• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

Yeah, I want to know how Untold Legends is as well. Part of me thinks it looks really good (That huge spider boss looks amazing) and another part of me is very wary. Random dungeons for me is a big warning sign. But I'm being cautiously optimistc. I thought it was going to be in stores by Thursday though, in time for launch.

IgeL said:
I'm waiting for Untold Legends, too... Apparently it's shipping on Friday.

Nope: Shipping today, in-store tomorrow.

Untold Legends(TM): Brotherhood of the Blade(TM) Ships to North American Retail Stores

Tuesday March 22, 8:00 am ET

- In Expectation of the PSP(TM) Handheld Entertainment System's Launch on March 24, SOE's Highly-Anticipated Action Role-Playing Game Will Be Available in Stores Tomorrow -

SAN DIEGO, March 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Online Entertainment Inc. (SOE), a worldwide leader in massively multiplayer online (MMO) gaming, today announced that Untold Legends(TM): Brotherhood of the Blade(TM) has shipped to North American retail stores. Developed and published by SOE, Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade has been built from the ground-up specifically for the PSP(TM) handheld entertainment system, and is the only cooperative multiplayer action role-playing game (RPG) available at the new system's North American launch on March 24th. Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade carries the suggested retail price of $39.99.

"Untold Legends beautifully captures the appeal of the Action RPG genre and fully utilizes the amazing features of the PSP handheld system," said Michael Lustenberger, Vice President of Marketing, Sony Online Entertainment. "With visually stunning graphics, fast hack 'n slash combat, an original storyline, and wireless gameplay, Untold Legends offers gamers a truly epic adventure right in the palm of their hands."

With fast-paced, hack 'n slash action, randomly-generated environments, hundreds of monsters and items, beautiful 3D graphics, and four-person, wireless cooperative multiplayer gameplay via the PSP handheld system's built-in wireless connectivity, Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade offers a compelling, on-the-go gameplay experience never before seen on a handheld gaming device. Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade introduces four customizable playable races; an original storyline; a huge game world of over 100 levels; 150 different creatures to battle; hundreds of thousands of items to discover; and beautiful, vibrant environments that take full advantage of the PSP handheld system's technical capabilities.

About Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade

Journey to a world beyond the realms of imagination and engage in battles to save Aven, a timeless city of safe haven and the last remaining stronghold of Good in a world of Evil. As a dark threat looms and a gathering of unknown forces grows stronger, heroes have been called and the Brotherhood of the Blade has been formed. It is up to you and your chosen brothers to unravel the mysteries of this looming peril. Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade offers on-the-go action-RPG combat, intense multiplayer battles and a completely original adventure for you to uncover.

* Action RPG: Wield your blade and cast powerful spells in this
action-packed, hack 'n slash RPG exclusively for the PSP handheld
system.

* Epic Adventure: Create a unique hero and set out into the wilds of
Unataca to battle powerful creatures, save your city of Aven from
imminent extinction and unravel the mysteries of a looming peril.

* Wireless Multiplayer Gameplay: A wireless multiplayer mode features
gameplay through the PSP handheld system's wireless feature. Connect
directly with multiple PSP handheld systems for the ultimate in
hack 'n slash action with no wires!

* Four Playable Character Classes: Select from four unique character
classes including an ancient order of valiant Knights, a foundation of
brilliant Alchemists, an order of noble Druids, and a race of feral
hunters known as the Berserkers. Each character class has unique
fighting abilities or magical spells.

* Beautiful 3D Environments: Battle through more than 100 diverse levels
that come alive with brilliant 3D graphics, stunning lighting, dynamic
visual effects and highly-detailed player characters and monsters.

* Dynamic Game Experience: Play in randomly generated environments and
fight against unique monsters for a different experience every time
you play.

* Items and Artifacts: Collect hundreds of items, usable gear and rare
magical artifacts to aid in your battles.

* Character Customization: Modify your hero for a completely customized
look and ability set.

* Hordes of Monsters: Battle over 150 types of monsters with 50 unique
models and textures.

* Challenging Boss Monster Battles: Engage in strategic combat with
humongous bosses, each with their own distinctive combat techniques.

For more information on Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, please visit: http://www.UntoldLegends.com.

seismologist said:
so if the box says "infastructure mode" does that mean it's online ? I see it on my Darkstalkers box.

What it means is it can utilize an access point to some degree. That may mean anything from posting leader boards to full online play.

But Darkstalkers only has local WiFi play so...its something else most likely.

chaplain827 said:
Hey-

Check out this great site that is giving away totally FREE Sony PSPs!

I've joined and I think you should as well.

It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff!

All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it!

Here is my referral link. To help me get my Sony PSP, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser:
http://www.fuckoffassholeandtakeyourpyramidschemeswithyou.com

banned!

chaplain827 said:
Hey-

It's a completely legitimate offer, and this company has already given away $4 million in FREE stuff!

All you have to do is join, complete an online offer, and refer friends to do the same. That's it!

Here is my referral link. To help me get my Sony PSP, click this exact link to join, or copy and paste it into a browser:
http://www.fuckoffassholeandtakeyourpyramidschemeswithyou.com

Don't bring your pyramid schemes here.

BANNED!

DSFan1970

chaplain827 said:
Hey-

OMG.

Anyhow, I want to comment on something here. There needs to be a standard label for Wi-Fi enabled play on the back of the game boxes. The ad-hoc and infrastructure labels are too broad confusing. Sometimes it means that I can play people within my 30 ft radius, sometimes I can just download content (WipeOut Pure), sometimes I can play with people around the country (Twisted Metal). I think there should be specifics as to what Wi-Fi access you have. I want to know this before I purchase a game. For instance, I would not buy Twisted Metal for PSP if it had no online play. I have played TM1 and 2 to death…8 years ago. Online makes the difference. If it said online enabled and then I got home and found out that I can just unlock new content, I would be angry.

Flying Llama said:
I thought untold legends was a wrestling game. :lol

I'm surprised SOE didn't use the everquest license for it.

They're trying to create a new IP I think. Which is a good thing.

But I'd take a World of Warcraft themed hack'n slash anyday!

Shompola

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, I want to know how Untold Legends is as well. Part of me thinks it looks really good (That huge spider boss looks amazing) and another part of me is very wary. Random dungeons for me is a big warning sign. But I'm being cautiously optimistc. I thought it was going to be in stores by Thursday though, in time for launch.

The diablo series worked fine with random generated dungeons and Untold Legends seems to have a very good random dungeon engine as far as I have read, so I am personally not worrying about that issue. Also some key locations in the game aren't random generated like the spider boss room. What worries me is that because of that the game doesnt officially support an online service, a lot of potential in terms of actual players trying to play over the internet will be lost. I think the "online" scene for this particular game will be small because of that. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you have friends and such to pay with online. But I wouldnt mind to connect to the "untolds legends server" and choose among hundreds of people to play with, doing trades in the chatrooms etc. much alike diablo series.

Didn't see it posted yet...

The US is getting the Dynasty Warriors Premium pack

190140b.jpg

Not really my cup of tea but its nice to see a usually Japan-exclusive package come over here.

Shompola said:
The diablo series worked fine with random generated dungeons and Untold Legends seems to have a very good random dungeon engine as far as I have read, so I am personally not worrying about that issue. Also some key locations in the game aren't random generated like the spider boss room. What worries me is that because of that the game doesnt officially support an online service, a lot of potential in terms of actual players trying to play over the internet will be lost. I think the "online" scene for this particular game will be small because of that. I guess it doesn't matter as long as you have friends and such to pay with online. But I wouldnt mind to connect to the "untolds legends server" and choose among hundreds of people to play with, doing trades in the chatrooms etc. much alike diablo series.

My experience with random dungeons has been that they tend to be too generic and repetitive, Diablo II included. I know the technology has improved, and I'm hoping it works well on UL. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

So are you saying that this game has online play? I thought it was just ad-hoc mode. If it has online play, my decision has already been made. It seems like the perfect choice for this type of game to be played across the Internet.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've said it before in this thread, and I'll say it again. If you are just buying the PSP for movies and music, there are far better options out there. I have an Archos AV420 that I bought online for $430 that is a much more capable video/music player then the PSP. Now I know what you're thinking, it's a lot more money then a PSP, but at $250 for the system, and $140 (at least) for a 1GB memory stick you're not far off the price. But the Archos unit comes with a 20 GB hard drive, so for the difference in price, you get 20 times the storage. The Archos also comes with a dock to connect to your TV so you can record TV shows (even set it up to automatically record shows), video tapes, DVD's, etc. It'll also connect to your computer to put downloaded clips on to it. As a music player, it's very good, displaying album art and the works. It'll also allow you to put photos on it and use it as a photo viewer. It's an excellent media player and I recommend it highly.

If on the other hand, you want to play games too, then by all means, grab a PSP. I have mine pre-ordered and I'm trying to wait patiently until Thursday. I just wanted to point out that if you want a Video/Music player, there are better options then the PSP.

Isn't just about every portable video player out there still sporting a 4:3 screen? I'll take a nice 16:9 screen that has better video quality for now. I haven't seen a device that was 16:9 and had as nice of a picture quality as the PSP for video players.

Marty Chinn said:
Isn't just about every portable video player out there still sporting a 4:3 screen? I'll take a nice 16:9 screen that has better video quality for now. I haven't seen a device that was 16:9 and had as nice of a picture quality as the PSP for video players.

I'll give you those points for sure, but for the money, and for a media player, having a 20 GB hard drive and ease of getting media on to it, it's tough to beat. The PSP is a great game machine that has decent media play back abilities. If you don't want the game machine part, but just the media player, you are still better off with something like the Archos. It's just so much more versitle in media playback and has far more storage capacity out of the box. Throw in the remote, and the ability to play it on a TV, even in wide screen format, and it just makes more sense, if all you want is a media player. No way will I argue against a PSP as a game machine first with other qualities as a bonus.

Shompola

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
My experience with random dungeons has been that they tend to be too generic and repetitive, Diablo II included. I know the technology has improved, and I'm hoping it works well on UL. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

So are you saying that this game has online play? I thought it was just ad-hoc mode. If it has online play, my decision has already been made. It seems like the perfect choice for this type of game to be played across the Internet.

Hehehe. No I was saying it would be so much better if it had online mode out of the box. I was talking about the ad-hoc mode and tunneling.

Tabris

I can easily just cycle in and out encoded movies.

So the LCD screen of the PSP is a more defining factor than the ease of not having to swap out videos (due to the 20GB).

I encoded 5 1 hour television shows for my 1GB PRO Duo card. (that's enough for me, that's like 10 skytrain rides)

evil ways

PSP is mine....well sorta.

I went to EBX during my lunch break and they had GoW on display, so I played a bit of it. Awesome, will definitely pick up after I recover from PSP week. So I was there playing GoW and at the register I see this old coot with his son or grandson, I hear them talk to the cashier guy and seems he just pre-ordered the PSP and paid it full. What caught my attention was the old guy asked when he would be able to pick it up and the cashier said "From Thursday morning on" and says the store will open at 7:00am for the PSP launch.

So I walk over ask the cashier if they were still taking pre-orders for this thursday's release and he said yes, and that they already have more than enough units to cover all pre-orders, and any new pre-orders placed this week along with in-store purchases on the 24th. I saw the manager was right there beside him doing something and decided to double check with him just to be sure, he assured me there were more than enough PSPs as they recieved another shipment yesterday. I swiped my plastic, $249.99 and now all I gotta do is wait till thursday.

oldman29on.gif

Then while still on the PSP high I walked a few stores down to CompUSA and purchased Darkstalkers for $35.99.

evil ways said:
Then while still on the PSP high I walked a few stores down to CompUSA and purchased Darkstalkers for $35.99.

Whoa! Nice price! Did they have any other PSP games at that price?

Congrats on getting the PSP!

evil ways

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Whoa! Nice price! Did they have any other PSP games at that price?

Congrats on getting the PSP!

Wipeout, Ridge Racers, and Twisted Metal were all $35.99 along with Darkstalkers. THUG2, Spiderman 2 and Dynasty Warriors were $44.99. Those were all the games they had. I would've bought Lumines as well but I was told it would be on sale this thursday.

evil ways

Yeah, there's a sale where all PSP games are 10% off. It said so both on an in-store sign and on this weeks flyer.

10% instant rebate on all Sony PSP games

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'll give you those points for sure, but for the money, and for a media player, having a 20 GB hard drive and ease of getting media on to it, it's tough to beat. The PSP is a great game machine that has decent media play back abilities. If you don't want the game machine part, but just the media player, you are still better off with something like the Archos. It's just so much more versitle in media playback and has far more storage capacity out of the box. Throw in the remote, and the ability to play it on a TV, even in wide screen format, and it just makes more sense, if all you want is a media player. No way will I argue against a PSP as a game machine first with other qualities as a bonus.

I'll give you storage, but again the screen aspect ratio, size, and visual quality are huge factors for me too. The PSP is just a league above what I've seen out there that I can't believe those players cost so much. I watch an average of 2 eps of stargate a day on my PSP and can store about 8 eps on a 1 gig stick. In reality I store about one movie, 3 to 4 eps of stargate, two cds worth of mp3s and several pics which is more than fine for day to day usage. I would love it if the PSP had a build in HDD, but a 1 gig stick can get you reasonably far right now on a PSP. You can't take your library with you like an iPod, but you can do a lot with it.

sammy

really no included USB cable? Is there anything I should know before I go grab a new one, or is it just standard USB to USB?

BuddyC

sammy said:
really no included USB cable? Is there anything I should know before I go grab a new one, or is it just standard USB to USB?
You should be looking for a USB Mini B -> Standard USB plug, USB Mini B being the USB port on the PSP. Some digital cameras come with the same type, so check to make sure you don't have one first.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I hate when people go to lengths to argue against a review of a game they haven't played but....I feel like he's bashing this game for not being a good representation of a MGS action-title. I'm looking forward to this game for being something completely different from that...and suited to the platform..which it sounds as though it is. Anyhow, I hope I still enjoy it as much as a I suspect I will. This review doesn't really attack it in a way that I feel negates my expectations.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Why does that review read like someone who has never played an Strat RPG before? It;s like if they played FFT... OMG my character just slashed him... wait... he's getting back up... wtf?

The End

I'm usually not one to bash reviews of games I haven't played, but much like his Darkstalkers review, i don't think he has much familiarity with the genre.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Man, why do VG retailers in Canada suck so much? I can't seem to find Wipeout Pure anywhere.
Patience, young Miburou.

:lol

Yeah rught, I've been cursing them for the past four days. However EB sales guy here told me they will get it later today. He seemed pretty sure about it.

Also, he said God o War will be there tomorrow, which will be a nice change of waiting 4-5 days for every game after it's in US stores...

Metal Gear Ac!d just got 6.5'd on IGN

Snaaaaaaake!
Can't say I'm surprised :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone spot Lumines or Ridge Racer yet? I think they're suppose to ship today, but it probably won't arrive in stores till tomorrow or Thursday

evil ways

CompUSA had Ridge Racer, no Lumines yet. It's weird, EB had Need For Speed and all the other sports games as well, but no Ridge Racer. It's like they're shipping the games on different places at different dates.

evil ways said:
CompUSA had Ridge Racer, no Lumines yet. It's weird, EB had Need For Speed and all the other sports games as well, but no Ridge Racer. It's like they're shipping the games on different places at different dates.

Did they have the EA games at EB already? Tiger Woods and NFL Street are on my "May Purchase" list.

Justin

I am going to wait for the Gamespot review before I start freaking out. Hopefully Greg Kasavin will review it because he likes the turn based strategy games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Uh oh, supposedly EBgames ended the trade in PSP promotion early. Apparantly they sent an email this morning saying to end the promotion. Crap, I still needed to trade 3 more games for Ridge Racer. Oh well, I got 3 PSP games for basically the price of 1 PSP game

IgeL

So anybody know any import-friendly US stores that would be shipping Untold Legends tomorrow (to Europe)? I asked NCSX and they said Friday, which sucks because I won't get it until late next week or even later. (I'm refreshing Tronix updates every two hours. :D)

evil ways

Did they have the EA games at EB already? Tiger Woods and NFL Street are on my "May Purchase" list.

Nope, just the Sony ones, NBA, Gretzky and World Soccer. The only EA game was NFSU. They had pretty much every PSP game they had in stock on the register's desk, cause the old guy that pre-ordered before me was checking them out.

No EA sport games, no Ridge Racer, no Ape Escape, no Lumines and no Metal Gear.

fugimax

If you'd like to access the Wipeout holding image, and eventually maybe content, directly from a web browser...do the following:

1. Download/Install FireFox
2. Download/Install the User Agent Switcher extension
3. Create a new user agent (Tools menu) with the name and description: "SCEJ PSP BROWSER 0102pspNavigator"
4. Switch to the new user agent from the tools menu and go to http://ingame.scea.com/wipeout/

You can also get up to the parent directory, though there is nothing there.

I'll be working on using a proxy to see if I can get my PSP to actually display other webpages, as it appears it supports a fair amount of HTML (you can check the index.html it reads from ingame.scea.com/wipeout/).

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Wario64 said:
Uh oh, supposedly EBgames ended the trade in PSP promotion early. Apparantly they sent an email this morning saying to end the promotion. Crap, I still needed to trade 3 more games for Ridge Racer. Oh well, I got 3 PSP games for basically the price of 1 PSP game

Didn't they advertise it lasting until April 10th though? You might be able to hold them to it...

Either way, I always find it humorous when one of these chains comes up with a deal where they think they're going to screw over all the deal hunters with some absurd exclusion list only to find themselves being the ones who get screwed.

Top Bottom