• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

Eh? But I didn't say the remain side never talked about staying in the single market. It was you who said "everyone always spoke about a soft brexit (norway style) during the referendum" which evidently wasn't true, since the government's own leaflet was clearly about convincing people that a Hard Brexit wasn't in their best interests (an action they failed at, incidentally). All the talk of controlling our borders necessitates removing one of the four pillars which basically necessitates removing them all (lest they not be pillars). I never made any sort of claim about the arguments of the leave side one way or the other.

I should should have clarified that i was talking about the leave campaign. Cameron clearly didn't prepare for anything other than a remain vote.

So if i'm reading this correct Sturgeon basically says Scotland gets single market or Indy2 is on?

Uzzy

Sturgeon says she will asks Scottish parliament to vote next week for second independence referendum.

Here we go again.

Sturgeon setting out a good case, and with more forward thinking than most Brexit conversations so far...

Still, let's throw all the spanners in the works, make this fun.

Protome

We all knew it was coming. Good chance of succeeding this time too. The fact that support hasn't fallen in polls since the last referendum should scare the pants off May.

cabot

I suppose it was inevitable, though I'll be forgetting about it until next summer.

My decision relies upon how the UK Government handle themselves.

theaface

17.5 million people voted to leave - what their reasons and what they new can't really be distilled into a simple check list.

Breaking apart from the European Union cannot be distilled in to a simple yes/no question, but here we are. That's exactly the point - we can argue about why people voted and present evidence and counter evidence but the only absolute (despite being advisory) is the result - a vote to leave the EU.

As such, there is not nor will never be a mandate for a hard brexit. People are simply moving the goalposts to make out the referendum question was something that it wasn't.

Xando

It will be pretty interesting to see Mays reaction to this. I wonder if she doubles down on her hardline approach and risk helping sturgeon or change to a softer line and hope scotland stays in

cabot

A50 |OT| Castration is Liberation!

y'all need exclamation marks for your titles, we need to sound enthusiastic and behind the Brexit

A50 |OT| Navigating the EU-Bend

Beefy

Article 50 [OT] Who's laughing now.

landscape-1488976910-ezgifcom-gif-maker.gif

theaface

Best here.

EDIT: Both Lords amendments have failed to pass in the Commons. It will go back to the Lords, who will likely not affect it further, meaning the Article 50 bill will get Royal Ascent.

Yay! Time to scorch the earth for absolutely no reason! I wonder how history will remember this in terms of most mind-boggling acts of self-harm that a country has inflicted on itself.

Cronen

My knowledge on politics is somewhat limited, but since Brexit I have tried paying more attention to it all. That said, can someone please explain to me why the Lords' amendments were rejected? From my perspective, ensuring Parliament has a say on the end deal and providing security to EU nationals living in the UK seem like fair and reasonable requests. The latter of which is not only the right thing to do out of principle, but also sets the tone with the EU when it comes to negotiations?

To me it seems like a bit of a no brainier, so I am wondering if I am missing something here? If someone can shed some light it would be appreciated.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My knowledge on politics is somewhat limited, but since Brexit I have tried paying more attention to it all. That said, can someone please explain to me why the Lords' amendments were rejected? From my perspective, ensuring Parliament has a say on the end deal and providing security to EU nationals living in the UK seem like fair and reasonable requests. The latter of which is not only the right thing to do out of principle, but also sets the tone with the EU when it comes to negotiations?

To me it seems like a bit of a no brainier, so I am wondering if I am missing something here? If someone can shed some light it would be appreciated.

the government doesn't want to support those amendments or be told what to do.

Labour capitulating over EU nationals and a parlimentary vote. *sad trombone*

Throw them in the sea!

Corbyn failed to show up to his own emergency rally supporting EU nationals, as he was inside voting down right-to-remain.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
This is appalling.
Imagine growing up in the UK all your life. Educated here. Contributing with pride and love. Falling in love, making a family. Now told you have no rights.

Let's hope the EU rips Brexiteers a new one.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Regarding EU nationals, it is not a good idea to give away negotiating points before a negotiation. You might think it will "set the tone" for negotiations, but what really happens is this:

1BG9

On the parliamentary final say, again it weakens the negotiating stance as the Government will not be able to make final commitments to anything.

This is appalling.
Imagine growing up in the UK all your life. Educated here. Contributing with pride and love. Falling in love, making a family. Now told you have no rights.

Let's hope the EU rips Brexiteers a new one.

Nobody has lost any rights. We're still in the EU. The rights are still there.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Regarding EU nationals, it is not a good idea to give away negotiating points before a negotiation. You might think it will "set the tone" for negotiations, but what really happens is this:
1BG9

On the parliamentary final say, again it weakens the negotiating stance as the Government will not be able to make final commitments to anything.
Nobody has lost any rights. We're still in the EU. The rights are still there.
You know exactly what I mean. Let's stop the semantics.
The UK is unwilling to start negotiations in morally sound way. This is immoral plain and simple. EU citizens are being devalued and marginalised.
In a way, this shows how desperate the government is; that they are intending on using 3 million people with families and lives here, and who have contributed here, as bargaining chips and effective hostages. It has no other card to play, and it knows. The problem with this card is that the 1 million Britons living in Europe will be treated the exact same way.

Lagamorph

I'm fairly certain it's going to fail like the rights for EU nationals amendment did this time.

From watching the live footage, part of the problem is that half of the Lords are asleep since it's past their bedtime.

Lagamorph

Mad that Labour agree on basically everything the Tories do.

And then Corbyn comes out and immediately starts talking about how Labour need to fight the Tories, but only after the opportunity to fight the Tories has passed.

Vote for the Parliamentary vote amendment is happening right now.

EDIT -

Brexit bill has now passed the lords Unamended.

From the BBC, regarding the Parliamentary vote on any exit deal,
Peers have voted to reject the Lib Dem amendment by 274 votes to 118

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
You know exactly what I mean. Let's stop the semantics.
The UK is unwilling to start negotiations in morally sound way. This is immoral plain and simple. EU citizens are being devalued and marginalised.
In a way, this shows how desperate the government is; that they are intending on using 3 million people with families and lives here, and who have contributed here, as bargaining chips and effective hostages. It has no other card to play, and it knows. The problem with this card is that the 1 million Britons living in Europe will be treated the exact same way.

You talk as if this is a simple moral question. It isn't either. It's not simple, because it is not clear what the scope of any such guarantee would be, or that it would be legal or practical to restrict it to those currently resident, or whether it would be unduly onerous to extend it to all those resident at the time of leaving. It's not moral - or at least not purely moral - for two reasons: (a) because it is also political and to do with negotiations and treaties and (b) because no rights have been lost or are under immediate threat of being lost.

It isn't the only negotiating card either. Not by any means. Not even the biggest one (speed and cleanliness of withdrawal is probably the biggest regardless of the details).

Now, I've got considerable sympathy with non-UK EU citizens resident here. But everybody is going to be effected by Brexit one way or another in ways we can't yet fully anticipate, and I don't see why this particular group should get a free pass when the rest of us don't.

Uzzy

Well, there it is. Theresa May now has unchecked power to decide the future direction of the country for generations to come.

Pretty depressing really.

gerg

Best here.

EDIT: Both Lords amendments have failed to pass in the Commons. It will go back to the Lords, who will likely not affect it further, meaning the Article 50 bill will get Royal Ascent.

I'd like to back:

If this isn't the title something has gone horribly wrong.

really has to be this.

I'm so sorry I got carried away

MfPZiigh.jpg

This is perfect. Reading the rest of the lyrics it is even perfecter.

Breaking up is never easy I know ...

I am glad my suggestion has been so well received! I didn't even have Alan Partridge in mind but rather, as phisheep highlights, the suitability of the ABBA lyrics.

Knowing May, Knowing EU, it's the best I can do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom