• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished my 2nd playthrough. I knew you could make choices to change the story, but it really changed the story. Definitely worth a second playthrough.

Riposte said:
Kind of, yes. There is an epilogue chapter just like TW1.

Cool, I'll need to finish the gargoyle contract then. Can't find the third chest.

Also, is it necessary to make the armor to conclude Mystic River? I prefer the Ygrith armor tbh

Gunpriest

Neo Member
ColonialRaptor said:
Agreed... what the FUCK were they thinking not putting a storage chest in the game... that is the most crazy stupid oversight I've ever seen... what the hell? Or was it deliberate? Deliberately stupid... Are they patching that in? :(

I installed the zero weight mod because of that. I am a loot whore and want to pick up everything. I think it is called point & click adventure disorder ;)

And i hope someone makes a mod that allows respec and overwriting mutagens and upgrades. It is just plain dumb that i can't at least overwrite an armor upgrade with a better one, losing the old one in the process. Since you don't know when you get better armor or upgrades, placing an upgrade is kinda a tough choice. A bit more flexibility wouldn't hurt the game.

JWong

Banned
toasty_T said:
Cool, I'll need to finish the gargoyle contract then. Can't find the third chest.

Also, is it necessary to make the armor to conclude Mystic River? I prefer the Ygrith armor tbh
Chest areas are pretty much near where you need to kill gargoyles. You'll find it.

Gunpriest said:
A bit more flexibility wouldn't hurt the game.

Although I agree, this is part of the Witcher - decisions are not easy, and you should weight them carefully. I would've liked for to be turned on/off according to one's playstyle.

I have a question about Chapter 3: some of you mentioned fighting optional boss. I also read that
there was supposed to be a sword in the dungeon that will allow to understand the Wild Hunt
. Where's that, I'm thinking I might've missed it?

Castor Krieg said:
We are getting on story here, but this is explained:
Geralt mentions to someone, that the King of the Hunt he killed was a wraith, but he remembers killing the Huntsmen who had blood just like regular people. My guess is the King of the Hunt in W1 is simply a leading wraith, and can be easily replaced

Personally I think it was just a convenient retcon, although your explanation makes sense too. It's just odd that they never made any reference to it, even to say
"Oh that was all inside the Grandmaster's head so it never actually happened" which would be slightly awkward, but at least it would tie up that loose end.

Tain said:
Insane mode would make more sense if you couldn't load mid-combat.

I think when you are playing insane you can only ever load the latest save, and are forced to exit on save... or did I totally imagine reading that somewhere in the lead up to release?

Sullen

Do you ever find some place to store all the materials that you've acquired? I'm four hours into the game and my character is totally weighed down by all these bullshit materials I'm carrying, but I'm afraid to sell them because I'm not sure if they will be useful for some kind of crafting. What should I do?

Sullen said:
Do you ever find some place to store all the materials that you've acquired? I'm four hours into the game and my character is totally weighed down by all these bullshit materials I'm carrying, but I'm afraid to sell them because I'm not sure if they will be useful for some kind of crafting. What should I do?

Sell them, you never get storage. If you ever find that you want to craft something you'll be able to go for a walk for about 10 minutes and gather your mats, there's very little point to saving them.

Was watching my brother play a moment ago, and - MINDBLOWN - did anyone notice one of the dreams in Chapter
is
Soldier wanting to do it with Saskia?
. The thing is: is it his or hers?

markot

Banned
Got up to
the Letho fight >.< damn hard stuffs... and I picked the elfs I think cause I threw him a sword when the shit went down...

Is that the end of chapter 1 for me >.>? Cause I had a few other quests that I hadnt completed...

Also I havent ploughed anyone yet.... Feels so weird given how quick in the first one youd get to the... ploughing...

Gunpriest

Neo Member
Did someone else have problems with the gamepad controls locking up? Sometimes i could only run around, no attacking, rolling, magic etc. until i got hit. I am running xpadder in the background, so i can use the back-button for inventory (no other keys are mapped in xpadder). Going to turn it off and see if it happens again. Just wondering though.

Castor Krieg said:
did anyone notice one of the dreams in Chapter
is
Soldier wanting to do it with Saskia?
. The thing is: is it his or hers?
I noticed that too, there is so much funny shit in this game.

Its probably the peasants dream as it's labelled as such. They all wanna deflower the virgin of Aedirn :D

markot said:
Got up to
the Letho fight >.< damn hard stuffs... and I picked the elfs I think cause I threw him a sword when the shit went down...

Is that the end of chapter 1 for me >.>? Cause I had a few other quests that I hadnt completed...

Also I havent ploughed anyone yet.... Feels so weird given how quick in the first one youd get to the... ploughing...

It's not the end, you still have at least one important decision to make. You'll be able to finish all of your side-quests off before it too, it's pretty obvious when it happens and it's not a timed conversation (which would have been pretty mean).

And ye'll get to plough someone soon lad, don't fret. Ye missed yer chance with Merrigold though.

Dina

Snuggler said:
So I just had an interesting glitch. I was fiddling around in some catacombs and apparently Geralt's ponytail got stuck on something and stretched out infinitely. It went all the way to the Inn in Vergen.

http://www.abload.de/img/wtfponytailvm3x.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/wtfponytail2dku5.jpg

pretty awesome, but thankfully it went away after a reload

Just as an FYI, I typically run into that sort of error when a video card is overheating. It certainly is not always the case, but is something to look out for if you are not already.

Such a wonderful game to play! Just enter Chapter 2.

I hope they can patch the save files comes with JPG pic not BMP. My save folder is around 1gig because of that... lol

Gunpriest said:
Did someone else have problems with the gamepad controls locking up? Sometimes i could only run around, no attacking, rolling, magic etc. until i got hit. I am running xpadder in the background, so i can use the back-button for inventory (no other keys are mapped in xpadder). Going to turn it off and see if it happens again. Just wondering though.

Oh I almost missed this, I've had that too! Far out it's weird, pretty sure it only ever happens after I hit the use item button. Another thing I've seen is Geralt going into bullet-time when he throws a bomb without having a target. He looks down at the ground a bit then sort of hurls the bomb to his feet in disgust, then it goes back to normal. No xpadder here.

Tokubetsu

MickeyKnox said:
Not at all.

Whether or not you see that scene is dependent on the choice you make while assaulting the walls.

The closest I've come to it is her being removed from the torture chamber. How did you see it?

Snuggler said:
So I just had an interesting glitch. I was fiddling around in some catacombs and apparently Geralt's ponytail got stuck on something and stretched out infinitely. It went all the way to the Inn in Vergen.

wtfponytailvm3x.jpg

wtfponytail2dku5.jpg

pretty awesome, but thankfully it went away after a reload
check your temps, that looks an awful like a gpu artifact.

Couple of fixes they have to do (hope they are reading this):

1. Alchemy shouldn't default to any ingredient, once you put it there it should stay there until you run out or decide to change it.

2. Alchemy screen and quick selection should show the amount of herbs/materials/bombs produced.

3. Fixes to a few items "needed" in Chapter 3 which you can get rid of/use to make potions.

4. Crafting - schematics and potion recipes should be in the journal, after you buy the recipe you should be able to ditch it.

Others are less pressing (spoiler to Troll DLC:
I should've been able to get the tongue of of she-troll's head even after finishing Poker Face
)

Tokubetsu said:
The closest I've come to it is her being removed from the torture chamber. How did you see it?
You need to go through a secret passage, there's a trap door on the floor of one of the rooms.

markot

Banned
Torture bit!
you jump up this window thingy while escaping, you hear them yelling at her, and you jump down, take out the 2 guys, and she is there, nekkids

I thought that was the only way to do it >.<

Dina

markot said:
Torture bit!
you jump up this window thingy while escaping, you hear them yelling at her, and you jump down, take out the 2 guys, and she is there, nekkids

I thought that was the only way to do it >.<

Is this while assaulting, or while you are in the prison already>?

Tokubetsu said:

If you
go straight to the dungeon (torture room) by jumping down the trap door you'll see the executioner having his way with her. If you instead go upstairs the torturing will ave already taken place and the ambassador will gesture for you to follow him. If you go upstairs then down (like I did) she'll be gone but the executioner will still be there doing some maintenance on his equipment.

BeeDog

Is anyone else still having major problems with the Launcher/installing the available DLC? It seems that 1) the servers on CDP's end are completely busted, or 2) something's very wrong on my end. Can anyone help me out?

Tokubetsu

toasty_T said:
If you
go straight to the dungeon (torture room) by jumping down the trap door you'll see the executioner having his way with her. If you instead go upstairs the torturing will ave already taken place and the ambassador will gesture for you to follow him. If you go upstairs then down (like I did) she'll be gone but the executioner will still be there doing some maintenance on his equipment.

Half tempted to just try and start a new playthrough right now (I'm near the end of Act 1 in this new playthrough)

zlatko

Banned
Snuggler said:
Shit, could be, it was running really hot. Is there anything I can do about it?

What does this problem mean?

I had a similar thing occur a few days ago in Henselt's camp with Dethmold where pieces of him were doing that long stretch, but it went away after a little bit.

Snuggler said:
Shit, could be, it was running really hot. Is there anything I can do about it?

zlatko said:
What does this problem mean?

I had a similar thing occur a few days ago in Henselt's camp with Dethmold where pieces of him were doing that long stretch, but it went away after a little bit.

You may need better cooling is all. Personally I'd open up the case and aim a desk-fan or something directly at the card while the game is running to confirm that it is an overheating issue. And if so:

MickeyKnox said:
Turn up your fan speed.

Or look into another case/water-cooling if noise is a concern.

zlatko

Banned
Okay, I'll have to look into better cooling for my computer. I didn't build this rig, so I'm sure cooling isn't that well done.

Also, has anyone run into an issue in the game where randomly 3ish red splotches appear momentarily then disappear ? If you watch the Giantbomb.com quick look at the game they have it happen during the Fight Club scene.

It happens rarely for me, but I was wondering if this is another thing that happens as a sign of over heating ?

Erudite

MickeyKnox said:
check your temps, that looks an awful like a gpu artifact.
I wouldn't worry about it. It happened to me, and under load my GPU goes up to 50c at most playing TW2. Pretty sure it's just a strange bug.
zlatko said:
Okay, I'll have to look into better cooling for my computer. I didn't build this rig, so I'm sure cooling isn't that well done.

Also, has anyone run into an issue in the game where randomly 3ish red splotches appear momentarily then disappear ? If you watch the Giantbomb.com quick look at the game they have it happen during the Fight Club scene.

It happens rarely for me, but I was wondering if this is another thing that happens as a sign of over heating ?
I personally use CPUID Hardware Monitor to watch my temps. Not the best, but it does what I need it to do.

Kyaw

Does the gear continue over if you start a new playthrough?

Chapter 2 is great man.
Got to the bit where peasants started accusing Stennis of killing the Virgin of Aedirn. And the quarry is fucking massive.

zlatko

Banned
I'm looking at my heat stuff and I have:

Radeon 5870

Value-128 Degrees F Min- 127 Degrees F Max- 129 Degrees F

<_< That seems ridiculously stupid hot.

The motherboard is at 88-95 Degrees F and the fans are at around 830RPM.

Is this normal or really bad?

In Celsius it's:

44 degrees C for the card, 30 degrees for the mother board and its cores.

Totalriot

BeeDog said:
Is anyone else still having major problems with the Launcher/installing the available DLC? It seems that 1) the servers on CDP's end are completely busted, or 2) something's very wrong on my end. Can anyone help me out?

Same here. Me and a friend of mine Can't connect to their server.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:

Radeon 5870

Jesus christ, that's bad. For a GPU you should have it around 60-80 (running a game) butyour motherboard is getting hot really quick. Do you have any fans on the tower at all?

zlatko

Banned
ZombieFred said:
Jesus christ, that's bad. For a GPU you should have it around 60-80 (running a game) butyour motherboard is getting hot really quick. Do you have any fans on the tower at all?

I'm not even running a game when I took these temps lol. This is a Dell I got from Dell.com through the advice of PC Gaf. So I'm not sure what the insides look like at all.

I'll have to pop it open later and see if there's a lot of dust or clutter. I unfortunately have no way to set up a fan next to it or can place it anywhere else to help cool it off. :(

Kyaw

zlatko said:

Radeon 5870

In Celsius it's:

44 degrees C for the card, 30 degrees for the mother board and its cores.

ZombieFred said:

Dude, 44C is fine for the card. I'm guessing thats the temp at idle?

Load up the game, play a few minutes and tell us the temps again.

zlatko said:
I'm not even running a game when I took these temps lol. This is a Dell I got from Dell.com through the advice of PC Gaf. So I'm not sure what the insides look like at all.

I'll have to pop it open later and see if there's a lot of dust or clutter. I unfortunately have no way to set up a fan next to it or can place it anywhere else to help cool it off. :(
Your temps are fine >_<. It's not uncommon for graphics cards to hit 100 C under full load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom