was going to guarantee the rights of EU citizens in the UK with no reciprocal deal from the EU it would've made her and the UK look good in the eyes of EU citizens and taken away some of that petty image. With EU citizens taking a kinder view of the UK their leaders would've had to follow suit, putting the UK in a much better position come the start of actual negotiations.

I think I can see why there is reluctance to commit to guarantees at this stage. It is a question of scope.

It sounds easy to unilaterally guarantee the rights of people already here, but at present there is no means to restrict those rights to people already here now - not without breach of EU law - and perhaps a real concern that such a guarantee would end up applying as at the date of eventual exit from the EU, and perhaps trigger a massive influx of immigration onto the Brexit "lifeboat" before it sets sail from the mothership. (Not a serious analogy, as the lifeboat may well be leakier than the mothership - but you get what I mean).

The whole thing needs some negotiation, which the EU is not willing to have until Article 50 is triggered.

People's rights change all the time. Didn't the EU just vote to curtail US citizens visa-free travel to the Schengen area?

Sure, people may lose some rights during Brexit, but I really don't think it will be dramatic as people think. I'm vaguely mulling over the possibility of working in Germany at some point in the future and I don't think Brexit will be an insurmountable obstacle to that. Likewise tourism will probably still be very easy - you have to go to an airport or ferry terminal anyway to get to the rest of the EU, so a visa-on-arrival system would be fairly seamless.

Come on, let's keep it civil

People's rights change all the time. Didn't the EU just vote to curtail US citizens visa-free travel to the Schengen area?

Sure, people may lose some rights during Brexit, but I really don't think it will be dramatic as people think. I'm vaguely mulling over the possibility of working in Germany at some point in the future and I don't think Brexit will be an insurmountable obstacle to that. Likewise tourism will probably still be very easy - you have to go to an airport or ferry terminal anyway to get to the rest of the EU, so a visa-on-arrival system would be fairly seamless.

Come on, let's keep it civil

I have some bad news for you-companies have to prove that they couldn't find a suitable EU citizen to do the job first. When you as a hiring manager have the choice of hiring people from the EU or from 3rd countries you would naturally pick the EU national first. Add in the fears of fewer jobs around in the years and decades to come due to automation allowing one person to do more than ever before and you can see why I am so concerned. The next generation is gonna have a rough time if they want to experience living in Europe, let me tell you. What field do you work in?

TimmmV

Of course you are

Pixieking

Banned

Non-binding vote that's mostly being used as a bargaining chip at this stage.

The Parliament's vote urged the Commission to put Visa requirements for U.S. citizens in place "within two months." But the Commission said it will likely wait at least until a E.U.-U..S meeting already planned for mid-June to try to resolve the long-running issues, which the U.S. was first warned about in 2014, Reuters reports.

In 2014, four other countries — Australia, Brunei, Canada, and Japan — were also called out for not meeting their reciprocal visa-free travel obligations, according to the Parliament's statement, but since then Australia, Brunei, and Japan have lifted the visa requirements for EU citizens.

Do You Now Need a Visa for Your European Trip?

Whilst I disagree with this, I'd mostly just like to point out that there's also the cost issue to consider. Considering the visa paperwork/administration and enforcement (more staff) costs, you cannot seriously believe that this won't then be pushed onto British holidaymakers or businesses? Why on Earth would the EU swallow these costs?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
thingsarelookingprettyslow.jif

Britain Told 15-Year Talks on EU Trade Deal Can't Be Ruled Out

Without a trade deal or a transitional arrangement before it takes effect, disagreements may end up in the courts and U.K.-EU commerce would be exposed to World Trade Organization tariffs. That could mean duties of about 10 percent on cars alone.

While early discussions are taking part in a “good atmosphere,” Samuelsen predicted that governments won’t go soft on the U.K.

“We have to take care of our own interests,” Samuelsen said. “We have to ensure that we don’t end up in a situation where we have greater difficulties in entering the British market while London is able to compete on better terms than Europe.”

Dougald

The EU will regret messing with us when we become a nation of sculpted Adonises.

Nah we'll all be surviving off packets of space raiders

Unless they increase the price of those again, then we'll have a new government and no Brexit. I mean, they were 25p in the 2010 general election, look how that turned out for Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom