• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucreto

Yep. American companies especially love the UK (and the Southeast in particular) to situate a headquarters where any staff they bring in don't need to be versed in a second language. But you also have 'independent' agencies whose primary benefactors and beneficiaries are European countries, and it's easier to remain in the EU in such regards than to be nominally dragged out of it.

American companies love Ireland especially the tech companies. Ireland might get a huge chunk of these companies going forward.

chadskin

C7qtqNxU8AEuWRz.jpg

(On a more serious note, he also told the BBC the rights of Britons living in the EU and Europeans living in the UK should not be a bargaining chip and he's committed to preserving their rights.)

C7qtqNxU8AEuWRz.jpg

(On a more serious note, he also told the BBC the rights of Britons living in the EU and Europeans living in the UK should not be a bargaining chip and he's committed to preserving their rights.)

Guess that's the sort of thing that would be lost if we had a German President of the EC. :D

However, and I don't want to be mean, but "committed to preserving their rights" means jack shit without details. I mean, sure, goodwill counts for something, but all those "extra" rights are built on top of a whole lot of agreements, and all those agreements are at risk. Also, what the hell else would any non-Farage politician say?

Xando

Romania looks to poach EU medicines agency from UK

Most of all, I'm surprised by how open are being some member states about taking certain agencies and business currently located in the UK. We all knew this would happen, but the increasing talk about it makes me believe they want to hit the ground running by the time Article 50 is invoked.
It's pretty obvious (atleast if you read german press). The sharks are in the water and especially schäuble is smelling blood and will try to get as much as he can from the UK.

mclem

I'm delighted to hear that. I'm very disappointed that the leadership here isn't willing to make similar statements.

CTLance

Yeah, any non-EU country is fair game for EU members. That's kind of the idea. So now that UK really wants to be the former, the latter are all too happy to grab what they can. This is only going to get worse. I mean, at least the big players still only cast furtive glances and hide their cutlery out of sight, more or less. The feeding frenzy hasn't started yet. Although I'm sure back room deals are flying back and forth at lightening speed. I bet it's a good time to be a diplomat with connections to influential Brits.
I'm delighted to hear that. I'm very disappointed that the leadership here isn't willing to make similar statements.
"Because it will make us look weak! Don't show your cards!" And so on and so forth.

I mean, both the EU and the UK pretty much have to act that way. That's how they positioned themselves beforehand. Juncker and May of all people will (have to) keep that up until the bitter end.

Xando

So SPIEGEL has some documents from the german goverment/EU commision on Brexit:

- Negotiations will start in june
- EU council has to approve deal by december 2018 at the latest (18 months negotiation time). German experts think they have to do it in 16 months so until october 18.
- 4 pillars are not negotiable(we already knew this)
- 20.833 laws have to be negotiated (50 per day)
- EU hopes the exit deal will be able to be accepted without asking EU parliaments. German officials doubt this is legal
- They also prepare for WTO trade with britain, call it (botswana model)
- EU only wants to negotiate trade deal after exit deal, UK wants to do both at the same time (EU commision thinks british position is unrealistic)
- German officials think this won't be possible because they expect similiar protests like CETA or TTIP in EU countries
- Britain is not allowed to negotiate trade deals with 3rd countries until they left the EU (technically they're members until march 29, 2019)

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...ssbritanniens-vergolden-lassen-a-1139578.html (German)

Hazzuh

Left without comment: Ukip: Access to European single market 'critical' for Welsh farmers post-Brexit

For over four decades, the way in which agricultural produce is farmed, sold and financially supported has been decided primarily at a European level.

Following the referendum outcome last June, Wales now has a chance to mould those policies closer to home.

But we can only take advantage of this opportunity to reinvigorate our rural communities by ensuring that we, in Wales, do not lose out as a result of the vote to leave.

In the shorter term we have heard clear evidence that access to the Single Market place, continuation of financial support and assurances over migrant labour are critical priorities.

– MARK RECKLESS AM, CHAIR OF THE CLIMATE CHANGE, ENVIRONMENT AND RURAL AFFAIRS COMMITTEE

oti

Banned
So SPIEGEL has some documents from the german goverment/EU commision on Brexit:

- Negotiations will start in june
- EU council has to approve deal by december 2018 at the latest (18 months negotiation time). German experts think they have to do it in 16 months so until october 18.
- 4 pillars are not negotiable(we already knew this)
- 20.833 laws have to be negotiated (50 per day)
- EU hopes the exit deal will be able to be accepted without asking EU parliaments. German officials doubt this is legal
- They also prepare for WTO trade with britain, call it (botswana model)
- EU only wants to negotiate trade deal after exit deal, UK wants to do both at the same time (EU commision thinks british position is unrealistic)
- German officials think this won't be possible because they expect similiar protests like CETA or TTIP in EU countries
- Britain is not allowed to negotiate trade deals with 3rd countries until they left the EU (technically they're members until march 29, 2019)

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...ssbritanniens-vergolden-lassen-a-1139578.html (German)

FUNFUNFUN

Btw, are there any EU constitutions that could move to, let's say Greece? Anything?

To use an analogy, if Brexit is the UK jumping from the Eiffel Tower, the splat is going to be when the Tories are forced to accept the above.

Currently the Brexiteers are still saying that WTO rules are the ultimate backup plan.

Linkified

To use an analogy, if Brexit is the UK jumping from the Eiffel Tower, the splat is going to be when the Tories are forced to accept the above.

Currently the Brexiteers are still saying that WTO rules are the ultimate backup plan.

The EU position is unrealistic in theory we don't have to negotiate 50 laws(average) per day - If we trade with the EU we have to accept the laws which goods and services have to be traded under for their standards(safety, etc) - just like they would have to obey our laws if they wanted to sell goods in the UK. The only main part they need to do is to establish fishing boundaries, remove UK from CAP, begin on the trade deal.

So they could easily negotiate both.

CTLance

Sounds like they've got their work cut out for them. 50 laws per day. Yikes.

I mean, it's not like you can do a search-and-replace adaptation. This is legalese, and likely pretty involved stuff. Has the UK fixed her negotiator problem yet? Because I can see those poor devils getting run ragged over the next few months.

The EU position is unrealistic in theory we don't have to negotiate 20 laws(average) per day - If we trade with the EU we have to accept the laws which goods and services have to be created(safety, etc). The only main part they need to do is to establish fishing boundaries, remove UK from CAP, begin on the trade deal.

So they could easily negotiate both.

The EU position:

Step 1: Negotiate the basics - money owed to EU projects, right-to-remain.
Step 2: Negotiate the remainder of what is needed to be done to leave - what connections are being severed, what connections are not being.
UK leaves.
Step 3: Negotiate a trade deal.

The UK position:
Step 1: Negotiate the basics, as above.
Step 2: Spend the remaining months negotiating both a trade deal and the remaining treaty stuff to actually leave.
UK leaves.

And here's the snag - no-matter which way Step 2 goes (spoiler: it's the EU way - the UK doesn't have a right to enforce negotiating any trade deals whilst they're under EU treaties) the final deal is probably going to have to be dragged around the EU parliaments, and if enough of them kick up a stink about it, the UK is dropped like a sack of potatoes.

It seems to me like the only routes the UK has are:

1. Remain in the common market
2. WTO rules with some current connections, maybe some security schemes like the European Arrest Warrant, kept.

Things like a hard border in NI are also going to be on the table for the UK to pick over as consequences for not taking whatever deal the EU gives them.

My personal hunch is that we get a really bad deal, but one that does not block re-entering the EU with similar opt-outs to what we had before.

Linkified

Sounds like they've got their work cut out for them. 50 laws per day. Yikes.

I mean, it's not like you can do a search-and-replace adaptation. This is legalese, and likely pretty involved stuff. Has the UK fixed her negotiator problem yet? Because I can see those poor devils getting run ragged over the next few months.

But here is the thing what is their to negotiate if we were never apart of the EU and wanted to trade goods and services we would still have to observe their laws, e.g. lead free solder in electrical goods.

If we are a foreign sovereign state the laws have no purpose over domestic policy and trade wise the EU would have to comply to all laws the other way round. so an exercise in futility.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The trade deal itself must be ratified by all the national parliaments. There's no way around it. Linking the article 50 with signing a trade deal practically condemns the whole bundle to fail because there's no realistic timeline for it.

BBC: What did ministers discuss with Nissan?

So it looks like Nissan got the government to commit to spending on charge point infrastructure and tax breaks for EVs.
That's a good thing. It doesn't just benefit Nissan but any other manufacturer and it benefits our environment .
I would support tax breaks on the purchase of any electric vehicle built in the UK .
I'd support a scrappage scheme if switching from traditional fuel to electric vehicles built in the uk.
A lot of good can be achieved by a low tax economy if the tax breaks are targeted sensibly.

Xando

So it looks like Nissan got the government to commit to spending on charge point infrastructure and tax breaks for EVs.

BBC headline is kinda clickbaity because they actually didn't receive a answer on what the goverment promised Nissan (letter hasn't been released yet but apparently will at some point) and instead got some letter the Nissan UK boss send to the business secretary.

Still interesting to see what nissan asked for and what became official goverment policy:

First, it proposes new requirements on councils to make sure there are enough electric car charging points: "the planning framework should support charging deployment".
A few weeks later, on October 24, the government began a consultation on new powers to require petrol stations to have electric charging infrastructure - not exactly what Nissan asked for, but a measure with the same objective.

Second, it noted Germany had allocated "€200m directed solely at quick-charging infrastructure" as part of a €1bn programme for electric vehicles.
A month later, at the the Autumn Statement, the chancellor announced £80 million for "charging infrastructure". The government committed to spending £25 million in 2020 on tax incentives to encourage take-up of ultra-low emitting vehicles - and tax relief on charging points.
In addition, the chancellor also announced that £100 million will go to new UK testing sites for autonomous and connected vehicles.

ITV News is reporting on it.
Sky News is reporting on it.
The Guardian is reporting on it.
Reuters is reporting on it.
Fox News is reporting on it.
The Telegraph is reporting on it.
The Independent is reporting on it.
NBC News is reporting on it.
The Evening Standard is reporting on it.
Deutsche Welle is reporting on it.

Yet the BBC website, nor even the local London news page mentions that 30,000 people have been protesting against Brexit in Westminster today. I expected better.

jelly

I like that Juncker has come out early and said Britain won't be punished, look to be fair etc. That puts the ball in the UK court to not be pissy about it but of course let's see what the EU actually does when it gets going.

Lucreto

I like that Juncker has come out early and said Britain won't be punished, look to be fair etc. That puts the ball in the UK court to not be pissy about it but of course let's see what the EU actually does when it gets going.

The Brexit press won't care. If the EU bends over backwards and give in to like 80% of what the UK want they will still say they are being punished over not getting everything.

jelly

Nick Clegg
Photograph: Peter Nicholls/Reuters
Nick Clegg wraps up the rally with a blistering speech that almost persuades Alistair Campbell to forget the coalition.

“Thank you for standing for the principles of openness, tolerance and pluralism ... and a European Union that of course is not perfect but has done so much for protecting us from tyranny,” he tells the crowd.

“Like many of you I was profoundly saddened by the outcome of the referendum but that sadness has given way to a perpetual sense of anger about the choices that Theresa May and her government have taken since.”

“It was a choice to pull us out of the customs union, it was a choice to embark on that demeaning bout of transatlantic obsequiousness,” Clegg explains, as he accuses the prime minister of “threatening to turn our country into a bargain basement cowboy economy”.

And that’s it for the day. Campbell receives a polite round of applause as he sends the crowd home with the exhortation: “keep fighting to keep Britain in Europe”.

Alastair Campbell tells the Remain movement not to give up: “When you see a car heading toward a cliff, you don’t keep driving.

“The media in this country is a right-wing cartel of tax-dodgers that pretends to speak for their readers when they speak for themselves and their own vested interest,” he adds.

4305.jpg

C7xIexrXgAU1iuo.jpg

C7xwkIJX0AAu9WJ.jpg

ITV News is reporting on it.
Sky News is reporting on it.
The Guardian is reporting on it.
Reuters is reporting on it.
Fox News is reporting on it.
The Telegraph is reporting on it.
The Independent is reporting on it.
NBC News is reporting on it.
The Evening Standard is reporting on it.
Deutsche Welle is reporting on it.

Yet the BBC website, nor even the local London news page mentions that 30,000 people have been protesting against Brexit in Westminster today. I expected better.

Not only is the BBC reporting on the London march, they are also reporting on the Edinburgh march.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39392584
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-39394945

Not only is the BBC reporting on the London march, they are also reporting on the Edinburgh march.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-39392584
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-39394945

Those articles are both very recent - and the first one is wrapped in a different cloak even. On Twitter, Facebook they've been keeping schtum. Even now on the front page the Edinburgh protest isn't mentioned, and the London one falls below such major pieces as 'Pret to pay work experience teens'.

slider

Those articles are both very recent - and the first one is wrapped in a different cloak even. On Twitter, Facebook they've been keeping schtum. Even now on the front page the Edinburgh protest isn't mentioned, and the London one falls below such major pieces as 'Pret to pay work experience teens'.

Am I imagining it, or did someone / something recently criticise the BBC about being relentlessly pessimistic about Brexit? If so, not reporting things isn't the answer!

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Wow. The BBC is covering the EU anniversary, and constantly saying the EU is in the verge if dying and EU leaders are in panic mode.
This is unbelievable.

Are you of the impression that this is a bombastic major piece of news then?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

None of this could keep Sunderland's output at the current levels. There has to be a lot more. At very least some kind of assurance about increasing the amount of local suppliers (hello tax breaks) and/or something else.

The only way that plan could work to some degree is if they managed to convince the government to support electric vehicles in a huge way since Nissan is betting on EVs, which would be a great idea and not just to keep Nissan chugging. But Sunderland manufactures more vehicles than the Leaf, which is their only mainstream EV.

I'm honestly intrigued. Even more so since European regulators looked into it some time ago and they said that there was nothing illegal, meaning that the UK won't probably compensate Nissan for any potential loses.

Are you of the impression that this is a bombastic major piece of news then?

Considering every tiny Brexit-related thing is usually headline news, then yes, this is fairly major. It's also worth remembering that we're not a nation that protests in large numbers often. This is notable for that reason, too.

At any rate, it should probably be ahead of a Pret-a-manger staffing update.

I have no idea how many people were there, I certainly couldn't judge from the ground. More than I've ever seen at a UK protest though. Was impressive.

And won't make the slightest difference to May and the brexitters at all.
:(
The two biggest protests in British history were both ignored by government.
Stop the war 750,000 ( police figures ) 2,000,000 ( organisers estimate)
Countryside alliance, Hunting and countryside causes 400,000 .

Obviously (and thankfully) it's ignored. We already have a method for deciding laws that doesn't involve walking around streets in the sun.

Thankfully it's ignored? What? You cannot be serious.

Are you arguing that it's not noteworthy when Westminster is filled with tens of thousands of people uniting under one banner, or are you of the belief tbat people shouldn't have a right to protest in the first place?

Either way, it's a ridiculously authoritarian stance to take. You're either asking for government censorship of a peaceful protest or the rollback of protest rights.

Thankfully it's ignored? What? You cannot be serious.

Are you arguing that it's not noteworthy when Westminster is filled with tens of thousands of people uniting under one banner, or are you of the belief tbat people shouldn't have a right to protest in the first place?

Either way, it's a ridiculously authoritarian stance to take. You're either asking for government censorship of a peaceful protest or the rollback of protest rights.

Hahaha.

Firstly, I was saying I'm glad the *government* ignores them.

Secondly, the media (which seems to be what you were talking about) ignoring a protest is not an example of either authoritarianism or "rolling back protest rights". You have a right to protest, you don't have a right to the world's media at your beck and call to act as your megaphone. I'm more than happy to devolve that decision to the media operators themselves. If they wanna cover it, great. If they don't, that's great too.

Secondly, the media (which seems to be what you were talking about) ignoring a protest is not an example of either authoritarianism or "rolling back protest rights". You have a right to protest, you don't have a right to the world's media at your beck and call to act as your megaphone. I'm more than happy to devolve that decision to the media operators themselves. If they wanna cover it, great. If they don't, that's great too.

The rolling back protest rights line was in regards to you being thankful protests are ignored. You seem so indifferent to these important rights that it alarms me. People aren't even trying to change laws here, as you say they are. They're not going against any legislation at all, yet you put them down. Why?

Sure, you don't have the right to media coverage. But is it not a little bit strange at all when every news source in the UK, and even news sources in France, Germany and the US report on it - while one broadcaster - the state broadcaster - remains schtum?

If this was an anti-Putin protest with RT not covering it, you'd be singing from a completely different songbook. It's one of the most blatant examples of pro-government bias from our 'independent state broadcaster's that I've seen in years.

The rolling back protest rights line was in regards to you being thankful protests are ignored. You seem so indifferent to these important rights that it alarms me. People aren't even trying to change laws here, as you say they are. They're not going against any legislation at all, yet you put them down. Why?

Sure, you don't have the right to media coverage. But is it not a little bit strange at all when every news source in the UK, and even news sources in France, Germany and the US report on it - while one broadcaster - the state broadcaster - remains schtum?

If this was an anti-Putin protest with RT not covering it, you'd be singing from a completely different songbook. It's one of the most blatant examples of pro-government bias from our 'independent state broadcaster's that I've seen in years.

How am I putting them down? I'm not even saying it shouldn't be covered. I'm thankful they're ignored by *the government* because we have a mechanism for deciding laws - parliament, whose members are (mostly) decided by voters which vastly outnumber any protest numbers. And if they really aren't trying to change any laws, then it really is just a "we <3 the EU" street party. Which again, i have no problem with. I'm just glad the government ignores them, just like they ignored the fox hunting protestors and Cornish secessionists.

The BBC didn't keep schtum though? It was on the regional London news and it's on the website. I imagine they'd be devastated to discover your appraisal of its importance is different to theirs but to compare them to RT is so far off the mark. Besides, the BBC really are in a catch 22 (as they always are). They're the only organisation who are accused of simultaneously being establishment stooges and lefty liberal agitators in the same broadcast.

Xando

More and more likely Mays plan of dual negotiation won't happen

Spain Insists U.K. Agree Brexit Bill Before Free-Trade Talks

The U.K. government needs an outline deal on how much it will pay on leaving the European Union before any talks on a possible trade agreement can begin, Spain’s deputy minister for European affairs said.

“Before starting to negotiate the future framework of the relationship between the EU and the U.K., we have to agree at least the basic principles of the financial implications of the exit agreement,” Jorge Toledo said in Madrid Tuesday.
“We can’t allow the U.K. situation outside of the European Union to be as good as or better than it was within the European Union,” said Toledo, who previously was an adviser to Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy, focused on European affairs and the Group of 20 nations. “If that was the outcome, it would spell the end of the European project.”
“There are a lot of aspects of the negotiation that we would regard as a zero-sum game, ” said Toledo at the conference. “All that the U.K. doesn’t pay on exit, we will have to pay. In particular, Spain would have to cover about 10 percent.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom