• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nibel

Just saw this on twitter.

Emily Rogers broke the news on her twitter that HBO Go coming to Wii U. And Youtube app might be coming. And Nintendo is working with some social media mobile app company as a client.

http://emilyrogersblog.wordpress.co...-on-wii-u-hbo-go-and-youtube-might-be-coming/

She provided proof and sources for everything.

Very good if true. Some entertainment stuff should be there from the get go.

Remember: in the E3 2011 video reel you could send a video to the TV by wiping it on the DRC. This could be used with the YouTube app.

Taker666

I'm not too bothered about youtube on Wii U as my tv does that in HD anyway...but it would certainly be nice to see Nintendo get their act together in regards to other streaming video/tv channels (and they need to relax their policy of not allowing commercial channels...there's a bunch of stuff they are missing out on due to that).

I'd be more interested in a youtube for the 3DS at this stage due to the vast amount of free 3D content they have.

Elfteiroh

I did a quick search about LogicBomb Media (the social app company) and they don't mention Nintendo anywhere in their list of "past clients". It sounds very promising. :O
It could mean the project they work for them has not been revealed.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
How interesting would it be if Wii U had built in functionality that would let gamers record segments of the game as they play, saved it, allowed the player to go back in later and do basic edits, annotate it... and then let them publish their clip to YouTube with a push of a button?

:eek:

This feature would be up to the discretion of the game's publisher, of course, due to copyright considerations.

If this is indeed true, could it explain why so much RAM is reportedly reserved for the OS?

japtor

I'd be more interested in a youtube for the 3DS at this stage due to the vast amount of free 3D content they have.
Heh I bugged them about that through their support form a few weeks back, suggested partnering up with YouTube or Vimeo to handle hosting and stuff to watch previous content. And they actually reply to that crap!
Thank you for taking the time to write us with your feedback. I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying Nintendo Video. I’ll make sure that your desire to see older videos (perhaps by partnering with a video sharing site) will be forwarded, so your feedback will be heard.  While I can’t guarantee that we’ll make the type of changes you suggested, we do take all feedback into consideration.

How interesting would it be if Wii U had built in functionality that would let gamers record segments of the game as they play, saved it, allowed the player to go back in later and do basic edits, annotate it... and then let them publish their clip to YouTube with a push of a button?

:eek:

This feature would be up to the discretion of the game's publisher, of course, due to copyright considerations.

If this is indeed true, could it explain why so much RAM is reportedly reserved for the OS?

This would be awesome but I don't think it's very likely.

pulga

Banned
Do you guys think Nintendo will follow Sony's lead (console-wise speaking) in enabling the Wii U for 3DTVs? With the 3DS they've shown they value 3D, do you think they will extend it to the living room, considering all the added hardware consumers will need?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Can I still enter the checkbox bingo contest?

Yes, you can be the first one to sign up. PM me your username and and an email you want your Bingo cards sent to. I will be sending them out Saturday late-afternoon.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
He's permabanned.
What? I just thought it was a regular ban. Well life goes on I suppose.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for a new Excite Truck
This man knows what's up.

The only thing that would really disappoint me from Retro (besides the Star Fox x Metroid nightmare) would be a modern war themed game.
There are so many wars in history it's a shame they only focus on WW2 or the modern day/ I'm not saying Retro should work on a war game, just whoever does should look at a history book for once.

but seriously if atlus makes another trauma center and you jerks don't buy it again i will beat you up irl
I go into stores and destroy every copy to prevent people from buying them. The shopkeepers don't mind since they make more money from the insurance than they would from selling the games.

This is obviously a joke.

Watch Nintendo announce a VCR Player.
Targeting the hipster market I see.

I don't want to risk getting in trouble in the other thread, but I am shocked.. to a small intent.. that gamers/press/media.. seem to be falling into the same trap as we did this gen with graphics/tech being the end all/be-all of people's interest in gaming.
Welcome to the world of nincompoops.

Important. Only what is seen and heard during the Nintendo Press Conference can be used to mark your cards. Nothing outside of the event should be considered, including material from the official Nintendo press site, news reports, or third-party press conferences. For example, if it has been confirmed by a Nintendo press release that a new Mario Paint game is coming to Wii U, but they fail to ever show or mention it during the press conference, you may not check that box. Additionally, if they do show a confirmed game during the press event, you have to wait for the moment it comes up during the show before you can mark your card.
But that's just not cricket bingo.

antonz

Do you guys think Nintendo will follow Sony's lead (console-wise speaking) in enabling the Wii U for 3DTVs? With the 3DS they've shown they value 3D, do you think they will extend it to the living room, considering all the added hardware consumers will need?

Wii U should be 3D capable. Will it be used? Thats another question. Iwata and crew admitted the Gamecube was 3D ready but obviously never happened.

Zenaku

Technically, the Wii U should be capable of glasses-free 3D; have one camera view on the TV, one on the controller, then just hold the controller up so that the TV and controller screen look the same size before crossing your eyes. ;)

Log4Girlz

Technically, the Wii U should be capable of glasses-free 3D; have one camera view on the TV, one on the controller, then just hold the controller up so that the TV and controller screen look the same size before crossing your eyes. ;)

Its far easier to create a harness to place two Upads just in front of your eyes. If its not announced at E3, I will be shocked.

Taker666

Wii U should be 3D capable. Will it be used? Thats another question. Iwata and crew admitted the Gamecube was 3D ready but obviously never happened.

All hardware is 3D capable depending on the type of tech they want to use (even the NES).

I'm hoping we may see some of the 3rd party ports getting a 3D mode at least. Although I'm doubtful we'll we'll see much (if anything) from Nintendo themselves....which would be a shame as stuff like Pikmin 3 or The Japanese garden game could really shine with a 3D mode.

AniHawk

i really can't believe that nintendo managed to get 11 years out of gamecube visuals without an upgrade. that would be like riding n64 visuals for their consoles until 2007.

peter

Banned
i really can't believe that nintendo managed to get 11 years out of gamecube visuals without an upgrade. that would be like riding n64 visuals for their consoles until 2007.

CPU / GPU / Memory
Wii - 729 mhz / 243 mhz / 24 MB - 64 MB (1TSRAM GDDR3) - 3 MB cache
Gamecube - 485 mhz / 162.5 mhz / 24 MB - 16 MB (ARAM) - 3 MB cache

Front-side bus bandwidth / main memory bandwidth / CPU DMIPS / cache
Wii - 1.944 GB/s / 3.888 GB/s / 1691
Gamecube - 1.3 GB/s / 2.6 GB/s / 1125

Texture cache bandwidth / framebuffer bandwidth / z-buffer bandwidth
Wii - 15.52 GB/s / 3.888 GB/s / 7.776 GB/s
Gamecube - 10.40 GB/s / 2.6 GB/s / 5.2 GB/s

http://www.g7gaming.net/t554-gamecube-vs-wii-graphic-comparision

just check this link to compare the gfx.

All hardware is 3D capable depending on the type of tech they want to use (even the NES).

I'm hoping we may see some of the 3rd party ports getting a 3D mode at least. Although I'm doubtful we'll we'll see much (if anything) from Nintendo themselves....which would be a shame as stuff like Pikmin 3 or The Japanese garden game could really shine with a 3D mode.
Now that you call it a game what if Nintendo made some sort of harvest moon/viva pinata type game based of that with the realistic visuals and all...would be so boss.

goddamn...

Log4Girlz

It was such a huge risk...I remember the gloom and doom predictions when it was revealed the Wii was actually a Gamecube in disguise.

Sadist

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Skipping out on proper shaders is the most amazing thing. The leap in visual quality they offer is incredible. Even looking at low geometry poor texture games on the 3DS, shaders do a world of good.

BEAST WARS!
draft_lens7582012module64730601photo_1_1256344871Aftermath_Megatron_beast.jpg

When I was a kid, no one was cooler than this guy. Not even his dragon form.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So some developers doesn't want to develop for wiiu because it's difficult to develop for?

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/06/02/developer-we-wont-be-working-on-wii-u-due-to-its-complexities/

Wait, wasn't the PS3 harder to develop for and yet SOMEHOW Sony is able to manage getting third party support?

Article FAIL!

You don't know what these "complexities" possibly entail. Hold your horses.
Maybe it's difficulties with the tablet controller, maybe it's hardware bottlenecks, maybe it's typical developer laziness, maybe it's the allure of the other, easier to work with next-generation consoles.

I'll be mad at this industry if Nintendo is truly trying hard to get support and the Wii U is in the ballpark of at least one other console, and still people turn up their noses at them. That's a big hypothetical, maybe, but... Come on now.

Donnie

CPU / GPU / Memory
Wii - 729 mhz / 243 mhz / 24 MB - 64 MB (1TSRAM GDDR3) - 3 MB cache
Gamecube - 485 mhz / 162.5 mhz / 24 MB - 16 MB (ARAM) - 3 MB cache

Front-side bus bandwidth / main memory bandwidth / CPU DMIPS / cache
Wii - 1.944 GB/s / 3.888 GB/s / 1691
Gamecube - 1.3 GB/s / 2.6 GB/s / 1125

Texture cache bandwidth / framebuffer bandwidth / z-buffer bandwidth
Wii - 15.52 GB/s / 3.888 GB/s / 7.776 GB/s
Gamecube - 10.40 GB/s / 2.6 GB/s / 5.2 GB/s

http://www.g7gaming.net/t554-gamecube-vs-wii-graphic-comparision

just check this link to compare the gfx.

Slight correction, main memory bandwidth for Wii should be double the number listed as both the 24mb and 64mb memory pools have there own bus with 3.88gb bandwidth each.

I know they weren't your numbers, just FYI.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, I just lost a few brain cells in that thread. Fanboys calling other people fanboys, DSes now being called tablets, and all that junk. The fact that they didn't even consider the article as an "IGN article" in order to surmount fanboy ammunition boggles my mind.

I mean, sure, fanboy wars aren't serious business - but logic and ignorance are being raped and that's horrible.

ffdgh

Man, I just lost a few brain cells in that thread. Fanboys calling other people fanboys, DSes now being called tablets, and all that junk. The fact that they didn't even consider the article as an "IGN article" in order to surmount fanboy ammunition boggles my mind.

honestly at this point....its not surprising anymore.

Boss Doggie

that would have labeled you a fanboy....

Yeah sadly.

Granted there are fanboy posts there, but at the same time anything that compromises the argument is also fanboyish.

I mean, I'm surprised people are actually agreeing with a statement made by "anonymous developers" over those with names. This is pretty much IGN-level of chart trolling.

Nibel

Nintendo's body is well and truly ready for HD, but it seems like we might have to get used to some Nintendo games that aren't 60 fps on the WiiU.. Unless the WiiU packs a bigger horsepower punch than expected

Zelda probably won't be 60 FPS, but in my opinion 60 FPS isn't necessary for its kind of gameplay.

Mario and all the other "art style over polygon-texture-and-shader-madness" games from Nintendo will be 60 FPS I think.

Hoo-doo

Banned
that would have labeled you a fanboy....

Plenty of people making good arguments for either side in there. No need for these passive and defeatist comments.
Just because this thread constantly surrounds you with like-minded individuals, that does not make your opinion "more right".

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
man, this thread really steals my sleep, it is 4 am here in Germany. I#m going to bed now, then when I wake up E3 is a couple hours nearer

But the Hype building is nice :)

I'm getting a little bit the same. It has been a long time since I looked forward to an E3 and I suppose a full unveil of a new console from Nintendo tends to increase the anticipation to a new level.

Despite these threads moving very quickly, most people tend to be rather sane about the discussion and it reminds me a little bit of early GAF.

Boss Doggie

Plenty of people making good arguments for either side in there. No need for these passive and defeatist comments.
Just because this thread constantly surrounds you with like-minded individuals, that does not make your opinion "more right".

It's true though, that there have been level headed posts being accused of fanboys or that a sentiment of level-headedness will be bludgeoned with the idea that you are a fanboy. One user there pretty much gives me that implication, especially after checking his post history. Hell, I'd report that person if there's a mod out now.

daakusedo

The conference is near, bad news had to come.
Guess the chosen developers are lacking vision to predict so easily the following xbox to be first when they hardly beat a messed up sony and nintendo being taken as out of the loop.

wsippel

Banned
Nintendo's body is well and truly ready for HD, but it seems like we might have to get used to some Nintendo games that aren't 60 fps on the WiiU.. Unless the WiiU packs a bigger horsepower punch than expected
Most of Nintendo's top tier games are 60FPS on much weaker hardware. There's no reason not to expect the same from their Wii U games.

peter

Banned
Not wiiu but still interesting to post it here i think because of the small information we receive today.

A patent from Nintendo reveals a new way to control the 3DS?

medium.jpg

medium-1.jpg

medium-2.jpg

It looks like the gears are moving in the minds of the Nintendo developers. A new patent was recently filed to create a new input method on the 3DS. What is so special about a new input method, you ask? It does not require any sort of physical contact with the 3DS at all!

The input method will allow the player to manipulate the top screen, yes the top screen, with a stylus. The stylus will sport a type of “marker” that the inward facing camera can detect. The camera will then calculate the marker’s position and use that information to cause a reaction on the screen. A very awesome feature is that the player can manipulate where an object is located within the 3D screen by simply moving the marker closer or further from the screen. It also seems that the exterior camera will be getting the same treatment, which is perfect for games using Augmented reality.

http://www.infendo.com/a-patent-from-nintendo-reveals-a-new-way-to-control-the-3ds/#more

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Hm, since we were on the subject of possible racing games coming to the WiiU earlier, what about that supposed racing sim from Lucid Games? The rumor was quite detailed about features iirc, and a competitor to GT and Forza is something sorely missing from Nintendo's profile. Would be a steal considering Lucid was formerly Bizarre Creations.

the more I think about it, the more I want it

Very good if true. Some entertainment stuff should be there from the get go.

Remember: in the E3 2011 video reel you could send a video to the TV by wiping it on the DRC. This could be used with the YouTube app.
Or it's the perfect "me and my friends are drunk" app think about it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom