• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
There was word that they switched for cheaper costing screens
They did, a few months Before Japanese launch happened.

Of course the rumourmongers are more interested in sensationalism then actual facts, so we got the modified version of rumour that you are asking about instead.

The End

So, EB called "You're one of the lucky ones getting a PSP, you still want it, right?"

YES

"we've got some of the games and accessories in, do you want to pick them up early"

NO

:lol

Question for Canadians since I can't seem to search: Where are you guys picking up your Memory Cards? Any good deals on that and other accesories around?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They did, a few months Before Japanese launch happened.
Isn't even that just a rumor, though? I know it's based on screen on devkit units, but everything I've heard about it seems speculative and inconclusive.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I know it's based on screen on devkit units, but everything I've heard about it seems speculative and inconclusive.
Obviously it's speculative - else I wouldn't post it ;)

Basically you have two conspiracy theories people would like latching to.
One will claim "bait and switch" (ie. retail screen was always same, they just used higherend display for the early showings), and the other that "knows" of the 330$ -> 200$ price drop, in which case cheaper screen fits right in.

Of course both of these fly in the face of 500$ to manufacture PSP theorists, but that's another matter.

Syckx

I must suck at converting. I am trying to convert Office Space from a DVD I ripped but it is just a bunch of non-descript files. I figured out the .VOB extension are the actual film but when I convert them with 3GP, I get no picture but I do get sound. What am I doing wrong?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Syckx said:
I must suck at converting. I am trying to convert Office Space from a DVD I ripped but it is just a bunch of non-descript files. I figured out the .VOB extension are the actual film but when I convert them with 3GP, I get no picture but I do get sound. What am I doing wrong?

If you suck, then try iPSP - its slightly easier to use. But 3GPP isn't difficult.

Install the latest version of quicktime (you can find a standalone installer without iTunes if you are bothered about that)

Then open 3GPP, and just drag the VOB into the window. Make sure you select an output format and set the destination folder. As long as its a decrypted VOB (try DVD decrypter), you should be fine.

IgeL

This thread makes me want to play some RR right now...

Change would be nice, though, so I now have this urgent desire to get Spider-Man 2, Wipeout Pure, Untold Legends and Ape Escape. Living in Europe makes this a little bit harder, because I want them asap.

How easily can you get PSP games from the stores right now? I have a cousin on a vacation in the New York / Manhattan area - should I ask him to get the games or should I just order online?

And this may be a stupid question, but how do you connect the PSP to your PC? I have the cable but XP says something about not recognizing the USB device. My (Japanese) package didn't have any installation CD or anything, so what's up? Haven't tried iPSP yet.

Edit: Apparently my motherboard has some weirdly malfunctioning USB ports.. changing the port did the trick, now the PSP shows up just fine.

jenov4

yodathesoda said:
Question for Canadians since I can't seem to search: Where are you guys picking up your Memory Cards? Any good deals on that and other accesories around?

This probably isn't the answer that you're looking for, but I ordered mine from eBay. Memory stick prices up here are just too expensive.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
IgeL said:
How easily can you get PSP games from the stores right now? I have a cousin on a vacation in the New York / Manhattan area - should I ask him to get the games or should I just order online?

Seems to depend on the store (Best Buy would not sell ANYTHING), but I've already purchased several games from EB Games and did not pre-order any of them. Tell him to try them and also Gamestop if he can't find what you're looking for. There's no street date on the games so everyone should be selling them NOW, but some stores are refusing to do so.

And this may be a stupid question, but how do you connect the PSP to your PC? I have the cable but XP says something about not recognizing the USB device. My (Japanese) package didn't have any installation CD or anything, so what's up? Haven't tried iPSP yet.

Don't know...when I connected the PSP to my PC, XP recognized it right away. Did you format the memory stick?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's true. They did switch screens out before Japanese launch. The screens at TGS and E3 were different.
That's actually just another speculation. DCharlie is the only person who seems to think this is true, and even he doesn't seem to be sure.

Amir0x

Banned
Marconelly said:
That's actually just another speculation. DCharlie is the only person who seems to think this is true, and even he doesn't seem to be sure.

It's not actually speculation, I don't think. I don't know what I'm supposed to say, because last time "we" (the forum) discussed this I got PMed by a few people who told me about it and said they couldn't write it in the forum. So I'll just say that the people who said this I trust, and they have no reason to lie.

The difference between the US and JPN units, however, are none.

But I guess that's not solid concrete evidence, so of course I respect if you would rather have hard evidence.

Syckx

I really love F-Zero, but don't know if I like the idea of weapons in a racer. I loved the burnout games so if Ridge Racer is like that, I would probably go for that. I have to admit I have never played a game in either series.

Amir0x

Banned
Syckx said:
I really love F-Zero, but don't know if I like the idea of weapons in a racer. I loved the burnout games so if Ridge Racer is like that, I would probably go for that. I have to admit I have never played a game in either series.

Well, Ridge Racer is closer to Burnout than Wipeout is.

Think of Mario Kart with an F-Zero skin. Would that be appealing to you?

Syckx

When I decrypt DVDs there are about 5-10 .VOB files, is there any way to get them so the movie is just in one file? Also, do I need to decrypt the .IFO or .BUP files? I am using DVD Decryptor.

EDIT: If it's like Mario Kart with an F-Zero skin I'll go with Ridge Racer. Thanks.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Man, I've had to just accept the fact that I can't find a 1GB memory stick in time for launch. Hopefully I'll get mine later in the week when it's suppposed to ship.

IgeL

Lyte Edge said:
Don't know...when I connected the PSP to my PC, XP recognized it right away. Did you format the memory stick?
Huh? Format the memory stick? No... I just put it in and started playing Ridge Racers. What does the formatting do? Will I lose my RR save if I format?

Thanks for the store info... should call my cousin then.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
$149.99....I assume they can be obtained cheaper at other places. The 512 MB is $89 on Ebgames and I remember seeing it in stock for $59 somewhere...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah, EB is the only safe bet. Any other site that is backordered, or lists an ETA, is gonna be a no-go. They've been taking orders for weeks now and have certainly exceeded the number they're initially getting in (also consider that many online stores use the same warehouse for their supply). And that's just the gaming sticks. The standard Sandisk 1GB Pro Duos have been delayed until late April, at least.

If you really want a 1GB stick, just pay the extra $40, because you're not getting one this week otherwise.

Syckx

So how do I make one movie file from the mess of .VOB that get decrypted? Is there a program to do it, or do I have to encode each chapter one by on?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
acklame said:
wario, which three games did you trade in at eb to get TM?

Mechassault (Xbox, $8)
Stunt GT (PS2, $6)
Outlaw Golf: 9 more holes (Xbox, $5-free title)

For demos, they accept PS2 jampack 11 (winter 2004) and Xbox Exhibition vol. 3 and up. My Gamestop had a Jampack 11 used for $3, so I'm gonna get that and probably trade in 2 Xbox games that I hardly play

Just print the EBgames exclusion list and take some time going through the cheap used games :p

I'm probably gonna get Metal Gear Acid and some other titles that I wouldn't have bought at $40

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Syckx said:
So how do I make one movie file from the mess of .VOB that get decrypted? Is there a program to do it, or do I have to encode each chapter one by on?
If you're using DVD Decrypter:

Tools - Settings - IFO Mode - File Splitting - Select "None"

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I haven't been exactly following the online side of the PSP, since I don't plan on going online with it much. But I have a wireless network set up in my house... would I be able to connect to that and go online rather than going to a "hot spot"?

SnowWolf said:
I haven't been exactly following the online side of the PSP, since I don't plan on going online with it much. But I have a wireless network set up in my house... would I be able to connect to that and go online rather than going to a "hot spot"?

Yes

Seth C

Wario64 said:
Mechassault (Xbox, $8)
Stunt GT (PS2, $6)
Outlaw Golf: 9 more holes (Xbox, $5-free title)

For demos, they accept PS2 jampack 11 (winter 2004) and Xbox Exhibition vol. 3 and up. My Gamestop had a Jampack 11 used for $3, so I'm gonna get that and probably trade in 2 Xbox games that I hardly play

Just print the EBgames exclusion list and take some time going through the cheap used games :p

I'm probably gonna get Metal Gear Acid and some other titles that I wouldn't have bought at $40

Woah, they accept 9 More Holes? The local Blockbuster has tons of them for $1 each.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Seth C said:
Woah, they accept 9 More Holes? The local Blockbuster has tons of them for $1 each.

That's what I'm saying! The Outlaw Volleyball exclusive won't work though. Also, I believe Blockbuster has a buy 2 get 1 free deal going on too. Capitalize on that.

fugimax

Where's this trade-in 3 games for 1 first party Sony game promo listed? I don't see it on the website. Also, what *are* the first party titles?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ebpspfree6ss.jpg

ends april 10th

p.s. it doesn't have to be 1st party, just place an order on one of those then go back and return it for another game

fugimax

Thanks Wario, just bought these for $39:

Arx Fatalis XB
Wakeboarding XB
TriggerMan XB
Pitfall XB
RibbitKing GCN
Pulse Racer XB

And traded them in for:

Twisted Metal PSP
Wipeout Pure PSP

Already had TM, so I guess I'll jsut take that back once Mercury comes in and get that.

Seth C

I'm going to have to hit up Gamestop and EB tomorrow. I was planning to buy two launch games, but if I can spend $100 and get 4-5? Even better. :)

bridegur

Will somebody take some nice pictures of their PSP running different games (namely Tony Hawk, Twisted Metal, Ape Escape)? Pictures like that always look nicer than screenshots.

Syckx

iPSP turned my DVD files into .3gp files. Is this correct? I thought they had to be .mp4. I heard you have to rename the files to be them to play, also. What would I have to reneme it to?

The damn thing turned them into full screen, too.

acklame

traded in 6 games for Wipeout & TM.

Damn the UMDs are tiny!!

also, when I trade in 6 games for 2 psp games at EB I had to pay 6 bucks tax. Did that happen for anyone?

jiggle

Wario64 said:
ebpspfree6ss.jpg

ends april 10th

p.s. it doesn't have to be 1st party, just place an order on one of those then go back and return it for another game

Awesome deal

Should I unseal all the games I'm gonna trade in?

Top Bottom