• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

ManaByte

Gold Member
Local Gamestop has a big PSP display up now showing the boxes of most of the launch titles and they have a couple third-party cases in.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, local game-dedicated stores putting up stuff for PSP now too. I wonder if they will have kiosks soon...

acklame

ok, i think i'm gonna get...wipeout pure, ridge racer and metal gear acid.....for now.

my list keeps on changing weekly.

neptunes

They'll probably have demo kiosks closer to launch (or even on launch day just like the ps2)

But I wonder if they'll really have any, seeing as how they're having shortages and all.

I remember going to EB to pick up vagrant story during the ps2's launch, and everyone was amazed at the demo kiosk they had running madden 2001 on an LCD screen.

Go back and play madden 2001 and you'll realize it ain't that impressive anymore. :lol

Scoobert

EBgames is now taking preorders for a 2nd shipment. When that is, I have no idea. But EBgames will be doing a bundle. Right now it's up to the managers if they want to tell the rest of their employees. Hopefully every manager knows about it. Either way, EBgames is doing a bundle but the details of it are still being decided.

It could be everything from a certain dollar amount, to having to buy atleast one accessory and game(s). Hopefully will know something real soon.

The End

If it's a dollar amount thing, it wouldn't take much to get me to buy three games intead of two. If i have to pick up some shitty 3rd party accessory, i'm going to pissed. Maybe i can get away with a $10 USB cable or something.

Bobety

I'm not sure if it was posted and i missed it, but how much are games going to cost?

Also does anyone have any idea as to whether or not it will be possible to play a US game multiplayer with a PAL game? I really want to know so i can figure out if i should import all my games from the US or wait for some good multiplayer games to come out here and buy them then instead (I'm an impatient man).

Amir0x

Banned
Bobety said:
I'm not sure if it was posted and i missed it, but how much are games going to cost?

It's in the FAQ:

UMD Games

How much will they cost?
The price range established for UMD videogames are currently $39.99 and $49.99, respectively. Fortunately for us, most of the games seem to currently retail at $39.99. Like consoles, it would not be surprising to see games retail at $19.99 or $29.99 (ala Katamari Damacy) down the line after it is established what type of games consumers flock towards on PSP (or a Greatest Hits type line evolves). Not surprisingly, EA games seem to be the bulk of the games really sticking to the $49.99 price line. Whether or not we'll see the PS2-esque trend of first party games costing $39.99 and third party games costing $49.99 is as yet undetermined, although it is also a strong possibility.

Bobety said:
Also does anyone have any idea as to whether or not it will be possible to play a US game multiplayer with a PAL game? I really want to know so i can figure out if i should import all my games from the US or wait for some good multiplayer games to come out here and buy them then instead (I'm an impatient man).

As the FAQ game states, games are not cross-region compatible. This may have changed in light of new information, but that's the line we currently have. You'll be able to play your US game on your PAL system or your Japanese game on your US system, however (according to all established accounts).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
About cross-regional games, you mean multiplayer?

So say I have a Japanese PSP, and my friend has a UK one. I can't play multiplayer Ridge Racers (JPN) against his RR(UK).

Would I be able to play RR(UK) on my JPN PSP against RR(UK) on his UK PSP though?

i.e. is it the games that are different breaking the multiplayer, or the machines?

Jonnyram

This region thing is stupid.
It's a handheld and people are going to want to take it on planes, on holidays, and see/play things they get overseas. That's natural.

So, games being region free is cool, but it's totally backwards to then put regioning on movies and especially music. I understand why, because corporations want to rip people off depending on location, but MUSIC for fuck's sake... I can just rip it off CD and put it on memory stick. What is the point in regionalising music?

Bobety

mrklaw said:
About cross-regional games, you mean multiplayer?

So say I have a Japanese PSP, and my friend has a UK one. I can't play multiplayer Ridge Racers (JPN) against his RR(UK).

Would I be able to play RR(UK) on my JPN PSP against RR(UK) on his UK PSP though?

i.e. is it the games that are different breaking the multiplayer, or the machines?

Yeah it's the games, you should be able to play with someone who has a different region PSP as long as the games are the same region.

I'm hoping that some PAL games will be playable with US games, that's not really too far-fetched because the languages are the same, they don't really have to change anything from the US version at all.

Slayven

My local Gamestop said they were already getting some of the 3rd party accessories in. the assist manager was a little too excited about the psp

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Scoobert said:
EBgames is now taking preorders for a 2nd shipment. When that is, I have no idea. But EBgames will be doing a bundle. Right now it's up to the managers if they want to tell the rest of their employees. Hopefully every manager knows about it. Either way, EBgames is doing a bundle but the details of it are still being decided.

It could be everything from a certain dollar amount, to having to buy atleast one accessory and game(s). Hopefully will know something real soon.

They will be losing a sale from me if this really is the case, and the manager lied to me straight up if he in fact knows about it. We'll see.

Why with only 3 weeks to launch would they force this on people? It's complete bullshit.

Slayven

shantyman said:
They will be losing a sale from me if this really is the case, and the manager lied to me straight up if he in fact knows about it. We'll see.

Why with only 3 weeks to launch would they force this on people? It's complete bullshit.
I would put vega money that they won't. i asked coulpe times iwll it just be the value packa dn the amanger said yeah. plus they pull that bait and switch stunt shit would go done

xsarien

daedsiluap
shantyman said:

Because in the quest for making as much money as possible, EB has forgotten about reasonable customer service.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm waiting for somebody to give a final confirmation of US games working on a Japanese PSP, then I'll order a huge load of games from DVDBO. Now that RR has gone gold, shouldn't be long anymore.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ok finally decided that if I pick this up at launch I'm looking at getting 2 of the following:

Metal Gear Acid
Wipeout Pure
NFSU Rivals
Ridge Racers

Man I wish Tokyo Xtreme was a launch title....

DarienA said:
Ok finally decided that if I pick this up at launch I'm looking at getting 2 of the following:

Metal Gear Acid
Wipeout Pure
NFSU Rivals
Ridge Racers

Man I wish Tokyo Xtreme was a launch title....
haha. racing fan, are you?

I want MVP #1, but its not launch so I'll probably go with Lumines but I'm waiting for hands-on and reviews. Thank god Gamefly is renting PSP games. There are only a handful of games I want to buy, but I definately want to try everything.

Miburou

Can someone with a JP PSP tell me how long it takes for their machine to shut down? I mean how many seconds is it from the moment you hold down the off button until the green light turns off? It seems like it's taking longer nowadays than when I first got my PSP, but I might just be paranoid.

Miburou said:
Can someone with a JP PSP tell me how long it takes for their machine to shut down? I mean how many seconds is it from the moment you hold down the off button until the green light turns off? It seems like it's taking longer nowadays than when I first got my PSP, but I might just be paranoid.

It takes about 3 secs for me.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Chittagong said:
I'm waiting for somebody to give a final confirmation of US games working on a Japanese PSP, then I'll order a huge load of games from DVDBO. Now that RR has gone gold, shouldn't be long anymore.
Nix @ IGN mentioned that he was playing the US build of Lumines that Ubisoft sent on a JP PSP. Not a complete confirmation, but getting there.

kaching said:
Nix @ IGN mentioned that he was playing the US build of Lumines that Ubisoft sent on a JP PSP. Not a complete confirmation, but getting there.

That's good enough for me at the time being...puts my mind a little at ease.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I refused to preorder before launch details were set in stone, and after they were Gamestop closed preorders.

So, it looks like it's out in front of Best Buy all night for another Sony launch for me again! My buddy works at Sears, and he'll be working that day, so if they're getting them in, he'll hold one for me. Otherwise, I'll be seeing what my best bet is between Best Buy, Target, TRU, and Wal-Mart. Hopefully one of them does some sort of midnight thing so I don't have to miss class... Not that I really care all that much.

I'm for sure getting Ridge Racers and Lumines at launch. And either Wipeout Pure or Metal Gear Ac!d. I'll pick up the one I don't get and possibly another game and a memory stick the next week when I get my bonus from work. Hooray.

john tv

Miburou said:
Usually takes me six or seven seconds. Kind of annoying, which is why I basically stopped powering down. I just use the sleep mode all the time now.

Miburou

Thanks for the input, guys.

I just checked, and it actually takes 3 seconds with no game in the PSP, but with a UMD in, it takes 7-8 seconds even if I'm not playing (i.e. at the menu).

I never tried using sleep mode unless I was resuming the game in 10 minutes or so. I'll try that when there's a game in.

neptunes

Yeah, supposedly a Rhino VG store will have an official demo kiosk next week, but for 3 days only.(next weekend)

March 11th-13th
Rhino Video Games
Boulder Plaza
1933 28th Street
Boulder, Colorado 80301
Phone: (303) 440-8329

Jonnyram

john tv said:
Usually takes me six or seven seconds. Kind of annoying, which is why I basically stopped powering down. I just use the sleep mode all the time now.
Doesn't the battery run out quickly if you do that? I vaguely remember reading that the battery lasts for 3 days in sleep mode.

neptunes

*Logic 3 PSP Keyboard:
http://www.gameseek.co.uk/productdetail/PSPfhyaqce6he5x223r/
logic3_keyboard_psp.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Holy crap. Doubles as a screen protector, it says.

But let me get it out of the way and say "Touch screen!!"

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
So I've got a few reserved to ensure I get one launch day.

I'm new to this SD card thing - is it possible to transfer files on to the card via pc and then on to your PSP? Is there some USB device that reads/writes to the memory stick?

Amir0x

Banned
TheOMan said:
So I've got a few reserved to ensure I get one launch day.

I'm new to this SD card thing - is it possible to transfer files on to the card via pc and then on to your PSP? Is there some USB device that reads/writes to the memory stick?

:\

Ok, Memory Stick Pro Duo is not an SD card, just to be clear. SD cards will not work with PSP.

So anyway, you put your Memory Stick Pro Duo in your PSP. The PSP can connect to your PC using a mini-USB wire. Then yes, it'll act as another drive on your computer and you simply drag and drop files into the appropriate folders (in this case, MUSIC/GAMES/ETC). You can format your Memory Stick via the PSP, which will create the proper folders.

BuddyC

PSP has a USB Mini B port that's used to interface with other USB devices, in this case, to transfer files from a PC or PS2.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Amir0x said:
:\

Ok, Memory Stick Pro Duo is not an SD card, just to be clear. SD cards will not work with PSP.

So anyway, you put your Memory Stick Pro Duo in your PSP. The PSP can connect to your PC using a mini-USB wire. Then yes, it'll act as another drive on your computer and you simply drag and drop files into the appropriate folders (in this case, MUSIC/GAMES/ETC). You can format your Memory Stick via the PSP, which will create the proper folders.

Yeah I knew that, I'm just lazy and didn't want to type out Memory Stick Pro blahblahblah.

You know, how you call all tissue paper "Kleenex"? Well, that's my story anyway ;)

I was under the impression that MSPDs were also manufactured by SanDisk (checks ZipZoomFly) The picture implies that they are (hence my obviously improper reference to SD cards above). I really hope that it stays 67 dollars for 1GB when they finally become available.

Thanks for the heads up on how transferring of files works though.

Anybody know if Sony plans to release a UMD writer (or is one already available, did a quick google search and it didn't turn up anything worthwhile) ? You know for burning movies you might already own as a cheap alternative to the memory stick - I know I won't be purchasing movies on UMD that I already have on DVD.

Meh, nevermind, just got my answer (I think) from the forum search and it looks like it is no for now.

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Doesn't the battery run out quickly if you do that? I vaguely remember reading that the battery lasts for 3 days in sleep mode.

Think of it like how you maintain a cellphone. You put it to sleepmode anytime you're not playing. But at night when you're home just charge the damn thing so you have a full charge in the morning if you plan on using it. :D

Amir0x

Banned
TheOMan said:
Yeah I knew that, I'm just lazy and didn't want to type out Memory Stick Pro blahblahblah.

You know, how you call all tissue paper "Kleenex"? Well, that's my story anyway ;)

I was under the impression that MSPDs were also manufactured by SanDisk (checks ZipZoomFly) The picture implies that they are (hence my obviously improper reference to SD cards above). I really hope that it stays 67 dollars for 1GB when they finally become available.

I was just making sure because believe it or not there has been a few times when someone thought the PSP accepted SD cards. And in which that'd be a disaster come launch day :p

Heh, but yeah SanDisk is the mother manufacturer of Memory Stick Pro Duos. In fact, they're the only way to go since the Sony sticks are ridiculously expensive. :)

Does everyone think that there will be shortages at launch? If Sony does indeed ship 1 million units for launch, I don't see how there will be a shortage. That's a lot of units, and my guess is even if you don't have a pre-order, you should have no problems finding one at Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. The PSP really isn't on the mainstream radar imho, and while the hardcore will be out to get it on Day One, I just don't see it being that hard to pick up.

Mrbob

I wouldn't say they set them all yet.

Metal Gear Ac!d is $39.99 at Gamestop but $49.99 at EBgames. Untold Legends is $39.99 at Gamestop and $49.99 at EBgames.

Anyone else slightly interested in Mercury? I love Marble Madness and the game looks like it is in this vein.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mrbob said:
Anyone else slightly interested in Mercury? I love Marble Madness and the game looks like it is in this vein.
Can't wait for Mercury, that along with Wipeout and Lumines are the games I'm definitely getting. Hopefully they'll release that tilt sensor at some point (and at a decent price). :(

Sorry Ridge Racers but Wipeout just owned you.

It even says awesome on the cover. ;)
psp-launch-box-20050207052939311.jpg

Mrbob

Any chance of Mercury going down on price? $40 is pushing it with a puzzle game. $50 is no go zone. Mercury could be the coolest launch game but it is a simple puzzle game so charging $50 for it is too high.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Mrbob said:
Any chance of Mercury going down on price? $40 is pushing it with a puzzle game. $50 is no go zone. Mercury could be the coolest launch game but it is a simple puzzle game so charging $50 for it is too high.
Hopefully the game will sell well! But let's be realistic. :( Maybe a few months down the line we'll see discounted PSP software.

Holding out a ridiculous hope that even though they aren't advertising any form of a tilt-sensor (as I sadly predicted), they've managed to sneak that in for release. It would atleast make the $50 price easier to swallow. Oh well, one can dream...

I agree MrBob, it is way too much. Hopefully this game will be fantastic because if it isn't I can't afford to spend $90+ on two puzzle games and Lumines has been guaranteed to be stellar.

Top Bottom