• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

99a649707c5d23e768b4dbc5b0b0f812.jpeg

Is this just a mock-up of an idea? This would be outstanding if real. :/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
One of the biggest surprises for me is how comfortable it is for dpad games. Mario controls incredible well with it.

Agreed. It's pretty incredible having the d-pad be a first-class citizen on a home console again, a first for Nintendo since like the SNES.

If you're used to treating the right face button as the primary one, that's fine. But I'm not, and nor are any other western console gamers who haven't been in a coma since 1995.

What are you, 13? The Nintendo layout has been standard since 1983.

And everyone who's whining about resistive screens needs to, you know, actually try playing with a Wii U controller. The touch screen works perfectly.

The face buttons seem further away from each other than any other controller. Not a negative really, just something I think I am experiencing.

KageMaru

It's hard to say, with us not knowing about the competition, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii-U pad is the most comfortable controller next gen. I typically find controllers to be too small for me. The duke, Nights pad, and DC controller were some of the most comfortable controllers for me, likely due to the larger size.

It's one of the reasons I want the system.

And the distance between the shoulder buttons on the 360 and PS3 controller are practically nil which allows for instantaneous switching. The Wii U controller is garbage for games that demand switching between them. So bad for CoD, FIFA, and Batman.

I can't speak for FIFA or Batman since I haven't played them, but using the L and R buttons for CoD works great. I've got nearly 40 hours of play on BLOPS2 and I'm finding it to be comfortable and easy to press the buttons. Sure, it was a little weird at first, like using any other new controllers for the first time, but that went away quickly. How much time have you spent with those games yourself? Maybe you just need to give it a little more time to get used to it.

AC Adapter

A lot of people grumbled about this when they saw it, but what they really were complaining about was the battery life that necessitates the adapter. However, the AC adapter itself is a great feature. It allows you to play long gaming sessions away from the TV using just the GamePad without having to worry about battery life or having to minimize brightness settings. The charging stand makes it even more convenient. And you can play while it's charging, so there's no real downside to having it.

I think you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you're praising the goddamn AC adapter. My Vita has an AMAZING AC Adapter too!! :/

Plasma

Banned
I dunno about that I can never get a proper grip on it, the analogue sticks feel a bit loose to me as well.

I don't get the importance of analog triggers. I've yet to see any game where the triggers use a gradual input vs on/off. Maybe I just don't play that specifc genre (is it really only racing), but to me its a non-issue.

The only part that bugs me is the battery life. Now, in most cases it has not been an issue as I'm done 2 to 3hrs in anyways. But on days where we're all playing, it has become a thing to play for 3-4hrs, plug in a couple hours, unplug and play for a few mores, repeat.

That is annoying and frankly I worry about the longevity of the plugs / connections / etc. (probably unnecessarily)

I also hope they put out a battery with say twice the life that can simply sit in the same exact spot without adding a ton of weight.

Concept17

Nevermind the WiiU controller, this thread made me realize people actually thought the GC controller was good.

Man that thing was a piece of shit.

It has some neat innovations, but best controller ever? I'm not really convinced yet. The flexibility between TV and pseudo-portable is nice, but if we're talking about using it strictly as a controller? I don't know. I don't find it to be the most comfortable experience.

nikatapi

Nevermind the WiiU controller, this thread made me realize people actually thought the GC controller was good.

Man that thing was a piece of shit.

I think it is one of the best controllers i've ever used.
Great triggers, nice grip, and the huge A button with the others around was a great idea.

kaiwing

I love the functionality of the controller, but is there any real way to extend the range? I'd love to be able to take it to the bedroom. Are there any Bluetooth ( that's what it uses right?) extenders I could use?

I agree though, and I actually really am enjoying the Wii U Pro. It's surprisingly more comfortable than an Xbox 360 controller, and wider set for my big ass hands. My only complaints is the re-mapping of the ABXY buttons, still can't get used to it (although I understand why they did it).

Sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to go back to assymetrical joystick placements.
Having them right above the D-pad and buttons is super comfy!

I love the functionality of the controller, but is there any real way to extend the range? I'd love to be able to take it to the bedroom. Are there any Bluetooth ( that's what it uses right?) extenders I could use?

It doesn't use BlueTooth, and there's no extender yet. It's been discussed that such a thing is possible at least theoretically, but there's nothing announced yet, and certainly nothing exists.

I don't get the importance of analog triggers. I've yet to see any game where the triggers use a gradual input vs on/off. Maybe I just don't play that specifc genre (is it really only racing), but to me its a non-issue.

Did you play Super Mario Sunshine? The thing is, lots of games could make use of analog triggers if you gave designers that option. The fact that most genres manage okay without it is not a reason to ditch analog unless analog triggers are bad for those genres (thus negating the versatility advantage), and I don't think anyone is claiming that the Gamecube's triggers, for example, didn't work for games where designers used them the same as digital buttons.

Why go with the Wii U Pro's triggers instead of the Gamecube's? I also think the Gamecube's button layout was better for the majority of games, but I can live with the standard diamond.

dwu8991

Banned

i get about 6 -8 meters

you will be able to play in your bedroom if it is close to the console in the same direction.

Nnamz

Banned
I've only played around with one for a couple of hours, and I'm also used to more traditional controllers, so take this with a grain of salt.

It is nowhere near the greatest controller. Battery life and gimmicks aside, the stick placement is horrid, the D-pad is only decent (prefer 3DS and Vita's), and it's just too bulky.

Played hours in CoD on the gamepad and pro controller and both are very solid controllers. At first, you're a little thrown off with the button placement because your thumb is used to moving to the upper right to locate the face buttons, but now you have to move to the lower left. It takes a few hours to get used to, but once you do, it's business as usual.

The gamepad is solid. It's very comfortable. The button placements are actually a little better than they are on the pro controller. The analog sticks feel good and click well. The buttons are fine, the d pad is solid.

The only knock really is the lack of analog triggers, but the only games that really take advantage of analog triggers are racing games that actually require throttle input other than full speed (racing sims, sim-like arcade racers) and that's it.

As for the shoulder L/R shoulder buttons, they work fine. I dunno how anyone really has an issue pressing them when holding the gamepad with your index fingers primarily on the ZL/ZR triggers. You don't need to put the tips of your finger on it. Simply slide your index finger up 10mm and you'll be able to hit the rounded edges of the L/R buttons with first joint area (from tip of finger) of your finger. It's similar to the way you press the L/R buttons on the 360 pad.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
As for the shoulder L/R shoulder buttons, they work fine. I dunno how anyone really has an issue pressing them when holding the gamepad with your index fingers primarily on the ZL/ZR triggers. You don't need to put the tips of your finger on it. Simply slide your index finger up 10mm and you'll be able to hit the rounded edges of the L/R buttons with first joint area (from tip of finger) of your finger. It's similar to the way you press the L/R buttons on the 360 pad.

Its just far enough that there is a both a noticeable delay in moving your finger, and a little time where you have to think about where your fingers are, that you wouldn't have on any of the controllers of the past. Both things you'd rather not do in any compeditive twitch based game.

JaseMath

I agree though, and I actually really am enjoying the Wii U Pro. It's surprisingly more comfortable than an Xbox 360 controller, and wider set for my big ass hands. My only complaints is the re-mapping of the ABXY buttons, still can't get used to it (although I understand why they did it).

I'd pay big money for this.

v1oz

People used to capacitive screens are conditioned to the idea of not actually needing to press on virtual buttons. The lightest of brushes register a touch. It drives me crazy when I use my phone, but it is considered normal to many, and having to press a button is considered abnormal.

Interesting. So the screen needs you to press a bit harder than you would on an smart phone.

Its just far enough that there is a both a noticeable delay in moving your finger, and a little time where you have to think about where your fingers are, that you wouldn't have on any of the controllers of the past. Both things you'd rather not do in any compeditive twitch based game.

Well, if you're playing a competitive twitch game, you ain't playing it on the Wii U.. ZING!

Nah, but seriously, it's not that big of an issue. It's a minor adjustment to make, but it's definitely a knock against it for sure since it's an awkward feel at first. It's something you have to get used to. I had the same issue with the 360 shoulders at first because i was so used to pressing the R1/L1 closer to the center of the controller and that's where it's hinged on the 360, so it doesn't press down correctly unless you press on the edges. That might be why i'm more used to it and i have larger hands than regular people.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm certainly loving it. The screen is really good, pad is comfortable and light and i've just become addicted to it

Spazznid

Does anybody else really love having a big A button, like the gamecube? It's something I always miss.

I miss it.

It was designed to pretty much put emphasis on the buttons you'd be pressing the most.

Gamecube was my second favorite controller of all time.

Dualshock is my first favorite.

Either of them with a dpad as glorious as the Vita's is legendary in my book.

360 pad is ok, but I won't rank it because I think after first and second, it'd be tied with a few others.

I would pay some mad cash (As in full, Name-Brand, Nintendo-Made price) for this controller, although, something like this would be much more preferred...

wiiuclassic2.png

Credits go to Lurkalot on IGN forums.

Also, I'd like the c-stick to be a nub like the original. They can make it a wider nub, but the C-stick was an important part of Smash bros for some players. Then again, the regular joystick may just take some getting used to. I've played smash with a 360 controller and a Dualshock one.

Also I'd have a heart attack if there was a Legacy controller like this bundled officially with the Super Smash Brothers U Collector's Edition or something.

Also found this interesting...
sGpN2.png

Credist to Kdub from the Racketboy Forums. (I think)

Every time I see the gamecube layout, I can't help but feel jaded about the inferior diamond setup we are still rocking just to appease people who hate change. Maybe in another life I suppose.

Spazznid

Every time I see the gamecube layout, I can't help but feel jaded about the inferior diamond setup we are still rocking just to appease people who hate change. Maybe in another life I suppose.

GameCube Controller looks fun and dynamic, but nowadays everything has to be symmetrical and straight forward. If Nintendo or an offshoot company doesn't make a Wii U GCN Legacy Controller, then someone else will. And if they don't, then I'll be mighty tempted to learn about modding controllers.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Non-diamond setup would be complete jank for 2D Mario, glad they changed it.

Boss Man

Sorry, but I don't think I'll be able to go back to assymetrical joystick placements.
Having them right above the D-pad and buttons is super comfy!

Hold your hands out in front of you as if you are holding a controller, with your palms towards you.

Move your thumbs down.

Move your thumbs up.

Which is easier?

heyf00L

They really should have done analog triggers (I mean the GameCube had them), but what are analog triggers good for other than racing?

Hiltz

Does anybody else really love having a big A button, like the gamecube? It's something I always miss.

Absolutely. It was great to have on the GameCube as well as the Wii remote controllers. I hope Nintendo brings it back in the future.

I love the controller. Besides that plastic noise I get when squeezing the left side it's perfect. I just really hope they allow more than one soon and I want the option to buy more. I'm afraid it will break someday and I won't even have a replacement.

And yes, I love the Duke as well. Damn shame all my cords got that shredded plastic right above the controller as I vastly preferred them to the S.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Regarding the limited battery life. I wonder if this is Nintendo's subtle way of combatting game addiction/insanely long gaming sessions? They've done this before with the Brain Age games, in which your results are only recorded once a day, discouraging long play sessions.

pulga

Banned
Havent read the thread, but I wanted to say nice OP. Thanks for the impressions, its making the wait to buy one a bit harder.

This would be better if the triggers were symmetrical (on top), the d-pad was usable, and it was shaped like a 360 controller.
Boy have I got the controller for you!

Edit: the only people who like the GameCube button layout are crazy people. The only time it worked well was in Wind Waker. This is totally fact!

GavinGT

Banned
What are you, 13? The Nintendo layout has been standard since 1983.

So a console only gamer should be accustomed to a scheme that's been unused since SNES simply because it was introduced first? All I've been saying is it's off putting to anyone that doesn't own a DS or 3DS. A lot of people aren't used to the right face button being the primary input on their consoles. You'd know where I stand if you read more than a single comment in a 500 post discussion.

Top Bottom