• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsippel

Banned
Lucid is a very small studio. They use UE3 and are hiring level designers and character artists. Whatever they're working on most likely isn't a racing game.

aeroslash

Lucid is a very small studio. They use UE3 and are hiring level designers and character artists. Whatever they're working on most likely isn't a racing game.

Dreams shatered...

EDIT: Did the rumor state that there would be no licenced vehicles? That would be shitty for a competitor to GT and Forza..

Since Tuesday is drawing near already, I would like to follow E3 conference streaming on my Wii - by the way I gather a similar service will be available for Xbox360 in the next days -, and I hope they will address this issue on WiiU.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Why would people even believe the rumor if part of it was that it wouldn't have licensed vehicles?

The rumor was that it would be concept cars. Which works really. Especially in a Project Gotham styled racer. I really hope this exists somehow. Love me some PGR.

aeroslash

Why would people even believe the rumor if part of it was that it wouldn't have licensed vehicles?

I don't know, i just googled it and the rumor stated there wouldn't be any licenced cars. It stated that you could build your own car made of different available parts on the game.

The rumor was that it would be concept cars. Which works really. Especially in a Project Gotham styled racer. I really hope this exists somehow. Love me some PGR.

It may work in a game like Project Gotham, yes. But that is not a competitor to Forza and GT then.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It may work in a game like Project Gotham, yes. But that is not a competitor to Forza and GT then.

Well it's a much closer competitor than Mario Kart or Baby Yoshi Racing. Yikes. Just take it. If it exists it will be awesome.

It's a tough rumor. For one, it isn't your typical fake Nintendo fanbaby rumor (paul gale, etc). "We have sources Retro Studios is making Metroid Pinnacle. Star Fox Redemption. Star Tropics: Mike Jone's Deception. SEGA is making F-Zero Revolution. Square-Enix is making a Niintendo vs Square RPG. Capcom is making Nintendo vs Capcom.

You know. Your basic lazy rumor. This one took some work as it search the bowels of developers for a very believeable project. It seems they just started hiring designers for another project actually. But yes, they seem small. But I also can't imagine multiple programmers from PGR3/PGR4 not making a racing game as one of the "several contracts" they sold.

Why? PC is the best place for it.

I have made most of my posts on GAF with my Wii - incidently righ now as well -, and for some time I have been using Wii Opera - to check incoming mail, post on GAF, watch Youtube videos and so on - much more than my PC, that I just seldom turn on, and only if strictly necessary.

I am aware I'm the odd one here - although I bet there are some other blokes around with habits akin to mine - and of course I'm not saying Wii Opera is better than PC, yet Nintendo could have provided at least some web address that could stream the conference on Wii, incidently Kirby channel runs smoothly on my TV with no lag at all and nice video quality, so as far as I'm concerned I might do as well watching tuesday's conference just like that; I'm not expecting everyone else to support WiiOpera but at least Nintendo should give the best possible support for most devices and especially its own ones, on this matter Microsoft has been ahead of its time, and I reckon web-TV features in general will be much more commonplace in the foreseeable future.

aeroslash

Well it's a much closer competitor than Mario Kart or Baby Yoshi Racing. Yikes. Just take it. If it exists it will be awesome.

It's a tough rumor. For one, it isn't your typical fake Nintendo fanbaby rumor (paul gale, etc). "We have sources Retro Studios is making Metroid Pinnacle. Star Fox Redemption. Star Tropics: Mike Jone's Deception. SEGA is making F-Zero Revolution. Square-Enix is making a Niintendo vs Square RPG. Capcom is making Nintendo vs Capcom.

You know. Your basic lazy rumor. This one took some work as it search the bowels of developers for a very believeable project. It seems they just started hiring designers for another project actually. But yes, they seem small. But I also can't imagine multiple programmers from PGR3/PGR4 not making a racing game as one of the "several contracts" they sold.

Let's hope it.

Anyway, a game with no licenced cars, won't gain any market share to GT or Forza. People who buy those games are passionate drivers or people who want to drive a Ferrari. Neither GT nor Forza would be where they are without licenced cars and tracks. Even Project Gotham, being a little less realistic, had licenced cars..

D_prOdigy

I have made most of my posts on GAF with my Wii - incidently righ now as well -, and for some time I have been using Wii Opera - to check incoming mail, post on GAF, watch Youtube videos and so on - much more than my PC, that I just seldom turn on, and only if strictly necessary.

I am aware I'm the odd one here - although I bet there are some other blokes around with habits akin to mine - and of course I'm not saying Wii Opera is better than PC, yet Nintendo could have provided at least some web address that could stream the conference on Wii, incidently Kirby channel runs smoothly on my TV with no lag at all and nice video quality, so as far as I'm concerned I might do as well watching tuesday's conference just like that; I'm not expecting everyone else to support WiiOpera but at least Nintendo should give the best possible support for most devices and especially its own ones, on this matter Microsoft has been ahead of its time, and I reckon web-TV features in general will be much more commonplace in the foreseeable future.

My Wii web browser is by far my most used bit of software, at about 500 hours. Just so easy and quick to boot the Wii up every morning and check my usual sites.

Similar situation with my 3DS now - the browser it absolute bliss for mobile Twitter.

pulga said:
Do you guys think Nintendo will follow Sony's lead (console-wise speaking) in enabling the Wii U for 3DTVs? With the 3DS they've shown they value 3D, do you think they will extend it to the living room, considering all the added hardware consumers will need?
I believe Iwata has already been asked about this. Didn't sound like they'd make a big deal about it, but wouldn't go out of their way to prevent what's now a standard HDMI feature. Considering the growing number of PS360 games that use it, it would be super stupid for Wii U to not be able to. So at the least I'd expect it from games like Arkham City, Call of Duty, and Assassin's Creed which were 3D on other platforms last year.

My Wii web browser is by far my most used bit of software, at about 500 hours. Just so easy and quick to boot the Wii up every morning and check my usual sites.

Similar situation with my 3DS now - the browser it absolute bliss for mobile Twitter.

I've just checked, I'm nearly at 7.000 hours, I am not kidding lol!

Yeah, WiiOpera is very quick to boot and ideal when you wake up in the morning and want to check just a couple of websites before going out, it runs silently and has low energy consumption compared to my old PC, too bad it has a lot of limitations, anyway I am expecting WiiU browser will have a more decent support.

Luigison

Not wiiu but still interesting to post it here i think because of the small information we receive today.

A patent from Nintendo reveals a new way to control the 3DS?

medium.jpg

medium-1.jpg

medium-2.jpg

It looks like the gears are moving in the minds of the Nintendo developers. A new patent was recently filed to create a new input method on the 3DS. What is so special about a new input method, you ask? It does not require any sort of physical contact with the 3DS at all!

The input method will allow the player to manipulate the top screen, yes the top screen, with a stylus. The stylus will sport a type of “marker” that the inward facing camera can detect. The camera will then calculate the marker’s position and use that information to cause a reaction on the screen. A very awesome feature is that the player can manipulate where an object is located within the 3D screen by simply moving the marker closer or further from the screen. It also seems that the exterior camera will be getting the same treatment, which is perfect for games using Augmented reality.

http://www.infendo.com/a-patent-from...-the-3ds/#more
I've seen the first image with the vibrating sytlus, but didn't think it was very important. The second two images and the ability to manipulate objects in 3D with the cameras is a very big deal. Thanks for the post.

It'd be nice if the Wii U controller had 3D and could do this as well.

I was talking about it being a sim racer. A big part of that market is in the licensed cars. The nostalgia for gearheads. That isn't' going to be achieved through fictional cars the look like real cars. It's like a kit car vs. the real thing. For arcade racers it's much more acceptable to have fictional cars since the focus is less on real world performance.

Portugeezer

Zelda probably won't be 60 FPS, but in my opinion 60 FPS isn't necessary for its kind of gameplay.

Mario and all the other "art style over polygon-texture-and-shader-madness" games from Nintendo will be 60 FPS I think.

Zelda is rarely 60fps, I can't remember any 60fps unless it was 2D or on handhelds. I agree, it's about puzzles, exploration, etc, 60fps wouldn't be a huge benefit.

Portugeezer

I've seen the first image with the vibrating sytlus, but didn't think it was very important. The second two images and the ability to manipulate objects in 3D with the cameras is a very big deal. Thanks for the post.

It'd be nice if the Wii U controller had 3D and could do this as well.

I just fear, for the 3DS at least, that the processing and camera is too slow, there will be a lot of lag if this tech is used on 3DS.

jacksrb

You absolutely do.

NSMB team (2009) ---> NSMB Mii, NSMB 2
Wii Sports Resort Team (2009) ----> Mii Something and another Mii Something?
Big Brain Academy (2007) / New Play Control Pikmin (2008) -----------? Pikmin 3
Animal Crossing Team -----> More Animal Crossing

EAD Tokyo Group No. 1 ------> Mysterious Project??
EAD Tokyoi Group No. 2-----> This is the galaxy team.. and you will have to wait to see something. Too much mario from the guys above.
Nintendo SPD / Wii Relax -------> It lives????
Nintendo SPD / WarioWare --------> Maybe?????

RetroStudios ---------> Probably Metroid Prime.. without the Metroid and more sales
NST -----------> A game for 3DS or Wii U

And more first-party games from other developers ;)

Did the Wii Sports Team build the Chase Mii and Battle Mii demos for last year? Those looked like a lot of fun.

Also, what teams built the 3DS included software (FaceRaiders, AR Card games)?

Lastly, do you think the people who did the 3DS eShop and OS will be ready for launch with the Wii U

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Did the Wii Sports Team build the Chase Mii and Battle Mii demos for last year? Those looked like a lot of fun.

Pretty much. And then those Wii Sports, Wii Play games you saw on video right. That is probably them too unless they handed those to another team. Hard to say what games will come out of that. Will they release Wii U Sports at launch or later. Iwata seems to want that out later. So maybe a new Mii game and Wii Play?

Also, what teams built the 3DS included software (FaceRaiders, AR Card games)?

That is Software Development & Design Department.

Lastly, do you think the people who did the 3DS eShop and OS will be ready for launch with the Wii U

The OS and 3DShop people are different. But eitherway I mean they are just building on top of their prior work so something will be ready. I just hope Nintendo does partner with other companies to provide a more expansive front end on both.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
God, this weekend is going to go soooo slow. I was hoping for a nice leak/announcement yesterday to get me through the weekend.

Since Tuesday is drawing near already, I would like to follow E3 conference streaming on my Wii - by the way I gather a similar service will be available for Xbox360 in the next days -, and I hope they will address this issue on WiiU.
Not live, but they did have the conference available on the Nintendo channel on wii last year. I think it was posted the next day

Hey guys what's been the best pre E3 Nintendo related podcast so far? I have a long drive today and I'd like to listen to one on the way.

chris3116

So some developers doesn't want to develop for wiiu because it's difficult to develop for?

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/02/developer-we-wont-be-working-on-wii-u-due-to-its-complexities/

Wait, wasn't the PS3 harder to develop for and yet SOMEHOW Sony is able to manage getting third party support?

Article FAIL!

Awful article. They already bring some pathetic excuses again. That's why I really don't care on huge 3rd party american games unless you are Blizzard or Valve and they are primary PC developers.

Nintendo should give up on these developers. Just make their own ecosystem with their 1st/2n party games, moneyhat some Japanese games, make a good system for indies and get the mainstream big 3rd party multiplatform games.

MDX

was checking out that emilyrogersblog

And was reminded of this:

“It is a ‘unique’ machine (speaking of the DS), so not everybody will understand it right away. There might only be 10 to 15 people applauding during its unveiling at E3, but they’ll understand it once they touch it. At the least, it should serve as a hint towards [our] next-generation console

-Satoru Iwata, GameSpot translation (March 1, 2004)

Source: http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=515

That was two years before the Wii. It looks like Nintendo didnt want to take
a risk with a screen on the controller, and probably a higher specced console, and opted for the lower specced Wii, and motion controls instead as a white test box.

a risk with a screen on the controller, and probably a higher specced console, and opted for the lower specced Wii, and motion controls instead as a white test box.

You could argue that they kind of followed up on this promise with the Wii too. While it didn't have the screen on the controller, it was more than just a new box with a spec bump. It offered an entirely new way to interact with a video game, much the same way the DS did when it launched.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

there are also hints from Iwata that Nintendo was thinking about a controller with a screen even before the Wii was unveiled. I remember an E3 where Iwata was talking about the idea of changing the relationship between controller, screen and console in a way that seemed to suggest you would be able to operate your controller away from the television.
(this was probably e3 2005).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I always thought Iwata was referring to how a stylus to a touch screen is a similar input to a pointer to your TV.

So I had my fifth (I think?) E3 dream  last night.

I was on my bed, watching the conferences. First was Microsoft,s and I remember all they did was have kinect demos and kids pretending to play them. At one point, the screen switched from the game, to a video of a football game (irl) and it exposed Microsoft as frauds, since they were showing a video tape of someone previously playing. (lol)

I don't remember much about Sony's conference, but I remember it being awesome. There was a cool Last of Us gameplay video and some cool Vita announcements that I can't remember...

Then I watched Nintendo's conference, and oh man. It was just batshit insane. Iwata comes out on stage, and introduces the finalWii U console, which looks like a rectangle, has curves the go up on the side, has a wierd built in stand, and looks like it was almost as big as the original PS3.

Iwata then says that for now, they will talk about 3DS games. The audience boos and I remember hearing someone saying that Nintendo was doomed. The 3Ds reel shows mostly old games, but it shows Zelda 3DS and F-Zero 3DS (I'm not even into the F-Zero franchise! Lol)

Miyamoto comes out on stage and introduces his new IP on Wii U while standing in front of two bags of garbage, one of which is tilted over and actually have garbage everywhere. He says his new IP is "Street Cred" but before he explains further, Reggie comes out with a check in his hand and asks "How much would you pay to have this garbage?"

The audience looks dumbfounded. Before anyone can answer, Kaz comes out and says "I wouldn't pay a cent for this shit!" then, audience members have to physically restrain him from going on stage, and fighting Reggie. Reggie starts laughing.

Bill Gates comes up and Reggie asks "How much would you pay?" Bill looks at Reggie then looks at Kaz, shakes his head  and says "I don't wanna be apart of this anymore." and walks out've the conference room.

The dream then goes back to me, where I check NeoGAF and see threads such as "Street Cred is garbage" "Nintendo isn't worth any money" and "Kaz is da man"

Then I wake up, bite myself to make sure I am awake. I am glad that E3 didn't turn out that way but now I fear for Nintendo. I hope they don't bring any garbage on the stage.

PS: I bite myself instead of pinch, and quite often since alot of times I do now know I am dreaming. A few days ago, I dreamt that I was driving in the passenger seat of a old car that that we used to have, and I was thinking "What am I doing here?" so I bit myself and didn't feel anything, so I thought "okay, I am in a dream." very camly, and then just set in the car for like two minutes straight until I woke up. It was kinda eerie, but kinda cool that I could do that in a dream.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
So I had my fifth (I think?) E3 dream  last night.

I was on my bed, watching the conferences. First was Microsoft,s and I remember all they did was have kinect demos and kids pretending to play them. At one point, the screen switched from the game, to a video of a football game (irl) and it exposed Microsoft as frauds, since they were showing a video tape of someone previously playing. (lol)

I don't remember much about Sony's conference, but I remember it being awesome. There was a cool Last of Us gameplay video and some cool Vita announcements that I can't remember...

Then I watched Nintendo's conference, and oh man. It was just batshit insane. Iwata comes out on stage, and introduces the finalWii U console, which looks like a rectangle, has curves the go up on the side, has a wierd built in stand, and looks like it was almost as big as the original PS3.

Iwata then says that for now, they will talk about 3DS games. The audience boos and I remember hearing someone saying that Nintendo was doomed. The 3Ds reel shows mostly old games, but it shows Zelda 3DS and F-Zero 3DS (I'm not even into the F-Zero franchise! Lol)

Miyamoto comes out on stage and introduces his new IP on Wii U while standing in front of two bags of garbage, one of which is tilted over and actually have garbage everywhere. He says his new IP is "Street Cred" but before he explains further, Reggie comes out with a check in his hand and asks "How much would you pay to have this garbage?"

The audience looks dumbfounded. Before anyone can answer, Kaz comes out and says "I wouldn't pay a cent for this shit!" then, audience members have to physically restrain him from going on stage, and fighting Reggie. Reggie starts laughing.

Bill Gates comes up and Reggie asks "How much would you pay?" Bill looks at Reggie then looks at Kaz, shakes his head  and says "I don't wanna be apart of this anymore." and walks out've the conference room.

The dream then goes back to me, where I check NeoGAF and see threads such as "Street Cred is garbage" "Nintendo isn't worth any money" and "Kaz is da man"

Then I wake up, bite myself to make sure I am awake. I am glad that E3 didn't turn out that way but now I fear for Nintendo. I hope they don't bring any garbage on the stage.

PS: I bite myself instead of pinch, and quite often since alot of times I do now know I am dreaming. A few days ago, I dreamt that I was driving in the passenger seat of a old car that that we used to have, and I was thinking "What am I doing here?" so I bit myself and didn't feel anything, so I thought "okay, I am in a dream." very camly, and then just set in the car for like two minutes straight until I woke up. It was kinda eerie, but kinda cool that I could do that in a dream.

awesome dream! I remember having lots of those lucid-type dreams when I was a kid! I always got a kick out of realizing I was dreaming :-D

The other day I had a dream about Miyamoto's new IP - it was a cross between the flying levels of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Jet Set Radio!

MDX

there are also hints from Iwata that Nintendo was thinking about a controller with a screen even before the Wii was unveiled. I remember an E3 where Iwata was talking about the idea of changing the relationship between controller, screen and console in a way that seemed to suggest you would be able to operate your controller away from the television.
(this was probably e3 2005).

This is why even if Sony or MS borrows the concept of the tablet controller, they wont have put in the time to flesh out all its uses and issues. Basically, Nintendo has been playing with this idea for more than 6 years.

Third parties will definately be at a disadvantage with making use of the controller compared to Nintendo first party titles.

I had a dream too. That the Wii U was going to be both a console and a tablet. That nintendo had found some way to capture both markets for the next 5 years and we will find out next week

Probably wishful thinking thou lol

Ashes

Banned
I was going to create a new thread, but I might as well ask this in here.

What do we know/is rumoured so far about wiiu online network? Paywall? Free?
Is there any chance wiiu will be open enough to let a developer create cross-platform play with ps3/ps4? or the same vice versa?
Cross platform multiplayer could be a game changer. I guess x360 is definitely out though. Shame.

Anth0ny

I keep having dreams of a Pixar quality 3D Mario and a
Retro made
Zelda title with graphics from the tech demo last year.

Now I'm expecting 3D Mario D=

Where's our Nikkei leak? I need it!

Seriously, this year has been very light on leaks on all sides. Last year you basically knew the whole conferences in advance.

Btw it's good to be back, watching these speculation Threads, seeing Ace getting banned and the whole Ideaman drama was hard to sit by in the banned corner. Good thing I'm back for E3^^

So some developers doesn't want to develop for wiiu because it's difficult to develop for?

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/02/developer-we-wont-be-working-on-wii-u-due-to-its-complexities/

Wait, wasn't the PS3 harder to develop for and yet SOMEHOW Sony is able to manage getting third party support?

Article FAIL!

Who is reading this terrible website? Their article about the Blizzard rumor is half lies, too! Since when does ANYone go to this place? Besides, it looks like they just took a free blog template, changed a picture, and called it a day.

onilink88

They can't AFFORD to water it down for more 3DS hand holding to comfort folks, who for some reason, keep freaking out and thinking any week now the thing is gonna implode and end up in Vita territory.

Who in crikey fuck ever suggested that? Relegating the 3DS' presence to a simple sizzle real would be nothing but a clear demonstration of myopic business acumen in the handheld market. It just seems like a bad idea to essentially ignore the biggest gaming event of the year when it provides so much visibility for your system and its titles, and that's further compounded by the fact that said system isn't selling as well as it should, and the likely event that the Wii U'll be the media whore during and quite a while after E3.

Anyways, I'm done here, as my arguments are only being met with weak rebuttals of "But it's doing well enough" and strawmen.

Seriously, man, fifteen fucking minutes really isn't much to ask for. :/

I was going to create a new thread, but I might as well ask this in here.

What do we know/is rumoured so far about wiiu online network? Paywall? Free?
Is there any chance wiiu will be open enough to let a developer create cross-platform play with ps3/ps4? or the same vice versa?
Cross platform multiplayer could be a game changer. I guess x360 is definitely out though. Shame.
Rumors aren't so solid here, but it seems like they want to appease as many parties as possible by letting them do what they want. Hopefully this means cross-platform play isn't an issue, because otherwise that would put a real damper on some MMO possibilities at least. I don't think a fee has ever been seriously considered.

They can't AFFORD to water it down for more 3DS hand holding to comfort folks, who for some reason, keep freaking out and thinking any week now the thing is gonna implode and end up in Vita territory.

They can't AFFORD to rest on their laurels and simply assume that 3DS will rise to heaven. That's not what they did with the original DS, and it's not what they should do here, either.

3DS is every bit as big a part of Nintendo's business as the WiiU will be; if the previous generation's repeated, it'll be bigger. They simply cannot afford to take success for granted, and, fortunately for me and unfortunately for you, they will not at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom