• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Andy787

Banned
Does anyone with the actual Best Buy ad have the entire details of what the early opening blurb says? Or, better yet, a larger scan of that page?

And also, for the EB trade in deal, is the exclusion list the exact same as the huge ass exclusion list on their site?

Warranty cards are not important at EB, it's about the receipt and serial/ESA#

Unless you want to read about the warranty that is.

Edit:Oh yeah, pretty sure EB system warranties usually = 10% of the price, in brackets.

ManaByte said:
The warranty is $25 at Gamestop.
I went to pre-order Ridge Racer on friday at Gamestop and asked about the warranty, they said "Oh it comes with a one year manufacturer's warranty." I assumed this means they don't offer one. Is it only certain Gamestops that offer it?

Gonna be picking up 3 on the 24th and i was going to get a warranty with my unit. I actually have one reserved at a gamestop so i figured i'd call and see about their warranty and the guy said it was $60 bucks for a year and that if i did get one to call ahead first so they could get the papers out of the safe. I'd actually heard this before from another employee there but i thought he was clueless so wrote it off, apparently though that's that particular stores deal. For that price that particular unit will be seeing ebay lol.

michael000 said:
Gonna be picking up 3 on the 24th and i was going to get a warranty with my unit. I actually have one reserved at a gamestop so i figured i'd call and see about their warranty and the guy said it was $60 bucks for a year and that if i did get one to call ahead first so they could get the papers out of the safe.
$60 for 3 or 1?If it's $60 then screw it.

Rolio

it came from g-faqs, so it's probably fake,
but just imagine wireless surfing from anywhere in your house (for those of us with wireless networks but no laptop)

thursday will never come

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
<sigh> I still haven't decided what title I'm getting this week... the Missus is getting DW, I'm looking at Ridge Racer, NFSUR, Wipeout, and Metal Gear... I guess I'll read reviews of all of them and decide...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The warranty is $32. Don't know where the $25 thing started from. And you would get a new unit.

Where are you getting that from? A friend of mine is a manager at an EB and my younger sibling happens to work at that same location. The warranty is $25 (at least around here).

I've already bought Wipeout and Twisted Metal-- c'mon, Wednesday night!

Speakimg of the missus: WHen I told her tha games I planned on getting-- Wipeout, TM:HO and Lumines-- she asked me what Lumines was.

I said "It's a falling block kinda puzzle with music/rhthym elemets, but the Rez guy." SHe peomptly boggled at why I hadn't told her abotu it sooner, since that basically describes a game that would be tailor-made to her tastes.

Scoobert

Florida. I know it's $32 here because I saw the shipment date of the warranty cards and they list them at $32. Not only that, but when you do a preorder on the PSP a screen pops up about the warranty. Clearly says $32.

I guess all I can say is that I hope I'm wrong then.

aoi tsuki

Rolio said:

but just imagine wireless surfing from anywhere in your house (for those of us with wireless networks but no laptop)

thursday will never come
It's a mockup; i just got through with a thread about it over at IGN.

DarienA

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Anyone seen any games at Best Buy yet or are they holding them until Thursday?

According to the site, you should start seeing games in today, then more tomorrow, etc...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
A friend who works at Best Buy says they're not selling games till Thursday, so it may be a YMMV thing

I think they're holding back so they can claim high sales when it comes to Thursday

atomsk

Party Pooper
speaking of warranties, just wanted to mention TRU's plan is 1 year past manufacturer warranty for 25 bucks.

the catch is you dont return it to the store, you call this phone number and they either
a: send you a new one or
b: issue you a TRU gift card for the amount you paid

personally, i hate having to push them, but i thought i'd just chime in on that

suikodan

yodathesoda said:
Question for Canadians since I can't seem to search: Where are you guys picking up your Memory Cards? Any good deals on that and other accesories around?

jenov4 said:
This probably isn't the answer that you're looking for, but I ordered mine from eBay. Memory stick prices up here are just too expensive.

What size did you buy? As for me, I bought a 512Mb card for 120$ at Compusmart. 1Gb cards were too expensive and especially back ordered.

jenov4

suikodan said:
What size did you buy? As for me, I bought a 512Mb card for 120$ at Compusmart. 1Gb cards were too expensive and especially back ordered.

