• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think you're suppose to pay tax...I had to pay it

I guess if you preordered it, you don't until you get your games?

Can anyone who's received an early US PSP unit say what languages it'll run in? I know the Japanese PSP had Japanese, English, and a few others; i was curious what the US one will run.

Alex

This system has way too many interesting launch games... I'm getting Twisted Metal for sure, but I'm not sure about others. Wipeout and Lumines and all that jazz look great, but I'm also interested in trying stuff like Untold Legends, Metal Gear Acid and Ape Escape.

I just really hope they run a PSP Greatest Hits line in the future.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone have any info on the 'power brick' ?

http://gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=801938

801938b.jpg

Fry's was advertising it in this morning's paper too, but I don't know any specific details on the battery itself

BuddyC

I've seen that in store. Basically, it's just an adapter that lets you use AA batteries to power the PSP. Additionally, because it goes in the AC Adapter port, you can use the 4th brightness setting with it.

Ironclad

Syckx said:
I must suck at converting. I am trying to convert Office Space from a DVD I ripped but it is just a bunch of non-descript files. I figured out the .VOB extension are the actual film but when I convert them with 3GP, I get no picture but I do get sound. What am I doing wrong?
You need to convert the .VOB file to an avi file and then use something like 3GP or iPSP. You have to use a codec like Auto Gordian Knot or something similar to that.

aoi tsuki

Wario64 said:
AA batteries? wtf...worthless
Depends on your situation, especially if you have rechargeable AAs at home. Frankly, i'd rather make an Altoids case battery pack with rechargable AAs. With summer coming up, a solar charger for the car would make a nice project.

zackattack said:
Tax on trade-ins is dependant on what state you're in, I think.
YEah, the EB manager mentioned this when i traded some games in for WOP. Florida's one of those states where they don't pay tax on trade-ins.

BuddyC

modojo.com has more PSP reviews up. First reviews I've seen for ATV and NBA.

ATV Offroad Fury: 3/5

Sony and Climax Studios are kicking up mud and boring me to tears with ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails for the PSP. Essentially a collection of the same old stuff we've been playing on the PS2 for the last few years, Blazin' Trails fails to tantalize the senses but rather frays the nerves with a sloppy frame rate and awkward controls. If you're willing to make a few concessions you'll take some enjoyment from this extreme racing title, but with several higher quality games on the shelf, it's recommended that you pass up this lackluster title.

NBA: 2/5

Sony may have assembled a stellar launch lineup for its portable system, but this game is a nasty blemish.
To its credit, NBA 2005 is playable, and if you're just messing around with a friend I'm sure you'll have some level of fun, but I just plain think it's one of the few bad PSP launch games. It's an embarrassment to the sport of basketball as portrayed by videogames, a pick-up game between ten players who have broken legs and are trying to walk on them. I'm disappointed that Sony and 989 would release such a product for what should be a sensational console launch. If NBA represented the actual National Basketball Association, I'd pray for a lock out.

Twisted Metal: Head On: 4/5

While some may say Nintendo fumbled its DS launch, Sony has seemingly done an outstanding job putting together a solid first day lineup for its PSP, and Twisted Metal Head-On is a shining example of quality. Sure, it's more of the same, and if you want to talk innovation this game has very little to offer, but in a way an old experience has become somewhat new again. It's not the best PSP launch title, but Twisted Metal Head-On is very solid and worth checking out.

Lumines: 5/5

Lumines is to the PSP what Tetris is to the Game Boy. This is the reason to purchase the system, but its significance goes far beyond just being another quality puzzler. Not only does Mizuguchi's masterpiece match Pajitnov's classic title, but it surpasses it, capturing the crown that's been held by Russia's greatest game for over a decade. Like waves crashing onto a white sandy beach, it's a spectacular elemental fusion that lulls you into a zen-like state, a type of serenity that relaxes your body as well as your mind as you peacefully walk its shores. An artistic achievement and a must buy, Lumines is therapy for the soul.

druie

On the official PSP website, it says Ridge Racer supports Infrastructure mode (http://www.us.playstation.com/games.aspx?id=ULUS-10001). I know the Japanese version didn't support this, and none of the US reviews have made mention of it. Can anyone here who has their copy already verify whether or not it does have this feature? I know it probably doesn't, but I just wanted some clarification. Thanks in advance.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I should have ordered it when I opened the page. Oh well

It was in stock for me when I checked it a while ago too. Or at least I think it did

Anyone think its worth getting Ridge Racers and Wipeout at launch? I'm planning on getting 3 games, 2 at alunch and 1 a couple days later for my birthday. So wipeout, Lumines and Ridge Racer? Or should I take a racing game out for Untold Legends? If so, which one?

Ratcage said:
Anyone think its worth getting Ridge Racers and Wipeout at launch? I'm planning on getting 3 games, 2 at alunch and 1 a couple days later for my birthday. So wipeout, Lumines and Ridge Racer? Or should I take a racing game out for Untold Legends? If so, which one?

You've got the exact same issue I do. I can't see getting two racing games at once, especially since I'm hip deep in GT4 right now. Now, I know ALL 3 are different types of racing games, but still.

I wish Hot Shots Golf was a launch game. I think I'll be getting RR & Untold Legends as well. Although, I haven't seen any UT reviews yet, it would have to be quite a fall from the Champions/Baldurs Gate games for me not to enjoy it.

Finally, who's getting the replacement warranty? It's only $25 at EBGames and it seems worth it to me for a couple of reasons:

1) If I drop it and crack the screen / mess up buttons / screw up the drive,etc, I can get a new one no questions asked. I don't think a standard manufacturer warranty will do that.

2) If I think it has one or two too many dead pixels (or 5), I can get a replacement

3) If I think in 9 months, the screen or buttons are a little crudded up, I can just return it for a new one, which might be a newer revision.

I guess part of the big question is, what do they give you back? A brand new PSP or a factory or EB refurbished one?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
They'll probably give you a refurbised/used one, especially if the PSP sells like hot cakes for the first year and beyond

Scoobert

The warranty is $32. Don't know where the $25 thing started from. And you would get a new unit.

I also found out something interesting about the warranty and EB. Stores won't have enough warranty cards for every single PSP on the 24th. I have no idea what's going to happen when we run out and someone wants a warranty. I definitely have to find out tomorrow.

Also, every EB is opening different on the 24th. Some are opening up at midnight, some are opening a couple hours earlier, and some are opening normal times. Although I think most stores will be atleast opening up by 8am because Best Buy is forcing their hand.

Edit: I'm going to get some warranty issues cleared up tomorrow also. Want to double check if you do get a new unit*which I'm pretty sure of), find out about the low supply of warranty cards, and find out if EB will cover Sony's warranty period instead of having to deal with Sony(of course I'm talking about if you get the extra warranty).

ManaByte

Gold Member
Scoobert said:
The warranty is $32. Don't know where the $25 thing started from. And you would get a new unit.

I also found out something interesting about the warranty and EB. Stores won't have enough warranty cards for every single PSP on the 24th. I have no idea what's going to happen when we run out and someone wants a warranty. I definitely have to find out tomorrow.

Also, every EB is opening different on the 24th. Some are opening up at midnight, some are opening a couple hours earlier, and some are opening normal times. Although I think most stores will be atleast opening up by 8am because Best Buy is forcing their hand.

Edit: I'm going to get some warranty issues cleared up tomorrow also. Want to double check if you do get a new unit*which I'm pretty sure of), find out about the low supply of warranty cards, and find out if EB will cover Sony's warranty period instead of having to deal with Sony(of course I'm talking about if you get the extra warranty).

The warranty is $25 at Gamestop.

Scoobert

ManaByte said:
The warranty is $25 at Gamestop.

Ah, I assume thats the mistake then. Everyone is confusing the two, or just assume they would offer the warranty at the same price.

Either way, EB's warranty for the PSP is in fact $32. If you want to be specific it's $31.99.

Unison

vatstep said:
Yeah, EB is the only safe bet. Any other site that is backordered, or lists an ETA, is gonna be a no-go. They've been taking orders for weeks now and have certainly exceeded the number they're initially getting in (also consider that many online stores use the same warehouse for their supply). And that's just the gaming sticks. The standard Sandisk 1GB Pro Duos have been delayed until late April, at least.

If you really want a 1GB stick, just pay the extra $40, because you're not getting one this week otherwise.

I have had mine (2) on order from Buy.com for two months now. I decided to bite the bullet & order from Ebgames...

I got a 10% discount since I'm a Gamespot complete member, too. :D

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Scoobert said:
Wouldn't you just be able to go back at a later date and pay for it? With other hardware I've bought at EB, they gave me a time period (might've been two weeks, might've been a month, I can't remember) within which I could still pay for the warranty.

And as of today, the manager of the EB I'm buying from is still saying $25. If I go in Thursday and they're asking $31.99, I'm going to be pissed.

aoi tsuki

Mrbob said:
Umm, doesn't the PSP come with a one year warranty?
One year limited, meaning it's actually somewhere between 30-90 days of actual service where you send it to them and they'll fix it. Trust me, you don't want to have to deal with Sony's customer service. Even within the warranty period, there's so many exceptions to what they'll fix, especially if you tell them you used third party accessories with your system. Out of warranty, you may be better off buying a new device.

My old Clie's screen got destroyed, and it was within the warranty period. They don't cover screen damage (most companies don't actually), but it would've cost me $150 for a new screen, plus shipping. i had just got it two months previously for $400. My current Clie has a dying battery and the screen emits a high frequency pitch. Both of these are fairly common with this model, but there's nothing they can do about the screen. Installation of a replacement battery is $120, again plus shipping. i got a CompUSA TAP plan which covers all of this. As soon as i find my receipt, i'll send it in.

The advantage to getting an extended warranty for the PSP is that you can simply return it to the store you got it from if you have a problem. You don't have to send it anywhere, wait for it to return, only to find the technicians scratched it to hell, and of course there's not much you can do about that. Of course you should read the warranty info of the plan before committing to it.

Edit: As an example, EB's plan doesn't cover the battery, or as they put it, "Expendable item(s), including, but not limited to, batteries and other operating supplies and consumable item(s)." It also doesn't cover cosmetic damage, nor damage due to power failure, inadequate power, or my personal favorite, "Acts of God".

Alex

Does Circuit City run a Warranty gig? I'm either going to try and buy mine from them, or Best buy.

aoi tsuki

Pretty much all retailers offer some sort of extended warranty for their products. Replacement plans are generally better than service plans for portable electronics, because you ideally just tell them what your problem is, show them your receipt and plan, and walk out with a brand new system. Occasionally this means keeping the original system's accessories (you "forgot" to bring them). With a service plan they try to fix it, and if they can't after three times, you get another one or a refund. Some places have all-inclusive plans that determine whether a product is replaced or serviced based on what category it falls into. Just drop by any retailers you think you might get a PSP from and pick up a form.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
My EB has a sign saying their warranty is the only one covering screen damage. I don't much care, come hell or high water I'm getting a new unit at the end of one year.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Musashi Wins! said:
My EB has a sign saying their warranty is the only one covering screen damage. I don't much care, come hell or high water I'm getting a new unit at the end of one year.
I'm not going to say I wouldn't do this, but I would just have to laugh at someone if the perfectly good PSP they returned got them one riddled with dead pixels / dust under screen / other problems. Yeah, they could probably return it again..but still.

aoi tsuki

Musashi Wins! said:
Someone should definitely call them on that. Best Buy employees used to make claims that their warranty covered anything, and Primetime Live and some other big news sources busted them for it. i'm looking at the EB "Always Play With Protection" :)lol) brochure now, and it says it doesn't cover damage due to "causes beyond Our control". i think CompUSA's warranty is one of few that covers screen damage, but it's been a while since i've read my agreement.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Actually I mistakenly posted a PM into the second post at first... :O
And then I changed my mind about the first one too :p

Amir0x

Banned
Tabris said:
Quick question. I've never got a warranty for a system before.

How is EBGames for that?

All complaints about the store aside, they provide excellent extended warranties I find.

duckroll

Reserved Metal Gear Ac!d and Twisted Metal Head-On today. Will finally have something to contribute to this thread later this week. I'm excited! :D

Top Bottom