• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walt Disney community thread: the Man, the Mouse, and their legacy.

TEJ

So, you are Japanese and/or you live in Japan? Can you tell us what the Japanese Disney parks are like?

Thank you :)

Wubby

So, you are Japanese and/or you live in Japan? Can you tell us what the Japanese Disney parks are like?

Thank you :)

I'm not Japanese (married to one) but I do live in Japan!

Oh gosh where would I begin to describe the Japanese parks...

I guess I'll start with Tokyo Disneyland (TDL). I'm biased though because I worked at California Disneyland (DL) for so long and that's the one I've been to most. In my opinion DL is better than TDL. DL is old and has more history to it. One thing about TDL that's a plus and a minus is there's so much wide open space (not something you hear often about Japan itself). That makes it easier to get around but imo loses some of the atmosphere and intimacy of DL. I much prefer the layout of DL but that's my bias because I know DL and it's backstage and tunnels like the back of my hand.

TDL does have it's pluses. Pooh's Hunny Hunt with its trackless system is a unique experience. Much better than that turd Pooh ride DL got. Also it's so much cleaner(*)... I add the star because my last experiences with DL was mainly during the Pressler/Harris years of cost cutting affecting maintenance of the park. I hear it's better now but I haven't been back in years.

The other attractions feel about the same as what I rode at DL. There's less of them too so it's not impossible to do everything.... crowd permitting. TDL is always packed no matter the day. DL you would get some nice empty days during the week but that never happens at TDL (aside from typhoon days hah). Sadly due to Japanese rail laws they don't have a steam train that goes around the whole park.

Oh I also like the merchandise they have at TDL. They have some pretty unique stuff.

As for secondary parks Tokyo DisneySea knocks the socks off of California Adventure (DCA). It's so beautiful. I just like walking around staring at everything. DCA is such a turd. I was on the opening crew for DCA. They really blew it with DCA. Now they are having to spend a ton of money to remake DCA. You can thank Pressler for that too.

As far as attractions Sea has a few gems. Journey to the Center of the Earth is probably my favorite because it's unique to the park. Same system as the old Rocket Rods at DL but a much better experience. Tower of Terror and Indy are at Sea. I do wish Sea had some more E-ticket rides.

So tempted to book another trip down to Disney.

I'm going down at the end of January, but Orbitz is currently offering a 20% off promo, coupled with 30% off the Disney promo is running.

I could get 5 nights at the Wilderness Lodge for under $1000.

So tempted to book another trip down to Disney.

I'm going down at the end of January, but Orbitz is currently offering a 20% off promo, coupled with 30% off the Disney promo is running.

I could get 5 nights at the Wilderness Lodge for under $1000.

Pretty tempting. I want to book for late January but I hate having to pay upfront :/. Might just go with Pop Century if I take advantage of this.

Edit: 9 nights at Pop for $700 lol

Pretty tempting. I want to book for late January but I hate having to pay upfront :/. Might just go with Pop Century if I take advantage of this.

Edit: 9 nights at Pop for $700 lol

I'm going down for a week, renting points from a DVC owner at the BWV. If it wasn't for the fact it'll be two trips within a span of a month I'd totally take advantage of this deal.

I sadly dont think they are never going to use (or at least well) disneyland properties. And the game that was going to do it (Epic Mickey) failed massively at doing so.

I thought Epic Mickey's only redeeming factor were the disneyland themes. I thought they did some interesting stuff with making a distorted version of disneyland.

The camera, repetitive nature of the game, and so many other little things were the biggest undoing of the game.

The second game isn't even worth trying. Horrible mess.

Those prices on Disneyworld trips are so tempting. Went 2 years ago in mid January and it was the perfect time. Can't do the time period this year, but it really is a great time to go.

TEJ

where is that from? I'll admit that i'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to modern popular music.

Most of what I listen to is older than me lollin'

I thought Epic Mickey's only redeeming factor were the disneyland themes. I thought they did some interesting stuff with making a distorted version of disneyland.

The camera, repetitive nature of the game, and so many other little things were the biggest undoing of the game.

The second game isn't even worth trying. Horrible mess.

Those prices on Disneyworld trips are so tempting. Went 2 years ago in mid January and it was the perfect time. Can't do the time period this year, but it really is a great time to go.

I think they seriously fucked up big time.
The premise was forgotten Disneyland, yet they do little with that premise.
Tomorrowland it's massive history is threw out of the window just to put some "cool" tron shit.
Frontierland is totally absent from the first game and badly done in the second one.
Those two areas have changed so much it would have been incredibly intersting to see what they could have done with their past.
Matterhorn is literally, a piece of brown shit (the idea was good, not how its developed).
Main Street is totally fucked up in the second game.
Adventureland treated like pirates land is a huge misunderstanding.

The music... oh god the music. X Atencio, George Bruns, Buddy Baker and the Sherman Brothers are twisting in their grave (apart from richard Sherman thats not dead) hearing the shit that replaced their songs. Jim Dooley spitted on the face of all this great men that composed much better music than him. Really? music similar to the PotC movies instead of the disneyland version? Im pretty sure if its a small world creepy version is in there is because Warren Spector forced him to put it in as he promised it in interviews.
Its like he didnt put a foot inside of disneyland before doing the music.
If you still haven't noticed the soundtrack is one of the things I most hate from the games.
Michael Giacchino is the man that would have made an amazing soundtrack, he has the most respect to everything where he needs to do an homage (Speed Racer to its japanese and american openings, Cloverfield end credits to Akira Ifukube's Godzilla soundtracks, The Incredibles music to John Barry's James Bond Music...), and still giving it its own feeling. He is a master of its craft, and he started as a videogame composer and works mostly for Disney, he has even done music for Disneyland!
Not choosing him instead of the pushing Daisies guy is a failure, even more when he told in an interview he would have loved to have done the Epic Mickey OST if they have told him to do it.
FUCK THAT SHIT!

Im not one of those crazy guys saying the creepy art that was released before the start of the project was the way to go, in fact, thats the least of the game's problems and thank god they didnt go that way.
I still think they fucked up big time with the game and Disneyland's legacy. Epic Mickey 2 is even a worse game. Its still blows my mind everything they got wrong.

Thanks for the positive feedback! Feels great.

Its yours?
Im sorry to be so negative then, but really, I don't think the majority of the ideas listed there are any good.

Malyse

At no point was Epic Mickey pitched as a Disneyland thing. Oswald was never part of Disneylan . You played yourself.

At no point was Epic Mickey pitched as a Disneyland thing. Oswald was never part of Disneylan . You played yourself.

Somone havent seen the hundreds of videos Warren Spector released talking about that then.
Forgotten disneyland and disney was the main theme of the game.
Even the NPCs talk about that.
Its not well conveyed in the game though, as I have already explained. And I dont think forgotten disney as a whole is well done either in the game.

Also who said Oswald was part of Disneyland? Not me, thats for sure.

zeemumu

The first real level is It's a Small World. It's so very clearly a dilapidated Disneyland.

That said, I think you're reading way too much into it, Ridley.

I think they seriously fucked up big time.
The premise was forgotten Disneyland, yet they do little with that premise.
Tomorrowland it's massive history is threw out of the window just to put some "cool" tron shit.
Frontierland is totally absent from the first game and badly done in the second one.
Those two areas have changed so much it would have been incredibly intersting to see what they could have done with their past.
Matterhorn is literally, a piece of brown shit (the idea was good, not how its developed).
Main Street is totally fucked up in the second game.
Adventureland treated like pirates land is a huge misunderstanding.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't great. I honestly didn't know it had the disneyland backdrop prior to going into the game, so it was a pleasant surprise in an otherwise extremely mediocre game.

The first real level is It's a Small World. It's so very clearly a dilapidated Disneyland.

That said, I think you're reading way too much into it, Ridley.

Well I dont think its too much, maybe I had too many expectations when I heard Spector's interviews talking about forgotten Disneyland.
Its just... that its a pity seeing what the game could have been and what we got :( And the OST get's on my nerves.

If only we got a good game for once with a Disneyland backdrop I would be imensely happy.

Yeah, it certainly wasn't great. I honestly didn't know it had the disneyland backdrop prior to going into the game, so it was a pleasant surprise in an otherwise extremely mediocre game.

Seems that it certainly was that my expectations were to high. A game was finally getting soemthing I wanted to see, so its not surprised I was so bummed with the final product.
The worst thing of all is tghat I really thought they could resolve all the problems with the second gamem, and at the end we got a worse one.

Calm down everyone before things get too out of hand....

Sorry TEJ, remembering epic mickey unnerves me. You are right, will calm down.

daydream

Banned
If only we got a good game for once with a Disneyland backdrop I would be imensely happy.

There's Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibōken and Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour. Probably Definitely not exactly what you're looking for but the first one is definitely a good game just like most Disney platformers of the era. The latter doesn't hold a candle to Mickey's Speedway USA, though, which is a great kart racer.

There's Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibōken and Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour. Probably Definitely not exactly what you're looking for but the first one is definitely a good game just like most Disney platformers of the era. The latter doesn't hold a candle to Mickey's Speedway USA, though, which is a great kart racer.

Ive played both.
For the first one is incredible that a 2d platformer respects more the source material than a 3D adventure.
For the second one, I think it was a rather fun diversion.
Theres also Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, although thats a little bit archaic becuase of the NES.

It would be cool if an indie game made a disneyland parody with the same premise as Tokyo Dinsyeland Daiboken but more fleshed out and bigger.
If I tell you the truth I was going to do something like that for an indie game, until something happened and all was undone sadly.

daydream

Banned
Ive played both.
For the first one is incredible that a 2d platformer respects more the source material than a 3D adventure.
For the second one, I think it was a rather fun diversion.
Theres also Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, although thats a little bit archaic becuase of the NES.

It would be cool if an indie game made a disneyland parody with the same premise as Tokyo Dinsyeland Daiboken but more fleshed out and bigger.
If I tell you the truth I was going to do something like that for an indie game, until something happened and all was undone sadly.

Oh yeah, forgot about Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, good call! I like that game quite a bit.

Bummer to hear about your game, though. Hope it re-materialises someday. :(

I'm not Japanese (married to one) but I do live in Japan!

Oh gosh where would I begin to describe the Japanese parks...

I guess I'll start with Tokyo Disneyland (TDL). I'm biased though because I worked at California Disneyland (DL) for so long and that's the one I've been to most. In my opinion DL is better than TDL. DL is old and has more history to it. One thing about TDL that's a plus and a minus is there's so much wide open space (not something you hear often about Japan itself). That makes it easier to get around but imo loses some of the atmosphere and intimacy of DL. I much prefer the layout of DL but that's my bias because I know DL and it's backstage and tunnels like the back of my hand.

TDL does have it's pluses. Pooh's Hunny Hunt with its trackless system is a unique experience. Much better than that turd Pooh ride DL got. Also it's so much cleaner(*)... I add the star because my last experiences with DL was mainly during the Pressler/Harris years of cost cutting affecting maintenance of the park. I hear it's better now but I haven't been back in years.

The other attractions feel about the same as what I rode at DL. There's less of them too so it's not impossible to do everything.... crowd permitting. TDL is always packed no matter the day. DL you would get some nice empty days during the week but that never happens at TDL (aside from typhoon days hah). Sadly due to Japanese rail laws they don't have a steam train that goes around the whole park.

Oh I also like the merchandise they have at TDL. They have some pretty unique stuff.

As for secondary parks Tokyo DisneySea knocks the socks off of California Adventure (DCA). It's so beautiful. I just like walking around staring at everything. DCA is such a turd. I was on the opening crew for DCA. They really blew it with DCA. Now they are having to spend a ton of money to remake DCA. You can thank Pressler for that too.

As far as attractions Sea has a few gems. Journey to the Center of the Earth is probably my favorite because it's unique to the park. Same system as the old Rocket Rods at DL but a much better experience. Tower of Terror and Indy are at Sea. I do wish Sea had some more E-ticket rides.

Thanks for the impressions, I worked at WDW and haven't been to TDL or DL. Have you ever been to WDW?

zeemumu

This mug

I WANT IT. I NEED IT.

Oh yeah, forgot about Adventures in the Magic Kingdom, good call! I like that game quite a bit.

Bummer to hear about your game, though. Hope it re-materialises someday. :(

Yeah i dont know sadly. Theres to much trouble with it for my part. I would love to do a new version of the idea, as its impossible to use my original idea, but I dont know, probably too much work to remagine everything again after loosing the other.

TEJ

So, big hero 6, Who here is going to see it opening day? I'm going to try to, but I might be too busy. I hope not, as I haven't been this interested in a disney animated movie in a long time.

So, big hero 6, Who here is going to see it opening day? I'm going to try to, but I might be too busy. I hope not, as I haven't been this interested in a disney animated movie in a long time.

I suppose im going to wait to the next wednesday after the release, as wednesdays are spectators days and its like 3-4 euros isntead of 7-9.

For me its looking like a Frozen situation (althoutg the trailers in thsi one are better), but I dont know if im going to like it before I watch it, so no much hype here.

Wubby

Thanks for the impressions, I worked at WDW and haven't been to TDL or DL. Have you ever been to WDW?

Once... That was 20 years ago though. Tower of Terror was under construction at that time I remember. Animal Kingdom didn't exist yet either. I'd like to go back someday. Also want to see the Paris park.

Once... That was 20 years ago though. Tower of Terror was under construction at that time I remember. Animal Kingdom didn't exist yet either. I'd like to go back someday. Also want to see the Paris park.

WDW changes so much every 3-4 years. You've missed so much. Definitely go again soon, it's pretty much my favorite place to visit. Still love Epcot nights strolling around World showcase.

DisneySea is the Disney Park I want to see the most at this point.

Best. Time. Ever.

Will give full report later ...seriously amazing time.

DL. right? I'm curious how it compares to WDW Mickey's Not-so-Scary Halloween Party.

Disney World my friend! As soon as I get home I'll type it all out i hate typing long sentences on the phone

Oh, excellent! Sadly, when I went last year it rained the entire night. Like, we were soaked, ponchos all night.

To make things worse, we had to pick up our tickets at will call. Problem is, since it was raining hard, everyone had the idea that could stand in the customer service line and get their tickets switched to a later night. It was our last night in Florida so this wasn't an option. So we basically had to stand in a line, in the rain for like an hour before we could even get our tickets so we could get rained on even more :(

Highlight of the night was they eventually did Hallowishes. At least it sounds like your night was better! lol.

Christopher

Oh my night was fantastic I promise a full report I'll give everyone a sample though

My bucket was FULL of candy
I saw the two parades front row
Hallo wishes I saw some disabled lady asked if she could sit in front where I stood for an hour they said no problem when the staff came over to relocate her she said only if I could come so I got a tremendous view

I rode:
Big thunder mountain
Pirates of the carribean
The haunted mansion

Those were my fast pass pluses

Regularly I rode
Journey under the sea little mermaid
Snow White seven dwarfs mine train
Mickeys philarmagic
Peter pans flight
It's a small world

I met:
The old hag
Jack and Sally
Mickey Mouse
Minnie Mouse
Donald and goofy
Tinker bell
Jafar

It was a sold out party too so I didn't know what to expect with the crowds! It was excellent excellent!!!!!

Oh my night was fantastic I promise a full report I'll give everyone a sample though

My bucket was FULL of candy
I saw the two parades front row
Hallo wishes I saw some disabled lady asked if she could sit in front where I stood for an hour they said no problem when the staff came over to relocate her she said only if I could come so I got a tremendous view

I rode:
Big thunder mountain
Pirates of the carribean
The haunted mansion

Those were my fast pass pluses

Regularly I rode
Journey under the sea little mermaid
Snow White seven dwarfs mine train
Mickeys philarmagic
Peter pans flight
It's a small world

I met:
The old hag
Jack and Sally
Mickey Mouse
Minnie Mouse
Donald and goofy
Tinker bell
Jafar

It was a sold out party too so I didn't know what to expect with the crowds! It was excellent excellent!!!!!

Glad you had fun. Seems like you were able to do everything you wanted and then some. With it being sold out, you can expect the Christmas party to be similar crowd wise (or better).

Question: How was the line for Seven Dwarfs mine train? Just curious because this is the first hard ticket season the ride has been in operation.

When is Anna and Elsa's coronation?

No word yet I think. I'm curious how they'll handle a dual princess/queen coronation. Could be interesting!

Christopher

The line for the mine cart ride was huge from start to finish I don't know what lucky time I passed by because it went to 20 minutes! It felt sooner though too Anna and Elsa still had 90 minue wait times thofut geeze

Also The Haunted Mansion by far was our favorite ride

Are they still doing the Sorcerer's of Magic Kingdom interactive card game? there were free exclusive Not-So-Scary Halloween part cards they gave out last year for it.

Also that's great Jack and Sally are there now for the party, they weren't last time I was there. Just had a little meet and greet weekend at Downtown Disney.

Christopher

I believe they were there giving out the cards to people I did it once three years ago and it really is a cool feature that I wasn't too interested anymore, however yes they were still giving out the cards and a lot of people seemed to enjoy it.

I only waited about 35 minutes for Jack and Sally I got them at the right time their really playful and interactive I can imagine why their que goes on for a long time

That's so awesome. Shame they're Halloween only characters though. Did you catch a glance at how long the Anna and Elsa meet and greet line was?

How did you like the Mine ride? Wasn't open last time I was there.

Christopher

That's so awesome. Shame they're Halloween only characters though. Did you catch a glance at how long the Anna and Elsa meet and greet line was?

How did you like the Mine ride? Wasn't open last time I was there.

The mine ride was aweome really smooth and its a nice attraction it's good to see them still themeing rides off old properties and nothing better than seven dwarfs I really enjoyed it. The line que is also really neat it has interactive games and keeps the line short!

Anna and Elsa was a nightmare especially since all the little girls were dressed as them. Also Disney told the good Anna and Elsa costumers who were really really good they couldn't take pictures with guests

That's great to hear about the interactive lines and all. Since Toy Story Mania, and even a little before that, it's a good trend for those long ass queues.

It's a shame about the no photos with others "rule", they can't figure out a way to cut down line queues for Anna and Elsa so there's plenty of sad little girls there. However, given the circumstances, I guarantee you at least more than a few unofficial photos like that did occur.

When I last went, Alice left early and didn't come back so a sweet lady in that costume let my niece take her picture with her. Very cool stuff.

daydream

Banned
Funnily enough, Disney Magical World (in Europe) is actually one of two Disney games to be released this week. Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved is out today, in fact. Anybody gonna try that one? I lack the hardware, sadly.

TEJ

Funnily enough, Disney Magical World (in Europe) is actually one of two Disney games to be released this week. Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved is out today, in fact. Anybody gonna try that one? I lack the hardware, sadly.

Isn't that an xbox one title? Yeah I lack an xbox one. I want one for scalebound though.

Top Bottom