• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U pad might be the best controller ever

Mael

Please tell me you aren't serious? In GTA you very regularly have to drive through traffic. Can you drive? If so, next time you're in traffic trying driving and using your accelerator and brake either 100% on or all the off. I look forward to the results.

Yeah, no.
In the same way that GTA IV have a laughable story, the driving is absolutely aweful, traffic or no traffic, full speed ahead or not.

What's a bit vague? I've just explained my issue with it and compared it to something better specifically...

Something better?
I've tried the S1, S2, S3, the Note, some iphones and the xperias, I can tell you that only the Note is any good at drawing anything.
They're better at handling a virtual keyboard but unless you're playing typing of the dead it's useless anyway.

There's one in the pipeline but I doubt there'll be many, given the lack of analogue triggers.

We'll see how it handle this, funnily enough you're saying the classic controller is better at this than the pad?

This topic is proclaiming it as the best controller ever, not the best controller for the current library.

Well I'd argue that considering the proclamation of the DS and 360 as competent controllers despite them being absolutely awful for any fps.

BearPawB

Banned
That is because the 360 is pretty much perfect.
Comfortable, good triggers.

Fighting game fans will tell you the d-pad sucks. That may be the case, i don't think i've ever used it as the primary mode of input.

I hope with the 720 the only change is improving the Dpad

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Mech game on WiiU with the gamepad display showing cockpit view with manipulable switches and levers and monitors and shit.

The Kinect one failed so do it, Capcom.

or maybe steel diver U, give it some giant first party christmas push and come out with some down-to-the-rivet sub sim which makes silent hunter look like mario kart and pack in an entire living room's worth of plastic shit to turn your home in to an accurate replica of U-571. replace that errant casual base with eurojank beard aficionados.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it is very comfortable, but I find my fingers naturally rest with my index fingers on the ZL/ZR buttons. If I need to reach the L/R shoulder buttons I need to twist my hands up a little and it isn't very comfortable.

Also I find that if I rest my fingers on the analog sticks, I can't easily reach the ABXY buttons, it takes a more significant movement than on PS3/360 where its a simple left/right motion. Shouldn't be too much of an issue in games hopefully, usually the action buttons OR the stick are the primary inputs, not both at once.

Lastly, when playing NSBMU with the analog pad, I found myself crouching a lot. Partly thats because NSMBU crouches when you're barely off horizontal, but it also means that I was slightly pulling the left stick down slightly when trying to move straight left/right. Perhaps a result of it being so high up? Not a big deal on NSMBU (just use the dpad), but hopefully it won't be annoying in future games.

overall though it is comfortable. I hope any touch controls are limited to the left/right edges of the screen, as I can't naturally reach the middle without removing one hand from the gamepad which is uncomfortable (I have the same issue with Vita)

Mael

360 has one configuration, as does the PS3 and the WiiU also has something different. There is no standard. Or are you going to bring the Onlive controller into this?

If anything is standard that would be DS, that may be the sole setup that is seen on more than 1 platform

kinggroin

Banned
it is very comfortable, but I find my fingers naturally rest with my index fingers on the ZL/ZR buttons. If I need to reach the L/R shoulder buttons I need to twist my hands up a little and it isn't very comfortable.

Also I find that if I rest my fingers on the analog sticks, I can't easily reach the ABXY buttons, it takes a more significant movement than on PS3/360 where its a simple left/right motion. Shouldn't be too much of an issue in games hopefully, usually the action buttons OR the stick are the primary inputs, not both at once.

Lastly, when playing NSBMU with the analog pad, I found myself crouching a lot. Partly thats because NSMBU crouches when you're barely off horizontal, but it also means that I was slightly pulling the left stick down slightly when trying to move straight left/right. Perhaps a result of it being so high up? Not a big deal on NSMBU (just use the dpad), but hopefully it won't be annoying in future games.

overall though it is comfortable. I hope any touch controls are limited to the left/right edges of the screen, as I can't naturally reach the middle without removing one hand from the gamepad which is uncomfortable (I have the same issue with Vita)

On that last part, I really like how in zombie u, the flashlight/paddle/gun/sonar thingy, are at the edge of the display. My muscle memory is such that I don't usually look down to toggle/use those things.

GavinGT

Banned
360 has one configuration, as does the PS3 and the WiiU also has something different. There is no standard. Or are you going to bring the Onlive controller into this?

Three consoles have explicitly used the ABYX configuration (Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360). No console since SNES has used the BAXY one. Genesis, N64, and Gamecube had unique schemes, but all had A as the primary face button and the bottom-most face button on the controller. For someone like me who hasn't played a handheld since Game Boy, the Wii U scheme is totally foreign. And for Wii U to have the A button on the right but still use it as the 'Confirm' button in menus is even stranger to me.

Mael

He's saying consoles in order to exclude the DS since it would hinder his argument.

By DS I mean Dual Shock not Dual Screen.

Three consoles have explicitly used the ABYX configuration (Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360). No console since SNES has used the BAXY one. Genesis, N64, and Gamecube had unique schemes, but all had A as the primary face button and the bottom-most face button on the controller. For someone like me who hasn't played a handheld since Game Boy, the Wii U scheme is totally foreign. And for them to have the A button on the right but still use it as the 'Confirm' button in menus is even stranger to me.

There's probably more people who have touched a DS than a DC/xbox and 360 combined.
So I don't know why you're on the mind that the SNES layout is some obscure thing no one would know.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Three consoles have explicitly used the ABYX configuration (Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360). No console since SNES has used the BAXY one. Genesis, N64, and Gamecube had unique schemes, but all had A as the primary face button and the bottom-most face button on the controller. For someone like me who hasn't played a handheld since Game Boy, the Wii U scheme is totally foreign.

I told you earlier the Gamecube used it, just at a 45° angle. Also the Wii used it with the classic controller. The most you can argue is that you're not used to it, but on the flip side I'm not used to the 360's because I played the SNES a lot as a child (and still play it to this day). Nintendo didn't go against a standard since there has never been one.

wsippel

Banned
Three consoles have explicitly used the ABYX configuration (Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360). No console since SNES has used the BAXY one. Genesis, N64, and Gamecube had unique schemes, but all had A as the primary face button and the bottom-most face button on the controller. For someone like me who hasn't played a handheld since Game Boy, the Wii U scheme is totally foreign. And for them to have the A button on the right but still use it as the 'Confirm' button in menus is even stranger to me.
Actually, the Gamecube had the same confirm/ cancel layout. A is confirm, B is back, B is below and to the left. And I guess you've forgotten the Wii Classic Controller, GBA, DS, DSi and 3DS or something, which all use the same layout and naming scheme.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Three consoles have explicitly used the ABYX configuration (Dreamcast, Xbox, Xbox 360). No console since SNES has used the BAXY one.
... and the Wii Classic Controller...
... and the DS and DSi
... and the 3DS
... and the Wii U
... and the Game Cube partially uses it, with the B A layout (also seen on the NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and Virtual Boy.)

More game systems have used BA than have used AB.

This is true even if you remove handhelds from the equation.

Really, all you can argue is that Microsoft uses AB, XY... but it's hard to argue that's the standard when the MS-only devices are a drop in the bucket compared to the alternatives.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
It feels good in my hands. I like the fact that they aligned the d-pad and buttons together. The triggers should have been analogue - it is standard in the industry today and didn't need to be brushed aside. Did Nintendo forget about the time they made that sexy GC controller?

I have zero issues with the screen. Resistive, superlative, whatever. My own experience says that it works when I need to stylus it up or touch it with a lazy finger and that is all I care about.

But the best thing about it is picking it up and putting it wherever I want with the game running. I feel sorry for those who can't get it at a fair distance to their designated rooms. Nothing is more grand than waking up on a day off, booting up the console via gamepad in bed, and play something. This handheld heart of mine beats lovingly.

P.S. battery life could use a boost, but I'm not going to throw babies down an empty well in anger about it.

I'm super impressed by it. One thing I've noticed from playing Zombi U is that this is the first controller where I'm happy to use four fingers for the shoulder buttons, as opposed to the other controllers where I use my two index fingers and switch them back and forth for the triggers and bumpers. Seemed weird at first but now it's becoming natural cos of the bigger gap on the gamepad between the triggers and bumpers.

Also was surprised how well the d-pad works with NSMBU. Thought it felt a little lacking after using the Vita d-pad recently, but it's actually very good once you spend a bit of time playing something.

Haunted

I'm super impressed by it. One thing I've noticed from playing Zombi U is that this is the first controller where I'm happy to use four fingers for the shoulder buttons, as opposed to the other controllers where I use my two index fingers and switch them back and forth for the triggers and bumpers. Seemed weird at first but now it's becoming natural cos of the bigger gap on the gamepad between the triggers and bumpers.

Also was surprised how well the d-pad works with NSMBU. Thought it felt a little lacking after using the Vita d-pad recently, but it's actually very good once you spend a bit of time playing something.
That is something I forgot to mention in my first post here. While playing the FIFA 13 demo, I actually used middle and index fingers at the same time, something that's just impossible to do on other controllers. The increased size and the backridge makes it a surprisingly natural position for your fingers.

I don't know how useful it'll be, but even making that viable is an achievement.

GavinGT

Banned
... and the DS and DSi
... and the 3DS
... and the Wii U
... and the Game Cube partially uses it, with the B A layout (also seen on the NES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, and Virtual Boy.)

Really, all you can argue is that Microsoft uses AB, XY... but it's hard to argue that's the standard when the MS-only devices are a drop in the bucket compared to the alternatives.

We can argue about the different control schemes all day, but the crux of my complaint is that western console gamers have been conditioned to expect where to find the primary action button. Moving it from the bottom position in the diamond layout to the right position goes against years of that conditioning. It is a difficult transition for me to make, made even more difficult by the fact that I play a lot of 360/PS3 games.

Haunted

We can argue about the different control schemes all day, but the crux of my complaint is that western console gamers have been conditioned to expect where to find the primary action button. Moving it from the bottom position in the diamond layout to the right position goes against years of that conditioning. It is a difficult transition for me to make, made even more difficult by the fact that I play a lot of 360/PS3 games.
O (right) to confirm and X (bottom) to cancel is the Japanese Sony standard and it's always been weird to me.

dyergram

Would be great if you could put tv through the pad while playing a game. I haven't made my mind up about the pad yet .

The Pad is wonderful for Call of Duty, but the Pro + Pad combination is just amazing to me. I think they've done a stellar job on the shape of both the Pro and the Pad. The known complaints with the Pad - vibrate/rumble, battery life - don't detract from the fact that its a giant screen and a great controller that has lower latency over wireless than my TV does over HDMI.

I'll be buying comparative exclusives on the Wii U due to the comfort of the controllers. Fucks given about losing out on achievements, etc = zilcho.

I have a question and here is as good a place to ask as any.

I just discovered how neat YouTube looks on Wii U. But is there a way to prepare new videos to play while playing a video? Without the menu getting on the tv? I mean, the GamePad seems perfect for this, me searching new videos while the rest can watch videos on tv.

Somnid

The crux of your argument is it's not 360. Despite decades of Nintendo using the labeling on hundreds of millions of devices since the cross face button concept was invented in the early 90s by Nintendo you seem to think there's any reason for them to change.

O (right) to confirm and X (bottom) to cancel is the Japanese Sony standard and it's always been weird to me.

It makes much more sense once you realise that O is the Japanese way of marking things that are correct, while X is for marking things that are incorrect.
Just like we set a tick when something is correct.

I have a question and here is as good a place to ask as any.

I just discovered how neat YouTube looks on Wii U. But is there a way to prepare new videos to play while playing a video? Without the menu getting on the tv? I mean, the GamePad seems perfect for this, me searching new videos while the rest can watch videos on tv.

You could always use the internet browser for this. You can stream videos in 1080p from there too, you don't have to necessarily use the app, although it is pretty convenient and streams in 1080p by default.

GavinGT

Banned
The crux of your argument is it's not 360. Despite decades of Nintendo using the labeling on hundreds of millions of devices since the cross face button concept was invented in the early 90s by Nintendo you seem to think there's any reason for them to change.

If you're used to treating the right face button as the primary one, that's fine. But I'm not, and nor are any other western console gamers who haven't been in a coma since 1995.

Septimius

... and the DS and DSi
... and the 3DS
... and the Wii U

This reminds me that it was a clusterfuck trying to play lute in Fable III on the 360. It's so engrained in me that (look at it as a diamond) yellow is bottom, red is right, green is left and blue is top.

Mael

If you're used to treating the right face button as the primary one, that's fine. But I'm not, and nor are any other western console gamers who haven't been in a coma since 1995.

West = USA?
And who died and made you the voice of western console gamers?

Come on, cool down a bit, who really cares about what button layout is the "right" one?
It's a matter of preference. If you prefer the 360 layout, that's okay. That doesn't make the Nintendo layout wrong in any way.

Mountains and mole hills and all that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Despite the number of western gamers in this thread?

You could always use the internet browser for this. You can stream videos in 1080p from there too, you don't have to necessarily use the app, although it is pretty convenient and streams in 1080p by default.

Ah so its only possible with the browser and not with the official app, am I correct?

I play enough Nintendo systems that I adapt to the Nintendo layout without thinking about it, even though most of my time is spent with the 360. It might be a little bit more of a hurdle if you don't use Nintendo systems much, but there's something wrong if it's really that big a deal.

GavinGT

Banned
West = USA?
And who died and made you the voice of western console gamers?

By "west" I mean USA and Europe.

Come on, cool down a bit, who really cares about what button layout is the "right" one?
It's a matter of preference. If you prefer the 360 layout, that's okay. That doesn't make the Nintendo layout wrong in any way.

Mountains and mole hills and all that.

I was using the word "right" in the spatial sense.

Despite the number of western gamers in this thread?

Who are used to the Wii U scheme because they own DSs and 3DSs? I'm talking about console gamers. I guess I should emphasize again that I'm speaking of console only gamers.

Mael

By "west" I mean USA and Europe.

Even worse then, as far as continental Europe goes DS outsold everything by a wide margin (it's the biggest territory for Nintendo in that field so much that when the downturn hit Europe, Ncl stock took a dive) and the 360 is the thing that tries to be a ps3.
Seriously if you're including Europe you might as well discard the ABXY part of the discussion and start talking about Circle, Cross, Triangle, Square.

Who are used to the Wii U scheme because they own DSs and 3DSs? I'm talking about console gamers. I guess I should emphasize again that I'm speaking of console only gamers.

You better provide evidence that you're not only talking about people who never touched a system designed by someone in Kyoto then.
e : (that's embarrassing typo)

Top Bottom