• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

TEJ

I left you guys a link redirect on the OT that will last a week, so no one gets lost.

I appreciate that.

Hopefully now this topic will get bigger.

Also, if anybody has suggestions for updating the OP i'm all ears.

Malyse

I appreciate that.

More movies less parks. I can give you a list of discussion points. We can do a review club too.

TEJ

More movies less parks. I can give you a list of discussion points. We can do a review club too.

Sure!

the next disney movie I plan on seeing is big hero 6. I also need to watch my tarzan blu ray.

I also really want to buy saving mr banks on blu ray. rented it and loved it.

i'm also replaying kingdom hearts birth by sleep on proud. Completely and utterly looking forward to KH2.5 HD and KH3.

daydream

Banned
I appreciate that.

I mean, a gallery/timeline for all the classic Disney movies would be nice. A good opportunity to get some gorgeous art in there. :)

TEJ

I mean, a gallery/timeline for all the classic Disney movies would be nice. A good opportunity to get some gorgeous art in there. :)

That sounds good....unfortunately, I don't have a lick of artistic/photoshop ability. I mostly just pay others to draw for me.

But if anybody wants to do this it'd be great.

daydream

Banned
That sounds good....unfortunately, I don't have a lick of artistic/photoshop ability. I mostly just pay others to draw for me.

Haha, sorry, I meant like movie posters and such (or some sort of visual representation for every movie).

Christopher

I would prefer if focus on what's upcoming as Disney re-releases all their old movies anyway it would make the focus upon them and be more special. For instance, I can't wait until Sleeping Beauty comes in the mail even though I had the Platinum edition of the title as well.

Millon Dollar Arm
ticket.nbirsnho.227x227-75.jpg

Sleeping Beauty: Diamond Edition
mza_5145837833467984268.227x227-75.jpg

I can't wait to watch both honestly. I love feel good sports films! Also, I can't believe Sleeping Beauty is being released again. It's a perfect tie in with Maleficent and also comes out in time for Halloween with Maleficent being Disney most popular villain.

TEJ

I don't watch much disney live action stuff outside of the MCU. I did love the mighty ducks and saving mr banks though.

daydream

Banned
I would prefer if focus on what's upcoming as Disney re-releases all their old movies anyway it would make the focus upon them and be more special.

Well, the standard for community threads has been to first celebrate what's already there and then subsequently discuss both old and new. It says 'mouse' and 'legacy' in the title, after all. Not that it's that important, haha, but since TEJ asked for suggestions..

I could do something to spice up the OP.

Maybe not for today but could probably be done for this week.

How's the weather in disney in December im getting conflicting reports!

Florida? First two weeks in Dec last year were about mid to low 80s, iirc. I remember it being warmer than I was expecting but to me it was "still good". I am one who loves colder weather lol.

In other news... I'm expecting my Sleeping Beauty Blu ray in a couple days. Yay!

Christopher

Florida? First two weeks in Dec last year were about mid to low 80s, iirc. I remember it being warmer than I was expecting but to me it was "still good". I am one who loves colder weather lol.

In other news... I'm expecting my Sleeping Beauty Blu ray in a couple days. Yay!

Me too I can't wait and yes reports are saying wear jackets at night time! I'm booking Very Merry Christmas for the first week of December it's gonna be awesome .

TEJ

Disney-Princess-Kida-disney-princess-30168400-2560-1117.jpg

Let's talk Disney Princesses. Favorite princess, favorite movies, princess wish lists, ect.

actual princesses? Jasmine, Aurora or Kiara.

Favorite disney movie? the lion king,

Princess wish lists? uhhh, dunno what you mean by this.

Upcoming movies - big hero 6 looks good, I want to see the guardians of the galaxy toon' and the upcoming lion king tv movie and animated series.

TEJ

It's been a while since i've talked about this, but a big part of what makes disney movies so good are the musical numbers. They're incredibly catchy, meticulously animated, and near impossible to forget.

So yeah, I will go into a little detail about some of my favorites.

First off, is be prepared

i've seen people say that while it was great that Jeremy Irons got to sing it, that he can't carry a tune. I say that his powerful voice is what makes the song work rather than if he were singing like freddie mercury.

and holy cow, nazi allegories, and it's a song about regicide, how Scar gleefully sings about killing his brother AND talks about child murder........and this was in a G rated movie?

Yeah, it's a good song.

Next up is "i'll make a man out of you"

It's the typical montage "starts off weak, becomes the best in minutes" song but the lyrics are catchy and donny osmond does a fabulous job singing it. Plus, seeing mulan use her brains to overcome a situation and gain the respect of everyone was oh so satisfying.

and last for right now, zero to hero.

This song is amusing for many reasons. Hercules wasn't a very accurate to Greek mythology adaptation....but disney adaptations are always looser than *insert dirty joke here*.

This song is not a gag a minute, but a gag every single second. Gags everywhere. The song without the animation just does not work nearly as well. Black gospel singers singing about a Greek mythological figure unironically? Oh my. A reference to marilyn monroe? Sure, why not.

Because I have the time, and because i've never really done this before i'm going to go into the reasons why The Lion King is my favorite Disney movie. Maybe even my favorite movie, yeah i'd go that far.

There are far more personal reasons why I hold the movie dear to my heart that i'd rather not get into, but I can say that the movie helped me out in a rather dark time in my life. Believe it or not, before this movie I wasn't even a Disney fan! I kind of liked Aladdin, thought beauty and the beast was alright. Didn't care too much for the little mermaid. I liked ducktales and darkwing duck I guess?

This was the movie that changed everything.

Going into the music, it was a gateway into elton john which lead me to discover 'queen' and 'the beatles' and how I liked them more than nirvana the spice girls and pearl jam combined. listening to the music today. Does the music still hold up today?

Yes.

Even the score is great

but this is neogaf, we're supposed to hate hans zimmer

eff that how can you hate this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yUJfvonqmo

The animation is brilliant. I can go on and on about certain scenes and how the animation quality is fluid and how the art is just plain gorgeous. and this was supposed to be low budget compared to other disney films at the time.

The movie also had a lot of good performances. There were plenty of puns, gags, and delightfully camp jokes. It also was filled with more serious moments.

It had a little bit of romance, but unlike three out of the four Disney Renaissance flicks before it, the movie was about a father and his son and dealing with emotional baggage. pretty heavy for a g rated film.

edit 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kGEz1zDGgY

I found this and had to share it. it's based off a deleted scene from the movie + the musical but to say that it's well done is an incredible understatment.

Malyse

actual princesses? Jasmine, Aurora or Kiara.

Favorite disney movie? the lion king,

Princess wish lists? uhhh, dunno what you mean by this.

Upcoming movies - big hero 6 looks good, I want to see the guardians of the galaxy toon' and the upcoming lion king tv movie and animated series.

Favorite Princess movie. I said, let's talk princesses.

Let me give an example:

Favorite princess: (self explanatory) Belle. She's a total badass
Favorite Movie (of the twelve Disney Princess movies): Aladdin, with Frozen close behind.
Princess Wish List (one character you would have added to the princess lineup): I want Disney to add Eilonwy to the line up.

TEJ

Favorite Princess movie. I said, let's talk princesses.

Let me give an example:

Favorite princess: (self explanatory) Belle. She's a total badass
Favorite Movie (of the twelve Disney Princess movies): Aladdin, with Frozen close behind.
Princess Wish List (one character you would have added to the princess lineup): I want Disney to add Eilonwy to the line up.

Okay!

Jasmine
Aladdin as well
Kiara. She's definitely canon, and will be in the lion guard

daydream

Banned
Favourite Disney Princess: Megara (I think we talked about this earlier in this thread, haha. GAF loves Megara and, well, I do too.)

Favourite Princess Movie: Hm, well, they're all great, obviously. Although admittedly, I have yet to see the most recent films. Gonna go with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Princess Wishlist: Boy, I don't keep track of that, at all. I don't have anyone in mind so I'll pass.

Malyse

Favourite Disney Princess: Megara (I think we talked about this earlier in this thread, haha. GAF loves Megara and, well, I do too.)

Favourite Princess Movie: Hm, well, they're all great, obviously. Although admittedly, I have yet to see the most recent films. Gonna go with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Princess Wishlist: Boy, I don't keep track of that, at all. I don't have anyone in mind so I'll pass.

Your wish list is Megara, cause she's not a Disney Princess...

Sleeping Beauty is out today and it's definitely a step down from the platinum edition. Some new added features but a whole lot of missing ones. The quality is still excellent, though.

This is a reminder that Disney Infinity 2.0 is free to play on PC.

Runs pretty good too. You can buy character levels with the sparks you earn and any toy store items you've unlocked on console are available on PC. My only complaint is that you can't change the key bindings but they're mostly good as is.

TEJ

I decided against disney infinity 2.0 when it became marvel infinity.

I mostly get my disney nostalgic 'feels' from kingdom hearts. Today I replayed a bit of bayonetta and some smash bros 3DS. I was thinking of replaying vanquish and dragons dogma dark arisen and mass effect 3.

as much as I like disney movies, their recent games have left me cold outside of kingdom hearts. Ducktales remake was alright, the mickey game w/ music by grant kirkhope was solid.

I just want a good disney game that has the style production values, and flair of kingdom hearts but with a story that makes sense and a bigger focus on disney

daydream

Banned
I decided against disney infinity 2.0 when it became marvel infinity.

I mostly get my disney nostalgic 'feels' from kingdom hearts. Today I replayed a bit of bayonetta and some smash bros 3DS. I was thinking of replaying vanquish and dragons dogma dark arisen and mass effect 3.

as much as I like disney movies, their recent games have left me cold outside of kingdom hearts. Ducktales remake was alright, the mickey game w/ music by grant kirkhope was solid.

I just want a good disney game that has the style production values, and flair of kingdom hearts but with a story that makes sense and a bigger focus on disney

Agreed, the Infinity stuff is not for me, at all. I think KH had a good thing going for a while with the Disney collaboration. I'm guessing they were only allowed to do so much with those licences so they felt hamstrung while wanting to create someting.. unique, let's say. Just my theory but big companies being protective of their licences makes this a likely scenario in my eyes.

And yes, the Mickey remake was amazing. Shame Sega Australia had to close doors.

TEJ

Agreed, the Infinity stuff is not for me, at all. I think KH had a good thing going for a while with the Disney collaboration. I'm guessing they were only allowed to do so much with those licences so they felt hamstrung while wanting to create someting.. unique, let's say. Just my theory but big companies being protective of their licences makes this a likely scenario in my eyes.

And yes, the Mickey remake was amazing. Shame Sega Australia had to close doors.

after seeing platinum work on legend of korra i'd like to see a god hand style hercules game

or since platinum is essentially clover studios, a lion king game that's very okami-like.

daydream

Banned
after seeing platinum work on legend of korra i'd like to see a god hand style hercules game

or since platinum is essentially clover studios, a lion king game that's very okami-like.

Those are great ideas that will never get made. :D

At least the PS1/PC Hercules game was good. One of my favourites back in the day.

TEJ

Those are great ideas that will never get made. :D

At least the PS1/PC Hercules game was good. One of my favourites back in the day.

I never played many disney games as I usually stayed away from licensed titles.

This might shock some people, but i've never played the lion king game on the genesis {did it get a snes release too?}

Also, there should be an aladdin/mulan crossover swordfighting action game made by tomonobu itagaki
complete with hyperviolence lololol

daydream

Banned
I never played many disney games as I usually stayed away from licensed titles.

This might shock some people, but i've never played the lion king game on the genesis {did it get a snes release too?}

Also, there should be an aladdin/mulan crossover swordfighting action game made by tomonobu itagaki
complete with hyperviolence lololol

Oh, you're missing out on some great games (a lot of platformers, actually). A NES/SNES era Disney game by Capcom is basically guaranteed to be good, if not amazing.

There's a SNES version of Lion King but the Genesis version is universally considered to be superior.

TEJ

Oh, you're missing out on some great games (a lot of platformers, actually). A NES/SNES era Disney game by Capcom is basically guaranteed to be good, if not amazing.

There's a SNES version of Lion King but the Genesis version is universally considered to be superior.

I played a few of the capcom disney games, thought they were okay but at the time i'd rather have played super mario, castlevania or contra.

I played epic mickey 2 and sold it pretty quickly. blah.

daydream

Banned
I played a few of the capcom disney games, thought they were okay but at the time i'd rather have played super mario, castlevania or contra.

I played epic mickey 2 and sold it pretty quickly. blah.

I never played Epic Mickey 2 (aside from a bad demo) but I actually got some enjoyment out of the first one. I really loved the concept of bringing back "forgotten" Disney characters and I thought Spector and his team managed to realise a good chunk of that potential. Granted, camera controls weren't ideal.

TEJ

I never played Epic Mickey 2 (aside from a bad demo) but I actually got some enjoyment out of the first one. I really loved the concept of bringing back "forgotten" Disney characters and I thought Spector and his team managed to realise a good chunk of that potential. Granted, camera controls weren't ideal.

I just feel that disney isn't taking their ip's to their full gaming potential.

KH, while not the most disney focused franchise anymore, still has a lot of disney stuff in it. It still feels kind of like a love letter to disney fans far more than the infinity games do.

daydream

Banned
I just feel that disney isn't taking their ip's to their full gaming potential.

KH, while not the most disney focused franchise anymore, still has a lot of disney stuff in it. It still feels kind of like a love letter to disney fans far more than the infinity games do.

Oh, for sure. All the classic Disney stuff in Infinity seems super lifeless to me (just like the whole game, really), basically just done out of obligation.

It's hard to blame them from a business perspective, though. Comic stuff is more popular than ever.

TEJ

Oh, for sure. All the classic Disney stuff in Infinity seems super lifeless to me (just like the whole game, really), basically just done out of obligation.

It's hard to blame them from a business perspective, though. Comic stuff is more popular than ever.

I do like watching comic book movies, but you don't make a game called 'disney infinity' and then have barely anything disney about it.

disney infinity 3.0 will probably be about star wars, blah

For what it's worth I think Disney Infinity is a good game. I do agree with TEJ about the Marvel/non-Disney stuff but I think the game really shines as a sandbox in the truest sense of the word. LittleBigPlanet tried to do that user-generated stuff expanding various genres but IMO failed, whereas Disney Infinity actually accomplished that in 2.0. They absolutely made the right choice in focusing more on the toy box stuff. Unfortunately, as apparent as it was in the OT, people mostly focused on the play sets. It's understandable--most people don't like the user-generated stuff, but I really love the creativitoys and just messing with logic connections for each toy. I'd say it's probably a lot more enjoyable to me than Minecraft was.

It's a very good, bad, ugly kind of game.

Good: Toy box
Bad (or rather Meh): Play sets
Ugly: The business model (I only really hate the power disc stuff)

Top Bottom