I got a 512Mb card for $80 something USD which included shipping. It hasn't arrived yet, but the guy had like 20k+ feedback.

Also, I heard Costco has the 512Mb cards for $89 Canadian which is an amazing price!

BuddyC

Rolio said:

thursday will never come
I can confirm...
PSP4.jpg

...that it's a fake. Sorry.

bean breath said:
$60 for 3 or 1?If it's $60 then screw it.

They told me $60 for 1 and that the plans went as high as $200 lol. Like i said though YMMV, your best bet is a quick phone call if you have a reservation with them or are that curious.

So today's the first day the PSP television ads run.

Best bet: WWE RAW at 9pm eastern

Maybe: ESPN/MTV

Anyone planning on capturing them? Better yet, do we know who's doing them? In the past we've found them on the ad firm's website.

Dilbert

I bought Wipeout Pure and Twisted Metal: Head On while out on my lunch break, and my Martin Fields screen protectors showed up in the mail on Friday. I am supposedly in the first group of PSP pre-orders at my local EBGames for Thursday, and I assume Lumines will be available in store that day...

...but the way things are looking now, I may have to go on a business trip Thursday early enough that I won't be able to pick up the unit itself before heading for the airport since the store claims (at least at this point) that they won't be open until 10 AM!

#$^$%&#^#&^#U*&&#*U#

Tabris

Damn, so I went to EB today. They SO have my PSP in the back but can't release it yet. Getting memory sticks in later on today, so I'll pick up a 1GB stick.

Quick question: What's the best PSP movie encoding software? PSPVideo9?

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Tabris said:

I've had the most luck with 3GPP.

Personally, I hope there is a firmware update for the PSP's media capabilities soon. Its strictness with naming conventions is a real hassle.

DarienA

Tabris said:
Damn, so I went to EB today. They SO have my PSP in the back but can't release it yet. Getting memory sticks in later on today, so I'll pick up a 1GB stick.

What price is EB carrying the 1GB at?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
EGM92 said:
Does anyone know the return policy/warrenty from BlockBuster??

From CAG, info may be outdated however:

Blockbuster/GameRush
Courtesy: CoryCubed
BLOCKBUSTER guarantees the quality of previously viewed movies and games. If there is a problem with the movie or game, bring it back with your receipt within 30 days and we will exchange the movie or game. Refunds if unopened.

All new unopened hardware can be exchanged or refunded with a receipt(unless it was done on a membership account). No returns for defective systems as they come with manufacturer warranty.

All preowned hardware comes with a 30 day guarantee. Exchanges and refunds only given with receipt unless they were done on the account.

Preowned software has a 30 day guarentee. No returns if you don't like it unless you want regular trade in value credit.

EGM92

Wario64 said:

Blockbuster/GameRush
BLOCKBUSTER guarantees the quality of previously viewed movies and games. If there is a problem with the movie or game, bring it back with your receipt within 30 days and we will exchange the movie or game. Refunds if unopened.

All new unopened hardware can be exchanged or refunded with a receipt(unless it was done on a membership account). No returns for defective systems as they come with manufacturer warranty.

All preowned hardware comes with a 30 day guarantee. Exchanges and refunds only given with receipt unless they were done on the account.

Preowned software has a 30 day guarentee. No returns if you don't like it unless you want regular trade in value credit.

Damn I have a US PSP one of them is fine but the other has 1 deadpixel on the lower right hand cornor the screen. So I would have to contact Sony about that?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I suppose so. But if you feel dirty, you could try getting an exchange at Walmart without a receipt...you'd probably have to do it at the midnight launch or whenever Walmart decides to sell them though :p

Ironclad

Just came back from eb games and they had TM: HO, Darkstalkers, and a few sports games on sale. Out in the open for anybody to see. I'm gonna have to go pick up some used games at Gamestop if I want darkstalkers cheap.

Edit: Anybody know if Gamestop is doing a buy two get one free used deal? There were recently but I don't know if it ended.

EGM92

Wario64 said:
I suppose so. But if you feel dirty, you could try getting an exchange at Walmart without a receipt...you'd probably have to do it at the midnight launch or whenever Walmart decides to sell them though :p
How does that work?!... I've never heard of Wal-Mart Doing that...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ironclad_Ninja said:
Just came back from eb games and they had TM: HO, Darkstalkers, and a few sports games on sale. Out in the open for anybody to see. I'm gonna have to go pick up some used games at Gamestop if I want darkstalkers cheap.

Edit: Anybody know if Gamestop is doing a buy two get one free used deal? There were recently but I don't know if it ended.

They're still doing it. I just picked up 2 lots of 3 games for about $20 each today. Not exactly the best price. I'm gonna go check out Blockbuster for some Outlaw Golf: 9 more holes of golf (they're only like $2 each and they're doing a buy 2 get 1 free thing too I think)

Picked up 2 copies of PS2 Jampack 11 demos too, gonna see if I can trade them in. They're eligible but sometimes the employee might be smart enough to deny it

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
EGM92 said:
How does that work?!... I've never heard of Wal-Mart Doing that...

Walmart usually allows returns and exchanges without a receipt, but they track you and give you a limit per year. But thinking about it, I doubt you'll be able to exchange it. It's unlikely that they'll believe you 'lost' your receipt when they just started selling PSPs on Thursday...

Planning on buying a PSP at Circuit City? Well I hope you're a Twisted Metal fan because we're selling it bundle only with Head On for $289.99. I asked my manager if a customer wanted a different game could it be swapped and she suprisingly said no. I have a feeling she was just being stubborn so hopefully the higher-ups at your local store may be more sensible. The store will open early at 8 AM and at Circuit City the warranty is 2 years for $49.99 and it's straight replacement (call a phone number to ship PSP out for free, get gift card for cost of system and remaining coverage). Also SanDisk 256 MB Pro Duo's are on sale for $45 with an additional $10 mail-in rebate bringing it down to $35.

Quick question, would you as a customer be annoyed if the dead pixel and sticky square button issues were brought up as justification for getting the warranty? I unlike most in my store don't care that much about my service numbers and am trying to gauge the best way to bring it up without being a greedy dick.

Ironclad

Wario64 said:
They're still doing it. I just picked up 2 lots of 3 games for about $20 each today. Not exactly the best price. I'm gonna go check out Blockbuster for some Outlaw Golf: 9 more holes of golf (they're only like $2 each and they're doing a buy 2 get 1 free thing too I think)

Picked up 2 copies of PS2 Jampack 11 demos too, gonna see if I can trade them in. They're eligible but sometimes the employee might be smart enough to deny it
That's good to hear. I will probably scrounge around for Outlaw Golf as well. Thanks for the heads up.

AZ Greg

Quick question. I understand the EB trade in 3 games get 1 SONY psp game, but how do you go about switching it to a non sony title? And are the EB workers generally cool with letting you switch games? Thanks :)

DMczaf

Wario64 said:

Does Freestyle Street Soccer work under the deal? My Blockbuster has a bunch of copies for $4.99.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ironclad_Ninja said:
That's good to hear. I will probably scrounge around for Outlaw Golf as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Just a note: they don't accept the original Outlaw Golf game. It has to be the Blockbuster exclusive title (9 holes of Holiday golfing or 9 more holes of golfing, either of those two)

Wario64 said:

Blockbuster/GameRush
BLOCKBUSTER guarantees the quality of previously viewed movies and games. If there is a problem with the movie or game, bring it back with your receipt within 30 days and we etc. etc....

I see what the official stance is, but before I pre-ordered my PSP at Gamerush I asked the District Manager point-blank if I could exchange my system because of a defective screen and she said "no problem, we did it a couple of times for the DS".

I will ask again at pick-up to be sure but if they change their tune to the above hard-line I will promptly ask for a refund of my $50 and head elsewhere.

I don't think I'll have a problem, though. I'm one of their best customers.

Tortfeasor

Just found out my gamestop is not going to have a midnight PSP launch... I thought there was a press release around somewhere saying that all the stores would have one. Any ideas why one of their businest stores in Chicago would not have a midnight launch?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
shantyman said:
BuddyC, do you have a screen protector for your PSP?

I ordered screen protectors for the PSP and DS about 2 weeks ago. They came in, and I installed the DS ones without a hitch a few days ago. Now I'm just waiting for my PSP to arrive!

I ordered the Brandos, btw, and they're fantastic!

Top Bottom