• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UK votes to leave the European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosichu

you talk like the EU has leverage over the US. it is very much the other way around.

The whole point of the EU is that the combined clout of all the countries is much stronger than any one of them individually. The EU, even without the UK, is big enough for the US to take seriously.

KonradLaw

If there is one thing thats come from the exit from the EU is that its shown Nicola Sturgeons true colours, A hater of all things English, its borderline racist.

Horrible, vile woman

Yes. Fighting to protect the interests of her country's citizens. Fighting against them being dragged into diseaster against their explicit wishes. What a horrible, vile woman indeed :D.

there's literally no sensible way anyone can criticize her without criticing the very idea of Brexit referendum (not just the results of it, the referendum itself) without making himself look like complete hypocrite.

Shahed

What the hell is happening, this just seems likes its turning into a right shit show at the moment.

Sturgeon saying she'll block it, no PM to kick off article 50 and now people speculating it won't actually happen.

What a joke.
Sturgeon blocking it and Article 50 not going ahead is a joke I can get behind, even if it makes us in the UK look even sillier than we already do.

Flintty

I agree nothing will change with regards to those, but the relationship will likely decline somewhat in importance for America. Consider for instance the help Britain has been within the EU in securing sanctions against Russia. If the UK is no longer able to help on matters like that, America will likely value the relationship less.

Once we've got our footing economically we can still play our part in world affairs. We just need to save our economy first.

Sure, the US isn't going to break off every arrangement between us just because we left the EU. But no matter how way you cut it, there's going to be less interest in a non-EU UK in Washington than there is in a EU UK. How could there not be? The UK just willingly gave up a huge cache of influence in major world political decisions.

Fair points. The new UK govt. then needs to work hard to give more reasons to be kept in the loop.

Whats that got to do with trade negotiations between the UK and, well, anyone else really (even the US)? Seriously we're not leaving NATO or stepping down from the UN Security Council. Nobodies demanding the US troops are removed from their UK bases. The US has no power or influence over a trade deal between the UK and EU.

If we are crippled financially we will be hamstrung in our ability to participate in UN and NATO initiatives, in addition to other ongoing agreements (one example is the Lightning II procurement). Therefore it is in everybody's interest to keep UK Plc afloat. Trade is really only way to ensure that.

Zaph

so who is going to trigger article 50, then? It doesn't look like it will be Cameron, so presumably it would be the next PM who's also going to be staunch Brexit supporter ... unless there's going to be a vote of confidence (is that a likely scenario?) and re-elections, which might as well double for a second EU referendum

Good luck finding one. Most of the true Brexiteers in the Tory party are old backbenchers who have no intention of spending their twilight years working hard on the front lines when they could be watching the cricket.

E-phonk

Banned
you talk like the EU has leverage over the US. it is very much the other way around.

The EU is the biggest ally of the US.
We might be smaller, but we constantly aid the US in dealing with world peace, economics, western interests etc.

No sane US president would want to anger the EU - we need each other. Now if trump gets elected, things might change.

Please. De Gaulle nicked this line from Palmerston.

Fair enough :)

So this actually happened? Probably old news on here but.......

https://twitter.com/simonnricketts/status/747055676413845504

Faisal IslamVerified account
‏@faisalislam
Conservative Leave MP, Boris backer: "there is no plan. Leave campaign don't have a post Brexit plan, Number 10 should have had one"

I mean what do you even say to that?

Technically, you can see why they say it.

In terms of convincing the voters, however, fuck them and their cunning.

pigeon

Banned
so who is going to trigger article 50, then? It doesn't look like it will be Cameron, so presumably it would be the next PM who's also going to be staunch Brexit supporter ... unless there's going to be a vote of confidence (is that a likely scenario?) and re-elections, which might as well double for a second EU referendum

I am starting to expect elections. If only 150 MPs actually support leaving the EU, how can Boris Johnson command a majority?

For all the dumb things the Lib Dems have done, coming out right now for opposing leaving is very much the right move. The Tories probably have to campaign on leaving and Labour clearly can't decide what it wants to do. That leaves half the country with nobody to vote for if they'd like to remain.

KonradLaw

Not really. If USA had any real leverage the TPIP would already be signed long time ago, instead of completely collapsing as it is now. THis is the single most important thing for USA related to Europe in decade at least and they still couldn't force it. Which shows how little that leverage is worth.

pigeon

Banned
If we are crippled financially we will be hamstrung in our ability to participate in UN and NATO initiatives, in addition to other ongoing agreements (one example is the Lightning II procurement). Therefore it is in everybody's interest to keep UK Plc afloat. Trade is really only way to ensure that.

I mean, America already has a system in place for making sure small countries can maintain functional social services even if their economic fundamentals don't allow it. All you have to do is apply for statehood. Even if you go to the back of that line it's a pretty short line.

I have refined my opinion of the Leaver camp.

There's no plan and no outrage over it because they're expecting everyone to come kiss the ring. That's why they invoke Merkels and Obamas. They think foreign heads of state are now blinded by the radiance of a Leaver UK.

Delusional.

Kabouter

Once we've got our footing economically we can still play our part in world affairs. We just need to save our economy first.
I don't disagree you will continue to play a part in world affairs, it will just be a somewhat smaller part than it would have been with continued EU membership.

I am starting to expect elections. If only 150 MPs actually support leaving the EU, how can Boris Johnson command a majority?

I imagine the majority will come from MPs who decide not to go against their constituency and who will vote to leave out of respect for the results of the referendum.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

‏@faisalislam
Conservative Leave MP, Boris backer: "there is no plan. Leave campaign don't have a post Brexit plan, Number 10 should have had one"

well, the tories did promise to have this fucking mess in the first place. i don't think it's that unreasonable to think that they should have had some plan in place when it actually passed.

Not sure. The AU-US free trade deal only took about a year negotiate and sign. Probably because like the US, Australia has similar accountancy practices, common law, similar business methods, the English language, free market values, etcetcetc.

I can't imagine it would take as long as TTIP.
But that still depends on the UK-EU outcome. If the UK still enters the single market of the EU - like Norway and Switzerland - I don't think they can go around and sign one on their own with the US or other countries anyway. So whatever happens, the whole split and terms will need to be decided first.

Mythos

The EU won't punish the UK, this will never happen, because they don't have to. I mean, look at the UK right now, the people are divided, Scotland wants a divorce, the youth is frightened about the future, old people wants to throw people out of the country, and go back to glorious Great Britain, nobody wants to feel in charge of anything and fight... it's just an awful situation.

The EU will give you what you wanted, and you will be far more worse off with the agreement the same as Norway has. What's there to punish? You are punishing yourself, the rest of the world is just shaking the head. Wait, let me correct myself, you got Putin and Trump on your side.

I just hope the EU will become even stronger after all this, and the people from UK who wants to fight for a brighter future together, get somehow a chance to work somewhere else in the EU.

Sax1031

Banned
The whole point of the EU is that the combined clout of all the countries is much stronger than any one of them individually. The EU, even without the UK, is big enough for the US to take seriously.

never said the US wouldn't take the EU seriously.

just that the EU needs the US much more than the US needs the EU.

MrHoot

It's not about the EU having more leverage against the US. It's about the EU having more leverage against the UK when trading with the US.

The EU is the largest, possibly second largest economy in the world. The UK contributed just a bit of it's total GDP. This isn't about old friendships based on romantic stories from the past. This is about being practical. And for the US, it's more practical economically speaking to put europe first, it's main trading partner along with china, than the UK

For all the dumb things the Lib Dems have done, coming out right now for opposing leaving is very much the right move. The Tories probably have to campaign on leaving and Labour clearly can't decide what it wants to do. That leaves half the country with nobody to vote for if they'd like to remain.

I
With the Ukip and Tories fighting over the leavers, just cannot see them agreeing to step aside, there is potential for someone to win the next election with a pro EU ticket.

Jisgsaw

Sax1031

Banned
The EU won't punish the UK, this will never happen, because they don't have to. I mean, look at the UK right now, the people are divided, Scotland wants a divorce, the youth is frightened about the future, old people wants to throw people out of the country, and go back to glorious Great Britain, nobody wants to feel in charge of anything and fight... it's just an awful situation.

The EU will give you what you wanted, and you will be far more worse off with the agreement the same as Norway has. What's there to punish? You are punishing yourself, the rest of the world is just shaking the head. Wait, let me correct myself, you got Putin and Trump on your side.

I just hope the EU will become even stronger after all this, and the people from UK who wants to fight for a brighter future together, get somehow a chance to work somewhere else in the EU.

i think what you will see going forward is the EU in a much stronger position with the UK being a special partner.

Carl2291

‏@faisalislam

tumblr_inline_mht70jQtU71qz4rgp.gif

Edit- Thanks Jisgsaw

jelly

Not really. If USA had any real leverage the TPIP would already be signed long time ago, instead of completely collapsing as it is now. THis is the single most important thing for USA related to Europe in decade at least and they still couldn't force it. Which shows how little that leverage is worth.

Exactly, the EU has interests too and is strong enough to fight the US demands and balance it out. You think the UK could do that alone, lol.

‏@faisalislam

What a fucking mess. It's hilarious really, in the most depressing way possible.

yea and Obama was lying to scare monger the UK citizens into voting remain.

the UK isn't getting pushed to the back of the line in trade negotiations.

I genuinely don't know how one can be this...outright ignorant.

The EU has deen negotiating with the US for years. An entire* continent negotiating with the worlds largest economy.

And you somehow think Britain (or maybe it will be just england and wales at this point) will have more sway than the entirety of the EU ?

I'm not even touching the lying Obama bit.

Pandy

If there is one thing thats come from the exit from the EU is that its shown Nicola Sturgeons true colours, A hater of all things English, its borderline racist.

Horrible, vile woman
How you could construe any of that from anything that's happened I have no idea.

EDIT: Quote from her Sky News interview:
"... I think, frankly, people in England deserve better from their political leadership than they're getting today."

I thought referendums don't bind legally, so technically the goverment could just ignore it, right? Plus, what will happen when Cameron quits next October?
Will be there elections?
If that's the case, what if the winner party offers to abolish the referendum, I mean remaining in the EU?

And, if the UK finally leaves the EU, and they want to join in again, I guess they would have to apply and meet the EU conditions, which could be more strict than they were before leaving, right?

Sorry for so many questions but, as a spaniard I'm really intrigued, even scared to some extent because of all the xenophobia/racism attacks since this, and I'm a complete ignorant in this matter

Flintty

I mean, America already has a system in place for making sure small countries can maintain functional social services even if their economic fundamentals don't allow it. All you have to do is apply for statehood. Even if you go to the back of that line it's a pretty short line.

Holy shit, imagine that. World changing. I'm sure US would love a permanent state within Europe, strategically brilliant for them.

Arksy

But that still depends on the UK-EU outcome. If the UK still enters the single market of the EU - like Norway and Switzerland - I don't think they can go around and sign one on their own with the US or other countries anyway. So whatever happens, the whole split and terms will need to be decided first.

Yes they can, Switzerland and Norway are free to do deals on their own. Iceland has a free trade deal with China for gods sake. The EU does not.

ShogunX

well, the tories did promise to have this fucking mess in the first place. i don't think it's that unreasonable to think that they should have had some plan in place when it actually passed.

I was under the impression the plan was to remain in Europe. It's just madness that we now have a situation were the side that has won the vote don't want to activated article 50 because nobody knows what to do next.

WE WON!!!

Yes! what next?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mythos

i think what you will see going forward is the EU in a much stronger position with the UK being a special partner.

UK was always a special partner, they always got what they wanted, and this is over now. It will be human, but far worse then what the UK had before.

From a quick look.

US exports to the EU amount to about ~14% of total US exports. Excluding the UK, which amount to about 3% of US exports.
EU exports to the US amount to about ~16% of total EU exports. Excluding the UK, for which the US amounts to 16% of UK exports.

I'm sure that President Clinton will get right on it.
Because the mood of the US electorate is really favourable right now.
And get in line China.

i never said they were.

but if you think the US is going to let trade negotiations with the UK just sit on a back burner you are going to be sadly mistaken.

it wouldn't surprise me if it became the US and UK at the negotiating table with the EU for a trade deal.

Jesus Christ, even console fanboys aren't this delusional.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I was under the impression the plan was to remain in Europe. It's just madness that we now have a situation were the side that has won the vote don't want to activated article 50 because nobody knows what to do next.

WE WON!!!

Yes! what next?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

didn't cameron promise to activate the article if the referendum passed, but instead resigned? he's still the prime minister. who but him can activate it at this time?

the pig fucker is mostly to blame for all of this.

A vote of no confidence is possible, but hard to call at this stage. I fully expect MPs to table a vote on having an early general election though.

I think we'll probably end up with a caretaker government, given how volatile the parties seem to be at the moment.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
didn't cameron promise to activate the article if the referendum passed, but instead resigned? he's still the prime minister. who but him can activate it at this time?

the pig fucker is mostly to blame for all of this.

why would he promise that? he never thought he'd lose. nobody did.

He used his nuclear option and quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom