• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Team Star Fox fighting Ridley. I see Samus outwitting Team Star Wolf in a planetwide manhunt, I see new armor powerups for Samus based on Star Fox tech (Wing Armor!), and of course, I can see the inevitable ending where Samus becomes an honorary Star Fox member. Not a full member, of course, she prefers working alone. But you know that classic feel-good crossover ending.

Add some really cheesy dialogue, a crossover between Andross' forces and the Space Pirates, and a way to make the gameplay a bit more even, so it doesn't just end up being 20 hours of Metroid with a few 10 minute Star Fox levels in between. Possibly by switching roles, with Fox on a ground mission and Samus in space. (Again, Wing Armor!)

It could work. It could be fun. I'm still skeptic about if it even exists, but I'd probably buy it if it does.

As for the Star Fox x Mother crossover mentioned briefly... Team Star Fox vs. Giygas. Analyze THAT one, Slippy.

I'm with you. It is very odd, but it's not like they couldn't easily make them fit together. Starfox is a bunch of animals that fight space crime and Samus was raised by a bunch of technologically advanced birds...and she fights space crime. Both could EASILY use the Umote for their respective reasons and not feel awkward at all.

Just make Falco a high level Chozo. You know, so the meltdowns really pour over.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Im going to laugh when someone reveals that they leaked a bunch of stuff in one of the speculation threads in an insignificant post, hidden by the email tags.

Laugh, or cry.

Izick

jIgQt.jpg

I'm not going to sleep tonight because of you.

Samus is then revived with a kiss from Peppy Hare, while Peppy cries out 'Do a barrel roll' and only the wise know what he's talking about. Then, the credits show panoramas of all the planets you visited on your journey and Peppy taps that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im going to laugh when someone reveals that they leaked a bunch of stuff in one of the speculation threads in an insignificant post, hidden by the email tags.

Laugh, or cry.

You know you just made some poor desperate sap here trawl through every post in all six threads.

ffdgh

Samus is then revived with a kiss from Peppy Hare, while Peppy cries out 'Do a barrel roll' and only the wise know what he's talking about. Then, the credits show panoramas of all the planets you visited on your journey and Peppy taps that.

what? no time reset to prevent the game from ever happening?

Conor 419

Banned
Sonic fan fiction is a bizarre Edgar Allen Poe void of horrors beyond imagination. This would be that.

It would be my end. Seriously.

Star Fox has no place in Metroid's lore and atmosphere and vice versa. I don't care how much Retro 'get' Metroid, or Donkey Kong, or how much they might 'get' any other franchise. It's a bastardisation that shouldn't happen.

All my objections have nothing to do with how it would play. It's everything else it represents.

Does it really represent something bad though?

Nintendo have no obligations to these IP's, IP's which have been consistently letting them down as of late. They could just let them both die and be done with it. Have Retro on some Military shooter and outsource Starfox to Sonic team for some low budget title.

But no, this is not Nintendo's way. Their way is the old way.

What they're essentially doing, is taking two dying franchises, broadening their appeal by merging them and having them feature as early system titles. I.E - When the Wii U will stand out against the 360/PS3 and has a chance at appealing to the 'bro' audience. As much as the core Nintendo fans may say they hate the idea, they'll probably buy it for the rock solid gameplay and fantastic visuals alone. We could see the revival of both IP's and Nintendo being convinced to continue investing in them in the future, especially with the big budgets these games will bring in the HD era.

I think that's more than worth the trade for a short, non canonical interaction between the two IP's.

I don't see how SFxMetroid ruins the sanctity of those franchises (let's be real here- ruins Metroid) if it's some fun, out of continuity thing.

Anustart

I just don't see the point of a Starfox x Metroid game. If it's just the flight missions of starfox mixed with the ground action of Metroid, wouldn't it make more sense to just add sections where you pilot samus' ship and these missions play similarly to starfox?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
@GeoffKeighley said:
Over the past few days I've seen some great games set for E3. A few great surprises, and other games that look surprisingly good.

Considering Spike is televising the Nintendo conference this year, could be related.

Redford

aka Cabbie

Nintendo have no obligations to these IP's, IP's which have been consistently letting them down as of late. They could just let them both die and be done with it. Have Retro on some Military shooter and outsource Starfox to Sonic team for some low budget title.

I think that's more than worth the trade for a short, non canonical interaction between the two IP's.

Sales sales sales sales sales, eh.

The only reason this was even conceived was because SPACE.

I'd rather have a new IP that could later at least plausibly interact with the Metroid universe, than a fan-fic tier mess of a crossover.

TunaLover

But no, this is not Nintendo's way. Their way is the old way.

What they're essentially doing, is taking two dying franchises, broadening their appeal by merging them and having them feature as early system titles. I.E - When the Wii U will stand out against the 360/PS3 and has a chance at appealing to the 'bro' audience. As much as the core Nintendo fans may say they hate the idea, they'll probably buy it for the rock solid gameplay and fantastic visuals alone. We could see the revival of both IP's and Nintendo being convinced to continue investing in them in the future, especially with the big budgets these games will bring in the HD era.

I highly, highly doubt that a Metroid x StarFox game will appeal at dudebro, I highly doubt that mixing characters from both series will broaden its appeal, since both series are quite niche.

I don't see how SFxMetroid ruins the sanctity of those franchises (let's be real here- ruins Metroid) if it's some fun, out of continuity thing.

Yeah.

It's like Michael Jordan playing for the Wizards, didn't make me look any differently at his PRIME career as I separated one from the other.

What I do kind of think is unfortunate is these franchises going from one source to another and one direction to another.

I kind of wish they would have one developer stick with their franchise if they are the best for it.

But like I said, I separate every game and judge them on their own.

Conor 419

Banned
Sales sales sales sales sales, eh.

The only reason this was even conceived was because SPACE.

I'd rather have a new IP that could at least plausibly interact with the Metroid universe, than a fan-fic tier mess of a crossover.

But this is not Nintendo's way, their way is the old way.

I highly, highly doubt that a Metroid x StarFox game will appeal at dudebro, I highly doubt that mixing characters from both series will broaden its appeal, since both series are quite niche.

If it's a launch title with GRAPHIXSH which are >>> 360/PS3 and cool as fuck looking set pieces, then it could very well appeal to a larger audience.

Also, it'd appeal to both Starfox and Metroid fans, presumably. So yeah, there'd be some broadening.

Izick

I still love the idea of a Mario x TLoZelda crossover. Platforming in Hyrule, and adventuring in the Mushroom Kingdom.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yes, it represents something bad. I really don't want to get into another long winded rant about why it's such a tremendously awful idea, as I've exhausted myself across two threads, so I'll try and keep it punchy.

The best games and franchises are more than just gameplay. They're cohesive works of art in all respects, including presentation. And the best games, in presentation, have beautifully realised, cohesive and enthralling worlds. How this is achieved varies between franchise and direction, but the best have one thing in common: thematic consistency. And Nintendo, of all Japanese developers/publishers, is one of the best at doing this. Metroid, Zelda, Mother, F-Zero, Star Fox, and even Mario are franchises that have, in almost all respected, adhered to their established universes. They're all incredibly cohesive, with unique, beautiful identities that define them. And even when each game in the series tries something new, or changes something major, they stay true to their thematic origins.

I firmly believe Star Fox and Metroid are thematically miles and miles apart. And every single argument I've heard as to how they could 'work' together is fan fiction terrible junk. They do not exist in the same realm of universe concept, and parallels cannot be drawn. Attempts to do so are thin and reaching, and that's being kind.

Thus, I feel an attempt to combine the series into a game is an incredible bastardisation of both universes. "But Retro could / be creative". I don't care about this. You could combine any franchises if you're creative enough, but that doesn't mean they should be combined. All effort put into combining these franchises would be better spent on tackling them solo.

And when we get into arguments about marketability of the franchises and where the franchises need to go in order to sell more copies, we enter the world of whoring out your IPs just to make money. It's when the aforementioned beauty and brilliance of cohesive game universes play second fiddle to a bank balance. And that is shamefully poor and disrespective handling of your franchises.

It just doesn't need to be unless you want to mash shit together for the sake of horrible fan fiction. There's no advantage of combining the two except to shit on the existing fanbase and bastardise both franchise simply because you want to make more money.

Or, TLDR: I fucking hate the idea.

Also, it'd appeal to both Starfox and Metroid fans, presumably. So yeah, there'd be some broadening.

It would appeal to neither for the reasons mentioned above. You cant smoosh two franchises together and expect both fanbases to combine. You do it because you want to reboot both and appeal to someone new.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I just don't see the point of a Starfox x Metroid game. If it's just the flight missions of starfox mixed with the ground action of Metroid, wouldn't it make more sense to just add sections where you pilot samus' ship and these missions play similarly to starfox?

It's my hope that the rumor got screwed up along the way and what we are actually getting is a Metroid game where you planet hop and encounter space pirates in awesome ship to ship battles (plus the exploration we all love).

Didn't Retro hire a guy with a scientific background who was responsible for an engine that allowed for detailed scaling of planetary terrain recently? Something like that?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I hate the idea too, and its already ruining this thread. :(

Yeah.

It's like Michael Jordan playing for the Wizards, didn't make me look any differently at his PRIME career as I separated one from the other.

What I do kind of think is unfortunate is these franchises going from one source to another and one direction to another.

I kind of wish they would have one developer stick with their franchise if they are the best for it.

But like I said, I separate every game and judge them on their own.
As a Chicagoan you have gained my undying respect....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom