• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The WaterField Case for Nintendo Switch - Production Updates

Looks hipsterish but OK. The thing I dint like with these designs is that they take much more space than a zip case like most common ones that you see around.

WadeitOut

Bro if people want to buy it they will buy it don't spend so much time telling everyone how their opinion is pointless.

On topic these look pretty amazing I will totally get one and throw in my suitcase for work trips. Looks like it might have better protection than the Zelda shekiah slate one in the master edition.

Bro. No one said anyone's opinion was pointless. I was giving my opinion that I think it's pointless. Literally the entire purpose of a message board is to give multiple opinions.

I'm also the one who has been posting the updates from the email notifications, so duh duh duh deal with it.

I've been ignoring this thread but gotta admit, this is pretty darn cool.

Sticking with the PDP case for now, but I might look into this later.

Tyeforce

I suppose they're not gonna make a non-leather version? Bleh, I might've considered getting one if it weren't for that.

Seil

Looks nice, but I dunno if the "nice, snug custom fit" is so great for the analog sticks that are constantly going to be put through unnecessary stress being slid in and out of a tight enclosure, possibly winding up in various positions for extended periods of time?

forrest

formerly nacire
Saw this yesterday, looking nice. The one thing that always kept me from getting a city slicker was no dedicated space for the charger.

I ended up going with something much cheaper and honestly not much bigger, that I believe is the best 3ds case that has room for everything.

https://youtu.be/2uZtVcP3El4

Can't wait to see the pro and Champ versions.

Cerium

Looks nice, but I dunno if the "nice, snug custom fit" is so great for the analog sticks that are constantly going to be put through unnecessary stress being slid in and out of a tight enclosure, possibly winding up in various positions for extended periods of time?

Their Vita cases have rave reviews so I'm sure it'll be fine.

WadeitOut

Yeah I don't see how it will hold the device without pressing against the sticks like what you get with a hard case.

Would have almost been better if they just made it to fit without the joy cons with the minimalist design and had like a section in front of the tablet with a plastic insert for your two joy cons. It would have been it thicker obviously but it also would have cut it down to being almost 3DS XL case size in length.

Seil

Their Vita cases have rave reviews so I'm sure it'll be fine.

I dunno, the vita's more uniform in thickness with the sticks being the only thing that sticks out. And its sticks are even smaller than the switch's. The switch has the "hump" at the trigger which means it's got extra thickness on both sides. This combined with a tight fit and a soft interior material, especially with as much resistance as it seemed to have in the video, makes me worry about the sticks being held in a non-neutral position after being slid into the case. And that would be less than optimal.

Yeah I don't see how it will hold the device without pressing against the sticks like what you get with a hard case.

Would have almost been better if they just made it to fit without the joy cons with the minimalist design and had like a section in front of the tablet with a plastic insert for your two joy cons. It would have been it thicker obviously but it also would have cut it down to being almost 3DS XL case size in length.

I would like to see more people experimenting with case ideas that involve disconnecting the joy-cons. Even separate tablet and joy-con cases are a possibility opened up here. As for the why on separate cases: people that actually do want to pocket the thing could split it between pockets. Also you could use joy-con cases for properly storing an extra set in your bag or something.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Do these usually have to be preordered or are sold in low numbers, or will there be no problem buying one whenever, once it's out?

Cerium

Do these usually have to be preordered or are sold in low numbers, or will there be no problem buying one whenever, once it's out?

They make batches to fit demand, but I've never seen what happens at launch, and they're more well known in gaming circles now than they used to be.

In the long term I'm sure supply will catch up to demand but at the beginning it's hard to say.

zeromcd73

Oh, wow. This looks fantastic. Definitely gonna grab one of these. I have no idea how long these things usually take until they are actually sold, but I hope its before April since I am moving to Japan then.

Adamator

There is a new update.

They are tweaking the CitySlicker prototype and also mention they will be at the Nintendo Switch event on the 26th in San Francisco to "field test" it. I'm already signed up to go to that so I will be looking for them.

WadeitOut

So are the analog sticks just going to be permanently bent up when in this then? I would still consider maybe getting one of these if they had some sort of molded insert that prevented this.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
new update makes it sound perfect - easy magnetic closure & a shoulder strap make it a viable daily bag for NYC commutes

will def pre order when available. gotta decide what color to go with - brown, grizzly or black.

They were responding in the update 3 youtube thread about the analog sticks concern, saying they have taken that concern into account and it will not be a problem.

WadeitOut

It's got a soft wall to cushion it.

Cushion isn't the problem. These analog sticks aren't tiny like in a Vita. With any amount of pressure on the exterior of the case the sticks are going to be lodged in one direction or another.

Then again I personally never buy soft cases so this might not be an issue for people who do. I just don't want the analog sticks on my brand new switch being wedged out of position while I transport it.

Owari

Looks nice but they're jerks for not considering a leather-free model. There's no reason to use the skin of an animal when alternatives are much cheaper and look/feel exactly the same.

Looks nice but they're jerks for not considering a leather-free model. There's no reason to use the skin of an animal when alternatives are much cheaper and look/feel exactly the same.
You're really stretching for things to dislike about Switch cases. Stick to your large pocketed jeans.

Cushion isn't the problem. These analog sticks aren't tiny like in a Vita. With any amount of pressure on the exterior of the case the sticks are going to be lodged in one direction or another.

Then again I personally never buy soft cases so this might not be an issue for people who do. I just don't want the analog sticks on my brand new switch being wedged out of position while I transport it.

I think it'll be fine. The kind of people who would concider a case like this, is likely to treat it nicely. Personally I don't expect any more damage to the sticks from it than most alternatives.

Unless we're talking a bulky hardcase. Which I have for my Vita, but I'm not too hot on getting one for the Switch. Seems too big and heavy for what you get. Softcases seem to be more useful and flexible. No pun intended. ;-)

And here's the cool thing, should you somehow damage a stick, you can buy a new joycon. You don't need to replace the entire system. So the screen is the main worry. Sticks are more likely to be damaged during use than transport in my experience. There's normally nowhere near as much force applied as when playing games.

forrest

formerly nacire
Update looks good. I'd love to see them integrate some sort of molded foam or material under the fabric. I feel it would give the interior of the bag a tighter form factor. Right now it just looks puffy and mushy.

Doorman

I've never purchased any Waterfield products before, but this caught my eye when it was brought up in the more general Switch case thread. I have a fairly small and cheap case on order already but if the nature of this thing is meant to be more "on the go" than previous consoles it would definitely be nice to have a higher-quality bag to take it around in. They seem very intent on incorporating customer feedback and that can only be a good sign.

I'm most interested in seeing what they have in store for the Pro style. Seems like just the right fit for taking the Switch out for a weekend at the folks' house or something, still retain all the features but know you won't be bothering with all the cable re-hooks of toting the dock and all. Looking forward to their next video update!

I do wish there was an animal free version tbh. They're beautiful cases, I would like to order one guilt free :p

Kamina

Golden Boy
The only thing that keeps me from this is that the size and shape of the switch city slicker makes it look like a handbag of sorts, especially with the strap.

Voror

Is there any inkling on when this would be released? If preorders open soon I'd guess with production a few months?

Cerium

Is there any inkling on when this would be released? If preorders open soon I'd guess with production a few months?

Preorders open on the 24th.

Waterfield makes all of their products on site in their own shop. There are no factories or anything, so it should start happening immediately once the design is finalized.

jblank83

In for the blue. Love it.

I am slightly concerned about pressure on the sticks, but not that much. Usually Nintendo does a good job engineering their components.

Voror

Preorders open on the 24th.

Waterfield makes all of their products on site in their own shop. There are no factories or anything, so it should start happening immediately once the design is finalized.

Ah then turnaround and shipping them out could be relatively fast I suppose though depending on how many orders they get it could take a while I suppose.

Saw this earlier. Keep hearing about the company lately. They literally had me at TARDIS blue. Gonna wait to see the other models before choosing though.

Top Bottom