• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

question: how do i play ridge racer online with the PSP?

let say i want to play against you guys here how do i do that?
does the PSP have a input for the internet cable"TPcable" i have at home for my normal Computer?

how does it actually work?

Argyle

krypt0nian said:
Forgive my stupidity (its late and this could be a brain fart) but why does Twisted Metal have 3 multiplayer setup modes?

1) ad-hoc

2) infrastructure

3) infrastructure lan

Am I missing something that would tell me the difference between 2 and 3? Unless there is maybe a infrastructure mode that is just used to upload scores, as opposed to lan play?

No, 2 is true internet play (via router), 3 is local area play (but with the network set up via router as opposed to peer to peer adhoc networking)...

Argyle

robertsan21 said:
question: how do i play ridge racer online with the PSP?

let say i want to play against you guys here how do i do that?
does the PSP have a input for the internet cable"TPcable" i have at home for my normal Computer?

how does it actually work?

Because Ridge Racers doesn't support true internet play, you need to tunnel the wi-fi through your PC using Xlink Kai.

www.teamxlink.co.uk

More details on their forums - bottom line, you need to buy the right wi-fi adapter for your PC, and even if you have the right hardware, it's still a royal pain in the ass to get working and it's doesn't work incredibly well yet in my experience.

BuddyC

From IGN's chock full of Flaming Lips references GDC 2005: The PSP Launch Window
We at IGN have received only one retail-edition disc for an American game -- EA's Need For Speed Underground: Rivals -- and even that was not for sure the same game race fans will get at home (reps at EA were not sure if the game was an honest-to-god retail game pressing or else a burn with the label printed on it.) Final box copies should be in the mail, and will arrive next week. And just in the nick of time...

As for games not shipping on the 15th, I remain optimistic, mostly out of sheer hope. But they talked to producers, not sales or distribution, so there's still a good chance the games will start shipping on the 15th. EB and GameStop had to get those dates from somewhere, especially since some of the game slated to ship Tuesday were one listed as a day-before-launch release. This close to shipping, they're not placeholder dates, and the fact that both retailers have the same dates is a nice little confidence booster.

Seriously, I want to hug Nix for all those Flaming Lips references. With the Oingo Boingo reference made in the CES 2005: Hands On With Death Jr. tagline, PSP.IGN is quickly becoming one of my favorite sites.

Argyle said:
No, 2 is true internet play (via router), 3 is local area play (but with the network set up via router as opposed to peer to peer adhoc networking)...

Gotcha but what's the benefit of that? Slightly improved distances between players?

BuddyC

krypt0nian said:
Gotcha but what's the benefit of that? Slightly improved distances between players?
I think it's just the ease of finding the folks you want to play with online - if you've got three other folks in the same vicinity, just hop on via local area. Actually, with ad hoc, that seems a bit redundant - maybe it's in case you're out of the ad hoc range but are part of one big local area wireless network, like say, a five story office building or a college campus?

Argyle said:
Because Ridge Racers doesn't support true internet play, you need to tunnel the wi-fi through your PC using Xlink Kai.

www.teamxlink.co.uk

More details on their forums - bottom line, you need to buy the right wi-fi adapter for your PC, and even if you have the right hardware, it's still a royal pain in the ass to get working and it's doesn't work incredibly well yet in my experience.

thanks.

so i can only play WIFI, and that measn someone else have to have the game and a PSP within 30 meters of my PSP?

why cant someone develop something that lets us play online games wireless on our handhelds?
wifi is limited why even bother developing something like that?
if wifi meant that you can play against anyone around the world wireless then that is something i would care about. normal shitty wifi that covers only 30 meters from my PSP is pointless if your not playing against a friend that has a PSP.

BuddyC said:
I think it's just the ease of finding the folks you want to play with online - if you've got three other folks in the same vicinity, just hop on via local area. Actually, with ad hoc, that seems a bit redundant - maybe it's in case you're out of the ad hoc range but are part of one big local area wireless network, like say, a five story office building or a college campus?

Totally makes sense now. Yes its a bit redundant but its another option which is a good thing.

robertsan21 said:
thanks.

so i can only play WIFI, and that measn someone else have to have the game and a PSP within 30 meters of my PSP?

why cant someone develop something that lets us play online games wireless on our handhelds?
wifi is limited why even bother developing something like that?
if wifi meant that you can play against anyone around the world wireless then that is something i would care about. normal shitty wifi that covers only 30 meters from my PSP is pointless if your not playing against a friend that has a PSP.

Whoops..slow down. There are two WiFi modes that the PSP supports.

Ad-Hoc which is the local WiFi you're talking about which most PSP launch games game right now. Needs no router/access point access.

Infrastructure - which is true ONLINE play, which Twisted metal, ATV and the 989 sports titles have. Needs router/access point access.

This is just at launch. ONLINE play is a reality already so you're good to go.

krypt0nian said:
Whoops..slow down. There are two WiFi modes that the PSP supports.

Ad-Hoc which is the local WiFi you're talking about which most PSP launch games game right now. Needs no router/access point access.

Infrastructure - which is true ONLINE play, which Twisted metal, ATV and the 989 sports titles have. Needs router/access point access.

This is just at launch. ONLINE play is a reality already so you're good to go.

:)

so your telling me that i can pick up my PSP and walk on the bus and put in, lets say a racing game that offers TRUE online play against other people around the world and play against them WIRELESS????

no lag!
and it feels like driving a normal racing game on my PS2 at home?

if that is true you just made my day

BuddyC

robertsan21 said:
:)

so your telling me that i can pick up my PSP and walk on the bus and put in, lets say a racing game that offers TRUE online play against other people around the world and play against them WIRELESS????

no lag!
and it feels like driving a normal racing game on my PS2 at home?

if that is true you just made my day
If you're in a WiFi hotspt, that is, an area that has wireless internet access, that's certainly possible. But don't get your hopes up too much, I don't think there are many, if any, cities that have complete WiFi coverage of the area.

BuddyC said:
If you're in a WiFi hotspt, that is, an area that has wireless internet access, that's certainly possible. But don't get your hopes up too much, I don't think there are many, if any, cities that have complete WiFi coverage of the area.

Some Hotspot locator links -

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

Another real good way to search for free Wifi is to use the new Google location search. Go to the following URL and put in "free wifi" for the search words. Put in the zip code of interest and it will print a list that shows you the name of the owner and how far away the hotspot is located.

Google hotspot search

For sneaking bandwidth of the unexpecting and stupid: Try here

BUT keep in mind that right now, the PSP has no way to connect to Hotspots that require you to log into a browser page. So some pay sites will be off limits.

Hope this helps.

krypt0nian said:
Some Hotspot locator links -

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

HOTSPOT LOCATORS

Another real good way to search for free Wifi is to use the new Google location search. Go to the following URL and put in "free wifi" for the search words. Put in the zip code of interest and it will print a list that shows you the name of the owner and how far away the hotspot is located.

Google hotspot search

For sneaking bandwidth of the unexpecting and stupid: Try here

BUT keep in mind that right now, the PSP has no way to connect to Hotspots that require you to log into a browser page. So some pay sites will be off limits.

Hope this helps.

thanks buddyc and krypt0nian

but thats bad i dont care about hotspots, why cant they make it totaly wireless no strings attached, i put in my game and play, no matter if i am in the jungle or in a big city.
cant they like put up sattelites in space and shit for it?

they say we live in the hightech age but i tell you what we do not!

but i do appriciate your help here guys, good work, your where very helpful.
thanks

Anyone hear anything about permanently chanig the PSP's background image?

I know you can temporarily change it to one of your loaded images, but I heard some rumor of editing a .png file, but that could be crap.

