• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Nester

Mejilan said:
And a cable that has a label with the words "Hi-Speed Certified USB" is that a 1.1 or a 2.0 USB cable?

Thank you for responding.

The cable you got is 2.0. Guy shipped damn fast, didn't he?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Excellent! Thanks. :D

Yep. Very cheap and very fast. Would have cost me at least 2x as much to get the cable from a Radioshack...

neptunes

801938b.jpg

PSP Power Brick
Publisher: Electro Source/Pelican
Developer: Electro Source/Pelican
Platform: PSP
Category: Accessories
Pre-Release ETA: 3/22/05
Price:$19.99
Link

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
so I just got an email from ebgames telling me they'll be shipping Wipeout Pure on the 15th.

My question is, naturally, why? I'm ordering it as part of the bundle, so I clearly don't have the system yet ... I'd rather they just ship the whole thing as one package since I have to actually go pick it up from a fedex location. It's just odd, why ship the games out before the system's release?

Tommie Hu$tle said:
Ok I've read thru this thread but, I didn't get the exact anwser I am looking for. Ok, I'm could give a shit about the games. I've never enjoyed portable gaming, you just can't sell me on that. BUT, I am interested in using a PSP as a media center. I want to put my photos and home movies on a memstick and be able to view/play them. If I copy a video to a memstick I should be able to play it on the PSP is that correct?

If you're not much into the games, then why don't you buy a Personal Media Player instead? Sure, they are more money, but they also offer a lot more storage and can be a lot easier for getting content on. For instance, I have an Archos AV 420 which comes with a 20 GB hard drive. It also has a docking station that you can hook up to your TV to record directly on to it. You can even set it up to record TV shows automatically and it'll do video tapes and DVD's as well. It hooks up easily to your computer for downloaded files, plays Mp3's, work as a photo viewer, etc. The screen is smaller, but still very good, and battery life is better then the PSP. I got mine online for $430, which when you consider the PSP and a 1 GB card, really isn't a whole lot more for 20 times the storage and ease of capturing media. Just a thought.

Smaug

Banned
In case anyone has an Office Depot in their area, They have SanDisk 512mb Duo Pro's for 59.00 after rebates. Thats the cheapest I have seen for 512's. I think tomorrow is the last day for this offer though. YMMV

If anyone cares, once again it was confirmed today that PSP games would be region free. Sat in on a tech discussion and a head tech guy at Sony said he's been reading all the wild rumors about the region lock and can't believe its still going on.

DMczaf

Smaug said:
In case anyone has an Office Depot in their area, They have SanDisk 512mb Duo Pro's for 59.00 after rebates. Thats the cheapest I have seen for 512's. I think tomorrow is the last day for this offer though. YMMV

How much are they before rebates?

newsguy

From IGN:

Box copies from Japan are not locked down as to when they will arrive, but the first set should be off the docks throughout all of next week. These copies may make the trucks for retailers and get to warehouses as early as this Tuesday -- the impression that we got is that most games will be trickling in much later, but there are a few that are already confirmed to be on their way. Those early dates from retailers, however, are unlikely to stick even if the copies arrive. This is where things get tricky: stores have release date embargoes, but when we talked to the producers, they didn't seem to have for-sure word that the dates are locked. Your local Wal-Marts and maybe even EBs could hardly be bothered to move games off shelves for a system not due out for another two weeks, but online outlets slip games in the box and ship as soon as they can (unless told otherwise) in order to match up shipping times with release dates.

Bad news for those who own import PSP's and wanted to get those games sheduled for the 15th.

Tortfeasor

Got an email today from Gamestop offering 10% off of any purchase at my local store through 3/25 with coupon. Doesn't work on hardware, but I will be using it for my PSP games!!

Amir0x

Banned
Btw, the official site HAS updated finally. You can see it here. Still pretty unimpressive imho. The DS website was infinitely better. But maybe this is still just a placeholder for the real thing.

Mejilan

Just out of curiosity, can someone please tell me what the difference is between standard, pro, and pro duo mem sticks are?

Miburou

Mejilan said:
Just out of curiosity, can someone please tell me what the difference is between standard, pro, and pro duo mem sticks are?

Duo is just a physically smaller size than the regular sticks. Duos come with adaptors for use in devices that use regular sticks (e.g. Sony's Cybershot cameras).

A pro (either duo or regular) has a higher transfer speed than a regular stick. Also, pros come in larger capacities than non-pro ones.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Duo sticks only go up to 128MB
Duo Pro sticks range from 128MB -> 1GB(so far).

I think it was either 2GB or 4GB memory stick duo pros where going to be out before Christmas.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I just bought my PSP from EB today. Talking to the manager he said that if I paid in advance I would get one in the first shipment. I think they only have like 5 totally paid for, and I will be #6. It is the 250 'bundle', the PSP, headphones, AC adapter, memory stick, carrying case and Spidey 2 movie.

I probably will only get like 2 games at launch, if that many.

sammy

this might be a stupid question --- but I have my PSP + TM + Lumines + Wipeout all paid ..

how the shit do I get online?? or more direct can I get online with Twisted online as soon as I get home.. or at the coffee shop??

Ironclad

sammy said:
this might be a stupid question --- but I have my PSP + TM + Lumines + Wipeout all paid ..

how the shit do I get online?? or more direct can I get online with Twisted online as soon as I get home.. or at the coffee shop??
You need to setup your PSP with your wireless connection so they can connect. Shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to do that.

newsguy

If you have the wireless router at home, then it's very simple. If not, then go to the coffee shop which is probabaly a hotspot. You go into the menu screen of the PSP and you scroll down to where it says network settings. From there you name the connection "coffee shop." Set it to auto configure, and then save your settings. It will ask if you want to test the connection, then you can see how stron the connection is (50%-75% etc.). Once you're ready, pop in the game and it should connect under the menu option for online.

*Note, IGN says some games don't even require that you go through the PSP menu, and it will auto configure through the game's menu.

DMczaf

dskillzhtown said:
I just bought my PSP from EB today. Talking to the manager he said that if I paid in advance I would get one in the first shipment. I think they only have like 5 totally paid for, and I will be #6. It is the 250 'bundle', the PSP, headphones, AC adapter, memory stick, carrying case and Spidey 2 movie.

I probably will only get like 2 games at launch, if that many.

Yeah I gotta pay the rest of mine off. I have $175 on it so far, need about $93 left to finish it and make sure I get a first shipment with Spidey 2.

Prince

neptunes said:

i wonder how long you can play on this, i'm going for a 12+ flight at the end of april and a extra official battery is pretty expensive at the moment. and can you recharge this or does it work on batteries ?

can't find anything about psp products on the Pelican website.

newsguy

gprime said:

Posted by Atari in the impressions thread:

The official word they gave me is that some titles would likely make it out before launch, but they preferred that the retailers didn't sell them. They also said there is a "launch window" so some games that are listed at launch might not be out on launch day, but up to three or four weeks later.

Scoobert

Ok, I have some more EB info for you guys.

I'll start off with the games. Some games are going to be limited. Only game I remember is Metal Gear Acid. There are 4-5 games in an email that will be in short supply. So try to preorder if you can. Also, some games and accessories come in before the 24th. Those can and will be sold before the PSP launches. So if you see a date of the 15th, you'll be able to get that day.

Now I have some info about allocation numbers. Stores received there PSP allocation numbers today in an email. Only managers and assistant managers can see these emails though. It seems every store has enough for ALL preorders so far. For example, our store barely has over a 100 preorders. I would say about 110. We are getting 100 PSP's! I know several people have two PSP's preordered and some will cancel. So if you haven't preordered yet, defenitely do so NOW. They might say you are second shipment, but that store may have enough to cover a few more people.

Also, no word on any bundles for EBgames. So far it seems that idea was thrown out the window....for now.

Hope this helps.

Dilbert

Scoobert said:

I'll start off with the games. Some games are going to be limited. Only game I remember is Metal Gear Acid. There are 4-5 games in an email that will be in short supply. So try to preorder if you can. Also, some games and accessories come in before the 24th. Those can and will be sold before the PSP launches. So if you see a date of the 15th, you'll be able to get that day.

Now I have some info about allocation numbers. Stores received there PSP allocation numbers today in an email. Only managers and assistant managers can see these emails though. It seems every store has enough for ALL preorders so far. For example, our store barely has over a 100 preorders. I would say about 110. We are getting 100 PSP's! I know several people have two PSP's preordered and some will cancel. So if you haven't preordered yet, defenitely do so NOW. They might say you are second shipment, but that store may have enough to cover a few more people.

Also, no word on any bundles for EBgames. So far it seems that idea was thrown out the window....for now.

Hope this helps.
Great info -- you rock!

Went to an Ebgames here in Chicago, they had 33 preorders but had just received word they would be getting 50 units at launch. I had the rep repeat to me 3x that I was guaranteed a PSP on the 24th. He said yes and that I could pick it up at midnight. SOLD!

Paid in full:
PSP Value Pack
Lumines
Wipeout Pure

Rock.

belgurdo

Banned
Is any store having some trade in deals on the value pack itself? I've got a lot of stuff in my collection that can happily go and I'm curious if there's any way I can get a bargain

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hey Sal, would that happen to be the EB in Webster Place? If so, I gotta get my ass down there to do the same.

Brandon F said:
Hey Sal, would that happen to be the EB in Webster Place? If so, I gotta get my ass down there to do the same.

Sorry for the bad info, Brandon. Here's the correct EB:

EB Games #2649
Mall: Riverfront Plaza
2603 N ELSTON AVENUE
CHICAGO IL, 60647 US
773-252-9935

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Scoobert said:

I'll start off with the games. Some games are going to be limited. Only game I remember is Metal Gear Acid. There are 4-5 games in an email that will be in short supply. So try to preorder if you can. .

The games from EB in that e-mail that were classified as 'limited' from EB were: Metal Gear Acid, Need For Speed Underground, Untold Legends, and Ridge Racer.

krypt0nian said:
IGN has 3 cool vids showing Twisted Metal's online setup, chat room and WiFi game modes/car select at this webpage

VERY COOL!

Forgive my stupidity (its late and this could be a brain fart) but why does Twisted Metal have 3 multiplayer setup modes?

1) ad-hoc

2) infrastructure

3) infrastructure lan

Am I missing something that would tell me the difference between 2 and 3? Unless there is maybe a infrastructure mode that is just used to upload scores, as opposed to lan play?

Scoobert

Mejilan said:
What do you mean by 'thrown out the window?'

Thrown out. I mean it seems the whole idea was forgotten and might not be used. Thank goodness!

dskillzhtown said:
The games from EB in that e-mail that were classified as 'limited' from EB were: Metal Gear Acid, Need For Speed Underground, Untold Legends, and Ridge Racer.

Thanks! I couldn't remember what they were. Just got off of work yesterday when I wrote everything when I typed all that. Hopefully everything made sense and tried not to forget anything. Obviously I did. :lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Dont ask me why but I just sat here and read every single post in this thread...anyway:

PSP
Lumines
Metal Gear Solid Ac!d
Wipeout Pure
512BM Sandisk

paid in full and waiting

Mejilan

Thanks Scoob.

I've got the PSP, Dynasty Warriors, Metal Gear Acid, Lumines, Wipeout Pure, and Tony Hawk Underground 2 Remix all preordered and confirmed.

Also picked up some screen protectors (Brando), a USB2 link cable (arrived), and a Sandisk 1gb Duo Pro Mem Stick (should ship next week.)

Cannot wait.

Top Bottom