• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The United States Grand Prix |OT| Formula 1 Returns to the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechemist

Did everyone enjoy the high five fail earlier lol.

That was pure GAF material.

w1XJv.gif

Tremendous race, and a huge success by all accounts. Great drives throughout the whole field. Lots of good, clean passes. Hope everyone who went had a great time. Post some pics when you get home.

Brazil is going to be fun. There's always a chance of rain there, and with that anything can happen.

TylerD

So much action from t12 to 17. This track is awesome. Get to this track Americans and support this GP.
I like thinking that the popularity of the GP will beheld thanks to the Mexican presence in F1.

Stuck in line waiting for my airport shuttle.

How about this for a scenario.

Vettel wins today and Alonso comes second leaving him 17 points behind in the championship.

In Brazil we get rain on race day, Vettel starts from pole but is taken out by Hamilton at the first corner. Heading towards the end of the race and we've got with Hamilton in first, Webber second and Alonso third, but way back. Final lap, though the track is drying, Webber mysteriously spins out on the first corner and is passed when getting back up to speed.

Alonso wins the championship by one point. Helmut Marko has Webber's dog murdered.

Ok... so it didn't work out quite this way today, but you can have exactly the same result with Webber in third and Alonso in fourth towards the end of the race in Brazil.

It could happen!

paskowitz

Where would it be in California? Laguna Seca? Street circuit? New track altogether? It'd be great to have a race in California.

It would have to be a new track. Laguna would never work. Sonoma/Infineon would be lame. A city track through L.A. would be nice. Piss off all the Prius driving celebrities.

Shaneus

I don't even argue that HAM would have overtook him anyway. I was just responding to some guy calling Horner an idiot, while he obv has no clue.
The way Horner was harping on about it, you'd think that Cucumber cost Vettel the victory. All it did was delay Hamilton's overtake by maybe a lap or two. If it was toward the end of the race then fair enough, but given that Vettel didn't lock up his tyres, cause any flatspots, run off the track, spin out... it was a massive overreaction from both blokes. But sure, blame anyone but Vettel and the car for not winning today.

PS. "Some guy". You must be new here.

It's great seeing Lewis so happy. Good luck to him next year.
Exactly. I was pretty salty when he made his announcement earlier in the season, but I would still like to see him do well (but I don't think it's a gamble that will pay dividends, sadly). Hopefully it'll help him grow as well, not being in a team that's in the top 3.

It's not only here, seems like a lot of Vettelboys can't deal with people not liking him as much as they do.
Wanted to respond to this. You've actually nailed it, I think. If it wasn't for his rabid fans I don't think I'd dislike him as much as I do. But one-eyed fanboys will be one-eyed fanboys. I should know ;)

Where would it be in California? Laguna Seca? Street circuit? New track altogether? It'd be great to have a race in California.
San Francisco street race ;)

Goldrusher

It would have to be a new track. Laguna would never work. Sonoma/Infineon would be lame. A city track through L.A. would be nice. Piss off all the Prius driving celebrities.

The same celebrities who fly to Europe every week?

The fuel used in a single flight from Brussels to New York equals that used in an entire F1 season, by all the cars, in every single race.

Dave_6

What a fantastic race on a brand new, amazing race track! Happy to see such a huge crowd there and to see a great battle for the win.

Man, what a fantastic weekend.

Glad we had the dramatic Vettel-Lewis pass after 5 laps of build up, even better was from my seats on Turn 9, I could see the entire sequence that led to it. There were battles up and down the grid that made sure there were few dull moments.

The track is awesome, and the fan experience will only get better as they build up the track. Couldn't have asked for better weather for a new circuit either. The teams could complain all they want, I enjoyed the cold.

Overpriced, non Texan beers was exceedingly unfortunate, as was the shuttle situation. It took 2 hours to get home.

The shuttles will be better next year, but I imagine not drinking either a Shiner or Fireman's 4 while watching the race was Bernie's doing, and won't be fixed next year.

Massa

Great race, and it was nice to see such a great turnout in the US.

Fantastic driving from Button and Massa from the back, and it was great to see Hamilton so happy and winning again, hugging his dad after leaving the car.

I don't know why Alonso fans are releasing bitter tears already, this was pretty much the best result they could hope for: Alonso on podium, Vettel didn't win, and there's a pretty good chance the Red Bull could break in the next race. Also, rain next week. For a guy with this car it amazes me how close it's gonna be.

Shaneus

Man, I'm over the fucking moon that everyone who went seemed to enjoy the weekend. It looked like they were cutting it close for a while (although not as bad as... India?) but everything seemed to come off well. No real complaints, race went as well as it could have (thank fuck there wasn't a whitewash from Vettel, could've been Borefest 2012) and it looks like there was a good amount of publicity for the event. Fingers crossed this is the start of F1 making a comeback in the US.

Now you've all got the bug, you NEED to come to a race that's in (or very close to) a city. I recommend Melbourne ;)

mblitek

The greatest impact always comes from the fans vehicles/transportation.

I'll boot my laptop in a bit and share some of my pics.

Do it!

What an awesome race. The whole race was great even on a 1-stop strategy. I can't believe no one hit each other! The level of driving and passing skill was outstanding.

Next year the race should be even better with a Revard in track or at least I would think?

Massa said:
I don't know why Alonso fans are releasing bitter tears already, this was pretty much the best result they could hope for: Alonso on podium, Vettel didn't win, and there's a pretty good chance the Red Bull could break in the next race. Also, rain next week. For a guy with this car it amazes me how close it's gonna be.

Yep, that was pretty much the best result that Ferrari & Alonso could hope for besides Vettel retiring. Next weekend will be amazing with the possibility of rain and reliability issues in the Red Bull.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Sounds like it was a great race. Man does it suck being on the west coast as a F1 fan. I have missed the last 5 races due to crappy time zones and sightseeing on weekends.
Going to miss Brazil too was I'll be on plane back home to Ireland.

Chris R

Man, what a fantastic weekend.

Glad we had the dramatic Vettel-Lewis pass after 5 laps of build up, even better was from my seats on Turn 9, I could see the entire sequence that led to it. There were battles up and down the grid that made sure there were few dull moments.

The track is awesome, and the fan experience will only get better as they build up the track. Couldn't have asked for better weather for a new circuit either. The teams could complain all they want, I enjoyed the cold.

Overpriced, non Texan beers was exceedingly unfortunate, as was the shuttle situation. It took 2 hours to get home.

The shuttles will be better next year, but I imagine not drinking either a Shiner or Fireman's 4 while watching the race was Bernie's doing, and won't be fixed next year.
I thought the shuttles were terrific but then again I was going to the airport lot.

As for beer, ya it sucks but the prices were not that far off of prices at other major sporting events and the selection was better, NASCAR race I was at last week only had domestic swill. I didn't buy any though (yay for bringing my own!).

TylerD

Hope some of you guys have some photos to share. :)

I do but I finally made it downtown and now I've imbibed too much. I'll still post but it will be later tonight or early tomorrow morning.

I thought the atmosphere was excellent for a first race. All the Mexicans chanting Checo! Checo! Checo! and just the sheer number of people.

The talent of the F1 drivers should be very apparent to anyone that was at the circuit. Just superb stuff.

Leunam

Little anecdote from Houston. Wife and I went to dinner and saw a group of about six people all wearing Red Bull, McLaren, and Ferrari gear. Nice to see.

Yoritomo

Been watching F1 for 20 years I get the concept, the fact is it was about .6s of a second and it happens to everyone at some point, happened to hamilton earlier in the race its just part of racing. Maybe if Vettel had paced a bit better he wouldn't have hit the HRT in such a bad spot who knows? Its part of F1.

There wasn't much "pacing" they were going green and purple in different sectors almost every lap. There was 0 marbling on the track and hardly any tire degredation. Hamilton vs Vettel was a straight up street fight. When Hamilton changed tires McLaren did the analysis and advised button that Hamilton's tires were still fine and he could have kept going for a while on them.

It wasn't just one backmarker either. He hit both HRTs right before the esses within a couple of laps. I watched the entire race from a combined onboard of Vettel and Hamilton with their sector times displaying on my fanvision/kangarooTV.

Hamilton might have made it past anyway. He was on an absolute tear and continued to destroy the Red Bull in the first sector. That Mercedes engine really showed its legs in sector 1 and on the long back straight between 11 and 12.

RayStorm

The same celebrities who fly to Europe every week?

The fuel used in a single flight from Brussels to New York equals that used in an entire F1 season, by all the cars, in every single race.
Yeah, but they don't know that.

I had a really witty response thought out, but between clicking on the "quote" button and starting to type I forgot all about it :(

Anyway: As long as F1 people and equipment are not magically appearing out of thin air there's quite a lot of transportation going on as well, just to get the cars to show up at the track.

I fell asleep half way through the BBC highlights so I've only just caught up with the rest. Pretty dull race, but it's great to see the championship going down to the last race, especially with a chance of rain.

Addnan

I fell asleep half way through the BBC highlights so I've only just caught up with the rest. Pretty dull race, but it's great to see the championship going down to the last race, especially with a chance of rain.
What. The race was good, lots of overtaking, Hamilton fighting Vettel.

Didn't need crashes and stuff to make it enjoyable like Abu Dhabi.

Long Beach! the Indy circuit is fine.

This was a fantastic race, loving the track.
Vettel hate here gets boring. Not so bad this year.

dubc35

Couldn't take it and had to check results without watching the race (will tonight). Glad to see the fight for WDC continues. Go ALO!

moojito

Yes, community. We live in the dark recess of gaf. This is like us getting outside the walls for some gardening duty. It's only a matter of time before someone tries to make a run for it.

171-0204103035-cool-hand-luke-Guard-shooting-luke.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom