• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
antonz said:
Who did you email?
tw2support@thewitcher.com

Their reply was to try one piece of software and make sure i have an ntfs file system. I imagine this is actually a giant problem that isnt getting out there a lot because most on gaf purchased digitally and the people that went with retail cant post on any official forums cause they took them down.

Here is the official statement right from the witcher site:

While our forums are down we encourage you to discuss The Witcher 2 on other message boards like Neogaf and GoG.com. You can find solutions to many problems regarding installation and activation process as well as some other questions you might have about the game. You can read up on different system configurations as well as find possible solutions to most common issues like game crashes, sound errors, etc.

Glad they mention us, now i can say DONT BUY THE DAMN RETAIL VERSION IT IS BROKED

Hawk269

scorpscarx said:
If your the type of gamer that plays a game based off "objectives" then yea it probably won't last more than that.

For me however with this game at least, I'm at 10 hours and only a couple of quests in on Chapter 1.

Just wandering around, studying how the game works, soaking it in etc.

Probably won't be a game like this for a good while.

The soundtrack is great.

Scorps, you game like I do. For example in the camp, I was able to do the arm wrestling and the dice game. I have 4 other friends that never knew those were in the camps. I am one of those gamers that looks in every corner I can find to see if I can find herbs, items etc. It took me a while to beat the prologue cause I looked around.

In the area in the prologue that you go down the water well, I looked in every house I could open a door, while a friend did not and missed the entire sequence where you save the people.

The other area 4 other friends did not explore are right after you meet the king and you have to launch the balista...many just walk forward and trigger the scene, I went to the other way and explored and found a few items.

However, even though I play the way I play, I do wish the main story was at least 30 hours cause some gamers plough through the story just to beat it and then do a 2nd playthrough to really see the sights etc.

Hawk269

~Kinggi~ said:

Their reply was to try one piece of software and make sure i have an ntfs file system. I imagine this is actually a giant problem that isnt getting out there a lot because most on gaf purchased digitally and the people that went with retail cant post on any official forums cause they took them down.

Glad they mention us, now i can say DONT BUY THE DAMN RETAIL VERSION IT IS BROKED

I did retail and had no issues. My good friend also did retail and had no issues as well. So not all of us that did retail are having issues.

My CE came via mail from Amazon, my friends was from Best Buy and no issues at all.

sflufan

Banned
Hawk269 said:
I did retail and had no issues. My good friend also did retail and had no issues as well. So not all of us that did retail are having issues.

My CE came via mail from Amazon, my friends was from Best Buy and no issues at all.

There are enough people (like me!) who had issues with the retail version that it is something SIGNIFICANT that MUST be addressed either by CDP or Atari.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hawk269 said:

It is 50/50. Game is incompatible with a large pool of DVD drives.,

It is safe to say 'avoid like the plague' because it is a gamble and not guaranteed to work. There is no official list of compatibility with various dvd rom manufacturers.

Also, simply the fact that so many people are reporting the same errors at the same places proves something is definitely wrong. Never had this experience on a release before.

Hawk269

sflufan said:
There are enough people (like me!) who had issues with the retail version that it is something SIGNIFICANT that MUST be addressed either by CDP or Atari.

No doubt man. Sorry if I sounded like you were not having a problem. Someone said that everyone that went retail is fucked, but I did and am not. But mroe power to you man, regardless, you should be able to play the game you paid for and someone needs to make it right and fast.

Zeliard

Hawk269 said:
Also, I read the PC Gamer review and what sounds instersting is that they say based on decisions, chpater 2 can start in a completely different town. Is that correct?

I did see a pre-launch video with the devs stating that depending on how you play and your decisions, there will be areas that in the game that you will never see based on your choices and they seemed to imply it was more than just one occurance.

Seems like that's the case. Thing is so few people have finished the game since it just came out, and The Witcher tends to go with long-term consequences with its big choices, so it's hard to get a clear picture of the C&C/quest dynamics right now.

So far nobody (outside of CDPR obviously) likely knows exactly how quests diverge depending on what choices were made, etc. Most of the press didn't get the game until we did either, so it's the same for them. Gonna have to wait for more people to finish it and compare notes. Could be there are some crazies out there who have finished it twice already. :p

sflufan

Banned
Hawk269 said:
No doubt man. Sorry if I sounded like you were not having a problem. Someone said that everyone that went retail is fucked, but I did and am not. But mroe power to you man, regardless, you should be able to play the game you paid for and someone needs to make it right and fast.

Well, I kinda took care of that by buying a digital copy from GOG, but that's not really a solution!

Arozay

Got up to Chapter 3, will probably play to the end when I start playing tonight. Looking forward to seeing what the drama about the last half is.

squirtle.gif

Scoia'tael Scoia'tael

Hawk269

~Kinggi~ said:
It is 50/50. Game is incompatible with a large pool of DVD drives.,

It is safe to say 'avoid like the plague' because it is a gamble and not guaranteed to work. There is no official list of compatibility with various dvd rom manufacturers.

Also, simply the fact that so many people are reporting the same errors at the same places proves something is definitely wrong. Never had this experience on a release before.

Well, the 2 copies me and my friend have worked and the common denominator is that we both have the same ASUS DVD drive on our systems. His computer he built for me last august and I build another one on my own and used the same DVD drive. So, for us that is why it worked, we have identical drives.

Atari should just re-press the DVD's in a different way and send those out to you guys or send a digitial version that you use your key in your package. They still should send you new disks however.

iNvid02

Zaro said:
Got up to Chapter 3, will probably play to the end when I start playing tonight. Looking forward to seeing what the drama about the last half is.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_02duKne7ylc/SUVLJO3ojDI/AAAAAAAAAAo/gmBAsBzWKUE/s320/squirtle.gif
Scoia'tael Scoia'tael[/QUOTE]

lol he even has that weird effect the characters have

Mdk7

3 hours in, i'm shocked towards the beauty of this game.
It's just breathtaking, and i'm not reffering to the graphics only.
I'm soooooooo glad i bought a PC last month (mainly for this game).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AppleSmack said:
Guys how do you check how long you have played on a non-steam version of the game?

Don't think you can, unless you're keeping track of it on your own.

AppleSmack said:
Guys how do you check how long you have played on a non-steam version of the game?

One way you could try to do it is check the properties of the most current save file in docs>witcher2>saves.

Not sure if it has play time though.

edit.... No dice.

antonz

~Kinggi~ said:

I would reccomend you contact Atari Customer support. Disc issues are their area as they handle the disc making etc.

HeadlessRoland said:
Sweet you are not even using the most ideal sign.

Primary CC is not Yrden, in fact its so weak its next to useless till you can upgrade various related skills. Its fucking far from the "first line of defense in the half a second you survive the fight"

The problem being their professed tactics are on a lower difficulty... Im not sure what isnt being comprehended. If you claim to have beaten the prologue and first chapter on hard and died 8 times you are a liar, period. Assuming you have not played the game before. The claim is absurd. The person who made it retracted it.
Haha, this is really pissing you off isn't it.

If it's not the most ideal how come it worked so well? And did you just suggest that the primary CC in a game which throws groups of enemies at you is a short range channeled ability which only affects a single target?

Oh dear. It's even worse than I first thought.

Corky said:
That might be it, I was under the impression that their servers were up an running after the maintenances they had.

Anyways some random bugs roundup :

1) Dismembering enemies, were the first 10 enemies in the game made of weaker moral fiber? Because those were the only ones I could dismember. Haven't chopped of anything of a foe since the prologue.

2) Sometimes ( 10% ) when I throw the Grapeshot (?) bomb I totally lose control of geralt and my controls spazzes out! It is soo wierd that I can't even explain how he acts, outside of me not having control other than either reload the game or hope that someone hits me thats when I get back control. Oddly enough this particular bomb is the only one that triggers this asshole bug.

For dismembering, are you using the heavy attack? I've noticed that dismembering only happens on the heavy.

Zeliard

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
For dismembering, are you using the heavy attack? I've noticed that dismembering only happens on the heavy.

And at the end of a combo, I think. Not sure though. I'm usually too focused on simply removing enemies from the equation to worry about it. :p

Exuro

toasty_T said:
Aren't there 16 different endings?

I'm not understanding the consensus that the ending sucks when there are so many.
Well technically there are 16 states the world is in. Everyone I've talked to has gotten the same exact ending as I have. If there is indeed a better ending that I or any of the reviewers never saw then I'd love to be wrong.

Lime

Just finished the game. GOTY 2011 so far, but there are some warts here and there. The most glaring one is the rush job in Chapter 3 - It's too bad that they called it Chapter 3 due to its inherent comparison with the two earlier and much meatier chapters. However, I do not think it shatters the experience - after all the main objective of the entire game is tied up at the end and I at least felt a final resolution in terms of
Letho. He really was a great villain/anti-hero and I let him walk away, which I applaud the game for letting me do.
. Also the final
confrontation/banter between Letho and Geralt
was straight up Sergio Leone. It was interesting to see it applied in a fantasy setting.

So yeah, a game with a lot of heart, but some stumbling in the end.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really curious about how the game apparently falls apart in the final act. I'll try my best to plough through this game over the weekend, but if the weather's nice, I doubt that will be possible.

Lime

Zefah said:
I'm really curious about how the game apparently falls apart in the final act. I'll try my best to plough through this game over the weekend, but if the weather's nice, I doubt that will be possible.

If you're prepared like I was, due to reading all of the reactions, you might not be as disappointed as many others are. It's still a great game and I cannot wait to see more from these guys.

Zeliard

So mostly a case of Chapter 3 being a lot shorter than the first two? It's a larger issue if the pacing gets all screwy as well.

Exuro

Man I think I know how to get all 16 states now. Just guessing but it sounds right.

The one big decision you make between going with Roche or Iorveth.
Choice between finding Triss/Helping Roche/Ioverth.
Saving Sile from the flawed crystal/Not saving her.
Fighting Letho/Letting him go.

If you choose Roche there's 8 ways to go about chapter 3/epi. That doubled with Iorveth makes 16 somewhat drastic choices. Hope I'm wrong but it fits very well.

Lime said:
The most glaring one is the rush job in Chapter 3 - It's too bad that they called it Chapter 3 due to its inherent comparison with the two earlier and much meatier chapters.
This was a big issue I had. Chapter 3 should had just been combined with the Epilogue. The Prologue is just as long as chapter 3 and the Epilogue is a whole 20 minutes long if that.

Deadly

Anyone manage to get rid of the tattoo? You need white myrtle's petal, green mould and wolf's aloe but I don't think you can get the last two in the first chapter.

Lime

Zeliard said:
So mostly a case of Chapter 3 being a lot shorter than the first two? It's a larger issue if the pacing gets all screwy as well.

I'd say it is much, much shorter with some pacing issues towards the end of the chapter. Probably the worst crime is the tying up of loose knots. Almost everyone besides
Letho and Saskia
feel somewhat unresolved.

Has anyone noticed a bug where Geralt freezes in place and can't move? It's happened a few times when in combat. The weird thing is that the game still lets me swing my sword and roll (with appropriate moving hair animation) but his body doesn't animate.

Exuro

Did you
Side with Roche? I'm wondering if siding with Iorveth will lead to some more info/background on Saskia in chapter 2.

raphier

Banned
I really, really, really hope they make extended cut just to make chapter 3 and epilogue connected and make new epilogue if not add atleast one chapter in between (expansion)

Also I can't believe the game is this short. It took me less than three days to beat! And the ending just kill the experience for me. Thats' the end? There's so much I wish to be resolved!
I am really sad that they rushed the last part of the game. (hmm, this is propably the influenced part of the lower budget? I know it had to hit somewhere...)

Also, I really liked TW1's chapter quests better as they felt like episodes of a seasoned TV-show. This game? Not so much, it felt bit different.

8/10 from me.

Minsc

Gold Member
~Kinggi~ said:

Their reply was to try one piece of software and make sure i have an ntfs file system. I imagine this is actually a giant problem that isnt getting out there a lot because most on gaf purchased digitally and the people that went with retail cant post on any official forums cause they took them down.[/B]

I do miss their forums a little, due to them having a bunch of direct (admin) involvement, was a very good resource for getting answers. And by now they'd probably have promised us both their kidneys in patches ;)

Really crappy timing to lose the official forums this past week+, but hopefully they're up again really soon, I thought they said last sunday, clearly that never happened.

Lime

Exuro said:
This was a big issue I had. Chapter 3 should had just been combined with the Epilogue. The Prologue is just as long as chapter 3 and the Epilogue is a whole 20 minutes long if that.

Yep, it really is too bad. After re-reading the PC Gamer review, I am very much in agreement with the final assessment made by the reviewer. It really is a great, great game, albeit flawed in the final act. Despite this failing, I still think many, many developers should look up to CDProjekt in terms of quality view on morals, view on war, politics, etc., because there aren't any contemporary RPG developers who have reached The Witcher 2's heart and thoughtfulness.

Maybe expansions will expand or tie up the loose knots, but this does not excuse the Witcher 2 itself.

Exuro said:
Did you
Side with Roche? I'm wondering if siding with Iorveth will lead to some more info/background on Saskia in chapter 2.

I
sided with Ioverth. I have no idea yet how Saskia's plot will be different based on that particular choice. I can say however that there is a romantic aspect of Saskia you will encounter due to Ioverth. I don't know if Roche has the same thing though.
. Nevertheless I hard-saved with all the important decisions so I can revisit them later.

Exuro said:
Man I think I know how to get all 16 states now. Just guessing but it sounds right.

The one big decision you make between going with Roche or Iorveth.
Choice between finding Triss/Helping Roche/Ioverth.
Saving Sile from the flawed crystal/Not saving her.
Fighting Letho/Letting him go.

If you choose Roche there's 8 ways to go about chapter 3/epi. That doubled with Iorveth makes 16 somewhat drastic choices. Hope I'm wrong but it fits very well.

You forgot:

Saving Triss/Freeing Philipa in the prison resulting in either saving Shaika or (I presume) killing Shaika.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Really interesting turn of events.

Emailed support again about whole DVD install issue. Said i would much prefer to download on gog than torrent their stuff. 20 minutes later they gave me a full redeem code for Witcher 2 on gog. Havent even given credit card info yet and im already downloading. That was kinda nice.

Fredescu

~Kinggi~ said:
Really interesting turn of events.

Emailed support again about whole DVD install issue. Said i would much prefer to download on gog than torrent their stuff. 20 minutes later they gave me a full redeem code for Witcher 2 on gog. Havent even given credit card info yet and im already downloading. That was kinda nice.
Wow, nice of them.

epmode

I've decided that the no storage thing really sucks. I mean, shit, even the alchemy formulae have a weight.

I'd rather that they went with Demons' Souls system: Infinite storage space, no selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom