• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter |OT| A first person murder mystery (PC)

This might not be a horror game, but in the starting area every trap has made me jump lol

iXyq6lic3J25d.gif

haha got me too

MattyG

Banned
Let's just make an explicit rule to either spoiler tag everything or just NOT TALK ABOUT SPOILERS for a day or two. Some of us haven't even finished downloading the fucking thing yet. If something surprises you don't post it, because others would like to be surprised as well.

MattyG

Banned
Welp, download should be done in a couple minutes. I was on total blackout until that little spoiler just now, but hopefully that's early game. Can't wait to start it though.

Corpekata

Banned
Sunk about an hour in, really digging it. Only complaint is some of the voice acting is a little stiff. Main character is great (is it Clancy Brown? Sounds like Clancy Brown) but the rest are pretty wooden so far. Love that there's optional mysteries to solve.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh my god this is good.

I have a question though about an hour in, possible bug:

When I got to the elevator next to the dam, I was looking down and fell super far but didn't die. I landed in the elevator carriage, and was able to press a button and ride it back up. Am I supposed to be able to do that? It seems very strange

Jedi2016

So is the game any g...

Fuck it, installing now.

Weird about the stuttering, though.. I wonder if that's what they were working on at the last minute? They never did say if they fixed what they were after, did they? Probably had to get it released regardless.

While I am sure you can blaze through this game, I am going extremely slow and loving every minute. My PC is 2500K / 560ti and all the default settings are on High, and it looks and runs perfectly. I'm sure if I cranked some filters it would slow down, but I'm not gonna bother.

If people are gonna be posting spoiler gifs though, I'm done with this thread. Even that above gif would've ruined the opening minutes which I loved.

dekline

So beyond the visuals it's pretty good? Decided not to play tonight since I have to get up pretty early tomorrow, but I have it installed and ready to go for the weekend.

Fractal

Banned
I'll wait a few months before I play this, but I hope there'll be some nice stuff in the screenshot thread when I wake up.

Also, there are times when you are missing an object, for instance, right at the beginning, the crank. If you let Paul use his powers you can turn your head until he obtains a vision of the crank in a faraway location to help you find it....however if you want to make it harder on yourself just back away and know there's a crank out there somewhere. I'm going to be doing this until I've at least explored areas once through.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to have to bail out on the thread. Please people, spoiler tag stuff and maybe consider linking the pictures, so that those of us who want the surprise of exploring don't see everything. :)

AsfaeksBR

Does anyone have this problem too?

This image from the mountain in the menu is froze on the game camera. Like, it follows me everywhere I go. It's kind of annoying now, because I was investigating the
murder of the first guy you find in the train tracks
and this mountain is there in the middle of the screen...

Played about an hour and a half of it, the game is pretty good. Voice acting kills it at times though and ruins some sections that could be great.

Story is really intriguing though, getting H.P. Lovecraft vibes from it and it's doing a decent job pulling me along trying to find out what's going on.

Gameplay wise it's barebones but some of the puzzles are fun to do and they're not constant either so you don't get tired of them super fast.

Overall I'm enjoying it :)

how's the game perform?

I have a 780Ti and i7-4770k so I'm sort of brute forcing through a lot of stuff I'd say but I still get mad stuttering if I try to sprint through the game. If I walk everywhere it's less noticeable though. Same sort of Unreal loading stutter other games have had in the past.

Otherwise the game is a solid constant 60fps and that's everything on the highest and 8xMSAA. Vsync on too so I don't know how much over 60 I'd be getting without it

Put an hour in so far and I'm loving it. Sorry for shitting up the thread with my impatience earlier.

Kudos to The Astronauts for staying at work past midnight in Poland to make the sure the game made its release date in the U.S.

When I checked 30 mins ago, it had fallen to 13 on Top Sellers, but it's back up to 10.

WOW. 90 minutes in I have just seen one of the most insane things, I would've never expected from this game, which I imagine is easy to miss. I have made NO progress. I'll just say "Abtruse Tales".

If there's more of these, GOTY.

Blizzard

Banned
Since this is an exploration and environment-based game and some of us are still only halfway through downloading it, I think it would be fair to link screenshots instead of embedding them for a couple of days? :S Just an idea.

GavinUK86

Damn
that fucking house with the blue portals for doors. Took me about an hour to figure that shit out to then go in the house across the street and realise the layout is the same. Was I supposed to check that house out first so I have the layout in my head?

I don't know, I'm finding the layout of everything way too open for it's own good. It feels like if I go in one direction I could be missing a ton of stuff across the other side of the map or in some little area without even knowing it.

Makes me wish they had some sort of map that's blank until you've discovered that area so you know where you've been or haven't been yet.

Top Bottom