• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

sflufan

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
According to the guide book chapter 2 and chapter 3 have totally different main AND side quests AND starting villages based on previous chapter's choice. 40 hours gameplay is pretty much on spot IMO.

Right -- that's exactly how you get to CDP's magic number of 40 hours.

Unlike the first game where there were only a few quests that were locked to you based on your decision, there are a substantial number of quests in this one that are decision-based.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyway, it turns out I beat
the kayran
the short way. How did everyone else beat it?

Zeliard

Salaadin said:
Walking around town at night, no music...just frogs and crickets. Im in love with this game.

Yeah the general ambience is striking. Even just a random NPC's house feels lived-in, warm, and is full of nice little details. And when it's pouring rain at night in Flotsam and you enter the inn/bar, it actually feels like you're taking shelter from bad weather in a warm, inviting place.

CDPR really nailed it there, it's beautiful stuff.

_Xenon_

Banned
suikodan said:
Another bug here, even though I run the game in full screen, the game will at some point go back to the desktop without crashing. I can go back to the game by clicking on the icon but it's quite annoying.

Anyone would know?

And for my first bug, I turned off some options in the Catalyst program, clicking on Let Application decide.
I have the same problem even I play in window mode with pad. Sometimes I have to re-click the game window with mouse because for some reason the game window just loses its windows focus.

And how do you find those options in catalyst control center? I'm using a mobility version (I play on laptop) but there's not much I can do in the CCC.

Miroku

Started a new game on Normal
Talked to some guy about a dragon
Spawn in to a warzone running away from a dragon while having to kill like 20 guys in a row while dodging dragon fire and my teammates fireballs.
Spend 25 minutes trying to pass this and cannot do it.

wtf :(

Lime

I am currently browsing the screenshots of my playthrough and I swear that 90 % of them are desktop worthy. This game is that incredible to look at.

Zeliard said:
Yeah the general ambience is striking. Even just a random NPC's house feels lived-in, warm, and is full of nice little details. And when it's pouring rain at night in Flotsam and you enter the inn/bar, it actually feels like you're taking shelter from bad weather in a warm, inviting place.

The sound of kindle burning in this game is especially great.

jim-jam bongs said:
If it's not the most ideal how come it worked so well?

It doesn't.

And did you just suggest that the primary CC in a game which throws groups of enemies at you is a short range channeled ability which only affects a single target?

As opposed to a stationary "mine" that has a very random "effect" that may not immobilize anything reliably? Yeah, see when you mind control a mob it attacks what near it and they then attack it, therefore tying up any group or in this example of two individually powerful mobs takes one completely out of the picture while it soaks up damage AND wounds its partner.

Yeah, lets lay a mine that may not work that takes time to cast and must be walked over. Intending to CC a mob that spawns directly on top of us and can kill us nearly instantly. As opposed to a guaranteed MC mob. Maybe said skill gets better but its complete ass in the scenario we are talking about.

Hard mode, try it.

thetrin said:
Sorry dude. People have been talking about it for the last 5 pages.

Heh... it's okay man, I know what the thing is... but I was just getting frustrated that I was having to skip so many posts because nearly every post I was reading was almost always openly discussing spoilers without considering that the stuff they were saying was spoilers.

I know what the Kayran is, I didn't know that you could cut off it's arms though so I guess I was a little annoyed that I found that out... I was kind of making an example out of you... probably did it in a little too harsh of a way.

I should have said please mark any details of things with spoilers - but perhaps this way got noticed better?

Also... I don't know what your avatar is, but I just looked at it more closely... wtf is that? It looks like it's meant to be disgusting and made me feel a little sick in the tummy...?

RedSwirl

Zeliard said:

Yeah. Just walking through the town at night and seeing the lights on in each house feels really authentic despite the fact that practically every RPG has done it before. It's really hard to think of other cases where amazing art direction has meshed with a top-of-the-line engine.

The Witcher 2 is one of the most visually complete games I've ever seen.

antonz

RedSwirl said:
Yeah. Just walking through the town at night and seeing the lights on in each house feels really authentic despite the fact that practically every RPG has done it before. It's really hard to think of other cases where amazing art direction has meshed with a top-of-the-line engine.

The Witcher 2 is one of the most visually complete games I've ever seen.
The fact they went for a really authentic styled world even though its filled with mythical beats etc does wonders. You can really walk around the town and see an enviroment you would imagine in the late 1200s etc.

The medieval world they show really fits more than the overly joyful and colorful world alot of games go for. These guys in the shitty outskirts are living in a shitty outskirt town where nobody actually cares but some corrupt lawman out for his own good.

RedSwirl

antonz said:
The fact they went for a really authentic styled world even though its filled with mythical beats etc does wonders. You can really walk around the town and see an enviroment you would imagine in the late 1200s etc.

The medieval world they show really fits more than the overly joyful and colorful world alot of games go for. These guys in the shitty outskirts are living in a shitty outskirt town where nobody actually cares but some corrupt lawman out for his own good.

And yet this game manages to have more color than most anything I've seen recently.

matmanx1

Really progressing through Chapter 1 now and I keep finding little nooks and crannies in the town and forest that I had not seen before despite the nearly 10 hours of game time I've already clocked. The attention to detail and artistic excellence that CDP has on display here is really, really something to behold.

We have another thread discussing lighting and while I agree that the lighting suffers from too much bloom at times the overall artistic impression is fantastic. The Witcher 2 really is the "prettiest" video game I've ever seen and I'm enjoying even mundane things like walking around Flotsam just because it's so darn beautiful. I wish I was more eloquent and could better describe the feelings that are invoked in me but suffice it to say that I am completely immersed and connected with the world of The Witcher 2 in a way that I've been with few games before it. That's about the strongest praise I can give any game.

zlatko

Banned
This is the only game in like the last...I don't know how many years to just make me laugh my ass off so hard from the incredible dialog. Truly rare for a game to make me laugh. :)

Zeliard

Yeah the use of color is just exceptional. At one point during daytime I looked up at the blue sky in Flotsam - with the sky dominated by the huge, towering trees surrounding town - and it almost looked like a watercolor painting due to the combination of colors and the depth of field effect. Just gorgeous stuff.

Miroku said:
Spawn in to a warzone running away from a dragon while having to kill like 20 guys in a row while dodging dragon fire and my teammates fireballs.

You should definitely follow the correct order of the explanation here lol.

Zeliard said:
Yeah the use of color is just exceptional. At one point during daytime I looked up at the blue sky in Flotsam - with the sky dominated by the huge, towering trees surrounding town - and it almost looked like a watercolor painting due to the combination of colors and the depth of field effect. Just gorgeous stuff.

Oh yeah, looking up in Flotsam and in the forest is one of the most magnificant things that I've ever seen.

It's incredible how during one of the game world video interviews that I watched before the game was released the designers were saying that they went into so much detail with the world and how they meticulously placed every single tree, every single shrub and every single weed to make sure that it felt perfect in every area... I know what they mean now and it really paid off. Seriously the most detailed and amazingly perfect game world I've ever experienced.

By the way guys, if you're expected this game to set the sales charts on fire... don't - it's not gonna. No matter how good it is, it's too hard and too complicated for most people. Disappointing really because it's such a masterpiece. I really REALLY don't want this game to ever end :/ it's going to be so disappointing when it's over - and I understand that's why PC gamer docked points, because they wanted it to go on for longer... I hate it when games you just wanna keep on playing and playing end :( though, I don't really find it a reason to dock points... although, yeah... I dunno.

sflufan

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
I understand that's why PC gamer docked points, because they wanted it to go on for longer... I hate it when games you just wanna keep on playing and playing end :( though, I don't really find it a reason to dock points... although, yeah... I dunno.

Ahhh, length was not the reason why PC Gamer and Germany's Gamestar and PC Games docked points from the review score. You should read the text of their reviews to see why they did and length was only a very tangential issue.

RedSwirl

Oh, and is there anywhere in Flotsam I can find a diagram for crafting regular bombs (not the stun ones)? Or do you just get them somewhere?

_Xenon_

Banned
Some complaints about UI:
1. Inventory menu: the default focus should be on your inventory area (left area) instead of equipment area (right area).

2. The game can't remember my custom combination when making potions: I'd like to use my 50+ useless nekker hearts instead of diamond dust to make a potion but every time after finishing one bottle the game resets the combination to default and I have to re-click everything again.

3. 360 pad is almost useless in attribution menu and mutagen selection menu. The pad sensitivity there is out of hand I basically can't pick the selection I want.

_Xenon_

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Oh, and is there anywhere in Flotsam I can find a diagram for crafting regular bombs (not the stun ones)? Or do you just get them somewhere?
The quest elf NPC standing on the tree outside the town will sell you all kinds of bomb diagrams including the one used for nekker nests (grapeshot).

sflufan said:
Ahhh, length was not the reason why PC Gamer and Germany's Gamestar and PC Games docked points from the review score. You should read the text of their reviews to see why they did and length was only a very tangential issue.

Yeah it ended too suddenly or something, but that sort of seems like a length thing to me. The way I feel about it is that if I want a game to keep on going and then it ends, it feels like it ends too soon. I can't comment on how this happens because I haven't finished it yet, but I will have to just wait and see what I think when I finish it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
_Xenon_ said:
3. 360 pad is almost useless in attribution menu and mutagen selection menu. The pad sensitivity there is out of hand I basically can't pick the selection I want.

I'm glad to know it's not only me. It's bugged out, you can't select or read anything.

TheExodu5

Banned
ColonialRaptor said:
Yeah it ended too suddenly or something, but that sort of seems like a length thing to me. The way I feel about it is that if I want a game to keep on going and then it ends, it feels like it ends too soon. I can't comment on how this happens because I haven't finished it yet, but I will have to just wait and see what I think when I finish it.

No, it's a matter of the story not being properly concluded. It gives a feeling that the story was just cut short at a given point to get the game out of the door.

Miroku said:

Ha, I did the exact same thing. Like someone else said, responding in order helps a bunch.

Even after learning the combat, I'm strongly considering flipping the game to easy to get through the combat more quickly, but I'll give it more time to develop before ultimately deciding whether or not it's something I find satisfying enough to leave on.

zlatko

Banned
Snuggler said:
I'm glad to know it's not only me. It's bugged out, you can't select or read anything.

I thought it was just my d-pad, since the 360 controller I use is a MadCatz one and not an official Msoft one, so I figured it comes with the territory. Glad to see it's happening to everyone, which means CD can patch it in the future.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
zlatko said:
I thought it was just my d-pad, since the 360 controller I use is a MadCatz one and not an official Msoft one, so I figured it comes with the territory. Glad to see it's happening to everyone, which means CD can patch it in the future.

Yeah, I'm using a dualshock so it's definitely on CD P's end.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
ColonialRaptor said:
Also... I don't know what your avatar is, but I just looked at it more closely... wtf is that? It looks like it's meant to be disgusting and made me feel a little sick in the tummy...?
It's a 3DS in a man's ass...also it's from the 3DS safety and precautions manual.

Oh man, I think I'm taking this game too seriously.

I just realized I'm trying to play a shitty minigame (Dice Roll) so I don't have to kill an innocent troll and harvest his tongue. Stupid virtual morals.

zlatko

Banned
Dmax3901 said:
I imagine this has been asked before but SEX. How do I get some?

In Flotsam that is.

Find Snoop Dogg and Don the Magicwon... they'll hook you up.

Check out the brothel duuude. :p

Kaldea

Absolutely loving this game so far. Trying not to play much at a time so I don't finish it too quickly.

I still enjoy playing the dice game, but I can't help but miss some of the sound effects from the dice game in the first TW. Made it a bit more satisfying when you win. :D

Blizzard

Banned
Miroku said:

Hahaha, that may have been my first choice too. I was WONDERING why I had no potions. Took me like 10 deaths to get past that on normal, even with the shield spell.

zlatko said:
Find Snoop Dogg and Don the Magicwon... they'll hook you up.

Check out the brothel duuude. :p

Brothel was hard to find for a while for me but there is a door next to bar fight area that takes you to the PROPER brothel area.

You have to offer them full price in order for them to accept your offer.

Anyone notice neogaf is now being linked on the Witcher 2 site as an alternative (to their down servers). Need a patch asap so I can play! Cant figure anyway around it, I cannot interact/speak with any NPC. Even if I use a save from hours previously the NPCs turn off at some point.

Kaldea said:
Absolutely loving this game so far. Trying not to play much at a time so I don't finish it too quickly.

I still enjoy playing the dice game, but I can't help but miss some of the sound effects from the dice game in the first TW. Made it a bit more satisfying when you win. :D

The dice game is the one thing that oddly seems a lot worse in Witcher 2. What is up with that pathetic manual dice roll? The automatic animations from the first game looked way better. And then there are the numbers on the dice, which look ugly and sometimes even make it hard to see what the numbers are. The artwork on the board and the music are also inferior to the first game's dice board.

They should of just left the dice game alone. It was perfect in the first game.

TheExodu5 said:
No, it's a matter of the story not being properly concluded. It gives a feeling that the story was just cut short at a given point to get the game out of the door.

hey, at least all dlc will be for free right?

About that Troll Trouble DLC, first I clicked download and it had a file that was like 7.5 mb's and that bar was on the main launcher window, it disappeared so I launched the game, no message board side quest or anything.

So I relaunched the dlc sub menu, the little icon is green now, I clicked it, and this thing is pulsating Downloading with a little square next to it.....

Is this normal? It's been doing that for a good 15 minutes...

thetrin

scorpscarx said:
About that Troll Trouble DLC, first I clicked download and it had a file that was like 7.5 mb's and that bar was on the main launcher window, it disappeared so I launched the game, no message board side quest or anything.

So I relaunched the dlc sub menu, the little icon is green now, I clicked it, and this thing is pulsating Downloading with a little square next to it.....

Is this normal? It's been doing that for a good 15 minutes...

Did you download and then install? You have to install DLC for it to appear in the game.

joesmokey

Finally caved and bought the game, loving it so far! Graphics are amazing and combat seems much improved, though I'm having a hard time with it. I started off with the second option in the prologue (storming the tower) and holy crap were there some hard sections to go through. Once I got used to the combat though and properly used buffs and spells, I had a much better go at it. Only thing that's annoying so far is how Block is associated with Vigor, but I guess it would be too overpowered otherwise. Fighting multiple enemies is still pretty tricky, I usually end up kiting them.

I still need to figure out how to use potions :(. The tutorial tooltips are fairly worthless.

thetrin said:
Did you download and then install? You have to install DLC for it to appear in the game.

Where? In the download folder in doc's? That disappeared now it's just downloading with a pulsating square (under that picture and short description in the dlc window).

Getting impatient as hell.

Zeliard

I spent my first talent point once the other trees opened up on Feetwork, which increases your rolling distance by 100%. Everyone should probably try to grab that one early on, it's pretty much invaluable as far as I'm concerned. I'm rolling all over the place, enemies have no idea wtf I am. Its second level increases distance even further.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
fuckin nekkes or whatever, do I have to
kill them all or seal the exits?

Animator

/\/\ destroy the nests with the grape bomb.

--

Everybody remember to read the quest entries in the journal because they are hilariously funny. In case you havent noticed they are all written by Dandelion. :D

Zeliard

Animator said:
Everybody remember to read the quest entries in the journal because they are hilariously funny. In case you havent noticed they are all written by Dandelion. :D

Yeah I read them all, I like his on-going updates.

joesmokey said:
Finally caved and bought the game, loving it so far! Graphics are amazing and combat seems much improved, though I'm having a hard time with it. I started off with the second option in the prologue (storming the tower) and holy crap were there some hard sections to go through. Once I got used to the combat though and properly used buffs and spells, I had a much better go at it. Only thing that's annoying so far is how Block is associated with Vigor, but I guess it would be too overpowered otherwise. Fighting multiple enemies is still pretty tricky, I usually end up kiting them.

I still need to figure out how to use potions :(. The tutorial tooltips are fairly worthless.

you can't use potions mid battle. potions are reserved for preparation before battle, you have to meditate and choose drink potions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom