• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

I have 2 small dents like that but they were there right out of the box. But now with a screen protector it's hardly noticible at all.

Thats good. I don't even see it during gameplay but any imperfections on the PSP is driving me nuts, considering the price and the fact that I just bought it. Although I'm worried my screen protector might suck ass. I didn't run a search for protectors here to see the wheat from the chaff. I'm hoping I got a clear one and not anti-glare.

I can say with utmost certainty that many PSPs have those dents on the plastic that covers the screen, out of the box

Mine did not. I gave it a very thorough inspection to find any dead pixels or broken screens. Not a problem. Then sometime Sunday (2nd day of owning), when I pull it out, I notice its dented. It was fine when putting it in the case.

These things are meant to be used, not kept in an airtight case

Yeah but having a fucked screen when spending $250 on a piece of electronics is not good. Having the ability to prevent that beforehand is definitely not good. I'm a poor college student who pretty much broke the bank with the PSP. I'd like to have the ability to have it last for several years. Not have it scratched to hell and forced to get another one just to see the games 18-24 months later. If a $5-15 investment can prevent that from happening, then it should be done.

What should I use to clean my PSP's screen? Is it ok to use alcohol? Soap?

I just use that cloth. Works great for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Mine did not. I gave it a very thorough inspection to find any dead pixels or broken screens. Not a problem. Then sometime Sunday (2nd day of owning), when I pull it out, I notice its dented. It was fine when putting it in the case.
It really depends on the angle you look at the screen and the light casted on it. Trust me, if those dents are what I think they are, they've been there since the day 1.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Unison said:
Why hasn't Sony announced any sales figures yet? Obviously they could have at this point.... What are they hiding?

That the PSP is doomed... duh.

jenov4

To those who were saying dead pixels can't be formed if you don't have them initially are lies. I noticed 4 of them on the lower right corner while playing Luminies.

And I'm 100% sure they weren't there when I got this unit last week.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jenov, there's dead pixels and then there's stuck pixels. Dead pixels don't light up at all. Stuck pixels light up still, but are stuck on one color. The latter can form after manufacturing while the former generally should not.

jenov4

kaching said:
Jenov, there's dead pixels and then there's stuck pixels. Dead pixels don't light up at all. Stuck pixels light up still, but are stuck on one color. The latter can form after manufacturing while the former generally should not.

Ok my bad, I have some stuck blue pixels which are annoying the hell out of me. Thanks for clearing things up. I hope EB lets me return this thing.

shantyman said:
I'm starting to think the whole "YOU MUST BUY A SCREEN PROTECTOR" thing is the work of a very anal subset of people. These things are meant to be used, not kept in an airtight case.

I totally agree that they are meant to be used but with a good screen protector there's little to no difference in viewing quality so why not use one?

I picked up one of the martin fields screen protectors and to be totally honest the only reason i even know it's there is i accidentally bent it so there's 2 small air bubbles by the bend lol. The finish on the screen protector is identical to the finish on the PSP so it's seamless.

The exim protector seems to be the popular choice but, here's a vote for the MF protector. Honestly you can't describe how good these things look till you've slapped one on heh.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ok I got my Exim protector... dumb question... the side that is covered by the plastic that is going to be peeled off... that side goes face down on the PSP right?

aoi tsuki

DarienA said:
Ok I got my Exim protector... dumb question... the side that is covered by the plastic that is going to be peeled off... that side goes face down on the PSP right?
Yup. If it didn't come with one, use a credit card to apply light but even pressure while applying the protector. Also use the card or your finger to gently work any air bubbles out.

funnellpd

Since it seems junior members can't make new threads, I'll stick this here.

From TUAW:
How to Play Your PSP over the Internet via Your Mac

This is the coolest. Official Xlink Kai Forums has a tutorial online complete with screenshots showing you how to set up your Mac to act as an Adhoc network for your PSP, so that you can play PSP games capable of multiplayer over the internet using Xlink Kai’s free online gaming service. All you need is a free account with Xlink Kai, a copy of Amaryllis from Nullriver (the makers of PSPware), and a copy of Kaid OS X Menu from Xlink.

In order to make everything work, you have to have your Mac connected to the internet via your Ethernet connection, then create a computer to computer network between you Mac and your PSP, then launch Kaid and launch Amaryllis, connect to the game room where you want to play, and then launch the multiplayer option of the game you want to play on your PSP and either host or search for games.

I gave this a shot last night and raced several times in Wipeout Pure with an online opponent. It was good, but there was some lag, so my opponent would intermittently disappear or only appear as a non-moving ghost. I also attempted to play Untold Legends, but every game I connected to dropped shortly after connecting. I have no idea of knowing if this was just a temporary problem, or if the service is still in its Alpha stages, but it’s encouraging at least to know that people are figuring out ways to tunnel these games over the internet and that they’re including the Mac in this process.

evil ways

Well I just got a package from Sony, inside was the Spider-Man 2 movie and wrist strap that my Value Pack did not include plus for no reason whatsoever I also got an extra Sampler Disc and an extra cleaning cloth.

Shompola

Banned
Black_Mamba said:
What should I use to clean my PSP's screen? Is it ok to use alcohol? Soap?

The micro fiber cloth that came with it is excellent. I have cleaned off fingerprints and other dirt from it with the cloth with big success. And don't worry about scratching the screen with the cloth.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
michael000 said:
I totally agree that they are meant to be used but with a good screen protector there's no little to no difference in viewing quality so why not use one?

I'm just arguing with those that say you must buy one. I was under the impression that is I looked at it the wrong way I would damage it, but that is not the case. I certainly have no problem with someone who wants one.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
shantyman said:
I'm just arguing with those that say you must buy one. I was under the impression that is I looked at it the wrong way I would damage it, but that is not the case. I certainly have no problem with someone who wants one.
Agreed - I'd argue the same as you.

Nester

Didn't see this posted in the past two pages. The announcements section of Twisted Metal: Head On says this:

"Welcome to Twisted Metal: Head-On! During the next few days there will be Twisted Metal: Head-On server maintenance to improve network performance. Please check this announcements area for maintenace dates and times and other pertinent information. Thank you for your patience. Stay Twisted!"

Hopefully this resolves most of the problems!

Seth C

shantyman said:

I thought the same for the first few days. Then, with no changes on my part, scratches started showing up.

sammy

SpeedRazor said:
Didn't see this posted in the past two pages. The announcements section of Twisted Metal: Head On says this:

Hopefully this resolves most of the problems!

WHA! OH REALLY COOL!

It really depends on the angle you look at the screen and the light casted on it. Trust me, if those dents are what I think they are, they've been there since the day 1.

You may be right. Its not that big of a deal because you can't even see it once the power is on.

Why hasn't Sony announced any sales figures yet? Obviously they could have at this point.... What are they hiding?

Why would they? Sony counts shipped as sold so they'll boast one million. That is clearly not the case. We're going to have to wait for NPD numbers.

Espio

Well, I got myself a PSP today.

Lumines is addicitve as hell, but I dont think much of Wipeout at all. The PSP's speakers are a disapointment, headphones are essentual for Lumines.

I spent all morning trying to re-encode the Episode 3 trailer to put on my PSP, pain in the arse. I just gave up.

Over all, I give the PSP 4 thumbs up.

iyox

Espio said:
Well, I got myself a PSP today.

Lumines is addicitve as hell, but I dont think much of Wipeout at all. The PSP's speakers are a disapointment, headphones are essentual for Lumines.

I spent all morning trying to re-encode the Episode 3 trailer to put on my PSP, pain in the arse. I just gave up.

Over all, I give the PSP 4 thumbs up.

Gotta agree with you on the speakers, I really feel like the DS's are better

Sho Nuff

Banned
Ack shit! I have to take my PSP back for servicing -- the left d-pad button gets stuck. This kind of thing happening during racing games makes me VERY ANGRY.

EGM92

Hey guys,

I need help cleaning my screen, I use the cloth that Sony gave with the package but it's now leaving smuggs is there anything I can use to clean it? I know rubbing alcohol isn't good to put on screen

I know this has been answered but I don't want to go through 40+ pages of posted

Thanks,

EGM92

Everyone give Twisted Metal Online play another shot....IGN PSP boards were saying that its stabilized and I can confirm as I just played through 3 games w/o error or being dropped.

report back/

Mrbob

krypt0nian said:
Everyone give Twisted Metal Online play another shot....IGN PSP boards were saying that its stabilized and I can confirm as I just played through 3 games w/o error or being dropped.

report back/

Not surprised. I figured in a week or two network issues would be fixed. Now I may have to get this game.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
krypt0nian said:

report back/

Please do keep us updated. I plan on picking it up as soon as the kinks are worked out.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
EGM92 said:
Hey guys,

I need help cleaning my screen, I use the cloth that Sony gave with the package but it's now leaving smuggs is there anything I can use to clean it? I know rubbing alcohol isn't good to put on screen

I know this has been answered but I don't want to go through 40+ pages of posted

Thanks,

EGM92
Is your microfiber cloth dirty or something? DO NOT use alcohol or any kind of cleaning solution on your PSP screen. Try the cloth again, using it gently. If that doesn't work, I guess you can try using some very mild scotch tape. You'll want to "dab"/tap the tape on screen, don't try to rub.

Should you get your screen clean, I'd suggest investing in a screen protector. EB sells one made by Hori for $5 USD. It's very clear, cheap, and easy to apply. It makes cleaning your PSP screen so much less of a hassle.

DarienA said:
Woo Hoo just got my 512mb card!

Since I'm too lazy to order online and I couldn't find a 1GB card if I tried, I picked up my 512MB from Best Buy today. It's on sale for $69.99 with a $10 rebate = $59.99

shpankey

not an idiot
Angst said:
Old?

fig01.jpg

fig02.jpg

fig03.jpg

fig04.jpg

fig05.jpg

fig06.jpg

Informit's break-up

BLASPHEMY!

EGM92

Laguna X said:
Is your microfiber cloth dirty or something? DO NOT use alcohol or any kind of cleaning solution on your PSP screen. Try the cloth again, using it gently. If that doesn't work, I guess you can try using some very mild scotch tape. You'll want to "dab"/tap the tape on screen, don't try to rub.

Should you get your screen clean, I'd suggest investing in a screen protector. EB sells one made by Hori for $5 USD. It's very clear, cheap, and easy to apply. It makes cleaning your PSP screen so much less of a hassle.

My cloth was a bit dirty, but I just a static lint brush to get all the dust off of it. Anything else I can make it clean? my friend washed his and it stiffened up and causes little scratches that you can only see when the PSP is on an angle.

You won't believe how much my local EB is selling Hori screens... $19.99CAD then there's some metal armor from another company and they are selling those for 29.99$ which is insane!

sonycowboy said:
Since I'm too lazy to order online and I couldn't find a 1GB card if I tried, I picked up my 512MB from Best Buy today. It's on sale for $69.99 with a $10 rebate = $59.99

Was gonna get one from there as well but every BB within 20 miles of me is out of stock. Fry's was out too heh. This is the Sony MSX-M512S.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
EGM92 said:
My cloth was a bit dirty, but I just a static lint brush to get all the dust off of it. Anything else I can make it clean? my friend washed his and it stiffened up and causes little scratches that you can only see when the PSP is on an angle.

You won't believe how much my local EB is selling Hori screens... $19.99CAD then there's some metal armor from another company and they are selling those for 29.99$ which is insane!
That's a fucking ridiculous price for those Hori screen protectors. That's like 3 times what it goes for in the ol' US of A. Perhaps a trip over the border is in order ;)

Anyhow, I have no prior experience in cleaning a microfiber cloth. Hopefully, somebody else reading this thread can help you out there.

Okie..Everyone read along with me..

The only screen protector *WORTH* getting.... EXiM. Be carefull and order from the site below, there are alot of pirate versions running around.

http://pda-now.com/p900835.php

It will be the last one you will ever get. A absolute breeze to put on. I am going to try and take some shots of the screen with the protector on and off. It's almost like it's not there.

Remember the saying - You get what you pay for.

EGM92

GamerzXtreme said:

The only screen protector *WORTH* getting.... EXiM. Be carefull and order from the site below, there are alot of pirate versions running around.

It will be the last one you will ever get. A absolute breeze to put on. I am going to try and take some shots of the screen with the protector on and off. It's almost like it's not there.

I want to order one of those but I can't afford it right now... I was on Ebay, are any of those low priced ones real?

Thx,

EGM92

Shompola

Banned
GamerzXtreme said:

did the film protector cover the entire back side of the screen protector? when you removed the remove sticker on the back of it did it remove the entire film protector sticker? I am asking because I am pretty positive that I got a pirated one, its awful,

mrroboto

Banned
well after ebaying my nintendo ds and turning around a purchasing a psp, it was worth it.

the psp is pure gaming bliss. this *is* the handheld video game system to get. imho, after owning the ds and now the psp, i feel the ds is nothing but gimmick gaming. however, before you try to label me a troll, trust me, i'm not. i love nintendo, always will. it's just that the psp is *that* much better then the ds.

there's almost an erotic vibe going with the psp. it's a turn on just looking at it and holding it in your hands. sleek and sexy, the system is an engineering masterpiece. the screen is pure brilliance, i'd never go back to any handheld gaming screen smaller than the psp's.

the video playback is flawless and the clarity is as good as, perhaps better than dvd quality. video runs smooth, no chopping or skipping. colors are vibrant, the actual picture quality is crisp and clear.

the only minor complaint i have is the seeming weak speakers on the psp. i have the volume on max and it's still hard to hear audio. of course, the headphones work great but i don't always want to use those. maybe there are further audio settings i haven't hit yet but on initial impressions, the audio is somewhat of a let down.

in terms of gaming, i haven't experienced it yet as a got the value pack and will have to wait unti this friday(good old payday) to get my first psp game.

i'm leaning towards 1 of the following 3-wipeout, twisted metal or ridge racer. ridge racer will probably be my first pick up. seems like a really good "killer app" to show off the psp's amazing visuals.

so sony, i'm a believer. i really only used to be a "1 system" type gamer and usually stuck by nintendo through thick and thin. however, the allure of the psp just grabbed me and never let go. it's worth every single clam of the $250 i let go!

I saw those on Ebay. Ill pass on them. I know the ones I ordered are the real deal. Again use the link above. I guess I should also clarify something as well. There are 2 different types to choose from.

1. Sony PSP EXiM Protector - Ultra Protect (SPUP) - $13.99
2. Sony PSP EXiM Protector - Ultra Clear (SPUC) - $14.99

If you are *ULTRA* paranoid about scratches on your screen, then you want #1. You will take a slight hit on brightness. (Scratch Proof)

If you want to be protected (Scratch Resistant) but still maintain just about a 1:1 image you will want #2.

Read the reviews on the site. Granted they are for PDA's, cell phones, etc. You will get the idea - these are about the best you can get. I have them on all 3 Ipaq's I own, the only word that comes to my mind to describe the condition of my screens - Perfection.

Shompola: I am sorry I don't remember. My mind is a bit numb right now, I am in FL with family - grandparent is in hospice right now. I will check as soon as I get home (Sunday).

I will say this, thank god for Lumines.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
mrroboto said:
well after ebaying my nintendo ds and turning around a purchasing a psp, it was worth it.

the psp is pure gaming bliss. this *is* the handheld video game system to get. imho, after owning the ds and now the psp, i feel the ds is nothing but gimmick gaming. however, before you try to label me a troll, trust me, i'm not. i love nintendo, always will. it's just that the psp is *that* much better then the ds.

there's almost an erotic vibe going with the psp. it's a turn on just looking at it and holding it in your hands. sleek and sexy, the system is an engineering masterpiece. the screen is pure brilliance, i'd never go back to any handheld gaming screen smaller than the psp's.

the video playback is flawless and the clarity is as good as, perhaps better than dvd quality. video runs smooth, no chopping or skipping. colors are vibrant, the actual picture quality is crisp and clear.

the only minor complaint i have is the seeming weak speakers on the psp. i have the volume on max and it's still hard to hear audio. of course, the headphones work great but i don't always want to use those. maybe there are further audio settings i haven't hit yet but on initial impressions, the audio is somewhat of a let down.

in terms of gaming, i haven't experienced it yet as a got the value pack and will have to wait unti this friday(good old payday) to get my first psp game.

i'm leaning towards 1 of the following 3-wipeout, twisted metal or ridge racer. ridge racer will probably be my first pick up. seems like a really good "killer app" to show off the psp's amazing visuals.

so sony, i'm a believer. i really only used to be a "1 system" type gamer and usually stuck by nintendo through thick and thin. however, the allure of the psp just grabbed me and never let go. it's worth every single clam of the $250 i let go!
To turn up the volume, go into video settings --> UMD video volume --> set to +2

Congrats, on your purchase.

mrroboto

Banned
Laguna X said:
To turn up the volume, go into video settings --> UMD video volume --> set to +2

Congrats, on your purchase.

thanks laguna!

i'll do that now. i've been reading through the owner's manual and just didn't get to that part yet. :)

when i opened up the box and saw the owner's manual i was like "holy shit!" :lol

Top Bottom