Anyone?

acklame

robertsan21 said:
thanks buddyc and krypt0nian

but thats bad i dont care about hotspots, why cant they make it totaly wireless no strings attached, i put in my game and play, no matter if i am in the jungle or in a big city.
cant they like put up sattelites in space and shit for it?

they say we live in the hightech age but i tell you what we do not!

but i do appriciate your help here guys, good work, your where very helpful.
thanks

there is no such uber network that exists and it is not feasible for any one company to deploy it.

WTF is going on today?

Another Unnanounced game I found on my travels:

WTF is going on today?

587044m.jpg

They have it Due for release on 29/04/2005?

Play.com listing

Amir0x

Banned
krypt0nian said:
WTF is going on today?

Another Unnanounced game I found on my travels:

WTF is going on today?

587044m.jpg

They have it Due for release on 29/04/2005?

Play.com listing

That was listed at a few places, but I believe it has to be bunk. There has been NO news about that.

shit i told my friend who is in the states now to get me the PSP when it is released on the 24th.

he told me he might not have time to get in on that date but acouple of days later, you guys think it will be sold out everywhere?

he will be in Miami.

Press Release Source: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

PSP(TM) (PlayStation(R) Portable) Fuses Fashion and Technology in an Exclusive Designer Accessories Show
Friday March 11, 8:00 am ET
- Sony Computer Entertainment America to Showcase PSP Signature Accessories by Marc Jacobs, Diane von Furstenberg, Coach and More

FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 11 /PRNewswire/ -- To celebrate the highly anticipated North American launch of the PSP(TM) (PlayStation® Portable) handheld entertainment system, an unprecedented collection of fashion designers will come together under one roof on March 14 at a special fashion show engagement dubbed Pret a PSP. Fashion and technology will socialize at this exclusive accessories show where acclaimed designers including Marc Jacobs, Diane von Furstenberg, Henry Duarte, Coach, LRG, Jennifer Lopez, Baby Phat by Kimora Lee Simmons featuring Simmons Jewelry Company, Heatherette, Charlotte Ronson, (wb) waraire boswell, Jenni Kayne, Autore, Kidada for Disney and IceLink Watch will unveil their one-of-a-kind PSP accessories to an elite invite-only crowd.

YAHOO NEWS link

YO YO!

pret_a_psp.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
robertsan21 said:
he will be in Miami.
Ha ha that's awesome, that's where I live. Tell him to fire off an e-mail to me and I'll try to help him locate a PSP. I'm good friends with a few Managers in the area, they might have a couple left.

TekunoRobby said:
Ha ha that's awesome, that's where I live. Tell him to fire off an e-mail to me and I'll try to help him locate a PSP. I'm good friends with a few Managers in the area, they might have a couple left.

well i will!
PM me your email and i let him know.

he is not a gamer, he would know PSP from a Xbox.
he is in Miami for the tennis tournament

so i emailed him pictures on how the Packaging of the PSP looks like and how the games cases looks like hahaha

thanks for the help mate

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Scoobert said:
Thrown out. I mean it seems the whole idea was forgotten and might not be used. Thank goodness!

Thanks! I couldn't remember what they were. Just got off of work yesterday when I wrote everything when I typed all that. Hopefully everything made sense and tried not to forget anything. Obviously I did. :lol

Thanks for the good news Scoobert. EB did the right thing!

Scoobert

I really don't know if EB will do a bundle or not, so far its looking pretty good though. I have my fingers and toes all crossed. :D

Before the PSP price was announced we have been telling customers the PSP would be between $149 and $200, no more than $200. This is what every employee was told and in turn all customers were told the same. Now it jumps to $249 because of the Value Pack. Several customers are already upset about spending $50 more. I can't imagine what would happen if these people were told they have to pay even more because of an EB bundle. I think all hell would break loose.

