• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

mileS said:
huh? some type of bug?
Nah. You need a troll's tongue for the quest Melitele's Heart but I didn't want to kill him (he's the only troll) and the only other way is to beat a guy at dice but that's only if you haven't beaten him already from another quest. Also the troll needs to stay alive to fix the bridge to complete another quest, Mystic River.

Vestal

Tokubetsu

Just beat it. GOTY. The ending resolves pretty much everything going in TW2 while still setting up expansions/sequels. I really hope they do expansions. They're not as popular as they were back in the day but this engine is great and I'd like to see more Witcher sooner rather than later. Definitely going to be starting a second playthrough ASAP. Might wait for the new AMD drivers though. We'll see. I just love this game too much.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Is the game replayable at all? Maybe for the desicions or something else

I just reached Vergen. OMG the music.

Honestly if the game stopped now I would still rank it as one of my GOTF. If I load the game again to find a piece of shit with confetti around it with The End written across the screen I wouldn't even be mad.

Zel3

i love my new armor

downside is i can't see geralts beautiful gray hair D:

newarmor.png

Tokubetsu

dgenx said:

I know for a fact I missed a bunch of hidden and monster stuff in Act II and III (started some, couldn't find the end etc). That and CDP has said there are something like 16 different endings in the game. The one I got was a bit of a mixed bag. Decisions are a bit harder to make in this one than they were in TW1. I was still hurting from decisions I made in the prologue and some characters that are brought up then were never seen again in my play through. I get the impression I'd get to see them again if my choices were different.

sflufan

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I know for a fact I missed a bunch of hidden and monster stuff in Act II and III (started some, couldn't find the end etc). That and CDP has said there are something like 16 different endings in the game. The one I got was a bit of a mixed bag. Decisions are a bit harder to make in this one than they were in TW1. I was still hurting from decisions I made in the prologue and some characters that are brought up then were never seen again in my play through. I get the impression I'd get to see them again if my choices were different.

There aren't really 16 different endings as much as there are 16 different "end states" based on your decisions.

Exuro

dgenx said:
Yes there are alternate paths for chapter 2 depending on choices you made in chapter 1.

toasty_T said:
I just reached Vergen. OMG the music.

Honestly if the game stopped now I would still rank it as one of my GOTF. If I load the game again to find a piece of shit with confetti around it with The End written across the screen I wouldn't even be mad.
I absolutely love the prologue and chapter 1. Chapter 2 is well done, although it feels like some things could have been done better. Chapter 3 just isn't very good and should be called the epilogue.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So, I was in Flotsam, and a group of bandits from Vizima decide they're going to fuck me up. I say "Okay, let's do this". But they're not doing anything. They're just hanging around in a circle talking to each other. I say "fuck it, whatever" and go on my way.

Fast forward 3 hours later (real time). I walk into Flotsam after an extended jaunt in the forest, and cross these bandits again. Oh look, they finally want to fight me. That's fine. I floor all of them, finishing the last one with a particularly nasty Aard aided finisher.

Great. Awesome. Let's get going. We have stuff to do.

Uuuhhhh....

Why can't I put my sword away? People are gathering and starting to stare. PUT YOUR SWORD AWAY GERALT. Press 1. Nope. Press 2. Nope. Nothing is working. I don't want to cause a stir, so I'm not moving around and scaring people, but I also have shit to do. WHAT THE FUCK GERALT PUT YOUR SWORD AWAY.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Technosteve said:
We are on the front of the witcher 2 community section, they lurk these threads!
Good, maybe they can tell me why i can't put my sword away (and also that Grapeshots need a patch).

Sober

Hmm, this happened twice near the end of Act 2, a bug?:
I get into the caves to fight Dethmold and Adam Praggett, but am I supposed to just not hit Dethmold? I know if I bump his health down to 0%, he retreats behind that barrier and eventually comes back in to fight, but after I kill everyone else he just stays still standing there. The guide says he's supposed to open a portal but haven't seen it yet. Does he have to be in the "arena" when I kill all the mercs or something? Happened twice, strange enough

Zeliard

thetrin said:
Why can't I put my sword away? People are gathering and starting to stare. PUT YOUR SWORD AWAY GERALT. Press 1. Nope. Press 2. Nope. Nothing is working. I don't want to cause a stir, so I'm not moving around and scaring people, but I also have shit to do. WHAT THE FUCK GERALT PUT YOUR SWORD AWAY.

Not me. Along with 1 + 2 and the CTRL menu there is also a specific sheathe button, which is 0 by default. Try that? But I've never had an issue with just hitting 1 or 2.

Exuro

Sober said:
Hmm, this happened twice near the end of Act 2, a bug?:
I get into the caves to fight Dethmold and Adam Praggett, but am I supposed to just not hit Dethmold? I know if I bump his health down to 0%, he retreats behind that barrier and eventually comes back in to fight, but after I kill everyone else he just stays still standing there. The guide says he's supposed to open a portal but haven't seen it yet. Does he have to be in the "arena" when I kill all the mercs or something? Happened twice, strange enough
I had that happen to me too. I fixed it by
fighting him last. Kind of sucked as he is the only menacing guy there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Zeliard said:
Not me. Along with 1 + 2 and the CTRL menu there is also a specific sheathe button, which is 0 by default. Try that? But I've never had an issue with just hitting 1 or 2.
Reloaded my save game, and 1 and 2 work again. Not sure what happened.

Luthos

thetrin said:
I had that problem once. Neither 1, 2, or 0 worked. And I did know about 0 at the time. Pretty sure it let me sheathe a few minutes later.

Zeliard

thetrin said:

Just one of em thangs. Relative to The Witcher 1 though I'm finding this to be quite bug-free so far. I haven't had any scripting issues or anything like that. Been smooth sailing, knock on wood.

Only hangup I have from a mechanics standpoint is some of the hit detection in combat, and I don't like the way the lock-on feature works at all. Frankly it's terrible, but fortunately other facets of the combat and improvements there manage to overcome that issue.

Link0080

~Kinggi~ said:
Really interesting turn of events.

Emailed support again about whole DVD install issue. Said i would much prefer to download on gog than torrent their stuff. 20 minutes later they gave me a full redeem code for Witcher 2 on gog. Havent even given credit card info yet and im already downloading. That was kinda nice.
Lucky you, I still have not gotten a single email from them. I hope I at least get something from them by tomorrow.

thetrin

Man, do I really have to watch this whole cutscene every time the Kayran kills me in 5 seconds?

thetrin said:
Man, do I really have to watch this whole cutscene every time the Kayran kills me in 5 seconds?
The skip feature is fudged up there. Try RMB then LMB then LMB again to skip.

edit: I meant the opposite.

TheKurgan

My will is weak and the screenshots look to good. +1 steam purchase. I have never played a Witcher game before but I think it will be up my ally.

Now I just have to wait for the download (1.3MB/s)

woober

thetrin said:
So, I was in Flotsam, and a group of bandits from Vizima decide they're going to fuck me up. I say "Okay, let's do this". But they're not doing anything. They're just hanging around in a circle talking to each other. I say "fuck it, whatever" and go on my way.

Fast forward 3 hours later (real time). I walk into Flotsam after an extended jaunt in the forest, and cross these bandits again. Oh look, they finally want to fight me. That's fine. I floor all of them, finishing the last one with a particularly nasty Aard aided finisher.

Great. Awesome. Let's get going. We have stuff to do.

Uuuhhhh....

Good, maybe they can tell me why i can't put my sword away (and also that Grapeshots need a patch).

I had the same issue BUT I managed to fix it by reselecting the weapon by pressing ctrl. Choose your sword again and it'll sheath. Win!

suikodan

Another bug here, even though I run the game in full screen, the game will at some point go back to the desktop without crashing. I can go back to the game by clicking on the icon but it's quite annoying.

Anyone would know?

And for my first bug, I turned off some options in the Catalyst program, clicking on Let Application decide.

thetrin

It's fine. I beat the kayran. Took me a couple tries. Turns out, it never threw boulders at me. I beat it after only cutting off two of its arms. Is there a longer way to beat it?

(Played on normal)

Macattk15

Hmmm. Whenever I try to complete the quest where I close down the dude's incense shop in Flotsam it just goes to a black screen and never returns.

Can still hear footsteps and everything ... but just no visuals.

thetrin

Macattk15 said:
Hmmm. Whenever I try to complete the quest where I close down the dude's incense shop in Flotsam it just goes to a black screen and never returns.

Can still hear footsteps and everything ... but just no visuals.

I had a similar issue walking out of the tavern one time. It wasn't a repeat problem, though.

I can see how people can finish this game in 25 hours but you're doing yourself a huge disservice by doing so. So many little touches they put into this game. I'm still only playing through Act I and there are quite a few sidequests...

Zeliard

Another issue I have with the combat is I can't get off those pirouettes and flying Geralt attacks with consistent reliability. I know they're basically context-sensitive due to where you are relative to enemies, but it's tricky to judge. Sometimes I want Geralt to leap to an enemy but he just swings his sword through the air. Same thing with that rolling-into-slash maneuver, I can't seem to always get it off when I want to. Wish the controls had more precision to them.

Animator

Gully State said:
I can see how people can finish this game in 25 hours but you're doing yourself a huge disservice by doing so. So many little touches they put into this game. I'm still only playing through Act I and there are quite a few sidequests...

I spent close to 20 hours on chapter 1 alone and I missed a ton of quests that are locked due to choices you make.

Macattk15

thetrin said:
I had a similar issue walking out of the tavern one time. It wasn't a repeat problem, though.

Ah. Well it is everytime I try that outcome of the quest ... where I tell the guy I'm going to come back with uh ... the guy who runs the place.

_Xenon_

Banned
Exuro said:
Complete BS. I did "most" of the sidequests and listened to everyone I could as well as just kill stuff for fun and finished in 28 hours. I could see someone playing for 40 hours but that would be doing everything there is possible and then some.
According to the guide book chapter 2 and chapter 3 have totally different main AND side quests AND starting villages based on previous chapter's choice. 40 hours gameplay is pretty much on spot IMO.

thetrin said:
It's fine. I beat the kayran. Took me a couple tries. Turns out, it never threw boulders at me. I beat it after only cutting off two of its arms. Is there a longer way to beat it?

(Played on normal)

What's the Kayran?? It has arms? You can cut them off?? SPOILER THAT FUCKING SHIT FFS!!!

thetrin

ColonialRaptor said:
What's the Kayran?? It has arms? You can cut them off?? SPOILER THAT FUCKING SHIT FFS!!!
Sorry dude. People have been talking about it for the last 5 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom