• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

Who are used to the Wii U scheme because they own DSs and 3DSs? I'm talking about console gamers. I guess I should emphasize again that I'm speaking of console only gamers.

I, for one, am used to the Wii U scheme because (get this) I actually had the Classic Controller for the Wii, where the button layout was the same as on the Wii U, and A was the "Accept" button in every game I played, while B was the "Cancel" button respectively.

Also, I was using "right" in a sense like "true" or "correct". There is no ultimately correct or best or whatever button layout.
In Japan, the right button (O on the PS controller, A on any Nintendo controller except N64 and GC) are the "Accept" buttons, wheras the bottom button (X on the PS controller, B on any Nintendo controller except N64 and GC) is the "Cancel" button. Imagine their surprise when Microsoft switched it around with the original Xbox and continued the trend with the 360.

Western markets switched that around for some unknown reason and Microsoft actually adapted their layout to that situation.

Just wanted to let you know that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
O (right) to confirm and X (bottom) to cancel is the Japanese Sony standard and it's always been weird to me.

Yeah, and I'm glad that most PS3 game localizations change this for western audiences.

Japanese PS3 + UK games = fun meta game called 'which button is OK and which button is BACK?'

some games force the UK style, some follow the convention for the console

Mael

Then maybe don't filter everything I say through this fanboy lens.

Is that the way you took it?
That wasn't my point, my point is that among the gaming population in the West people don't view the 360 pas as any kind of standard.
And in Europe, I'd say that's a fair assomption to make.
I'm not the one arguing that Western gamers have trouble recognising a layout that's been in use in pretty much most of the gaming devices they've used.

Japanese PS3 + UK games = fun meta game called 'which button is OK and which button is BACK?'

Going from FFIII to FFVII was all kind of awkward because of this >.<

GavinGT

Banned
In Japan, the right button (O on the PS controller, A on any Nintendo controller except N64 and GC) are the "Accept" buttons, wheras the bottom button (X on the PS controller, B on any Nintendo controller except N64 and GC) is the "Cancel" button. Imagine their surprise when Microsoft switched it around with the original Xbox and continued the trend with the 360.

Western markets switched that around for some unknown reason and Microsoft actually adapted their layout to that situation.

Yes, that's what happened. Now, armed with that context, you might re-read my posts and try to understand what I've been saying all along.

SmokyDave

I, for one, am used to the Wii U scheme because (get this) I actually had the Classic Controller for the Wii, where the button layout was the same as on the Wii U, and A was the "Accept" button in every game I played, while B was the "Cancel" button respectively.

Also, I was using "right" in a sense like "true" or "correct". There is no ultimately correct or best or whatever button layout.

Poor Dreamcast. Forgotten already.

ThankeeSai

Pretty much agree with the OP. Fantastic controller, very comfortable to hold, nice and responsive most of the time

Lack of analogue triggers is a bit of a downer, but won't bother me too much - Not really into racers, but as SmokyDave says, open world games with vehicles, may be a bit of a concern.

The screen responsiveness can sometimes be an issue - playing ZombiU for example, when I try and drag items around the screen, every now and then, I'll have to push down that little bit harder in order for it to work properly. Certainly not a major issue, but an issue none the less.

Off TV play is amazing and this is how I've played Nano Assault Neo most of the time. That said, I played on TV last night and only just realised that if you have satellites around your ship, you can customise their positions, mid game just by touching the screen. Awesome stuff.

Anyway, looking forward to see how future games utilise it :)

Orayn

ITT I learned that some people recognize their button prompts by letter instead of color and need to think about which position each button has on the diamond every single time.

The switched accept/cancel positions do mess with me from time to time, though, I'll give you that.

Poor Dreamcast. Forgotten already.

Never had a Dreamcast and played one only about 3 or 4 times in my life. At least I'm aware about what I missed out on.

Yes, that's what happened. Now, armed with that context, you might re-read my posts and try to understand what I've been saying.

I know what you're trying to say, but still, there's no use to whine about it, you'll just have to get used to it.

I will now stop participating in this derailing discussion about what button layout does make coffee and which one makes tea.
Both are tasty and have their pros and cons, but you have to get used to either first, before you can start to appreciate it.

That's my final word in this.

Haunted

I can see how that'd be annoying.

ITT I learned that some people recognize their button prompts by letter instead of color and need to think about which position each button has on the diamond every single time.
WiiU is all about that colour coding.

Dreamcast: Y is green, B is blue, X is yellow, A is red.

Renekun

Neo Member
I don't want to be without that pad anymore. ;) It's the buttons, that make the difference compared to other tablets.

I can basically agree with the second half of your post. I love the touch screen/features, but the "controller" aspect of it, I simply can't stand.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't get why the button labels matter so much. The bottom button is still going to be the primary action button in games where X or A would be the primary action button on the PS3 or 360. That's how it's been on the SNES, the DS, the 3DS, and now the Wii U. Why does it matter if you're using B and Y as the default Jump and Attack buttons instead of A and X or X and Square?

Literally the only place the button labels matter is in menu navigation, which took me about ten minutes to adjust to even though I'm used to the way PS3 and 360 do it.

Mitsurux

The Wii U game pad is a very good controller, feels good, light but does not feel cheap.. etc the screen..etc.

But what really stands out to me is (and the op mentioned this as well):

D-pad
Only the best console d-pad since, like... ever? No annoying missing center section like the PS controllers. No abject unusable shittiness like the 360 or Gamecube pads. It's a lot like the Wii Classic Controller d-pad, but a bit smaller and a lot better.

The Dpad is really good.... responsive, feels good, great size etc. TTT2 shows how good it is.... but isn't it actually bigger the the CC's? (not home to do a quick compare)

I don't get why the button labels matter so much. The bottom button is still going to be the primary action button in games where X or A would be the primary action button on the PS3 or 360. That's how it's been on the SNES, the DS, the 3DS, and now the Wii U. Why does it matter if you're using B and Y as the default Jump and Attack buttons instead of A and X or X and Square?

Literally the only place the button labels matter is in menu navigation, which took me about ten minutes to adjust to even though I'm used to the way PS3 and 360 do it.

A used to be the confirm button back in the day, with B as cancel. For most nintendo games, A still is the confirm button, but a lot of other games has B as the action/jump button, because that is how every other platform uses the controls... bottom button is chosen for the task.

So, you have Nintendo games with A as select.
You have the highly popularized 360 controller that has A at the bottom, B on the right (also cancel).
You also have the PS devices that use bottom button (X) as confirm as well.

In the end, it's just confusion that Nintendo's stuff is different.

That battery life is basically a system killer for me; I pretty regularly play games for longer than 3-4 hours a sitting. Of course, nothing on the WiiU interests me at the moment, but I'd be much more interested in a cheaper console that just came with a Pro Controller once games like Bayonetta 2 start dropping.
I know it'll never happen, let me dream

rawk

And again: taking your eyes away from the screen for a second doesn't make you instantly die horribly.

This makes me want someone to make a game where you have to drive while texting. On the TV you'll be navigating a city at high speed a la Crazy Taxi, and on the gamepad you'll be having a text conversation with an AI character. Cops are chasing you, and if you crash, you die horribly. I imagine this would be great fun and a magnet for lawsuits.

Blades64

Banned
I guess a lot of people here play games 3-4 hrs a day. Battery life is not a problem to me. I don't play games for more than 1-2 hrs a day. Just plug it in when finished.

Antagon

That battery life is basically a system killer for me; I pretty regularly play games for longer than 3-4 hours a sitting. Of course, nothing on the WiiU interests me at the moment, but I'd be much more interested in a cheaper console that just came with a Pro Controller once games like Bayonetta 2 start dropping.
I know it'll never happen, let me dream

You can play while charging the gamepad from the wall, right?

Personally I'd probably have less problems with that compared to the PS3 where you had to put the console on to charge the gamepad and you could only sit within 3 feet. Didn't have to charge often, but the charging itself was a pain.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Almost everything about the Wii U pad surprised me. The screen is a bit washed out looking, but outside of that everything else about the controller exceeded my expectations. This is especially true coming off the 3DS, which I feel has the worst build quality and design of any recent Nintendo product. The face buttons are squishy, the pad is only okay, and the shoulder buttons are too small. That and the device isn't particularly comfortable to hold, and is goofy/cheap feeling and looking. The GamePad on the other hand feels really nice and solid. It's surprisingly comfortable to hold, has a good weight that feels heavy enough to sink into my hands but not so heavy it's a chore to hold, and all the buttons are glorious to press. The D-Pad is excellent, and the analogue sticks are possibly Nintendo's best. I also quite like the position of the shoulder buttons. It feels like a really sturdy piece of equipment with great tactile feedback from all the functions, and even the washed out screen looks less glitzy than most resistive touch devices.

However, the absence of analogue triggers as a bafflingly glaring omission and I don't know why some people cannot see this. Yes, when triggers are bad, they're bad. Like on the PS3 pad. I fucking hate those triggers. But when they're good, they're excellent. See: 360 pad. Those triggers are comfortable as hell, and feel amazing to squeeze. They've just the right pressure sensitivity and depth.

Fact of the matter is some games, and some gameplay mechanics, are enhanced by analogue triggers. Others have already stated them. Developers use them, because they've been a norm for this generation, and will be into the next. It's always better for a controller to maximise functionality, not just to ease in control of mechanics for ports of games built on other systems, but also to give developers the freedom to use explore those mechanics with that controller function.

Not having analogue triggers means any vehicle control in, say, a sandbox game, or racing game, will be objectively poorer on the Wii U than any other platform. That's just how it is. Less control, when greater control is intended = bad.

Had the Wii U GamePad analogue triggers it would be borderline perfect for me. Alas, Nintendo had to drop the ball on one thing.

danmaku

This makes me want someone to make a game where you have to drive while texting. On the TV you'll be navigating a city at high speed a la Crazy Taxi, and on the gamepad you'll be having a text conversation with an AI character. Cops are chasing you, and if you crash, you die horribly. I imagine this would be great fun and a magnet for lawsuits.

This is basically every GTA game if you try to drive while reading subtitles (or using the cellphone in IV).

What self respecting gamer can't adapt to a "new" interface within 5 minutes?

If It's not an enjoyable interface, I don't bother adapting. That said the Wii U controller was surprising comfortable for me when I tried it for a bit at a demo station. No analog is a big letdown but for the games I will eventually play when I buy it next year ... it won't matter much.

Pitmonkey

Not even the best Nintendo controller. Gamecube is still GOAT.

Its not bad, though.

99a649707c5d23e768b4dbc5b0b0f812.jpeg

I agree though, and I actually really am enjoying the Wii U Pro. It's surprisingly more comfortable than an Xbox 360 controller, and wider set for my big ass hands. My only complaints is the re-mapping of the ABXY buttons, still can't get used to it (although I understand why they did it).

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I've always saw the button/analog stick setup kind of opposite to the traditional setup.

For anyone that has the Wii-U have you guys had any problems with the button alignment when you play a FPS, or any other games? Is it better/worse?

Wii-U gamepad specifically*

Orayn

Third person Mech game on WiiU with the gamepad display showing the cockpit with manipulable switches and levers and monitors and shit.

Do it, Capcom.

The Capcom team that did Steel Battalion is MIA, Nude Maker who also contributed to SB is a 10 person studio, and the lead artist of it all is working with Born Ready on Strike Suit Zero.

From Software making a Chromehounds successor, however...

kinggroin

Banned
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I've always saw the button/analog stick setup kind of opposite to the traditional setup.

For anyone that has the Wii-U have you guys had any problems with the button alignment when you play a FPS, or any other games? Is it better/worse?

Wii-U gamepad specifically*

I hate it in Call of Duty and Zombi U both. However, that's primarily because I game on PC with M/K, and my most used console last gen was Wii (pointer controls).

I've adapted somewhat, but eh.

Amneisac

Whole bunch of folk forgetting about the Vita D-Pad.

Well that's not a controller, it's a handheld, and they didn't really forget about it as much as never knew what it was in the first place. I, of course, own and love my Vita and am playing through Persona 4 Golden as we speak.

ghibli99

OP: Really nice review!

I've briefly used them at work and at the various in-store kiosks, and they feel great. Love the weight, and no more tightly cramped hands. I'll eventually get a Wii U, but I'm sitting out round one.

Absolutely. I do the same for 360 and PS3 as well. Tried it before with putting both index and middle fingers on all of those triggers on the various controllers and that never ever works for me.

And the distance between the shoulder buttons on the 360 and PS3 controller are practically nil which allows for instantaneous switching. The Wii U controller is garbage for games that demand switching between them. So bad for CoD, FIFA, and Batman.

When I read the OP, I assumed he was talking about the WiiU Pro pad, not the default controller.

I appreciate what he's saying, but have my doubts due to the layout. Maybe the size could work to its advantage, though; I can imagine it being better to have your hands more spread out. The only question on my mind at the moment is if I should ever get the Pro Pad and retire my Horipad EX2... my intuition says "no" at the moment.

dwu8991

Banned
Almost everything about the Wii U pad surprised me. The screen is a bit washed out looking, but outside of that everything else about the controller exceeded my expectations. This is especially true coming off the 3DS, which I feel has the worst build quality and design of any recent Nintendo product. The face buttons are squishy, the pad is only okay, and the shoulder buttons are too small. That and the device isn't particularly comfortable to hold, and is goofy/cheap feeling and looking. The GamePad on the other hand feels really nice and solid. It's surprisingly comfortable to hold, has a good weight that feels heavy enough to sink into my hands but not so heavy it's a chore to hold, and all the buttons are glorious to press. The D-Pad is excellent, and the analogue sticks are possibly Nintendo's best. I also quite like the position of the shoulder buttons. It feels like a really sturdy piece of equipment with great tactile feedback from all the functions, and even the washed out screen looks less glitzy than most resistive touch devices.

However, the absence of analogue triggers as a bafflingly glaring omission and I don't know why some people cannot see this. Yes, when triggers are bad, they're bad. Like on the PS3 pad. I fucking hate those triggers. But when they're good, they're excellent. See: 360 pad. Those triggers are comfortable as hell, and feel amazing to squeeze. They've just the right pressure sensitivity and depth.

Fact of the matter is some games, and some gameplay mechanics, are enhanced by analogue triggers. Others have already stated them. Developers use them, because they've been a norm for this generation, and will be into the next. It's always better for a controller to maximise functionality, not just to ease in control of mechanics for ports of games built on other systems, but also to give developers the freedom to use explore those mechanics with that controller function.

Not having analogue triggers means any vehicle control in, say, a sandbox game, or racing game, will be objectively poorer on the Wii U than any other platform. That's just how it is. Less control, when greater control is intended = bad.

Had the Wii U GamePad analogue triggers it would be borderline perfect for me. Alas, Nintendo had to drop the ball on one thing.

the sticks first feel really loose until you realise that they can be used just as subtle as the gamecube sticks. and you then realise how liberating it feels compared to the stiffness of a duel stick. changing directions is so much faster now.

another thing that nintendo have done with the buttons is enclose them with braille, so that they give a small rattle feedback. which helps you know where the buttons are without looking at the game pad - genius !

Top Bottom