• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The US PSP Launch

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sonycowboy said:
Since I'm too lazy to order online and I couldn't find a 1GB card if I tried, I picked up my 512MB from Best Buy today. It's on sale for $69.99 with a $10 rebate = $59.99
That's about as good a price as you'll find online, once the rebate is factored in.

Spike

mrroboto said:
well after ebaying my nintendo ds and turning around a purchasing a psp, it was worth it.

the psp is pure gaming bliss. this *is* the handheld video game system to get. imho, after owning the ds and now the psp, i feel the ds is nothing but gimmick gaming. however, before you try to label me a troll, trust me, i'm not. i love nintendo, always will. it's just that the psp is *that* much better then the ds.

[snip]

in terms of gaming, i haven't experienced it yet as a got the value pack and will have to wait unti this friday(good old payday) to get my first psp game.

:lol :lol :lol

Anyways, enjoy your purchase and definitely go for Ridge Racer and Lumines first. The two best titles so far.

mrroboto

Banned
Spike said:
:lol :lol :lol

Anyways, enjoy your purchase and definitely go for Ridge Racer and Lumines first. The two best titles so far.

:lol

i realized what i said while previewing it but said 'what the hell, i'm happy as hell with it!".

i'll have to check the local walmart, they've had tons of games for the psp in stock. hopefully ridgeracer is there. :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
jenov4 said:
Ok my bad, I have some stuck blue pixels which are annoying the hell out of me. Thanks for clearing things up. I hope EB lets me return this thing.

Crazy as this may seem, and if you can't/don't want to return your machine, you could try a marker pen.

It was recommended to me on a projector forum. You put a little spot of marker pen over the stuck pixel, of the opposite colour that it is showing (so it absorbs the colour).

Amir0x

Banned
mrklaw said:
Crazy as this may seem, and if you can't/don't want to return your machine, you could try a marker pen.

It was recommended to me on a projector forum. You put a little spot of marker pen over the stuck pixel, of the opposite colour that it is showing (so it absorbs the colour).

My God, I would never put a market near the PSP screen!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GamerzXtreme said:
I saw those on Ebay. Ill pass on them. I know the ones I ordered are the real deal. Again use the link above. I guess I should also clarify something as well. There are 2 different types to choose from.

1. Sony PSP EXiM Protector - Ultra Protect (SPUP) - $13.99
2. Sony PSP EXiM Protector - Ultra Clear (SPUC) - $14.99

If you are *ULTRA* paranoid about scratches on your screen, then you want #1. You will take a slight hit on brightness. (Scratch Proof)

If you want to be protected (Scratch Resistant) but still maintain just about a 1:1 image you will want #2.

Read the reviews on the site. Granted they are for PDA's, cell phones, etc. You will get the idea - these are about the best you can get. I have them on all 3 Ipaq's I own, the only word that comes to my mind to describe the condition of my screens - Perfection.

Shompola: I am sorry I don't remember. My mind is a bit numb right now, I am in FL with family - grandparent is in hospice right now. I will check as soon as I get home (Sunday).

I will say this, thank god for Lumines.

Can someone explain screen protectors to me? I don't see the point of putting something over the screen that will still get dirty/scratched, making the overall effect the same.

Or is it like having mats in your car? You still get dirt on them and wear them out with your heel, but then you replace it now and then and you are as good as new? So you sacrifice the screen protector and when it gets too shitty you rip it off and start again?

aoi tsuki

mrklaw said:
Can someone explain screen protectors to me? I don't see the point of putting something over the screen that will still get dirty/scratched, making the overall effect the same.

Or is it like having mats in your car? You still get dirt on them and wear them out with your heel, but then you replace it now and then and you are as good as new? So you sacrifice the screen protector and when it gets too shitty you rip it off and start again?
The second one. Most of the screen protectors listed here (EXiM, Martin Shields, Brando) can be reused and are a step or two above most of the ones you get in store.

And there's no way i'm getting another game for my PSP until i get over Lumines and Wipeout Pure. i still suck at Lumines, but slowly i'm getting better, but Wipeout... i spent at least an hour going through single race mode to get gold medals, starting on the the painfully-slow vector class, going up to flash class. Things actually get fun/frustrating in flash class, as the computer gets brutal and poor Team Auricom can't handle the damage. At the end of each set of courses, you race in this course called Carbonic, which is styled colored green with a nice Tron-like glow to background elements. The course looked eerily familiar, and it wasn't until i quit single race mode until i was racing on Wipeout's (the first one) Karbonis course! i only wish it had the original textures, update for Pure. i'm glad i have Friday off, though i hate to think of myself playing PSP all day. :)

mrklaw said:

That's my thinking anyways. Everyone always says to wipe the screen gently to get it clean and minimize scratches, with an SP you can press away and really get it clean. Not sure about other protectors but i can breathe, press down hard etc on my Martin Fields SP and it's no problem whatsoever. While my PSP is still a fingerprint magnet, it's not anything worth mentioning since it's an easily remedied problem.

Personally I'm far more comfortable with nicks and scratches on my screen protector than on the actual screen. Sure they both show up but i think it's more the piece of mind knowing that i can always go out and easily order another SP protector as opposed to going and having to use my replacement plan for something that easily could have been prevented.

We really need to figure out a way to tell the bootleg Exim screen protectors from the real ones. I, like many others, ordered from Ebay because that's what was linked to in this thread. If they're all bootleg, then we need to make sure.

Should we not apply the bootleg protectors? Will they harm the PSP?

Shawn

Banned
psp is advertised as having the ability to download jpeg files off the internet and view them on the psp screen.

well, guess what. it doesn't work. and it's pissing me off.

my psp is connected to a pc via a usb cable.

psp is set to 'usb mode.'

pc recognizes psp as 'removable drive.'

'psp' appears as a folder on the pc.

'photo' appears as a folder within 'psp' folder.

now...

i find jpeg image on internet.

i either copy and paste OR drag and drop jpeg image into 'photo' folder. when placed into the 'photo' folder on the pc, the image is CLEARLY recognized as a jpeg file.

so...

why isn't the jpeg showing up on the psp???

can someone please help me out?

Shawn said:
psp is advertised as having the ability to download jpeg files off the internet and view them on the psp screen.

well, guess what. it doesn't work. and it's pissing me off.

my psp is connected to a pc via a usb cable.

psp is set to 'usb mode.'

pc recognizes psp as 'removable drive.'

'psp' appears as a folder on the pc.

'photo' appears as a folder within 'psp' folder.

now...

i find jpeg image on internet.

i either copy and paste OR drag and drop jpeg image into 'photo' folder. when placed into the 'photo' folder on the pc, the image is CLEARLY recognized as a jpeg file.

so...

why isn't the jpeg showing up on the psp???

can someone please help me out?

I haven't tried it myself, but doesn't the file have to follow some sort of odd Sony naming convention to work properly? I know a few others have mentioned this with the video files.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No. JPEG picture can have any name, and it most definitely works.

Shawn, make sure your PSP/Photo folder is actually on the PSP's memory stick, not somewhere on your PC hard drive.

Shawn

Banned
I haven't tried it myself, but doesn't the file have to follow some sort of odd Sony naming convention to work properly?

oh god, i have no idea. that's the first i've heard of that.

can anyone else chime in please?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Shawn said:
?

marc, i'm not sure if i understand. i'm confused. could you explain?

When you use my computer to open the PSP(and it's memory card) what folders do you see?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Marconelly said:
No. JPEG picture can have any name, and it most definitely works.

Shawn, make sure your PSP/Photo folder is actually on the PSP's memory stick, not somewhere on your PC hard drive.

Hey Marko. What happened to your PSP?

(delate some PM. Quota exeeded)

Shawn

Banned
When you use my computer to open the PSP(and it's memory card) what folders do you see?

let me think...

i click on a drop down menu. i go to E: drive (this is where the computer recognizes the psp)

i recall seeing folders such as:

MUSIC

SAVEDATA

PHOTOS

MOVIES (i think)

and some other folder, i think.

(damn, i wish i brought my usb cable to work today so i could connect my psp to my work pc to tell you exactly what i see.)

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
When you put the pix in the PSP/PHOTO folder take a look at the PSP screen. Do you see an horizontal line going back and forth? That means there is a transfer going on.

EDIT: ok, I think I got it. The file extention must be JPG, not JPEG. Just tried: JPG = OK, JPEG = Nono

Shawn said:
oh god, i have no idea. that's the first i've heard of that.

can anyone else chime in please?

I've given my jpegs all sorts of names and it works fine. What are the file extensions on the files? I've only used *.JPG. I don't know if *.jpeg works or not.

Shawn

Banned
When you put the pix in the PSP/PHOTO folder take a look at the PSP screen. Do you see an horizontal line going back and forth?

i've seen that line before. but the only time i've seen it was while i downloaded a video clip to the psp.

when i put the pix in the PHOTO folder, i do notice the memory stick light -- on the far left of the psp hardware -- blink briefly.

but like i said, the jpeg doesn't show up on the psp screen.

the file extensions of the images i place in the PHOTO folder are .jpg

Mrbob

Twisted Metal owners go play online! From what I'm reading it sounds like the server dropping problems have been fixed! Want to see if you get the same experience.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dr. Zoidberg said:
We really need to figure out a way to tell the bootleg Exim screen protectors from the real ones. I, like many others, ordered from Ebay because that's what was linked to in this thread. If they're all bootleg, then we need to make sure.

Should we not apply the bootleg protectors? Will they harm the PSP?

Hmm..I have an Exim on the way from Ebay, and you've got me worried. Does anyone know for sure if their exim protector is genuine? Can you take a photo of the packaging, or something? Last thing I need is to be hesitant about putting the screen protector on :(

Unison

Damn, I just got Tiger Woods PSP & the load times really kill any enjoyment that I could get from it. It literally loads & switches to a gray screen between every shot / animation that you do! The thrust of the TW franchise has always been to let you play a round in 1/2 hour, but I don't see how that's possible here. What a mess.

The DS version has fewer options, but it flows so much better than this...

EA, you truly are clueless. :lol

Shawn

Banned
grrr...

i swear, there's a higher power that doesn't want me viewing "saucy" images of jasmine st claire on my psp.

:(

Mrbob said:
Twisted Metal owners go play online! From what I'm reading it sounds like the server dropping problems have been fixed! Want to see if you get the same experience.

Definitely fixed for me since last night when I posted here. Good to see others are on too.

When are the GAF matches>?

New to me Pursuit Force pix:

vortal_pic_140376.jpg

vortal_pic_140368.jpg

Forsete

Wario64 said:
Today is the last day we'll have the green background system menu. Tomorrow, it turns to pink :(

Haha, thats right.. Now I cant show my PSP to anyone for a month. ;)
I cant wait for PS2 blue, looks so nice.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't think it's a straight out pink. It's more like a a color of cherry blossom petals or something like that, which makes sense for spring time :)

cherry%20blossom.jpg

Temple%20with%20cherry%20blossom.jpg

Miburou

The PSP's sleep mode is amazing. I was playing some MGA last night, wanted to go to bed so I just flicked the power button. I wake up today, turn the system on, and in 0 seconds I'm at the menu, ready to go. I wonder how much battery power it takes though to have a system in sleep mode for 12 hours straight?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Miburou said:
The PSP's sleep mode is amazing. I was playing some MGA last night, wanted to go to bed so I just flicked the power button. I wake up today, turn the system on, and in 0 seconds I'm at the menu, ready to go. I wonder how much battery power it takes though to have a system in sleep mode for 12 hours straight?

IGN tested sleep mode for 24 hours and it didn't impact the battery at all

Shawn

Banned
IGN tested sleep mode for 24 hours and it didn't impact the battery at all

wait a second...

is the purpose and function of the psp sleep mode supposed to act like the purpose and function of the ps2 stand-by mode?

in other words, am i not supposed to "shut off" the psp? -- just like i never "shut off" my ps2?

i hope so, because i don't like having to hold the psp power switch in the up position for several seconds to shut it off every time i'm done using it.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Shawn said:
wait a second...

is the purpose and function of the psp sleep mode supposed to act like the purpose and function of the ps2 stand-by mode?

in other words, am i not supposed to "shut off" the psp? -- just like i never "shut off" my ps2?

i hope so, because i don't like having to hold the psp power switch in the up position for several seconds to shut it off every time i'm done using it.

Put your PSP to sleep unless you plan on not using it for a few days. Sleep mode kicks all kinda ass.

Superbone

Miburou said:

Yeah, I agree. On a related note, I was playing Lumines last night and my battery ran out in the middle of the session. Bummer, I thought. I charged up my PSP for a couple hours and when I removed it from the charger and flicked it on, to my amazement I was right back in the middle of the game from before the battery ran out!

akascream

Banned
Superbone said:
Yeah, I agree. On a related note, I was playing Lumines last night and my battery ran out in the middle of the session. Bummer, I thought. I charged up my PSP for a couple hours and when I removed it from the charger and flicked it on, to my amazement I was right back in the middle of the game from before the battery ran out!

Haha, that is the coolest thing ever. You actually ran out of battery WHILE PLAYING and it still saved your spot?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
akascream said:
Haha, that is the coolest thing ever. You actually ran out of battery WHILE PLAYING and it still saved your spot?
I don't think it fully runs out of battery, of course, just goes below a threshold where you shouldn't use it anymore without charging. Else it wouldn't have been able to save his place.

akascream

Banned
kaching said:
I don't think it fully runs out of battery, of course, just goes below a threshold where you shouldn't use it anymore without charging. Else it wouldn't have been able to save his place.

Thats a good point, I guess the MS would be too slow to dump memory to, and its possible to not have one in the psp.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You actually ran out of battery WHILE PLAYING and it still saved your spot?
Yeah. Even better, you don't even have to wait for the battery to recharge to continue playing. When that happens, you can just plug it in when you have a chance, and as soon as you do that, you can power it on and continue playing while the battery is charging.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Is there any game that sleep mode doesn't work with? I seem to recall seeing a disclaimer in the manual that not all software works with sleep mode. So far, the 4 games I have (Twisted Metal, Wipeout Pure, Untold Legends and Lumines)all support it flawlessly, from what I can tell.

Top Bottom