• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWkoK.jpg
Is that picture real? If so WTF?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Heh, actually the "surprisingly good" part screams Wii-U to me.

Well, that sounds disappointing to me. Figuring Keighley's expectations about the hardware are so low, his "surprisingly good" is my "disappointing". He'd have to use adjectives like "shockingly" and "unbelievable" for my to get excited.

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's my hope that the rumor got screwed up along the way and what we are actually getting is a Metroid game where you planet hop and encounter space pirates in awesome ship to ship battles (plus the exploration we all love).

Didn't Retro hire a guy with a scientific background who was responsible for an engine that allowed for detailed scaling of planetary terrain recently? Something like that?

Yeah, his name is Tony Bernardin and he was responsible for a program named Crusta :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrZv3ZAlLfs

I could definitely see how someone who made this would be a great fit for a Starfox development team. Or a Metroid game with outer space combat.

Izick

Don't even know why people are arguing over it. PG himself is already backpedaling away from the rumor, and says he's not even sure if it was just a rumor of it being an idea that was pitched or something more tangible. Either way, there's no reason to argue over something until we at least see how it looks and plays.

Pretty much anything could work if done right.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Star Fox/Star Wars is a good fit. Star Fox flying in the trench of a Death Star, while Lord Vader pursues him.

Star Fox 64 pretty much is Star Wars. Star Fox has always been a semi-serious cheese laden re-imagining of classic science fiction plot devices with a cast of puppet-like anthropomorphic characters. It's very Thunderbirdsy.

Anustart

It's my hope that the rumor got screwed up along the way and what we are actually getting is a Metroid game where you planet hop and encounter space pirates in awesome ship to ship battles (plus the exploration we all love).

Didn't Retro hire a guy with a scientific background who was responsible for an engine that allowed for detailed scaling of planetary terrain recently? Something like that?

Just gave me a great idea. How about an open "universe" metroid game, a la gta, where its basically what you described, taking samus' ship in all range mode, allowing you to hop from tallon IV, to aether to zebes to sr388 & anywhere inbetween. Also including 100 space pigeons for you to hunt to gain access to an in game t shirt that states "I traveled through worm holes to make the galaxy at peace and all I got was this shitty shirt."

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I already mentioned before that Star Fox and F-Zero likes to shout out each other and even has Octoman in both games so why not.

Sonic fan fiction is a bizarre Edgar Allen Poe void of horrors beyond imagination. This would be that.

Yeah but the idea of the crossover isn't as haphazard as that.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Just gave me a great idea. How about an open "universe" metroid game, a la gta, where its basically what you described, taking samus' ship in all range mode, allowing you to hop from tallon IV, to aether to zebes to sr388 & anywhere inbetween. Also including 100 space pigeons for you to hunt to gain access to an in game t shirt that states "I traveled through worm holes to make the galaxy at peace and all I got was this shitty shirt."

I'd play it! :)

The admitted reason I am preparing myself for this farfetched rumor to be true and ok with it is that it went from Star Fox(blah) from Retro to Star Fox(blah)/Metroid(yay!!!) from Retro.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I seriously think it is.

Nah. I mean, aliens. Aliens don't have to be gooey or creepy. They can pretty much just have SF characters be aliens (and Samus to them as an alien). It can work when properly handled.

It might be awkward but not as bad as that Sonic with humans shit.

The same character designer (Takaya Imamura) designed F-Zero and Star Fox. He always does that.

Kind of like how Ko Takeuchi designed WarioWare and Rhythm Heaven.

Character artists keep a motif and canon of their own.

I think the character designs he did in Command onwards is shit though.

HylianTom

Banned
Star Fox 64 pretty much is Star Wars. Star Fox has always been a semi-serious cheese laden re-imagining of classic science fiction plot devices with a cast of puppet-like anthropomorphic characters. It's very Thunderbirdsy.
Although I've enjoyed a few of the games in the series, I've never really been able to take it seriously. It's too easy to laugh at any attempt at a story, with me talking to the cutscenes and saying, "Yeah, yeah.. get back to the game part. Thanks."

Instro

Was wsippel's comment about a Nintendo engine in the Eurogamer thread something new or has it already been discussed in here?

Oh, god. Yeah, but even then, they made that work in Sonic unleashed. The humans just have to be as cartoony as Sonic is and it doesn't seem so weird.

I'd still rather all the people be generic cartoon animals though... Hmmp.

AntMurda

I think the character designs he did in Command onwards is shit though.

I don't know if he did the character designs in command. He did do the endings himself though.

He did the character designs in Star Fox SNES, F-Zero SNES, F-Zero X, Star Fox 64, F-Zero Climax, and Steel Diver.

Art Director in Majora's Mask. And graphic design in some other EAD games like Donkey Kong 94, Link To the Past, and Stunt Race FX.

Vinci

Danish
I want a mash-up in which Mario takes on Ganondorf and tries to save Zelda, while Link is stuck fighting Bowser to rescue Peach.

Title: SUPER MARIO MASH-UP: BUT OUR PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE

Let's do this...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Nah. I mean, aliens. Aliens don't have to be gooey or creepy. They can pretty much just have SF characters be aliens (and Samus to them as an alien). It can work when properly handled.

I seriously think it is as bad as Sonic + humans. The 'aliens' excuse is exactly why you could argue either franchise could combine with anything. "Science fiction and space travel" isn't enough of a similarity to merge the two, when so many other thematics are opposed.

I don't really want to debate it further though, because I don't think there's much else I can say. I really do hate the idea that much. I'm not opposed to anything that was in the gossiped gameplay, but the idea of those two franchises merging repulses me. It speaks volumes about Nintendo's intentions and directive, volumes that sadden me, even if it played well (which would still warrant my interest).

Redford

aka Cabbie
I agree, crossovers aren't inherently bad. It just has to be handled correctly.

That's assuming the crossover isn't a terrible idea in the first place. Some go together with relative ease, and others, like this one, have to be welded together into something grotesque. And some people might like that campy take, but if people threw up a fit over one story arc in Other M, I can't imagine SxM will age any better.

I don't think anthropomorphic animals and humans can ever co-exist

That's it in a nutshell.

I want a mash-up in which Mario takes on Ganondorf and tries to save Zelda, while Link is stuck fighting Bowser to rescue Peach.

Title: SUPER MARIO MASH-UP: BUT OUR PRINCESS IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE

Let's do this...

I'd actually like a Metroid and Zelda crossover. Turns out, Samus is Zelda.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I don't know if he did the character designs in command. He did do the endings himself though.

He did the character designs in Star Fox SNES, F-Zero SNES, F-Zero X, Star Fox 64, F-Zero Climax, and Steel Diver.

Art Director in Majora's Mask. And graphic design in some other EAD games like Donkey Kong 94, Link To the Past, and Stunt Race FX.

That must of been a demanding job.

I don't actually think the Metroid/Star Fox thing exists...but if it does, I trust Retro. They have given me four fantastic games.

I would be more than willing to see what they do with it before judging it.

MisterHero

No the next 3D Mario is Super Mario Multiverse.

Instead of 15 themed levels in 1 Mushroom Kingdom, it's 15 alternate dimension Mushroom Kingdoms in 1 game.

After getting all 240 stars, you gain access to the Secret Secret Warp Zone

Mario winds up in Hyrule with no way to get home

"Dr. Mario Mario never returned home.
UNTIL CAPTAIN N THE GAME
"

Nintendo should just come out and say that all their first party titles are all inside the Nintendo Universe. Like the Marvel universe where lots of messed up shit co-exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom