• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xando

perhaps in return May would be willing to have 'a reasonable time' to sort out the rest too - so they'd maintain freedom of movement too, while continuing to negotiate.

After all, this has never been triggered before, and the two year timeframe may or may not be wildly optimistic for the amount of work needed. It isn't in anyone's interest to apply a hard stop after 2 years if it is an unreasonable amount of time - and we won't know that until someone is the guinea pig.

As kmag said earlier, i don't see any possibility for the UK to accept FoM in the current climate. This would kill Mays reelection chances

jelly

As kmag said earlier, i don't see any possibility for the UK to accept FoM in the current climate. This would kill Mays reelection chances

Migration will do it either way. The numbers won't go down, it just won't have the freedom of movement evil EU label. People won't get what they want, just worse off for no reason. That double whammy will probably get her kicked out and then what, Boris, IDM steering the ship. Hell on earth.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Migration will do it either way. The numbers won't go down, it just won't have the freedom of movement evil EU label. People won't get what they want, just worse off for no reason. That double whammy will probably get her kicked out and then what, Boris, IDM steering the ship. Hell on earth.

Not playing devil's advocate here, but it's highly probable they decline a bit with caps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

The point is they wouldn't *be* accepting freedom of movement. They'd effectively just be buying an extension to the two years to get the proper deal done, without falling off a cliff onto WTO tariffs.

jelly

Not playing devil's advocate here, but it's highly probable they decline a bit with caps.

Caps would only come into effect if the UK didn't need a lot of migration to continue having a prosperous economy but that isn't the case. Even if there was a lull with EU migrants, migrants from outside the EU would pick up the slack immediately. I don't understand why people think otherwise. The outside chance is if they let the economy implode and there is way less jobs then fair enough, people won't want to come. Nobody wants that outcome.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Caps would only come into effect if the UK didn't need a lot of migration to continue having a prosperous economy but that isn't the case. Even if there was a lull with EU migrants, migrants from outside the EU would pick up the slack immediately. I don't understand why people think otherwise. The outside chance is if they let the economy implode and there is way less jobs then fair enough, people won't want to come. Nobody wants that outcome.

Could try a full movement deal with Australia I suppose, even if it's not really necessary to encourage their migration and there are far fewer of them so it won't replace, exactly. I don't see the Brexit lobby objecting to that.

https://fullfact.org/immigration/eu-migration-and-uk/

Regardless of their motives, ~400k a year total migration is an extraordinarily high figure, especially for a country of ~65 million.

The 10 years delay is only about tariffs. It's not nothing, sure, but all the experts seem to think tariffs are the easy part, it's everything else that's hard.

Also, the UK "needs" a deal on services, and the 10 years delay isn't going to do anything about that.

It isn't a solution, at all, at best something to simplify the problem a bit.

Dougald

Well, my Brother, a man with a PhD in Physics, has announced he's emigrating while he still can. The brain-drain in research in this country is real

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
What kind of cakes does Scotland produce? Asking...for reasons.

I'd have to assume that, like most things from Scotland, it'll be something that somehow contains Irn Bru.
Sorry to break it to you, but

Walkers-Shortbread-Logo.jpg

https://www.walkersshortbread.com/uk/cakes-tarts/

UK, U ARE SO FUKD.

sammex

Tesco scraps Heineken beers including Amstel, Sol, Tiger and Kingfisher from its shelves amid Brexit price row

Britain’s biggest supermarket Tesco has pulled more than half of Heineken’s beer and cider range from its shelves after the brewer tried to increase prices following the UK’s vote to leave the EU.

The retailer is now stocking only 22 of the 53 brands that it was selling at the start of the year and names such as Amstel, Sol, Tiger and Kingfisher have completely disappeared from its shelves.

At this rate Tesco is going to end up like 1980s soviet supermarkets from The Americans.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
In blow to London, EU considers passporting for fintech services

The European Commission could introduce EU passporting and lower regulatory requirements for financial technology firms, moves that could undercut London's leading position in "fintech" as Britain gets ready to leave the European Union.

The EU executive's vice president Valdis Dombrovskis said on Thursday that the Commission is considering how to regulate the expanding sector to encourage its development in Europe, while protecting consumers from risks that may emerge.

"Fintech" firms use modern technology to compete with traditional financial services providers, offering banking products such as payments, credit, deposits and wealth management more cheaply online.

"We need to be cautious in our approach, ensuring that this new industry has a space to grow," Dombrovskis told a news conference in Brussels.
It can't be stated how bad passporting would be for London's huge fintech scene. Germany must be feeling really hungry.

CTLance

"Tja."

Brexit making people fond of Frankfurt. What is this witchery.

I remember passporting being one of the big issues in this thread before. I think I just heard the jaws theme. Wonder which country will drop the pretence and pounce first.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Romania looks to poach EU medicines agency from UK

Romania announced that it will bid to host the European Medicines Agency (EMA) in Bucharest after the United Kingdom leaves the European Union. EURACTIV Romania reports.

Romania, which joined the EU in 2007, has lost tens of thousands of doctors, nurses, dentists and pharmacists to the richer west since joining.

But the Eastern European country is a leading Union member when it comes to its number of medical graduates.

Other countries vying to host the agency include Denmark, Sweden, Spain, France, Ireland and Poland. As well as creating jobs, the EMA also has the potential to act as a hub for pharmaceuticals, one of Europe’s most important industries.
Most of all, I'm surprised by how open are being some member states about taking certain agencies and business currently located in the UK. We all knew this would happen, but the increasing talk about it makes me believe they want to hit the ground running by the time Article 50 is invoked.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
surprised how many of the EU HQs were located here bth. It must be a language thing, right?

I guess now they're all just hoping it doesn't fall out of London and land in Paris.

Theonik

surprised how many of the EU HQs were located here bth. It must be a language thing, right?

I guess now they're all just hoping it doesn't fall out of London and land in Paris.
EU basically means that as far as regulation is concerned countries compete strictly on benefits to business. UK offered a rich talent pool and English is very friendly for multi-nationals so it's an easy sell.

EU basically means that as far as regulation is concerned countries compete strictly on benefits to business. UK offered a rich talent pool and English is very friendly for multi-nationals so it's an easy sell.

Yep. American companies especially love the UK (and the Southeast in particular) to situate a headquarters where any staff they bring in don't need to be versed in a second language. But you also have 'independent' agencies whose primary benefactors and beneficiaries are European countries, and it's easier to remain in the EU in such regards than to be nominally dragged out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom