• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

Christopher

Here's hoping that it's as good as it was when it first released on blu ray in 2008. They pretty much got it perfect that time.

I think they will as from what I'm reading it's literally a reissue of the disc(s). I'm more interested in the Digital Copy service, as I think the Disney Movies Anywhere/iTunes integration is wonderful. I am a huge fan of Sleeping Beauty as well, and she's one of the few who I need to complete my Disney Digital Collection. I need Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmations, Bambi, Pinnochio, Fantasia, Aladdin and Snow White - it'll be a slow burn until they all come out but so worth to have your entire collection on your phone.

Also with some finagling I was able to get all THREE fast passes for the Halloween Party. Pirates of the Carribean, Haunted Mansion, and Big Thunder Rail Road. I know I've been ranting about the Halloween Party, but you can not imagine how excited I am. I've always wanted to go, and I never had the time nor money to do it...now I have both! WIth the help of Jailer and some websites I've made literally an action plan lol.

We're going to do the three fast pass rides. Then at 5:30-6:!5 hang out for Jack and Sally. Then we'll make our way to Jafar, Mickey, Minnie and Donald. See the Fireworks show and the boo to you parade and then get in line with the witch. I think thats completely doable. Jailer agree haha?

Also I got the Visa Disney Card that gives you a 200 dollar gift card back, so that pays for the Christmas Party. I also redeemed all my DMR points for Disney Gift Cards too.

Also in October look out for:

• Maleficent
  • Million Dollar Arm

xeris

Also is anyone here a member of D23? Worth it?

I was a member for the first year. I dropped it because none of the events were near me. The magazine was a lot of fun, but I couldn't justify the cost for just that. That may have changed in the years since and I'd say it's definitely worth a look if you can make the events.

We're going to do the three fast pass rides. Then at 5:30-6:!5 hang out for Jack and Sally. Then we'll make our way to Jafar, Mickey, Minnie and Donald. See the Fireworks show and the boo to you parade and then get in line with the witch. I think thats completely doable. Jailer agree haha?

Sounds good to me. I think at some point you get a hard ticket to use for the fastpasses I'm guessing? I always just had a magic band or annual pass for fastpasses so they just gave me a party wristband when I gave them a printed confirmation of the party tickets. One piece of advice about FP+: You can enter the fast pass line 5 mins before your scheduled time and up to 15 mins late. This grace period existed during my last two visits so I'm pretty sure they don't intend to get rid of it.

Christopher

Sounds good to me. I think at some point you get a hard ticket to use for the fastpasses I'm guessing? I always just had a magic band or annual pass for fastpasses so they just gave me a party wristband when I gave them a printed confirmation of the party tickets. One piece of advice about FP+: You can enter the fast pass line 5 mins before your scheduled time and up to 15 mins late. This grace period existed during my last two visits so I'm pretty sure they don't intend to get rid of it.

Excellent I didn't know about tht 15 minute grace peroid - again thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I'll keep you guys updated when I go :) - and yes they told me you pick up the tickets before you go into the park.

adj_noun

Just back from Disney World.

Random Thoughts:

Moms with strollers and folks riding those electric scooter things will absolutely murder you if you let them.

Frozen is this generation's Lion King. It. Is. Everywhere. Little girls were wearing Elsa dresses. Adult women (and at least one dude) were wearing Elsa dresses at the Halloween party. Elsa Elsa Elsa.

If the Mad Max movie wants to film a post apocalyptic crowd scene for free, they need to check out the moms taking their kids to Toy Story Midway Mania.

I don't care how old you are, quality interactions with face characters are priceless. Tiana and Gaston were absolutely great. <3

TEJ

My youngest nephew is starting to talk and have conscious thoughts.

Next year I totally plan on watching all my disney blu rays with him :D

Nelo Ice

Banned
Just back from Disney World.

Random Thoughts:

Moms with strollers and folks riding those electric scooter things will absolutely murder you if you let them.

Frozen is this generation's Lion King. It. Is. Everywhere. Little girls were wearing Elsa dresses. Adult women (and at least one dude) were wearing Elsa dresses at the Halloween party. Elsa Elsa Elsa.

If the Mad Max movie wants to film a post apocalyptic crowd scene for free, they need to check out the moms taking their kids to Toy Story Midway Mania.

I don't care how old you are, quality interactions with face characters are priceless. Tiana and Gaston were absolutely great. <3

So true. Every time I work I see people with Frozen merchandise. Anything Frozen prints money.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well just went to the Hoop Dee Doo Revue for the first time. Totally worth every penny. Food was delicious and it's a buffet so all you can eat and drink including alcohol!. Don't want to spoil anything but for anyone coming down to WDW it's def worth your time and money.

Christopher

I was listening to DIS unplugged for their top restaurants I'm surprised the coral reef wasnt mentioned. I love the ambiance of it and sitting right next to the tank I'll never forget that experience
Shame I'm allergic to seafood lol

Jme

In WDW News...

Two days before the permanent closure of Studio Backlot Tour, and on the day after the filing of a permit for construction on the currently unused Sound Stage 1 (located next to Toy Story Mania), Hollywood Studios had some pretty high profile visitors:

R31UmKz.jpg

Link to story
Appearing in the photos are WDI Chief Creative Executive Bruce Vaughn, Chairman Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs, Disney's Hollywood Studios VP Dan Cockerell, WDI's Kathy Mangum, Walt Disney World President George Kalogridis, and perhaps most interestingly, John Lasseter - Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering.

Malyse

Thus thread is depressingly short. What Disney thing are you most hyped for right now?

why isn't this thread called Disney GAF?

Christopher

Hollywood Studios is literally the worst of the four Disney parks there is no coherent theme throughout the park and it just feels tacky

In WDW News...

Two days before the permanent closure of Studio Backlot Tour, and on the day after the filing of a permit for construction on the currently unused Sound Stage 1 (located next to Toy Story Mania), Hollywood Studios had some pretty high profile visitors:

R31UmKz.jpg

Link to story
Appearing in the photos are WDI Chief Creative Executive Bruce Vaughn, Chairman Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Tom Staggs, Disney's Hollywood Studios VP Dan Cockerell, WDI's Kathy Mangum, Walt Disney World President George Kalogridis, and perhaps most interestingly, John Lasseter - Principal Creative Advisor, Walt Disney Imagineering.

Oh man, that bums me out. Also the Maelstrom is being closed in Norway! I'm glad I got two ride those two one last time a few month ago. :(

xeris

Hollywood Studios is literally the worst of the four Disney parks there is no coherent theme throughout the park and it just feels tacky

There was sorta a theme when it opened. After they stopped filming there though it kinda lost its reason for being. Since then it's been the "crap we can't fit anywhere else" park. That said, I actually do love Star Tours and The Great Movie Ride (I've done both cowboy and gangster side, sometimes in the same trip). You can tell they stopped caring about the theme when they put up that damn hat and pin trading station that obscures Grumman's Chinese Theater.

Jme

Well, they clearly care now. You don't send in that many high profile people for nothing. Strong rumors are currently a 3rd track added to Toy Story to reduce guest wait time, the addition of Cars Land (a la California Adventure) in place of Backlot Tour, and a full section dedicated to Star Wars (in addition to the existing ride) - most likely replacing Lights Motor Action.
Also, indication that the sorcerer's hat is being relocated.

witness

Was at WDW with the wife on Tuesday, and a friend, and it was my first time there in 4 years (live locally). We went to Epcot for the food and wine festival, and it was really good. My favorite wine was the Lime wine, I don't remember what country it was from though. Really terrific. I was a big fan of the food for Germany, China, and the Belgium waffles were terrific. We also went on a few rides; tower of terror (4x), star tours (2x), test track, and soarin. By far our favorite was ToT, it was just so much fun every time. Such a great and classic ride, it's so thrilling when you get lifted out of the seat. The longest line we were on took about 20 minutes, test track and soarin, everything else was less than a 10 minute wait. Fuck the summer crowds! Unfortunately is started to rain really bad so we couldn't stay for dinner to try out more countries. We will be going back, hopefully before the festival ends (we have free passes to all the parks) and hit up animal kingdom and the magic kingdom.

Christopher

Well, they clearly care now. You don't send in that many high profile people for nothing. Strong rumors are currently a 3rd track added to Toy Story to reduce guest wait time, the addition of Cars Land (a la California Adventure) in place of Backlot Tour, and a full section dedicated to Star Wars (in addition to the existing ride) - most likely replacing Lights Motor Action.
Also, indication that the sorcerer's hat is being relocated.

Not going to happen.

I think this is relative to the topic:
I've worked literally steps away from Pixar's headquarters in Emeryville everyday. My work's parking lot is filled with Pixar employee cars. It' neat, but also a little sad each day to walk past the Pixar complex. I just want to get inside soo badddd.

So I ordered a bunch of attraction poster prints on my DLR trip during 9/8-9/12 and they finally arrived this week. I decided to get the smallest and cheapest prints I could to see how they turned out. I heard that Disney had changed their supplier because their previous one was of low quality. I don't know how true that is but these prints are very nice and high quality. Eventually, I'd like to buy some bigger prints on canvas.

I also picked up this wooden sign to go up with the posters when I get around to framing them.

So I ordered a bunch of attraction poster prints on my DLR trip during 9/8-9/12 and they finally arrived this week. I decided to get the smallest and cheapest prints I could to see how they turned out. I heard that Disney had changed their supplier because their previous one was of low quality. I don't know how true that is but these prints are very nice and high quality. Eventually, I'd like to buy some bigger prints on canvas.

I also picked up this wooden sign to go up with the posters when I get around to framing them.

So frwakin good. I would like to deconrate my house like this in the future. Already have a huge disneyland map framed.

Christopher

Again Sleeping Beauty is coming out my Disney Movie Club order shipped so it should be here shortly. I love that feeling when a new release comes out it feels special. Million Dollar Arm also comes out this month as well.

I also used my Disney Movie Rewards Points to buy Disney gift cards so I can get treats. Where do you guys like to eat at Magic Kingdom I'm thinking Halloween snacks :).

I'm on the fence abor meeting Jack too now since apparently all the other characters I want to meet will take 10 minutes each tops.

Auctopus

Only just found this thread. Lifetime Disney fan - currently hyped for 'Big Hero 6' and 'The One And Only Ivan'.

Does anyone know where I can find a full list of what movies were included in the 'Villains' series?

I could maybe see Disney doing it for a certain market... It would need to be an established Disney IP otherwise it needs to look distinctly Disney. This Tokyo Disneyland commercial looks pretty rad, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clFq7xwxV-Q

Oh man, this ad in HD at last!

I love it although its funny that the girl seems to have a fast growing up disease. Tokyo Disneyland opened in 1983, if this girl visited the park at that date when she was small and the last shot is from 2014 (the ad has some years already) she would have 30 something years, but she is a 60 years old lady.
I know, I know, probably not the same girl, but then the ad fails.
And lol at the boy never showing his face, just like in the majority visual novel games.

Also has someone got a longer version of that version of the song? I always looked for it and never find it.

Oh man, this ad in HD at last!

I love it although its funny that the girl seems to have a fast growing up disease. Tokyo Disneyland opened in 1983, if this girl visited the park at that date when she was small and the last shot is from 2014 (the ad has some years already) she would have 30 something years, but she is a 60 years old lady.
I know, I know, probably not the same girl, but then the ad fails.
And lol at the boy never showing his face, just like in the majority visual novel games.

Also has someone got a longer version of that version of the song? I always looked for it and never find it.

The even weirder part is that it starts off in Toontown which opened in 1996 lol. As for the song, the artist commented on the video years ago saying she only recorded that bit for the commercial so a longer version doesn't exist, unfortunately.

Watched the Brave Little Toaster for the first time this week.

It was....depressing. They should just call the movie "Nature hates appliances". It's no where near the caliber of the other late 80s early 90s Disney movies by any means.

The even weirder part is that it starts off in Toontown which opened in 1996 lol. As for the song, the artist commented on the video years ago saying she only recorded that bit for the commercial so a longer version doesn't exist, unfortunately.

Ohhh, thast a pity. I love that version, only if its thats small part.
At least i can rest in peace knowing it doesnt exist a longer version. It was crazy some year ago trying every corner of the internet to look for it.

Top Bottom