• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to the epilogue now

I hope nothing happened to Triss. I went after Saskia when given the option. I saved her and now Iorveth is all on my dick.

Lime

ZombieFred said:
Jesus christ, that's bad. For a GPU you should have it around 60-80 (running a game) butyour motherboard is getting hot really quick. Do you have any fans on the tower at all?

That's Fahrenheit, the backwards notion of measuring temperature. Notice the "F" afterwards, indicating measuring units.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Alextended said:
Still getting black screen in Flotsam when trying to complete the incense quest :(

Still can't create Samum bombs, it seems to work but they never show in my bag :(

Edit: and yep, sure enough the actual materials are all used up, but no bombs :(
Still getting the black screen bug. For the Samum bombs, I did another quest which stripped me of my inventory. When I went to get all my stuff back from the chest, it finally also gave me my Samum bombs, 16 of them that I had tried to create by now. I don't know if I can make more now, or if other items have the same issue.

CabbageRed said:
Sure it is. There is always a 'point of no return' in combat where you are screwed. When I get myself surrounded and know that I'm screwed, I don't think "I need a QTE," I die.
No, it's not. In the fight you could have played better, in a game over cut scene, you can't do anything better. Again, you CAN initiate combat by your dialogue and action choices in other parts of the game. What's the point of giving you choices that challenge or provoke an opponent if you can't actually fight them and must watch a game over scene? Especially when you're not standing against a damn army or anything, it's just a few elven archers with no element of surprise to help them.

zlatko

Banned
Kyaw said:
Dude, 44C is fine for the card. I'm guessing thats the temp at idle?

Load up the game, play a few minutes and tell us the temps again.

I played for about 20 minutes just now on the prologue of the game, and I remained at 40 for CPU, and went up to 70 on GPU.

This is on Ultra settings with only a few things like uber sampling and SSAO off. I'm guessing this is all super good?

Kyaw

Its uber good. My 480 goes up to like 80C with this custom cooler. So yours should be totally fine.

I got some badass steel sword from Cecil
for finishing Baltimore's quest.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Lime said:
That's Fahrenheit, the backwards notion of measuring temperature. Notice the "F" afterwards, indicating measuring units.

Ah, my bad. I thought it was Celcius :lol: Those Temps are fine.

Binabik15

How am I supposed to get Troll trouble?

After install my retail version went on to a registering page. Okay. DLC option still greyed out. Their website tells me that I need to register with them using the launcher. Okay.

I select create an account but I can´t type anything! And copying in text doesn´t work, either! Great. I go over to thewitcher.com and there´s a register/login fielc in the upper right corner. Yes! Oh, wait, they´re unclickable (for me). I´m sooo happy.

Help me, mighty GAF.

FGMPR

Banned
Snuggler said:
So I just had an interesting glitch. I was fiddling around in some catacombs and apparently Geralt's ponytail got stuck on something and stretched out infinitely. It went all the way to the Inn in Vergen.

wtfponytailvm3x.jpg

wtfponytail2dku5.jpg

pretty awesome, but thankfully it went away after a reload

That's really odd. That's the exact glitch I get with the dwarf models in the Witcher 1, except "it" stretches from underneath both hands to the floor.

Riposte

Castor Krieg said:
Was watching my brother play a moment ago, and - MINDBLOWN - did anyone notice one of the dreams in Chapter
is
Soldier wanting to do it with Saskia?
. The thing is: is it his or hers?

I didn't see that one I think. From Vergen? The harpy cave was pretty cool because of the dreams, I want to know if I missed any more.

Achamian

Seriously where the f*+# is sendlers house in flotsam. must have been in every house about 5 times looking for it. any help much appreciated!

Riposte said:
I didn't see that one I think. From Vergen? The harpy cave was pretty cool because of the dreams, I want to know if I missed any more.

It was in the harpy cave. I thought it was just a regular peasant girl, but when my bro played I noticed the character model and voice acting is that of Saskia's

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Castor Krieg said:
It was in the harpy cave. I thought it was just a regular peasant girl, but when my bro played I noticed the character model and voice acting is that of Saskia's

It said on the item itself that it was from a peasant. He wanted her.

gdt

Got a generic response from CDPR:

Hello,

I am very sorry to hear you have problems with our game.
Unfortunately sometimes DVD readers have problems with dual layer DVD discs, even when discs are in perfect condition.
In such case please follow instructions below:
1) Please make sure that any antivirus software is disabled during the installation process.
2) It is possible that your DVD drive is not compatible with DVD9 standard - please manually copy the files to your hard drive and try to install the game from there - with antivirus software disabled.
3) If this does not work, please try and install the game on another machine - also trying to manually copy the files with disabled antivirus software.

If following these instructions does not help, please contact us again.
We will try to answer you as fast as we can.

Gave these a shot, just because, and nothing. Now the waiting game again.

gdt

Got another email, in response to the more recent one I sent. The guy said my problem was because I input my CD Key wrong (the classic 0/O mistake), but I told him the installation locks up wayyyyyy before I even get asked for the code :lol. Awaiting more responses, they seem to be back at work now!

JohngPR

Technosteve said:
Just did the troll DLC quest, loot was lame until i went to the bandit's cabin nice swords in there. So does anyone know where i can look at which talents i can mutate?

Where is the bandit's cabin?

zlatko

Banned
gdt5016 said:
Got another email, in response to the more recent one I sent. The guy said my problem was because I input my CD Key wrong (the classic 0/O mistake), but I told him the installation locks up wayyyyyy before I even get asked for the code :lol. Awaiting more responses, they seem to be back at work now!

I've seen you suffering for too long. What all have you tried?

Tried redownloading/installing? Update drivers?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
JohngPR said:
Where is the bandit's cabin?

As you go down the ledge into the river where the troll is, turn right and continue until you see the broken bridge going up on the left. Go straight up this bridge and at the very end of this swamp there should be a cabin.

You need a key for it btw.

gdt

zlatko said:
I've seen you suffering for too long. What all have you tried?

Tried redownloading/installing? Update drivers?

The issue is that my (and others) retails discs don't work. They don't let you install. I've updated everything lol, no dice. Manual copy of the disc, nothing. Tried on another machine (downstairs computer that couldn't play it anyway lol), nothing.

Thought about downloading the game, and just using my cd key, but I really don't want to resort to that. Some here have gotten a free GOG version for their troubles, I'm hoping for that.

zlatko

Banned
gdt5016 said:
The issue is that my (and others) retails discs don't work. They don't let you install. I've updated everything lol, no dice. Manual copy of the disc, nothing. Tried on another machine (downstairs computer that couldn't play it anyway lol), nothing.

Thought about downloading the game, and just using my cd key, but I really don't want to resort to that. Some here have gotten a free GOG version for their troubles, I'm hoping for that.

Hmph. Well if you have the patience then hang in there, but I would've broke down and just downloaded the game and then used my CD key.

Mohonky

Just checked my gameplay clock on Steam. Holy shit! Have I really spent 27 hours on this game, so far? I'm still in Chapter 1. >:\/
Yeh i am shocked people have finished this already. I would be nearly double figures on playtime a d im stil on chapter 1 too.

Carm

So.. early on in act 2, regarding philippa in her room
did I miss a sex scene or was it suppose to play out as a joke? One of the dwarfs mentioned her female preference after I had already went to her and the scene played out.

Finished the game and posted my thoughts in the spoiler thread.

Fuck if this isn't the most intriguing fantasy setting around. I was thinking about buying DA2 later on when they combine all the DLC but I don't think I'll be able to stomach that playschool shit.

How many of the books have been translated? I have the last wish from TW1 EE, I'm especially interested in the one that involves (very very late games spoiler)
Saskia's dad

gdt

zlatko said:
Hmph. Well if you have the patience then hang in there, but I would've broke down and just downloaded the game and then used my CD key.

Okay, just got a response! I just gotta take a picture of my CD key, and they'll give me a GOG version. Now to take a picture...

Edit: Picture taken with webcam + prt scr. Bossness achieved.

Carm said:
So.. early on in act 2, regarding philippa in her room
did I miss a sex scene or was it suppose to play out as a joke? One of the dwarfs mentioned her female preference after I had already went to her and the scene played out.

You walk in on Philippa two times, the first time when the servant gives her back rub, the second time when she whips the servant (who is topless).

Van Buren

To those who have finished the game once, load up one of the countless autosaves to choose a different option before the final stretch of the game. I just did it, and encountered so many different events that I'm floored at the amount of thought that went into the various choices.

Carm

Castor Krieg said:
You walk in on Philippa two times, the first time when the servant gives her back rub, the second time when she whips the servant (who is topless).

Thanks, was just curious if that was a scene that would change depending on when you first spoke to her.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This game is fucking Amazing, 2 chapters and it's best game for me this year already, this is how you made modern RPG, hope other RPG devs playing this and taking notes.

And CDP should really stay on PC for their next project,I just don't want them to be limited in any way after playing this.

Is there somewhere Mutagen's are discussed in detail?

From what I understand (have read) you can apply a Mutagen but never replace it / remove it. So than, surely you wait until you find the best Mutagen's?

..Which leads me to ask - is there a list of those?

Van Buren

Epilogue spoilers :
It's great how Letho is written in such a way that he is not your typical caricature villain. After hearing of Geralt and Letho's past friendship and witnessing Letho rescuing Triss and keeping her safe from the violent mob out to kill mages, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to kill him. To add to this, his behavior at the epilogue - leaning casually against the wall, asking for vodka like as if he were an old drinking buddy, his nonchalance at taking care of Sila, his act of keeping Yennefer safe, etc. - that's the second time in running that the Witcher games have had a shades of gray antagonist.

Van Buren

Truant said:
How does the quality fare after chapter 1?

It's incredible throughout. Chapter 2 takes the 'faction' system that was in the first game to stratospheric levels. Chapter 3 and the Epilogue essentially form the ending arc, so expect the main plot to take over, with fewer sidequests compared to before. The story that started in the Prologue meets with a resolution, and strong hints are given about the conflicts that will take place in future games.

Van Buren said:
Epilogue spoilers :
It's great how Letho is written in such a way that he is not your typical caricature villain. After hearing of Geralt and Letho's past friendship and witnessing Letho rescuing Triss and keeping her safe from the violent mob out to kill mages, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to kill him. To add to this, his behavior at the epilogue - leaning casually against the wall, asking for vodka like as if he were an old drinking buddy, his nonchalance at taking care of Sila, his act of keeping Yennefer safe, etc. - that's the second time in running that the Witcher games have had a shades of gray antagonist.

I thought that was great too
Letho really grow on me in that final scene. He wasn't sitting around at in his fortress waiting on his throne for the final battle. He was waiting casually after shit clearly hit the fan just because he knew Geralt would want to talk and to deliver Triss. Probably the only genuine major character in the game, even moreso than Triss. When he said that if you let him go he'd never cross your path I actually believed him.

In the final cutscene,
what's the significance of the ladybug? Is it one of the sorceresses? If so who?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ladybug+symbolism

So could be a sign to show that Geralt will Yennefer in the next game.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm specced into magic right now on my second playthrough and I'm finding it difficult to charge up the adrenaline bar for the slow mo move (which isn't as effective as the sword one so far, hmm)

I'm just allowing enemies to strike at me with the shield up to get charges. Am I missing something important?

Also, my plan is to get only the important magical talents and quickly dive into Alchemy. A mistake I made with my first was only putting points into Swords. I want to experiment a touch more this time.

JohngPR

Pankaks said:
As you go down the ledge into the river where the troll is, turn right and continue until you see the broken bridge going up on the left. Go straight up this bridge and at the very end of this swamp there should be a cabin.

You need a key for it btw.

Cool, thanks! I got the key and did some exploring to try to find it but didn't go where you mentioned.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Truant said:
How does the quality fare after chapter 1?

Theres a sharp decline once you get to Chapter 3. The game really hurries you along to the conclusion by that point and to me it didnt seem like a necessity to the story but just a weak ending and rushed job. There was so much potential for the 3rd chapter with its setting and characters but it did nothing at all with it.

Its still a fantastic game but the overall plot felt rather incomplete and underwhelming to me and the revelations and build ups that are made in the epilogue felt more like a midseason TV show cliff hanger than a true conclusion and ending for a game. I really hope the DLC and expansion Ive heard some talk about arent too far down the line cause I really dont want to wait 3+ years to see some of this stuff get resolved.

gdt

Still waiting for my GOG code, should be over soon. But that guy was responding so much faster this morning :lol.

Hulud

I have a question.

Romance spoilers:
Does anyone know whether boning Ves in ch. 2 screws things up with Triss later on? The Steam Achievement for ploughing her is called "Heartbreaker", so I'm a bit worried about messing things up with the waifu. >_>

Complistic

Enduin said:
Theres a sharp decline once you get to Chapter 3. The game really hurries you along to the conclusion by that point and to me it didnt seem like a necessity to the story but just a weak ending and rushed job. There was so much potential for the 3rd chapter with its setting and characters but it did nothing at all with it.

Its still a fantastic game but the overall plot felt rather incomplete and underwhelming to me and the revelations and build ups that are made in the epilogue felt more like a midseason TV show cliff hanger than a true conclusion and ending for a game. I really hope the DLC and expansion Ive heard some talk about arent too far down the line cause I really dont want to wait 3+ years to see some of this stuff get resolved.

The plot of the game was the kingslayer. And that was wrapped up nicely as
you pretty much learn exactly how it all went down.
Everything else was a set up for a sequel.

Hulud said:
I have a question.

Romance spoilers:
Does anyone know whether boning Ves in ch. 2 screws things up with Triss later on? The Steam Achievement for ploughing her is called "Heartbreaker", so I'm a bit worried about messing things up with the waifu. >_>

It's possible. If you consider triss your waifu, then obviously don't do it.

Van Buren

Complistic said:
The plot of the game was the kingslayer. And that was wrapped up nicely as
you pretty much learn exactly how it all went down.
Everything else was a set up for a sequel.

Not only that, but the other political powers who are introduced during the end of the game are important players who commit a lot of mischief in the books. It would have been anticlimactic if they had all been controlled by the end of a single game. Where the second game ended is much more interesting since it hints at a conflict that is going to take place over a series of games, if the handling of the Wild Hunt is any indication.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
God damn it, really? Any patch to let me play this game in 4:3?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Enduin said:

I completely disagree. In my opinion, the quality never lets up. Chapter 3 isn't nearly the length of the first two chapters, but does that really matter? Honestly, considering the events that transpire in chapter 3, it wouldn't have made sense for it to be much longer.

The thing is, this isn't the conclusion to the story, so they couldn't have just wrapped everything up. You resolve the immediate issues that game up within The Witcher 2, learn a lot about Geralt's past and the world as a whole, and are set up nicely for the next title.

I really don't get the complaints about this game's last act.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Zefah said:
I completely disagree. In my opinion, the quality never lets up. Chapter 3 isn't nearly the length of the first two chapters, but does that really matter? Honestly, considering the events that transpire in chapter 3, it wouldn't have made sense for it to be much longer.

The thing is, this isn't the conclusion to the story, so they couldn't have just wrapped everything up. You resolve the immediate issues that game up within The Witcher 2, learn a lot about Geralt's past and the world as a whole, and are set up nicely for the next title.

I really don't get the complaints about this game's last act.

It felt rushed, I didnt expect every little thing to be wrapped up with a nice little bow but how it ended didnt feel right to me, it all felt hurried along and underdeveloped. Im not really disappointed with the content of the ending or the state of the world and Geralt, rather just how it was handled. Things progressed too quickly for me in chap 3 and while the kingslayer storyline was concluded neatly the rest of it just felt tacked on with very little weight behind it outside of the Wild Hunt, but even that was rather sparse and only bolstered by Letho's rather lengthy and informative last talk. Had it all been presented with a bit more depth and severity to it I might of felt differently but as it stands it was a weak ending for me. I expect theyve got a good deal in store for DLC and an expansion, hopefully it comes sooner rather than later.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Castor Krieg said:
Was watching my brother play a moment ago, and - MINDBLOWN - did anyone notice one of the dreams in Chapter
is
Soldier wanting to do it with Saskia?
. The thing is: is it his or hers?

It's definitely his.
Saskie already has her own dream, as the dragon attacking La Valette Castle!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom