• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union |OUT2| Mayday, Mayday, I've lost an ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
More and more likely Mays plan of dual negotiation won't happen

The U.K. government needs an outline deal on how much it will pay on leaving the European Union before any talks on a possible trade agreement can begin, Spain’s deputy minister for European affairs said.

“Before starting to negotiate the future framework of the relationship between the EU and the U.K., we have to agree at least the basic principles of the financial implications of the exit agreement,” Jorge Toledo said in Madrid Tuesday.

Spain Insists U.K. Agree Brexit Bill Before Free-Trade Talks

Ah, but Art 50 sayeth ...

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

... which is exactly the other way round.

Might be a bit of friendly lawyering to be done.

Xando

Ah, but Art 50 sayeth ...

... which is exactly the other way round.

Might be a bit of friendly lawyering to be done.

Which is exactly what the EU wants to do.

First they want to find out what the future relationship with the UK is then they want to negotiate a trade deal based on that relationship.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
More and more likely Mays plan of dual negotiation won't happen

Spain Insists U.K. Agree Brexit Bill Before Free-Trade Talks
Rumormill has it that Rajoy is going for hard and harsh Brexit even if it hits the Spanish economy (and it will) in order to scare the crap out of Catalonian separatists. Plus, new and exciting ways to fuck with Gibraltar.

So France, Germany and Spain. That's three countries out of Europe's G4 out for blood.

oti

Banned
Rumormill has it that Rajoy is going for hard and harsh Brexit even if it hits the Spanish economy (and it will) in order to scare the crap out of Catalonian separatists. Plus, new and exciting ways to fuck with Gibraltar.

So France, Germany and Spain. That's three countries out of Europe's G4 out for blood.
What about Italy? Didn't Brexit expose their wonky banks even further?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What about Italy? Didn't Brexit expose their wonky banks even further?
Italy seems to be rather approachable so far (it was considered a UK ally in the sense that maybe it could advocate for a soft Brexit). I haven't read anything about it in a while, but I imagine we'll see where they fall within a month or two.

Jackpot

Banned
Secondly, the media (which seems to be what you were talking about) ignoring a protest is not an example of either authoritarianism or "rolling back protest rights".

The media ignoring events in the public interest because they run counter to the government's preferred position is a classic example of authoritarianism.

Xando

Labour still living in their own world:

Brexit deal must meet six tests, says Labour

Fair migration system for UK business and communities
Retaining strong, collaborative relationship with EU
Protecting national security and tackling cross-border crime
Delivering for all nations and regions of the UK
Protecting workers' rights and employment protections
Ensuring same benefits currently enjoyed within single market

Maledict

Maybe they shouldn't have voted for Article 50 then in the first place without getting agreement on these issues? Or at least spoken about these issues BEFORE THE FUCKING VOTE!

Truly new levels of incompetence.

That's a pretty anodyne list of demands. Putting in subjective words like "fair" and "strong" surely means that you can't really test for these?

As far as the last one goes - Ensuring same benefits currently enjoyed within single market - I mean, that's obviously not going to happen. So it's a bit silly to demand it.

What's the point of this?

Xando

Labour trying to look like they're not completely on tory position and instead just look incompetent

Also just seen this:

On Thursday, the government will publish its Great Repeal Bill, which will ensure EU law no longer applies in the UK after Brexit.
It includes proposals for the government to be given a "new time-limited correcting power" which would allow changes to be made through so-called Henry VIII clauses - without needing the approval of Parliament.
The government says it needs the power to make "technical" changes quickly as a lot of EU law will not work properly without changes being made.

So the May goverment will be able to change laws like they want without parliament approving it?
That's not how parliamentary democracy works and i wonder how this won't be shot down by the high court?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

So the six tests can be carved on a stone and displayed in a car park probably.

So the May goverment will be able to change laws like they want without parliament approving it?
That's not how parliamentary democracy works and i wonder how this won't be shot down by the high court?

Sometimes it is how parliamentary democracy works. the court won't intervene because any such changes will have been authorised by an Act of Parliament.

It's kind of difficult to see how it could be otherwise with the scale of legislation involved - but let's wait and see what the Bill says first, eh?

Nothing says Parliamentary sovereignty quite like the seizure of legislative powers from Parliament.

Theonik

Henry VIII clauses??? That sounds a little ominous!
Jeremy Corbyn to be decapitated on Tower Hill for old time's sake now that the UK has taken back control and can legislate that back in.

Parliamentary sovereignty, right?
Nah that is how it works. Parliament can vote on any law it pleases in the absence of a written constitution.
It's how the European communities act worked in the first place.

Xando

Sometimes it is how parliamentary democracy works. the court won't intervene because any such changes will have been authorised by an Act of Parliament.

So what you're saying is when Hitler took away power from the german parliament germany was still a parliamentary democracy because the reichstag approved the law?

It's undemocratic. That's what it is.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The executive branch having the power to change some laws in the name of emergency exists in one form or another in most democracies (like for example when a Parliament is not in session). Unfortunately it also happens to be abused from time to time.

Maledict

The executive branch having the power to change some laws in the name of emergency exists in one form or another in most democracies (like for example when a Parliament is not in session). Unfortunately it also happens to be abused from time to time.

Agreed, but that's not what this is. This is a deliberate writing of a law that removes the implementation of the law from parliamentary oversight and allows the executive to make changes to what was passed by parliament without going back to parliament.

8bit

Knows the Score
https://twitter.com/rosscolquhoun/status/846331065891540992

Theresa May says UK is not all things it's evidently becoming. We're better together because UK. Don't divide us. Stop it.

Theresa May added: Brexit is not all the things I said it was before UK voted for Brexit.

Theresa May also took no questions from press. She stood in front of 'Plan for Britain' tagline but didn't say what said plan is. Odd that.

Things going swimmingly in Scotland then.

Xando

This is a deliberate writing of a law that removes the implementation of the law from parliamentary oversight and allows the executive to make changes to what was passed by parliament without going back to parliament.

Pretty much. Temporary extra powers incase of defence or disaster i can understand. This is the goverment getting the power to permanently change thousands of existing laws without any oversight. Big difference.

Uzzy

Maybe they shouldn't have voted for Article 50 then in the first place without getting agreement on these issues? Or at least spoken about these issues BEFORE THE FUCKING VOTE!

Truly new levels of incompetence.

They did speak about those issues before the vote. Often infact. They even put forward several amendments to the bill to try and lock in some of those issues.

While I certainly think they should have voted against the bill after those amendments were rejected, this way they can argue against what the Tories are doing in the Brexit negotiations for the next two years, without opening themselves up to the counter of 'they're against the will of the people™'

Probably won't amount to anything though. May could probably declare herself Lady Protector of the Realm and her polling figures would just go up.

Jackpot

Banned
They did speak about those issues before the vote. Often infact. They even put forward several amendments to the bill to try and lock in some of those issues.

While I certainly think they should have voted against the bill after those amendments were rejected, this way they can argue against what the Tories are doing in the Brexit negotiations for the next two years, without opening themselves up to the counter of 'they're against the will of the people™'

Probably won't amount to anything though. May could probably declare herself Lady Protector of the Realm and her polling figures would just go up.

They announced the 3 line whip before the amendments had been voted on though.

Xando

Surely parliament have the power still to write new laws where these powers alter them?

I'm no lawyer but from what i've read about the Henry VIII clauses this give May the power to amend laws if they're introduced by parliament and interfere with what is currently covered by EU law (Guess we'll know more about what that is in the bill but EU law is pretty much used in every area) without any interference or oversight by parliament.

Lord judge, former lord chief justice on the topic:
Unless strictly incidental to primary legislation, every Henry VIII clause, every vague skeleton bill, is a blow to the sovereignty of Parliament. And each one is a self-inflicted blow, each one boosting the power of the executive.
https://publiclawforeveryone.com/20...ry-viii-powers-and-parliamentary-sovereignty/

Maybe it's just me being german but i don't like any politician having the ability to change laws as they want without a parliament approving it.

Lord judge, former lord chief justice on the topic:

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/20...ry-viii-powers-and-parliamentary-sovereignty/

Maybe it's just me being german but i don't like any politician having the ability to change laws as they want without a parliament approving it.

He's a very outspoken critic of Henry VIII clauses.

"You can be sure that when these "Henry VIII" clauses are introduced, they will always be said to be necessary. William Pitt warned us how to treat such a plea with disdain. Necessity is the justification for every infringement of human liberty: 'It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves.' "
- Lord Judge

However, people in the UK are timid, and the newspapers will tell us not to care. Even in this thread we're told that protests are pointless and shouldn't be covered - if what the government's doing is legal, we don't have the right to demand change, and we ought not be listened to.

Spoiler alert,
it's all legal.

"The principle of Parliamentary sovereignty means neither more nor less than this, namely, that Parliament thus defined has, under the English constitution, the right to make or unmake any law whatever; and, further, that no person or body is recognised by the law of England as having a right to override or set aside the legislation of Parliament."
- A.V. Dicey

The reason lawyers voted in droves to stay isn't out of some unwavering love the EU - it's borne out of an understanding of the terror of Parliamentary sovereignty.

BigAl1992

"You can be sure that when these "Henry VIII" clauses are introduced, they will always be said to be necessary. William Pitt warned us how to treat such a plea with disdain. Necessity is the justification for every infringement of human liberty: 'It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves.' "
- Lord Judge

However, people in the UK are timid, and the newspapers will tell us not to care. Even in this thread we're told that protests are pointless and shouldn't be covered - if what the government's doing is legal, we don't have the right to demand change, and we ought not be listened to.

Spoiler alert,
it's all legal.

"The principle of Parliamentary sovereignty means neither more nor less than this, namely, that Parliament thus defined has, under the English constitution, the right to make or unmake any law whatever; and, further, that no person or body is recognised by the law of England as having a right to override or set aside the legislation of Parliament."
- A.V. Dicey

The reason lawyers voted in droves to stay isn't out of some unwavering love the EU - it's borne out of an understanding of the terror of Parliamentary sovereignty.

Holy Shit. So are you seriously telling me that under English law, Parliament can create or remove any law that it chooses and no one is able to override what they do no matter what despite said law being an absolute disaster for the public? That's insane.

- Lord Judge

Spoiler alert,
it's all legal.

- A.V. Dicey

Protest generally isn't pointless. This particular protest on the other hand was. The people of the country voted and got what the majority voted for. What the hell is there to protest?
They just strike me as bunch of entitled brats who cannot accept that not everyone thinks the same way they do or want the same things.
I didn't get what I voted for but I am now fully behind the direction we are going and want our government to fight for the best outcome for the UK.

AHA-Lambda

wow...

17553464_10154552969729150_8775722205853887657_n.jpg

That's the conservative candidate for East Nuek & Lanward

StayDead

Protest generally isn't pointless. This particular protest on the other hand was. The people of the country voted and got what the majority voted for. What the hell is there to protest?
They just strike me as bunch of entitled brats who cannot accept that not everyone thinks the same way they do or want the same things.
I didn't get what I voted for but I am now fully behind the direction we are going and want our government to fight for the best outcome for the UK.

You're looking to the wrong government for that, because everything so far points at them doing exactly the opposite to that.

Brexit Question Time on BBC One right now if you're interested.

I'd rather tear off my own nipples with a rusty spoon.

..oh wow, I didn't realise I disliked QT so much. I'd shout at the TV too much and damn it that's just what they want. They want to feed off my 'FUCK OFF IS THAT RIGHT' and 'YES FUCKING SAY IT AS IT IS' to no benefit of anyone but viewing figures.

I've literally never seen a less appealing line up in my life.

Nick Clegg got applauded.

In Birmingham.

By young people.

I thought it was quite good, personally. (I'm biased as hell though.)

But yeah, the economic reality is starting to hit home for a lot of people - especially those in industries affected by Brexit.

Holy Shit. So are you seriously telling me that under English law, Parliament can create or remove any law that it chooses and no one is able to override what they do no matter what despite said law being an absolute disaster for the public? That's insane.

Pretty much, yep. They even can make (and have made) retroactive law. No entrenched constitution, everything is up for change.

Uzzy

'The SNP doesn't represent Scotland', says a woman whose party has zero MPs.

Question Time this early on a Monday doesn't work very well. Can't have a nice drink to go with the rage, so it's just painful.

Uzzy

I thought the high court has a similiar role like the german or US supreme court and can stop laws?

No. Not even the UK Supreme Court can overturn primary legislation coming from the Houses of Parliament. It can overturn secondary legislation and declare something incompatible with the Human Rights Act, but it can't stop primary legislation, i.e. Acts of Parliament.

I thought the high court has a similiar role like the german or US supreme court and can stop laws?

It's complicated and untested. All we know for certain currently is that UK courts can suspend primary legislation only if it is contravention to EU law (does not include the ECHR).

However, in Jackson v A-G, Lord Steyn stated the following:

"In exceptional circumstances involving an attempt to abolish judicial review or the ordinary role of the courts, the Appellate Committee of the House of Lords or a new Supreme Court may have to consider whether this is a constitutional fundamental which even a sovereign Parliament acting at the behest of a complacent House of Commons cannot abolish." 

So... maybe, but so far, never. The courts haven't crossed that line for post-facto legislation, nor for increased surveillance measures, counter-terrorism legislation, conscription laws, anti-union legislation, homophobic legislation - so really, it seems like it will only serve to save itself - if it even does that. As I said, it's untested. Echoing Uzzy, post-Brexit, Parliament will have no limits.

Well, it's similar to the US Supreme Court in that for a law or execution of the government to be deemed illegal, it has to be judged as incompatible with other, presumably more paramount laws. Thing is, because the UK lacks a fundamental constitution or other similar founding keystone document from which all other powers and laws are derived and must be adhered to at a minimum level, parliament can - in theory - just change whatever law it is makes things so inconvenient for them, and then just reintroduce the law that was illegal - but now is completely legal - unchanged. That or just decide that the new law automatically overrides any old but potentially contradicting law; that's why no you cannot get away with murder because law about crossbows on a Sunday or whatever.

Now, nominally this wouldn't actually be too much of an issue, as of course the creation and alteration of law requires parliamentary approval. Unfortunately, over the centuries we developed this rather curious notion: Political parties, to ease being able to totally control the governance of this country. Better yet, we have never reworked our system to get around the fact that yes, 30-40% of the population voting for you can result in more than 50% control of seat of power. Thus, unless an issue is particularly contentious enough that people will defy their party, most changes to the law can be expected to pass without worry, particularly if the change in question is of a Conservative nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom