• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not all that enamoured with the concept myself, not being a fan of Star Fox... at all. I just think it's a pretty cool idea, and anything by Retro usually = gold.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
We're getting hyped over tweets from IGN?

IG- "Factor 5 KID ICARUS FOR WII" -N?

I still remember Matt Cassamina saying "I've seens it! I knows it exists! Y'ALL LAUGHED AT ME! BUT IT'LL BE AT NEXT EEEE THREEE!"

Um, that actually existed.

Point is mute though, because Matt/Boz/Craig are all gone.

Discomurf

If you're referring to Uprising, that was nowhere near in dev when Cassamina was ranting like a lunatic.

nope, I'm referring to the Factor 5 Kid Icarus prototype for Wii

kidicarus_4.jpg

Izick

I don't know, I'd rather have it be a new IP, with a solid multiplayer component. I think that's what draws a lot of people, and I think Nintendo knows that. Someone mentioned something similar to Perfect Dark, so I'd be happy with that.

There's like, not a single reasonable argument for combining the Star Fox and Metroid franchises together that doesn't descend into a horrific Sonic-esque fan fiction nightmare.

The gameplay idea is fine, but it's also completely independent from the franchise. It could work with either alone, or neither and instead something new.

Combining Metroid and Star Fox would be just another example of a Japanese publisher losing the plot, disrespecting the concept of thematic consistency and value of an established, respectable and consistent lore in a fictional setting.

I hate it will all my black heart and wish pain and suffering upon those who'd allow such a travesty to exist.

I am so against this thing being true that if it happened I might have a meltdown... but I don't really value those IPs much to care enough so I would mostly ignore the whole mess and pretend its CDi Mario/Zelda

Oddduck

I'm expecting a major leak by Saturday or Sunday night.

I don't know why, but I have a gut feeling we'll hear something by this weekend.

McNum

I find most people don't have very much creativity, so they imagine a pc mod of Samus running around in Starfox adventures then just go from there.
I see Team Star Fox fighting Ridley. I see Samus outwitting Team Star Wolf in a planetwide manhunt, I see new armor powerups for Samus based on Star Fox tech (Wing Armor!), and of course, I can see the inevitable ending where Samus becomes an honorary Star Fox member. Not a full member, of course, she prefers working alone. But you know that classic feel-good crossover ending.

Add some really cheesy dialogue, a crossover between Andross' forces and the Space Pirates, and a way to make the gameplay a bit more even, so it doesn't just end up being 20 hours of Metroid with a few 10 minute Star Fox levels in between. Possibly by switching roles, with Fox on a ground mission and Samus in space. (Again, Wing Armor!)

It could work. It could be fun. I'm still skeptic about if it even exists, but I'd probably buy it if it does.

As for the Star Fox x Mother crossover mentioned briefly... Team Star Fox vs. Giygas. Analyze THAT one, Slippy.

I am so against this thing being true that if it happened I might have a meltdown... but I don't really value those IPs much to care enough so I would mostly ignore the whole mess and pretend its CDi Mario/Zelda

I really want it to happen now.

Just to watch. And I'm going to get you...
And I'm going to make you watch.

The Star Fox x Metroid rumor makes me wonder if Nintendo will ever do their own "Avengers." I know there's Smash Brothers but I'm thinking focusing on only on a few of their characters and bringing in gameplay elements from their respective series. Who knows, maybe Star Fax x Metroid could be them experimenting with the idea?

The Star Fox x Metroid rumor makes me wonder if Nintendo will ever do their own "Avengers." I know there's Smash Brothers but I'm thinking focusing on only on a few of their characters and bringing in gameplay elements from their respective series. Who knows, maybe Star Fax x Metroid could be them experimenting with the idea?

Unless it's written by Joss Whedon and is scored by Alan Silvestri...

rich's tweets hyping me up but doesnt he do games for ps3 and 360 on ign also?

Occasionally. Rich and Audrey are dedicated Nintendo editors, but they will sometimes review other games if they have relevant expertise or significant franchise experience. Rich reviewed MVC3, for example, because of his prior experience as editor of the comics channel.

AntMurda

Yeah seems like a good idea. Let's use two of our most mediocre selling franchises to gauge this thing. But perhaps one day, Monolith will developed a Nintendo RPG / Nintendo Action RPG.

You'll be the first to burn when the nightmare prophecy comes true.

It will happen because it must. And they will kill off Samus at the end, in a tearful scene with Falco, lost son of the Chozo, putting her to rest in a cairn on the new Chozo homeworld.

And you will cry, and I will drink lustily of your bitter tears.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.

^^^

I was looking at the detailed design patents for the faceplate of the wuc designs and it confirmed my guesstimate that the face buttons have gotten significantly larger:

sK3bQ.jpg

Also, the d-pad is bit bigger too...

DH6ip.jpg

Another observation is that there really isn't any room for Nintendo to move the controls cloer into the screen. Looking at the diagram, they are already right up to the edge where the screen cutout begins. Seems like the touchscreen takes up a ~1/2 an inch on either side.

* Note - this all assumes the dimensions of the screen size, sensor bar and over height of the unit are the same. That's how I aligned the sizes of the two images.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Ah, very nice. Wasn't fond of the smaller buttons.

For anyone who's used the DRC, were the buttons clicky or soft-press?

Izick

It will happen because it must. And they will kill off Samus at the end, in a tearful scene with Falco, lost son of the Chozo, putting her to rest in a cairn on the new Chozo homeworld.

And you will cry, and I will drink lustily.

If I type in JUSTIN BAILEY at the password screen, do I get to play as Slippy in a bikini?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

I'm not going to sleep tonight because of you.

ffdgh

that plot twist with falco is random and crazy enough to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom