• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gdt5016 said:
Well, that's a fucking waste... I max this game out and it looks gorgeous. There's just one tiny problem: I CAN'T SEE A SINGLE SHIT because I'll still hardcore and playing on a 4:3...

Any rumors of this at least getting a 4:3 patch? I feel like I've been robbed ._.

Jenga

Banned
Enduin said:
It felt rushed, I didnt expect every little thing to be wrapped up with a nice little bow but how it ended didnt feel right to me, it all felt hurried along and underdeveloped.
The thing is, instead of wrapping everything in a little bow, they did the exact opposite, and made everything into a big red balloon of plot developments. The assassin storyline ended, while a bunch of others began. I think it isn't underdeveloped as much as the story is just unfinished and left hanging for a sequel.

JohngPR

God, I love this game.

The areas are massive enough that they feel damn huge, but not big enough that you can't find stuff you need by just exploring. Act 1 minor spoiler:
Just found the Ostmurk just by exploring and finding the cave behind the waterfall
...so awesome. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
Yoshichan said:
Well, that's a fucking waste... I max this game out and it looks gorgeous. There's just one tiny problem: I CAN'T SEE A SINGLE SHIT because I'll still hardcore and playing on a 4:3...

Any rumors of this at least getting a 4:3 patch? I feel like I've been robbed ._.

Just get a new monitor. It will be awesome. There will never be a 4:3 patch.

Salaadin

JohngPR said:
God, I love this game.

The areas are massive enough that they feel damn huge, but not big enough that you can't find stuff you need by just exploring. Act 1 minor spoiler:
Just found the Ostmurk just by exploring and finding the cave behind the waterfall
...so awesome. :)

I got that a lot too. SO many times did I think I had the entire area laid out when Id find a new path branching off that leads to a whole new area. In some ways, TW2s smaller confined forests and areas feel more real than the open world, vast areas we get in other games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enduin said:
It felt rushed, I didnt expect every little thing to be wrapped up with a nice little bow but how it ended didnt feel right to me, it all felt hurried along and underdeveloped. Im not really disappointed with the content of the ending or the state of the world and Geralt, rather just how it was handled. Things progressed too quickly for me in chap 3 and while the kingslayer storyline was concluded neatly the rest of it just felt tacked on with very little weight behind it outside of the Wild Hunt, but even that was rather sparse and only bolstered by Letho's rather lengthy and informative last talk. Had it all been presented with a bit more depth and severity to it I might of felt differently but as it stands it was a weak ending for me. I expect theyve got a good deal in store for DLC and an expansion, hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

In my game at least, the rushed feeling was more than justified.
With Trish in the hands of the Nilfgaards, who are infamous for not being kind to their prisoners, Geralt needed to hurry his ass if he wanted to save her. After that it was only a matter of exposing the treachery of the Lodge of Sorceresses to the regents gathered in Loc Muinne.

Also, I don't see how anything felt tacked on. The kingslayer storyline
with Letho was mostly cleared up, but it's far from over. It just opened up to reveal a much bigger conspiracy with Nilfgaard trying to destabilize the north for an easy invasion and occupation.
I loved the big reveal at the end. It really showed how everyone had been playing a role, knowingly or unknowingly, in something much bigger, and set the story up for an awesome sequel.

So I just finished chapter 1 and was wondering if someone could tell me
who was the person Geralt told Roche to give the baby to? I'd never come across him in my game, or even heard his name mentioned!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Minsc said:
Just get a new monitor. It will be awesome. There will never be a 4:3 patch.
Ugh... if a 4:3 patch truly will not happen then I'm dropping this game for good. I can't get a new monitor, it's that simple.

Oh well, that was a waste.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Jenga said:
The thing is, instead of wrapping everything in a little bow, they did the exact opposite, and made everything into a big red balloon of plot developments. The assassin storyline ended, while a bunch of others began. I think it isn't underdeveloped as much as the story is just unfinished and left hanging for a sequel.

I know and like I said I didnt expect them to wrap it all up, so my issue is that the end felt abrupt and all those new plot developments had very little weight to them as a result of the quick ending and thus made the 3rd chapter and epilogue to me feel far weaker than the prologue, and chaps 1 and 2. I was really hoping for some actual scheming and back and forth between all the various powers meeting at Loc Muinne and getting the opportunity to learn about some of this different people I had heard about but never really got to know, but that never happened, there was basically a single quest in chapter 3 and then it was over.

Had there been a couple more quests and a few more hours of political intrigue and exploration in Loc Muinne providing some real flesh and bones to some of the coming events and major players building up to the games finale and reveal the chapter would have been much stronger for it. As much as I liked Letho I think too much was put into his last conversation, pretty much all of the important information and foreshadowing in all of chapter 3 and the epilogue was housed within that convo. He told you about everyone and everything you needed to know, it was too rich a convo.

Even though Letho is very far from the stereotypical evil guy that convo was very much like the evil mad man telling the hero every last detail of his devilish scheme, with all the who's, what's and why's just before he kills him just for the sake of tying up loose ends.

JWong

Banned
Zel3 said:
Anyone here manage to defeat
The Operator?
Does he drop anything good?I just gave up. :X
I did.

He's pretty hard even on easy. Those gargoyles are damn tough.

He drops a pretty wicked staff. 20% freeze and 100% incinerate. Acts as a heavy two handed weapon. 40-60 damage I think.

You also get dragon scale component should you make a decision that prevents you from getting some later on.

I bought this and LA Noire. I played LA Noire for about 2 hours on release. I then put in Witcher 2 and haven't went back. This game is just amazing.

I totally agree that Chapter 2 is much "easier" than Chapter 1. I'm really liking this game and hope it never ends. I'm actually feeling powerful now--just hacking through groups of harpies like it's nothing.

I plugged in my laptop to my TV through HDMI and am playing Witcher 2 with a 360 controller on my HDTV. I think that is the greatest strength of the PC. You can play games that absolutely require the PC interface (Victoria, Starcraft) as PC games, or others you can use your comfy couch.

BTW, is there any way to respec your character? Or even a new game plus option?

Tokubetsu

Enduin said:
I know and like I said I didnt expect them to wrap it all up, so my issue is that the end felt abrupt and all those new plot developments had very little weight to them as a result of the quick ending and thus made the 3rd chapter and epilogue to me feel far weaker than the prologue, and chaps 1 and 2. I was really hoping for some actual scheming and back and forth between all the various powers meeting at Loc Muinne and getting the opportunity to learn about some of this different people I had heard about but never really got to know, but that never happened, there was basically a single quest in chapter 3 and then it was over.

Had there been a couple more quests and a few more hours of political intrigue and exploration in Loc Muinne providing some real flesh and bones to some of the coming events and major players building up to the games finale and reveal the chapter would have been much stronger for it. As much as I liked Letho I think too much was put into his last conversation, pretty much all of the important information and foreshadowing in all of chapter 3 and the epilogue was housed within that convo. He told you about everyone and everything you needed to know, it was too rich a convo.

Even though Letho is very far from the stereotypical evil guy that convo was very much like the evil mad man telling the hero every last detail of his devilish scheme, with all the who's, what's and why's just before he kills him just for the sake of tying up loose ends.

Didn't feel like this at all.
It felt like a man people spent months overestimating and underestimating pulling down and getting the last laugh. "Turns out im not some big dumb oaf but not some twirly mustache villain either." Letho isn't "evil" or anywhere mad. He was in a corner and was given an offer he couldn't refuse (I doubt the Emperor would have let them walk had he/they refused). Which is why letting him go made the most sense to me. He hid things from you through out sure, he had a mission to accomplish, but he was completely straight with you wherever he could, more so than everyone else (Even Triss). You are given zero reasons to NOT believe him and he's so polite about everything, he'll still fight you if you feel it's needed. He could have cut and run.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Yoshichan said:
Ugh... if a 4:3 patch truly will not happen then I'm dropping this game for good. I can't get a new monitor, it's that simple.

Why don't you just hook up the PC to your TV?

PwyZHl.jpg

JohngPR

What did you guys choose in the hospital side quest in Act 1?

I let the ghost have Rupert and Gridley. Greedy mother fuckers deserved to die after torching the hospital and torturing people just for some treasure.

:p

Salaadin

JohngPR said:

I let the ghost have Rupert and Gridley. Greedy mother fuckers deserved to die after torching the hospital and torturing people just for some treasure.

Tried to trick the ghost, failed. Killed him and then turned the morons in.

thetrin said:
It's definitely his.
Saskie already has her own dream, as the dragon attacking La Valette Castle!

aw crap, why do I have to read that. I thought I was safe since I've pass the dream crystal quest.

Yoshichan

Aruarian Reflection said:

PwyZHl.jpg
Wow, you might be right. Which cables do I need to buy? I'd love you if you could help me with this :/

Sober

Tokubetsu said:
It felt like a man people spent months overestimating and underestimating pulling down and getting the last laugh. "Turns out im not some big dumb oaf but not some twirly mustache villain either." Letho isn't "evil" or anywhere mad. He was in a corner and was given an offer he couldn't refuse (I doubt the Emperor would have let them walk had he/they refused). Which is why letting him go made the most sense to me. He hid things from you through out sure, he had a mission to accomplish, but he was completely straight with you wherever he could, more so than everyone else (Even Triss). You are given zero reasons to NOT believe him and he's so polite about everything, he'll still fight you if you feel it's needed. He could have cut and run.
Wow, I actually did feel this way too. It made sense to me that
Letho wasn't just some thug, and he had a reason to work with the Emperor even though I'm pretty sure he crapped his pants at the sight of you, which probably explains why he's so straight with you in the first place.

-GOUKI-

Aruarian Reflection said:

PwyZHl.jpg
I tried to hook up my pc to tv but the colors in the games were super washed out :( Dunno whats wrong. I got the hdmi set up right and in my CCC its set to tv :(

MedIC86

Yoshichan said:
Wow, you might be right. Which cables do I need to buy? I'd love you if you could help me with this :/

Depends on what output your gpu has.

In case it has HDMi - get and HDMI cable simple.
If it has DVI, get a DVI - HDMI cable. but you will need to hook the sound in seperate cuz DVI is only image.

Divius

So I just got this game.. and I'm terrible at it. I'm a pretty good player of pretty much every game (if I say so myself), but somehow I just keep on dying with this one. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm still in that first village you enter, just found the secret entrance to the temple, so I am right at the start of the game. I feel like I'm missing something. Anyone got any pointers for sword fights against multiple enemies?

-GOUKI-

&Divius said:
So I just got this game.. and I'm terrible at it. I'm a pretty good player of pretty much every game (if I say so myself), but somehow I just keep on dying with this one. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I'm still in that first village you enter, just found the secret entrance to the temple, so I am right at the start of the game. I feel like I'm missing something. Anyone got any pointers for sword fights against multiple enemies?
No worries. The game is really friken hard. Alot of people here are playing at the lowest difficulty.

&Divius said:

This game is hard as SHIT during the first chapter. Just roll away from enemies and use grenades. Grape shot grenades once you can make those, any others until then. Good luck and be prepared to reload the game a lot. It DOES get easier as you get more powerful though, but pretty much all of Chapter 1 is a bitch.

Salaadin

&Divius said:

Early on where youre at, magical sign Quen is your best bet.
Are you at the location where you have to take on 3 soldiers, a shield, and 2 heavy armored guys? I took out the soliders first and then focused mainly on the armored guys. Once they were down, I went toe to toe with the shield. Just keep Quen up, roll dodge a lot, and attack whenever theres a safe opening. Try to spread them out if you can.

Keep an eye on your vigor too (yellow bars below health) since you cant cast magic or block when thats empty

Complistic

ColonialRaptor said:
So... can you say just a simple Yes or No answer to this does Triss comment to you about it?

I don't know if it comes up in this game. Though it seems like something that might get mentioned in the next.

Tokubetsu

&Divius said:

Don't rely on blocking until you get faster vigor regen and more bars. Early game, particularly that first chapter, you want to be abusing the living hell out of roll. Love the roll, fuck it, make it have your babies. Couple that with traps, bombs and the sigh "yrden." Everything you need to be focusing on in combat should be defensive in nature. Disabling enemies, giving yourself space etc. Focus on that. Use hit and run tactics on groups, don't invest on an enemy for more than two hits unless you're ABSOLUTELY sure you can get more in without being hit in the back. Without the the perk that negates backstab dmg, you're taking 200% dmg whenever you get hit in the back.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Tokubetsu said:

I know, Im not talking about Letho's character, that was pretty perfect, Im talking about the conversation itself. He doesnt seem like some twirly mustache villain but the context and content of his conversation does, in that its purpose was to explain away all the questions the plot had left and reveal the new ones. Everything in the plot fell to that one convo, which to me is far too much and simplistic. Had there been more to chapter 3 than a single rescue mission and we'd actually interacted and dealt with some other people that convo might not have needed to be so content rich, explanatory and one sided.

The whole of chapter 3 felt completely unnecessary other than to stage the final conflict. I mean you have an unprecedented meeting of all the powers of the north along with all the sorcerers and sorceresses and even Niflgaard representatives and none of that is utilized in any way for the players benefit, its all for the sake of the plot and over with barely an hour after you arrive.

Divius

Haha, alright. Thanks for all the support and tips guys. Good to know I'm not the only one struggling.

Salaadin said:
Are you at the location where you have to take on
3 soldiers, a shield, and 2 heavy armored guys?
I am indeed. Thanks for the tip.

Decay24

Neo Member
JohngPR said:

I did the same.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
&Divius said:

The game starts off pretty difficult. Once you get skills into the tree, the game get really easy. I played on normal starting out, turning down to easy when things were really rough. By chapter 2, I was on normal the whole time.

One thing that might not be automatic is to liberally use sword oil. That shit can make fights infinitely easier.

JohngPR

Yoshichan said:

No disrespect but I don't see how you can have a PC beefy enough to max out this game and still have a 4:3 monitor. o_o

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enduin said:

Really? I didn't feel that way at all, and was really impressed with how they handled that end part.

Letho knew that Geralt would not stop pursuing him so he decided to make a stand and clear things up. He didn't want to fight Geralt; he used to be something of a friend to him. He figured that if he explained everything to Geralt, he might be able to avoid a fight with him. However, Letho was also confident that he could wipe the floor with Geralt, so he wasn't afraid of a fight, but he didn't want to continue on having to worry about Geralt pursuing him.

_Xenon_

Banned
So in chapter 2, outside the Vergen gate:

I met the elf girl I saved from the burning tower in chapter 1 and she tried to off me "something" in return, but Geralt turned it down automatically and left me no options. Did I miss anything? I have seen the sex in scene on youtube so I'm sure it's the right girl.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
_Xenon_ said:

I met the elf girl I saved from the burning tower in chapter 1 and she tried to off me "something" in return, but Geralt turned it down automatically and left me no options. Did I miss anything? I have seen the sex in scene on youtube so I'm sure it's the right girl.
She gives you
a key to a mine in Vergen, next to the quarry. I forgot to go in, so I have no idea what's in there.

JohngPR said:
No disrespect but I don't see how you can have a PC beefy enough to max out this game and still have a 4:3 monitor. o_o
I don't understand how people can have a beefy machine, and NOT hook it up to an HDTV. It's wasted potential.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enduin said:
The whole of chapter 3 felt completely unnecessary other than to stage the final conflict.
I mean you have an unprecedented meeting of all the powers of the north along with all the sorcerers and sorceresses and even Niflgaard representatives and none of that is utilized in any way for the players benefit, its all for the sake of the plot and over with barely an hour after you arrive.

Spoilering that stuff just in case.

How was any of that underutilized? What meaningful interaction could there have been between all of those factions and Geralt, who may be a famous Witcher, but is not necessarily well liked by any of the major players, not to mention that he is wanted for Foltest's murder. Geralt influences a lot of meaningful events, but he's far from being some major political player, nor does he want to be.

I just don't really know what you were expecting. In my game, at least, the only reason Geralt even bothered to go to
Loc Muinne was to rescue Triss

_Xenon_

Banned
thetrin said:
She gives you
a key to a mine in Vergen, next to the quarry. I forgot to go in, so I have no idea what's in there.

I don't understand how people can have a beefy machine, and NOT hook it up to an HDTV. It's wasted potential.
There's a quest in Vergen mine but the girl didn't give me anything. I also tried the save before doing the mine quest but still nothing. The house next to her is locked and I heard it's supposed to be some kind of shortcut but now I'm screwed :(

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
_Xenon_ said:

It opens the door next to her which is a pretty handy shortcut to get around that area of the map.

Deadly

Just finished the game. The difficulty gap in Act 3 was ridiculous. Everything was so much harder. Also, I think CDR enjoyed KOTOR 2 abit too much :lol

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Really? The game felt exactly like STALKER to me (difficulty wise), you get your ass kicked at the start but by the end you just walk around murdering everything.

_Xenon_

Banned
Ikuu said:
It opens the door next to her which is a pretty handy shortcut to get around that area of the map.
Yeah I heard about that too. But in my version
the girl offered but Geralt refused. No options.
Is it because my retail version is marked as MA15+ so they must have fucked up something right? :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly said:
Just finished the game. The difficulty gap in Act 3 was ridiculous. Everything was so much harder. Also, I think CDR enjoyed KOTOR 2 abit too much :lol

What the shit? Were you playing on hard or something? On normal, I didn't die once in Chapter 2 or 3. What encounter did you find to be difficult?

_Xenon_ said:
Is it because my retail version is marked as MA15+ so they must have fucked up something right? :(

Yes, this must be the quest where "something" as a reward was removed.

Ferrio

Banned
Just started chapter 2. So far though I'm liking it, it's been really linear so far. Hoping that was just because it was tutorial time...

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
_Xenon_ said:

She banged my dude, so yeah.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ferrio said:
Just started chapter 2. So far though I'm liking it, it's been really linear so far. Hoping that was just because it was tutorial time...

It's a linear story-driven RPG with lots of side quests and multiple paths through the story. Were you expecting an open world game or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom