• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Add one more to the sure to be infinite number of mainstream news media reviews that we'll be seeing in the coming weeks.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050314/tech_test_sony_psp_2.html

Review: PlayStation Portable Is Slick
Monday March 14, 2:07 pm ET
By Matt Slagle, AP Technology Writer
Review: PlayStation Portable Is Simply Overpowering As an Attractive, Uncompromising System

Handheld video game machines have finally grown up with the PlayStation Portable from Sony Corp.

That's no slight to Nintendo Co., long a purveyor of kid-friendly Game Boys and, more recently, a cleverly interactive and affordable dual-screen model.

The PSP, however, has the edge with its versatility, raw power and chiseled good looks.

Like some diminutive monolith from "2001: A Space Odyssey," the PSP looks as if formed from a single black slab of plastic. And if the sleek design doesn't grab you, wait until you turn it on and see the sharp 4.3-inch liquid crystal screen.

The $250 PSP Value Pack, which goes on sale in North America on March 24, includes the PSP, stereo headphones, a 32-megabyte Memory Stick Duo, battery and charger, a wrist strap and soft carrying case.

Included are two of Sony's proprietary 1.8-gigabyte Universal Media Discs. One is a sampler of music, movies and video games. The other is the movie "Spider-Man 2." The UMDs, about the size of a silver dollar, were a snap to load into the 10-ounce device.

About 24 games, each in the $40 price range, should be available when the PSP launches. UMD movies are expected to cost about as much as DVD movies, though you won't be able to drop a UMD into a DVD player, as the two formats are incompatible.

With a 16:9 aspect ratio (meaning it looks like a movie screen) and a resolution of 480 by 272 pixels, the PSP's crisp, bright graphics are spectacular. Watching "Spider-Man 2," I felt as if I was holding some artifact from the future, amazed I was able to enjoy a feature film on such a small screen without squinting.

Glare was a problem, especially outdoors. Get used to seeing your face on the screen.

There's a cleaning cloth included, and good thing: the glossy black exterior is easily smudged marring the otherwise gorgeous appearance. On such a pristine surface, even tiny bits of dust and grease really stand out.

The PSP has been described as a PlayStation 2 console that fits in your hands, and for the most part it's true. But you can't play PS2 games on the PSP, and vice versa.

It may be the most expensive portable games system available, costing $100 more than the dual-screen Nintendo DS, but it's also by far the most powerful. I played two games from Sony's 989 Sports division, "Gretzky NHL" and "World Tour Soccer." Indeed, they looked almost but not quite as good as similar games I've seen on the PS2.

The buttons will be familiar to anyone who's used a standard PS2 controller. It's a good, clean layout that's easy to hold and use even after several hours. Music and picture viewing options are listed in the easy-to-navigate menu system, but they're definitely not a priority.

Sony doesn't supply the required USB cable to transfer pictures or songs from your computer, nor is there any included software to organize such files. I had to drag and drop individual files, a tedious process. And it didn't take long to fill up the measly 32 megabytes. Saved games also are stored on the memory cards, further pinching their capacity.

To avoid swapping cards or losing them, I bought a more spacious 512-MB card on the Internet for $90.

It was an easy, nearly automatic process to connect to a local Wi-Fi hotspot, which will enable gamers to soon challenge each other across time zones. You can also play against as many as 15 other nearby PSPs on an ad hoc wireless network.

The replaceable lithium-ion battery took over two hours to fully charge. I watched "Spider-Man 2," about an hour and a half long, with the screen brightness and stereo sound maxed.

That drained about half the battery, giving me a few extra hours to play games before I had to recharge.

Sony predicts the battery will last between three and six hours, depending on use. Movies and games are especially power-hungry because they draw information from the spinning UMDs.

The PSP itself is a bit too large to fit in a pants or shirt pocket, and besides, mine already are stuffed with a cell phone, keys and wallet. For true gaming on the go, the PSP's size may be an issue unless you regularly carry a purse or a backpack.

What I really liked about the PSP is that the screen is big enough, and it has the processing power, to deliver not only casual games but deep, engrossing titles with a level of audiovisual fidelity once reserved for consoles and home computers.

It's easy to lose yourself in a PSP game.

I've used many hybrid game handhelds that failed because they tried to do too much: Nokia's NGage was also a cell phone but didn't function particularly well; the Palm OS-powered Zodiac from Tapwave, Inc., meanwhile, married the functionality of a PDA with a game player but suffered from a poor games selection and never really caught on with consumers.

After years of stumbling in a consumer electronics industry it pioneered, Sony may be a bit premature in declaring the PSP a "21st Century Walkman."

But for games, it's an attractive, uncompromising system that successfully takes the true power of video games out of the living room and into your hands.

Buy Exim Screen protector, avoid all others, this one doesn't leave sticky residue when removed

residue-free-01.jpg
residue-free-02.jpg

"Unlike most popular screen protectors sold on the market, the EXiM SPUC uses no glue, but instead a silicon-coating adhesive. This explains why the SPUC is washable because glue, once touches water, will lose its adhesiveness. More problems with glue include:

- leaves residue on the screen when detached from screen
- where vendors claim their protector leaves no residue, this is not GUARANTEED, because high temperatures can melt the glue
- leaves bubbles when applied incorrectly; you can still get bubbles on the SPUC ? but the difference is, you can always detach and re-apply!"

Ebay for exim

Doom_Bringer said:
Buy Exim Screen protector, avoid all others, this one doesn't leave sticky residue when removed

residue-free-01.jpg
residue-free-02.jpg

"Unlike most popular screen protectors sold on the market, the EXiM SPUC uses no glue, but instead a silicon-coating adhesive. This explains why the SPUC is washable because glue, once touches water, will lose its adhesiveness. More problems with glue include:

- leaves residue on the screen when detached from screen
- where vendors claim their protector leaves no residue, this is not GUARANTEED, because high temperatures can melt the glue
- leaves bubbles when applied incorrectly; you can still get bubbles on the SPUC ? but the difference is, you can always detach and re-apply!"

Ebay for exim

Thanks! Just snagged one off ebay for $13 usd shipped. :)

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Just confirmed today at EBX that they will sell all games the moment they get them. So those of you out there that already have a PSP, you'll be able to get your hands on new games later this week.

Ironclad

krypt0nian said:
Thanks! Just snagged one off ebay for $13 usd shipped. :)
I'm planning on picking one up as well. For slightly more. I've heard extremely good things about the exim screen protectors.

Dilbert

I'll ask in this thread as well: What model of Exim protector matches the PSP? I checked on their website, and did NOT see one specifically made for the PSP.

Check out a company called Boxwave. Their screen protectors are great. I have one for my ipod photo and you can't even tell it's on there. They have two different kinds, Anti-Glare, and crystal clear. I think I'm going for the crystal clear one, got to let the beauty of the PSP screen shine through. The one on my ipod is an anti-glare one and works pretty well under bright light, that's bright artificial light, not sunlight.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/cle...otector-sony-playstation-portable-psp_556.htm

http://www.boxwave.com/images_bw/products/thumbnails/ctc_pixel_clarity_accurate.jpg

Beezy

Did Sony announce that they would be advertising PSP on buses? I got off the 30 bus today and when I looked at the side of the bus and there's this big ass picture of a PSP. Next to it it said something like "Wi-Fi. Hi-Fi. Sci-Fi." I don't remember exactly. It surprised the hell out of me though. BTW, I live in Bronx, N.Y.

P.S. I haven't been reading this thread.

Amir0x

Banned
Beezy said:
Did Sony announce that they would be advertising PSP on buses? I got off the 30 bus today and when I looked at the side of the bus and there's this big ass picture of a PSP. Next to it it said something like "Wi-Fi. Hi-Fi. Sci-Fi." I don't remember exactly. It surprised the hell out of me though. BTW, I live in Bronx, N.Y.

P.S. I haven't been reading this thread.

Heh, that's an advertisement for Wipeout Pure.

And yes, we discussed it a few pages back. But you didn't read this thread. :D

Beezy

Amir0x said:
Heh, that's an advertisement for Wipeout Pure.

And yes, we discussed it a few pages back. But you didn't read this thread. :D

Lol, thanks. Seems like Sony isn't holding back at all on advertising PSP. Only game related ads I ever saw on a bus were for Vice City and San Andreas. Never saw one for a system before...

Ironclad

Beezy said:
Lol, thanks. Seems like Sony isn't holding back at all on advertising PSP. Only game related ads I ever saw on a bus were for Vice City and San Andreas. Never saw one for a system before...
I saw the some bus ads for Max Payne 2. Sadly that didn't save it. :lol

Anyway, I was at one intersection and I saw three different Orange County busses with the same PSP ad on the side. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Beezy said:

Haven't seen any television ads, though.

Scoobert

Sgt. Killjoy said:
Dadeland may have 700 preorders, but how many are they GETTING? My gamestop is getting 7, and Gamerush is supposed to get 20.

Like I said, 800 PSP's. If they numbers were correct.

Also, because EBgames will be selling PSP game and accessories before the 24th it really doesn't look like there will be bundles. What if a customer buys all there games early. I don't see EB forcing to buy more stuff ont he 24th. Would be pretty stupid, huh.

It also seems like a few EB's might be selling PSP's at midnight. It looks like the one in the Falls might, and Dadeland probably will.

Amir0x said:
NOOOOOOOOOO

Very sad, I would have definitely bought it at launch if it had one of those. It still looks great, might pick it up down the road.

Man, I'm having a hard time choosing my launch games. So many good titles...right now it's TM:HO and possibly Tony Hawk (will be really fun in small bursts) and Metal Gear Ac!d (donnu about this one, I love MGS but card based gameplay...i dunno...).

Amir0x

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
Very sad, I would have definitely bought it at launch if it had one of those. It still looks great, might pick it up down the road.

Man, I'm having a hard time choosing my launch games. So many good titles...right now it's TM:HO and possibly Tony Hawk (will be really fun in small bursts) and Metal Gear Ac!d (donnu about this one, I love MGS but card based gameplay...i dunno...).

I have Mercury pre-ordered already, I'm not going to take it off. But man, that's a disappointment about the tilt sensor...

But yeah, I got my launch games set.

Lumines
Mercury
Ridge Racers
Wipeout Pure

I was thinking of adding Metal Gear Ac!d to this if I had extra money. Later down the road I'd get Twisted Metal: Head On and THUG2: Remix. I'm waiting to see how one of the baseball games is before I get a sports title for PSP.

Amir0x said:
I have Mercury pre-ordered already, I'm not going to take it off. But man, that's a disappointment about the tilt sensor...

But yeah, I got my launch games set.

Lumines
Mercury
Ridge Racers
Wipeout Pure

I was thinking of adding Metal Gear Ac!d to this if I had extra money. Later down the road I'd get Twisted Metal: Head On and THUG2: Remix. I'm waiting to see how one of the baseball games is before I get a sports title for PSP.

Ridger Racers and Wipeout Pure? You really love them racers huh? :p I really don't like either series (Ridge was decent though), so i know they would be bad buys for me regardless of how nice they look. I wish Burnout were a launch title (I'm sure we'll see a version of Burnout 4 in the future) :(

Actually looking at RR at IGN, I might just breakdown and buy it, graphics whore in me is dycing for it...such a stylish looking title.

Amir0x

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
Ridger Racers and Wipeout Pure? You really love them racers huh? :p I really don't like either series (Ridge was decent though), so i know they would be bad buys for me regardless of how nice they look. I wish Burnout were a launch title (I'm sure we'll see a version of Burnout 4 in the future) :(

Well, usually for every system launch I always buy one game that is a "graphics showcase." For me, that's Ridge Racers. I've never been a fan of the series, I've debated about it before. It'll be a nice bonus if it turns out enjoyable.

I've always loved Wipeout, though. Weapon based racing games are awesome. Also, this one supposedly drops most of the "Fusion" schtick, so I'm optimistic. Also it has all that downloadable content coming, which is something that is appealing to me (I own 2 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duos).

Pedigree Chum said:
Actually looking at RR at IGN, I might just breakdown and buy it, graphics whore in me is dycing for it...such a stylish looking title.

Heh, it's definitely the advantage. Also it has great music.

BuddyC

I've never been a huge racing fan, but I've always had a soft spot for Ridge Racer. Thankfully the PSP incarnation is quite the enjoyable romp, Namco nailed the controls.

Depending on the next few weeks, I may end up caving to THUG 2: Remix, as I'm rather partial to the classic mode of old. I'd much rather Tony Hawk 2X though, as I'm just one of those wankers.

BuddyC said:
I've never been a huge racing fan, but I've always had a soft spot for Ridge Racer. Thankfully the PSP incarnation is quite the enjoyable romp, Namco nailed the controls.

Depending on the next few weeks, I may end up caving to THUG 2: Remix, as I'm rather partial to the classic mode of old. I'd much rather Tony Hawk 2X though, as I'm just one of those wankers.

Your opinion on RR might just push me over the edge when i see it on store shelves. THUG is perfect for a handheld, short bursts of that shuld be awesome on the road.

So far I'm looking at:

MGA
RR
Mercury
THUG

Guaranteed:

TM:HO

I'm looking at getting 3 titles in total. It's going to be really hard axing some of those games...MGA is based on reviews (if they're really positive I'll get it), RR is for my graphics whoreness, but i did enjoy RR:Type4 so who knows I might love it, Mercury is based on reviews, it looks great but will there be enough levels to give it longevity, THUG looks feature packed and perfect for a portable. Bah, this shit is too hard :(

BuddyC

Pedigree Chum said:
I'm looking at getting 3 titles in total. It's going to be really hard axing some of those games...MGA is based on reviews (if they're really positive I'll get it), RR is for my graphics whoreness, but i did enjoy RR:Type4 so who knows I might love it, Mercury is based on reviews, it looks great but will there be enough levels to give it longevity, THUG looks feature packed and perfect for a portable. Bah, this shit is too hard :(
Just remember you don't have to grab them all at once. They'll be around on store shelves for a few months, and far as I can tell, there aren't any "must buy" PSP titles hitting for a bit. I'm taking a relaxed approach towards Mecury, Metal Gear Ac!d and THUG 2, among others. But I'm a sucker for Wipeout and Twisted Metal, no way around that. I just wish they'd hurry up and arrive :(

Since you seemed to actually get something out of my comments, some more of my Ridge Racers thoughts, stolen from the series currently adorning the Gaming-Age frontpage:

"In the process learning a valuable lesson about budget-priced shipping and the laziness of the local Post Office, Ridge Racers arrived a bit later. After taking in the slick CG opening and eagerly starting a race, I found myself somewhat disappointed by the low-res textures that adorned some of the cars. For the first few races I was under whelmed, that is, until I drifted through a corner to the soft glow of a setting sun illuminating the track in an orange hue. At this point everything came together: a smile crept across my face as I realized how much fun I was having, and at the same time, I recognized how impressive the graphics were for a portable of this size. They looked better than many of the PlayStation 2's launch titles, including Ridge Racer V. Considering that Nintendo’s latest effort had just caught up to the Nintendo 64 in terms of visuals, this was a major feat.

From there, I found myself playing through World Tours mode for the next few weeks. The tight controls made the cars a joy to drive while the variety of tracks and circuits kept things fresh. The soundtrack was not only enjoyable, but the wide variety of songs prevented the same selections from repeating ad nauseum. Still, the draw of Lumines was too powerful to ignore - I would spend several hours a week attempting to top my high scores."

BuddyC

Pedigree Chum said:
Sounds nice BuddyC. Is the world tour mode kinda like RRType4's where there's a storyline? I really dug that.
Afraid not. But I can tell you they all sport clever names, like Come to Drifty, What Time is Drift?, Mad Drift Disease and Block Rockin' Drifts.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Amir0x said:
Mercury's been on my list since before there was any mention of the tilt sensor. The tilt sensor was a nice possibility along the way but I'm much more interested in playing around with mercury physics in the environments.

kaching said:
Mercury's been on my list since before there was any mention of the tilt sensor. The tilt sensor was a nice possibility along the way but I'm much more interested in playing around with mercury physics in the environments.

I'm getting more and more sold with Mercury as time goes on, 72 levels? ROCK!

Edit: Ok I've finally decided. TM:HO, Mercury (the vids for this game look so damn cool, I love puzzle games on handhelds) and THUG (as I said, perfect for handhelds). I'll rent RR, cause I know I'll get bored with this really quickly, only racing title that's ever held my interest was Burnout 3 (I'll wait for the eventual PSP iteration). My friend is buying MGA, so I can give that a once over to satisfy my MG-loving self. Its all nicely worked out now, now if only next week would get here faster.

My biggest problem with the PSP right now is deciding which titles to pick up for launch as well. I've basically got it narrowed down to Tiger Woods Golf, NFL Street, Untold Legends, WipeOut Pure, Twisted Metal, and perhaps Mercury or Lumines. I'm kind of waiting on some reviews on these titles. For instnace, Untold Legends sounds pretty good, but that type of game can come off pretty awful if not done properly. Tiger Woods looks good as well, but I'd put it off in favor of Hot Shots Golf if Hot Shots had Online Play. I'm hoping some impressions will begin to show up this week as games start to sneak out to the stores.

Edit: Forgot to say I plan to buy three titles, so I wittle down a few of these! :)

yeah its the same for me, i am torn between what games i should pick up at the launch.

Ridge racer is a Lock!
but then i want a puzzel game, but i dont know wich one is the best puzzle game of them.
and then i think i will get Metal gear Acid...how does the game play?
is it boring or is it fun like the other metal gear games?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
"In the process learning a valuable lesson about budget-priced shipping and the laziness of the local Post Office, Ridge Racers arrived a bit later. After taking in the slick CG opening and eagerly starting a race, I found myself somewhat disappointed by the low-res textures that adorned some of the cars. For the first few races I was under whelmed, that is, until I drifted through a corner to the soft glow of a setting sun illuminating the track in an orange hue. At this point everything came together: a smile crept across my face as I realized how much fun I was having, and at the same time, I recognized how impressive the graphics were for a portable of this size. They looked better than many of the PlayStation 2's launch titles, including Ridge Racer V. Considering that Nintendo’s latest effort had just caught up to the Nintendo 64 in terms of visuals, this was a major feat.
Low res textures on the cars are the only visual flaw in RR in my opinion. Luckily it's easily 'fixable' by playing the game in bumper view which is how it makes most sense to be played to begin with.

Also, the Angelus and other special cars look much better than the regular cars, IMO. Probably as they are not sporting so many textures by design, and have some really nice curvature. Driving Angleus feels like driving some weird retro futuristic wipeout vehicle :)

BuddyC

Marconelly said:
Low res textures on the cars are the only visual flaw in RR in my opinion. Luckily it's easily 'fixable' by playing the game in bumper view which is how it makes most sense to be played to begin with.
In my experiences, that's the only proper way to play a Ridge Racer title.

Twisted Metal is now "processing" at Gamestop.com, whoo!

newsguy

BuddyC said:
Twisted Metal is now "processing" at Gamestop.com, whoo!

Damn that's sweet!!! After all the hoopla about games not shipping on the 15th, all of the scheduled games are there!!! The store said that they will probably get the games tomorrow.

atomsk

Party Pooper
those looking for a first come first serve PSP on launch, we got in 30 units yesterday at TRU (much to my suprise)

so i'd figure other TRU's probably got similar numbers.

BuddyC

Uh, edited ;)

GameStop says to call back around 4, I'll give GameCrazy a call in a bit (it's a tad out of the way, you see).

Toys R Us, Best Buy and Circuit City are all potentials, just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom