• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

eLGee

Miburou said:
I totally agree. PSP games at $50 is total bullshit. I'm okay with $40, eventhough I think $35 is the right price. Handheld games shouldn't be the same price as console games. And what's funny is that in Japan PSP games are much lower than PS2 games, so it's only in NA where some 3rd parties are ripping consumers off. Hopefully it's just a temporary thing.

There's something wrong when a PSP game is cheaper in Japan.

Be lucky you're not living here in Sweden. Here a new console game for, let's say NDS costs as much as $60. And by the look of it, when PSP hits shelves here, the games will also be about $60-$65 a pop. I've also seen X-box games go for about $100 each. $35 for a game? Check the 'used'-section, or the "Old Games"-section. At least here in Sweden. :(

Hero

Since this thread is too huge for me to search for the information I need, I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

When I connect my PSP to my PC with the cable, my OS goes 'found new hardware' and prompts a driver search. I'm running Windows 98. Is PSP compatible with this? Or do I need to download something? I figured the PSP would just come up as another media or some kind of device that I could just access but I can't figure it out.

Edit:

Nevermind, read one of the FAQ's on GameFAQs. Need Win 2K or above.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
teepo said:
wipeout fusion looks better then pure guys... sorry. it also has a 16x9 mode which makes it look even better. pure does have much better track designs, art style and a much much much cleaner look though.

Yeah, I agree. Fusion is a bit too...dull looking from a color perspective and Pure is pushing more effects (all the bloom lighting and such), but the complex track design is beautiful in Fusion. Fusion's tracks are very geometrically complex (more so than games like Quantum Redshift and F-Zero GX even) and well designed. It is damaged by the poor image quality, though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
wipeout fusion looks better then pure guys... sorry. it also has a 16x9 mode which makes it look even better. pure does have much better track designs, art style and a much much much cleaner look though.
Again, for the record, I wasn't arguing which one looks better, just the "not even close" comment.

Superbone

borghe said:
As to paying full price for a similar experience, all of the levels and longevity in a title do not a similar experience make. On a home console I am getting more detailed graphics, playing on a 55" HDTV and a Denon AVR-3805 receiver. I am using a wireless controller and sitting a good 7'+ back from the screen and am enveloped by sound. Not only that but I usually have FMV cutscenes, Dolby Digital audio, VoIP for communicating in game, etc. Not even close to the same experience.

Sure, it is not the same experience, but you're not mentioning the positives of the PSP game. The ability to play it anywhere...

Spike

Miburou said:
MGA might be $40 every in the US, but here in Canada most places are selling it for $60 CDN, which is bullshit.

Wal-Mart is selling MGA for $48.83, Lumines for $47.83, and the rest for $49.83.

Seth C

Definitely buy a screen protector, folks. I didn't, and already I have a horrible scratch, despite taking VERY good care of the thing and always storing it in the carrying case. I don't know how it happened. One moment it wasn't there, the next it was. It's so bad that it distracts me even during gameplay, even though it is a hairline scratch and barely visible when the system is off. Very frustrating.

JPRaup

Banned
Anyone thinking about buying some UMDs if the price is 10-13, I thought I would never buy any but after I saw Spidey 2 and the amazing quality I might have to go get some when the come out

Mrbob

JPRaup said:
Anyone thinking about buying some UMDs if the price is 10-13, I thought I would never buy any but after I saw Spidey 2 and the amazing quality I might have to go get some when the come out

Yes but with no extras I'll only pay 7-10 for them. If they include all the extras of the DVD version I'll pay 15.

btrboyev

I suggest they better start putting a scene selection option on those movies....very annoying there isn't one for spider-man 2.

JPRaup said:

Kinda wish I had a US PSP now, I love the MP4 playback...but it'd be nice to watch full lenght movies at DVD quality on this thing :(

Is there any chance of Sony releasing a firmware update to make JP systems region 1?

JPRaup said:

And for at least one PSP customer, bundling Spiderman2 with the system instead of a game has paid off for Sony. It's easy to see why they did it when many folks react this way.

JPRaup

Banned
btrboyev said:
I suggest they better start putting a scene selection option on those movies....very annoying there isn't one for spider-man 2.

yea it sucks when I wanna show it off to my friends and go to the train part but it takes like 10 mins to, it sucks, they should at least have a go to... button like they do with vid files on the mem stick

JPRaup

Banned
Dr. Zoidberg said:
And for at least one PSP customer, bundling Spiderman2 with the system instead of a game has paid off for Sony. It's easy to see why they did it when many folks react this way.

I got fuck owned by the system

Shompola

Banned
Seth C said:
Definitely buy a screen protector, folks. I didn't, and already I have a horrible scratch, despite taking VERY good care of the thing and always storing it in the carrying case. I don't know how it happened. One moment it wasn't there, the next it was. It's so bad that it distracts me even during gameplay, even though it is a hairline scratch and barely visible when the system is off. Very frustrating.

Mine has two scratches that go in the same way. Hardly noticeable and they were there when I opened the PSP carton box. You may have had yours aswell all the time just you noticed them now. I have cleaned outer parts of the screen with the cloth that came with it and didn't really scratch it. That bag that came with it might scratch it though.

That bag does scratch. That dead pixel I talked about with my PSP is some very small dent. Never even touched the area where it was at. The only way it could have been dented (wasn't there at the beginning, I would have noticed) was with the carrying case. I'm hoping my protector gets here by Friday.

The Experiment said:
That bag does scratch. That dead pixel I talked about with my PSP is some very small dent. Never even touched the area where it was at. The only way it could have been dented (wasn't there at the beginning, I would have noticed) was with the carrying case. I'm hoping my protector gets here by Friday.

I have 2 small dents like that but they were there right out of the box. But now with a screen protector it's hardly noticible at all.

DarienA said:
I just went to the menu of my TIVO and what do I see? A commercial and feature on the PSP in the main menu....

The featurette shows alot of Armored Core... did that come out in Japan yet? I may have to pick up the US version....

Hey did anyone else besides me noticed that the feature on the PSP was enhanced for widescreen TVs?

Seth C

Shompola said:
Mine has two scratches that go in the same way. Hardly noticeable and they were there when I opened the PSP carton box. You may have had yours aswell all the time just you noticed them now. I have cleaned outer parts of the screen with the cloth that came with it and didn't really scratch it. That bag that came with it might scratch it though.

They weren't there before. The scratch is very, very obvious, even when in the middle of a race in Wipeout. It's almost exactly vertical and causes some weird color rainbowing.

Seth C

EnGarde said:
I have 2 small dents like that but they were there right out of the box. But now with a screen protector it's hardly noticible at all.

I have the same two dents. They have been there since I bought the unit.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Seth C said:
They weren't there before. The scratch is very, very obvious, even when in the middle of a race in Wipeout. It's almost exactly vertical and causes some weird color rainbowing.
I know what you're talking about. I have two tiny dots on my screen (pretty sure they were both there when at purchase) that I thought were faulty pixels at first. They're not really noticable in-game, but on the menu screen I can see them if I move the screen a bit. They look like they're reflecting the light.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I got wipeout pure yesterday (Thanks Aoi-san!) First impressions were bad. dull graphics, very slow, dodgy controls. Then I got into it some more and I love it. Some of the tracks are great. I thought the 2nd track on Beta was an instant favourite, with the hairpin etc. Then I played the last track on beta - the bit just after the start where you are going up, then bank left just as the 'wings' on the track come through the clouds, and the sun bursts over the edge of the track - just beautifully designed and choreographed.

BTW, do you go faster on a straight if you push your nose down? It seems to accelerate faster and go to a higher top speed, but it might just be where I try it. I don't want it to have some cheesy control that you can use to cheat or even need to use to win, and I don't want to have to keep pushing up all the time.

Shompola

Banned
Wipeout Pure IMO has the best graphics on the PSP and switching between RR and WP was no problem. I didn't notice the game running at 30fps... but then again I almost never notice such things unless the framerate is stuttering wich is very annoying.

Alex

Okay... What the hell is going on with Ridge Racer? EVERY store in town is out of it. Not at Walmart, not at Target, not at EBGames, not at Gamestop... I never knew Ridge Racer was was that popular.

JPRaup

Banned
Alex said:
Okay... What the hell is going on with Ridge Racer? EVERY store in town is out of it. Not at Walmart, not at Target, not at EBGames, not at Gamestop... I never knew Ridge Racer was was that popular.

Its just there was not enough made for the US release

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So far I haven't been able to top 30, but that was enough to get me gold on each track
Getting gold on first three zone tracks unlocks the fourth one right?

Ah, that's where the scratchy bag myth originates! :p

I can say with utmost certainty that many PSPs have those dents on the plastic that covers the screen, out of the box. I've noticed them on several PSPs so far, and some of them I've personally pulled out of the box and checked.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Marconelly said:
I can say with utmost certainty that many PSPs have those dents on the plastic that covers the screen, out of the box. I've noticed them on several PSPs so far, and some of them I've personally pulled out of the box and checked.

Does a screen protector even things out?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Marconelly said:
I've got no idea. I'm not using a screen protector. They usually ruin the screen quality just enough so that I hate them.

Hehe, I plan on putting mine on before I even turn on the system for the first time, so I won't have that regret ;)

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I'm starting to think the whole "YOU MUST BUY A SCREEN PROTECTOR" thing is the work of a very anal subset of people. These things are meant to be used, not kept in an airtight case. Mine fell off my coffee table face down onto the carpet and it was ok. If the screen were as susceptible to scratches as people would have you believe, certainly that would have done something.

Angst

Old?

fig01.jpg

fig02.jpg

fig03.jpg

fig04.jpg

fig05.jpg

fig06.jpg

Informit's break-up

Top Bottom