• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter |OT| A first person murder mystery (PC)

I like the idea of buying directly from the dev and still getting a Steam key, and $20 is right in that range of "will blind buy and hope for the best".

Yes i know and i totally disagree with their opinion. I hate when a character do some some basic actions without animation, like open a door and this door is locked and no animation occur in this timeframe (silent hill series like example?). Ruin the immersion, for me.

Seconded. I noticed that the first time I watched a gameplay video. Pushed the game from "must play" to "eh, later".

Yeah I can't agree with that "no hands" argument either. I know I'm playing as a character, therefore I don't find it discordant when the character doesn't look like me. What ruins immersion is when this character is a floating camera interacting with things using magic. Unless that's what this character actually is, that creates some dissonance. Especially if the guy's visible in cutscenes.

Anyway, didn't know this was out so soon. Looking forward to it.

I absolutely can't wait for this. Its the perfect time of year to explore the autumn wilderness. I feel like if this game reaches some of my expectations it will definitely be my GOTY, just because in my head, its closer to my dream type of game. Actually, it reminds me, it looks kind of what I wanted Alan Wake to be based on the initial reveal oh so many eons before it was actually released.

Swamped

Banned
This looks like a really fun game. I love murder mysteries, in fact my dream as a kid was to become a detective. Looking forward to this game!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
And subbed. Seems like a cool (but probably incredibly hard and confusing) game :)

Watching TotalBiscuit play this was infuriating lol. Hard to watch others play adventure or puzzle games.

Preordered and everything, gonna gave to marathon this cause in a couple of days is that EGX gaming convention (27th). Have pretty high expectations.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Watching TotalBiscuit play this was infuriating lol. Hard to watch others play adventure or puzzle games.

Preordered and everything, gonna gave to marathon this cause in a couple of days is that EGX gaming convention (27th). Have pretty high expectations.

Yeah, I don't think I could ever stand to watch a slow-paced game like this streamed or let's played.

calder

Was going to wait for PS4, but it's released on my birthday... that's gotta be a sign right?

Hope my PC doesn't struggle too much with it, it's so gorgeous.

derExperte

That being said can anyone tell me if the game is, how can I put it, fully 3d or "on rail" ? I don't know, with this level of graphic quality and looking at the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the player movements are 'limited'. Then again maybe not, and then again, as long as the story and mood is good...

You can freely run around in the environment, it's an open world with almost no limits from the start.

Thinking of breaking my no pre-order rule for this game. Can't resist that soundtrack.

lol at Stumpo avatar
image.php

squidyj

This probably isnt super important but watching that gameplay video..... it would be nice if when you switch lod's the leaves on the trees stay the same color.

dex3108

I expect that reviews will be between 75 and 80. I have feeling that main complain will be short game and not too much space to explore.

UrbanRats

I wanna wait and see how actual thought you have to put into the investigations, before buying this.
I'll wait for some impressions, it looks impressive, but that gameplay demonstration looked also very guided.

Zaph

Inspired by early 20th century horror fiction the developers themselves describe The Vanishing of Ethan Carter as ”a first person mystery game focused on exploration and discovery.” Playing as a private detective you head to the beautiful and derelict location of Red Creek Valley where some brutal murders have occurred, tasked with finding a missing boy and unraveling a trail of mysteries from the past.

Ever read a description and wonder if someone's been in your head and made a game just for you?

Please, please don't be shit.

dex3108

I wanna wait and see how actual thought you have to put into the investigations, before buying this.
I'll wait for some impressions, it looks impressive, but that gameplay demonstration looked also very guided.

I like technology they used, i like how game looks and feels and i want to support them even if that means game is short and average :D I know what i expect from game and i am willing to pay for that based on what i saw from gameplay videos :D

Weetrick

Now we wait :D

D1OSyiU.jpg

I'll be reading this thread at work on Thursday looking for everyone's thoughts, so please share! I'm really curious how this turns out. I don't know if the big sites will have reviews, since I didn't even know about this game until recently.

Yeah, I pre purchased this over the weekend after watching some of that dev walk through. It was already on my radar, but when I got to the point where I was like, "I need to stop watching this before it spoils any more puzzle solutions" right around when he found the crank I knew it was a purchase.

I love the look and feel of the game, and that finding items mechanic is a serious winner.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Looking at TB stream and the game really does need to explain itself to the players. I can see many, many people having no idea what the fuck to do.

AU Tiger

Subbed and very eager to see how this one is. I got more games than I need right now but I really want this one to be good simply because I need a good reason to buy it to see them visuals.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This is cheaper than I expected and pre-ordering nets some cool stuff, hmm...

Top Bottom