By the way, if you're in Miami stay away from the EB in Dadeland as far as PSP preorders go. They will be getting 800 PSP's for the 24th, and they have even more preorders!

newsguy

Dadeland's EB is the size of a shoebox. If they're really getting 800, they're going to have to sell them out of a truck.

Amir0x

Banned
Wario64 said:
When the hell are they gonna start pushing tv ads for this sucker?

I think they're hoping that they can ride some free advertisement out of this bitch when the inevitable insane launch lines and shortages occur, via the news. Just the other day on the TODAY show they had a segment called "Hot Portable devices", and right next to the iPod Shuffle was the PSP. It was neat because as soon as they came to the PSP she (I think Katey) was like "Now this is the device we've all been waiting for. I know Lenny(?) was saying he wanted one. Tell us a little bit about it." And then like 10 people gathered around it and made a big deal about it, and it was the only device during that segment that got that attention.

sammy

Hot Shot's not at launch : [ is it assumed in the "launch window" ??

Any word on Twisted Metal ..?? suckage or not suckage?? I got mine paid either way, and have never played a TM game online.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Scoobert said:
By the way, if you're in Miami stay away from the EB in Dadeland as far as PSP preorders go. They will be getting 800 PSP's for the 24th, and they have even more preorders!

newsguy said:
Dadeland's EB is the size of a shoebox. If they're really getting 800, they're going to have to sell them out of a truck.

My friends from Miami, how are you.

Amir0x

Banned
sammy said:

Any word on Twisted Metal ..?? suckage or not suckage?? I got mine paid either way, and have never played a TM game online.

I think Gamepro gave Twisted Metal Head-On a 4/5 or 4.5/5 or something, although I'm not perfectly sure. But it is Gamepro, so I don't know how much you want to put on that :p

As for Hot Shot's... I don't even think it is in the launch window. I'm pretty sure it's not. I guess Sony didn't want to clutter the launch line-up with anymore first party games, and since Tiger Wood's is already there I think they want to give third parties plenty of breathing room.

The End

Some of the guys at work are getting Ridge Racers, so that's a definite now. I may pick up Darkstalkers for the same reason.

Nester

Paid off my PSP, Twisted Metal and Lumines today, put $5.00 down for preorders on Wipeout and Metal Gear. Now to look into a screen protector and a memory stick.

Portable gaming is getting expensive these days. :lol

Scoobert

newsguy said:

That's what the numbers said, maybe I read them wrong. Dadeland does have over 700 PSP preorders though.

TekunoRobby said:
My friends from Miami, how are you.

I'm ok, heh.

I honestly still don't know if I want a PSP. I'll see if I can afford one by the 24th. No games still interest me though. I'll have to check out some more gameplay videos. We'll see.

Argyle

sammy said:

I played it at GDC, and Twisted Metal is pretty damn good - I liked the first two games a lot, and I liked Black OK, but I didn't like the non-Incognito developed ones in the middle...

It plays a lot like TM2/Black - overall pleasantly surprised by it.

Quick shipping update:

According to sacklunch from the IGN boards, his wholesale distributer has the following up on thier corporate website:

My wholesale distributor lists the following PSP titles as shipping this week

* Dark Stalkers
* Ape Escape
* Lumines
* World Tour Soccer
* Wipeout Pure
* Untold Legends
* Twisted Metal Head On
* Spiderman 2
* THUG 2 Remix
* Gretzky
* NBA
* Dynasty Warriors
* Lumines

Gamecrazy in Oak Forest, IL has recieved World Tour Soccer and Gretzky Hockey

Any chance they're adding Online Play to Hot Shots Golf? I'm considering picking up Tiger Woods Golf at launch, but if Hot Shots had online play I might hold out for it instead.

Nester

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Any chance they're adding Online Play to Hot Shots Golf? I'm considering picking up Tiger Woods Golf at launch, but if Hot Shots had online play I might hold out for it instead.

That's my hope for why they're holding it back. HSG4 was a good time online.

Top Bottom