• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
HixxSAFC said:
boss spoilers
use the Yrden sign to trap his 4 smaller tentacles then chop away at them luminous bulbs on them
How do I finish him once he
starts throwing boulders at me?

Unlimited XP in Act 3:
Kill the Order guys standing around one of the fires outside the city and they respawn instantly so you can just keep clicking until you reach 35.

LiquidMetal14 said:
fml I only went right. Thanks, I feel like an imbecile here!

Also, for an easy achievement
use the Kayran Trap which Cedric sells on one of the tentacles. The spot you need to lay it actually comes up as a context-sensitive spot if you have the trap in your inventory, so you just lay it then lure a tentacle in to it.

This is probably one of the only games I know I'm going to re-play as soon as I finish it.

I started a replay with the Witcher 1 but never finished it.

Looking forward to the changes depending on my choices.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Bizarre bug. I've been playing the game at Ultra at about 40 FPS, and all of a sudden, I load up my save game, and it's running at 5 FPS. What the hell? I even checked my settings and ubersampling wasn't turned on by mistake.

EDIT: Reloaded the game, and I'm back up to 60 FPS. What the fuck?

matmanx1

DualShadow said:
This is probably one of the only games I know I'm going to re-play as soon as I finish it.

I started a replay with the Witcher 1 but never finished it.

Looking forward to the changes depending on my choices.

Yep. I already know of some stuff from Chapter 1 that I would do differently and a quest or two I missed (including the Troll Trouble DLC bug. I will get it on the next go around) so there's plenty of fodder for multiple play through sessions.

Van Buren

Chapter 3 has been one giant moral dilemma so far with choices within choices. The optional boss took me over two hours to kill on Hard, but it was so worth it for the loot.

-GOUKI-

Van Buren said:
Chapter 3 has been one giant moral dilemma so far with choices within choices. The optional boss took me over two hours to kill on Hard, but it was so worth it for the loot.
Woah does the loot vary with difficulty setting? I've been playing on easy the whole time :(

Exuro

Van Buren said:
fuuu I just looked up how to get to him and I sold that item in Chapter 2 AND it's only possible with Roche side. But God damn do I love cool things like this.

On the topic of save importing:

No mention in the sequel of the fact that I killed the King of the Hunt. Which makes sense, because the game doesn't save after you kill him, but really jarring given how much Geralt discusses The Hunt during the game.

jim-jam bongs said:
On the topic of save importing:

No mention in the sequel of the fact that I killed the King of the Hunt. Which makes sense, because the game doesn't save after you kill him, but really jarring given how much
Geralt discusses The Hunt during the game.
You can't kill The Wild Hunt, you can only drive away their wraiths. It comes up in a conversation with Letho.

Complistic

question, but chapter 3 spoilers
Can anyone tell me if you decide to go with roche instead of rescuing triss, if triss actually dies?

leng jai

CE get.

What did Amazon end up doing about the dodgy busts? Mine arrived pretty beat up, though it was the least appealing part of the package for me. Partial refund would be the best outcome.

Atenhaus

Okay, I'm at a loss at how to deal with this. I'm currently in Act II.

I'm currently sneaking about Henselt's camp. I'm about to go around the second gate, but this goddamn cook keeps turning around and noticing me. He's located at the southwest edge of the camp.

Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Meier

Hmm.. DVD version is $44.99 on Amazon and still has $10 credit towards future purchase. I'd like to get Steam achievements and stuff with it but maybe I'll just pick up this version. Any chance they'll ever allow Steam activation?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Atenhaus said:

I'm currently sneaking about Henselt's camp. I'm about to go around the second gate, but this goddamn cook keeps turning around and noticing me. He's located at the southwest edge of the camp.

Get closer to him, a button prompt will come up allowing you to cast Axil on him.

For retail or Direct2Drive owners: Performance and loading issues have been fixed, head over to the Witcher 2 performance thread. Getting rid of your shitty SecuROM exe and dll's and replacing with the GOG versions gives these benefits:

5-20 FPS boost depending on whether you're moving or standing still

Boot time from Windows into main menu of game was reduced from 48 seconds to 6 seconds for me using an SSD.

Hope this helps anyone that's been getting horrible performance issues like I have.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Atenhaus said:

You'll get a QTE to use Axii on him.

Deadly

Uhm I think I'm at the end of Act 2 and
I'm fighting Dethmold and the mercenary guy and I've killed everyone and Dethmold is behind his barrier and nothing happens.

Am I fucked?

Exuro

Deadly said:
Uhm I think I'm at the end of Act 2 and
I'm fighting Dethmold and the mercenary guy and I've killed everyone and Dethmold is behind his barrier and nothing happens.

Am I fucked?
Happens to pretty much everyone. I fixed it by fighting dethmold last.

Tokubetsu

Exuro said:
Happens to pretty much everyone. I fixed it by fighting dethmold last.

Yeah.
Ignore deathmold for as much of the fight as you can (don't get him to teleport) then go after him once everyone else is dead.

To avoid the Dethmold bug:

- Don't hurt him much. If he's at less than 50% HP he will hide and not come back out.
- Don't use group-finishers on any of his guys.

It's a really annoying fight without being able to attack him though, he just dances around you destroying you with spells while you roll around the pillar in the room trying to avoid them. At one point it was me, Roche, Adam and Dethmold running around Benny Hill style for about 5 minutes.

Lostconfused said:
You can't kill The Wild Hunt, you can only drive away their wraiths. It comes up in a conversation with Letho.

Well that makes sense, yeah, I just wish that Geralt could have mentioned that he had actually faced The King of the Hunt at some stage during all of the discussions about them during the game. Like when he talks to Letho would have made total sense -- "hey you know how we tracked them down? I totally killed their boss in some guy's dream".

Snuggler said:
I just unlocked Heliotrope (fuck yes), but it's not in my radial menu with the rest of the signs.

what gives?

If it's like group-finishers you trigger it with D-Pad Up.

I have got the Moose potion now it tell me i need to drink it before fighting the Karayan...problem is that I dont know where to find the KArayan and there is no marker on the map...is that normal? where do I go now?

Kabuki Waq said:
I have got the Moose potion now it tell me i need to drink it before fighting the Karayan...problem is that I dont know where to find the KArayan and there is no marker on the map...is that normal? where do I go now?

Go see Sile (sorry, Sheila), her room is upstairs at the inn.

bigben85 said:
taken from a post on gamefaqs. Not sure if posted yet

weightless items mod . makes all items 0 weight. Doesn't affect anything else

http://www.mediafire.com/?o0ph3lbdyboaymw

Oh that would be sweet, they really need to include a bank or somewhere to store your items. (Unless I've completely missed it).

Exuro said:
Gotta make one.

Oh wow so if you don't have a save from Witcher 1 you gotta make you're own silver sword?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
DualShadow said:
Oh that would be sweet, they really need to include a bank or somewhere to store your items. (Unless I've completely missed it).

Oh wow so if you don't have a save from Witcher 1 you gotta make you're own silver sword?

It's due to the Witcher 1 saves having special imported weapons and armor.

DualShadow said:

It's super-cheap, and they give you the diagram. Your old one ended up
stuck in the roof of the dragon's mouth.

jim-jam bongs said:
It's super-cheap, and they give you the diagram. Your old one ended up
stuck in the roof of the dragon's mouth.

Yeah I played that part but still had my sword after which I thought was strange.

For those curious I was using the
Aerolight (sp?)
silver sword.

I think I'm approaching the end of Chapter 2 and fucking loving this game. A few quest related questions. Spoilering everything to be safe.

I went with Roche in chapter 1 and I've gone ahead and collected the banner, sword and spearhead over in Vernen. Borderline regret the choice because Henslet and Dethmold seem like d-bags and Sisaka seems pretty awesome but I digress...

1. Where is the second sunken ship for the Mystic River quest? It seems to be at the bottom Southwest of the map, how do I approach it? From the army camp or the Vergen side?
2. Vergen's main gate is closed off. Will I ever be allowed into Vergen or is that only if I sided with Ivoreth in Ch 1?
3. I killed the leader of the conspiracy under the brothel and took a key off his corpse but all the doors under there are still locked. Is that normal?
4. Can I go back and forth through the mist or am I stuck in the Vergen side for the time being? I tried but can't seem to find the gateway back through into the camp.
5. Is there anything to do over the Old Quarry?

Thanks

DualShadow said:
Yeah I played that part but still had my sword after which I thought was strange.

For those curious I was using the
Aerolight (sp?)
silver sword.

It's Aerondight I think, and yeah that's basically a bug/cheat for the people who did the import. I did import for my first run and also ended the prologue with it, but the other sword had mysteriously vanished from my inventory.

gdt

Ugh, still no response from CDPR. I have useless install discs. This is really frustrating. I really don't want to download anything, I want to support this company and this game. But, fuck!

jim-jam bongs said:
It's Aerondight I think, and yeah that's basically a bug/cheat for the people who did the import. I did import for my first run and also ended the prologue with it, but the other sword had mysteriously vanished from my inventory.

Thanks I knew it didn't look right haha.

Sir Garbageman said:
I think I'm approaching the end of Chapter 2 and fucking loving this game. A few quest related questions. Spoilering everything to be safe.

I went with Roche in chapter 1 and I've gone ahead and collected the banner, sword and spearhead over in Vernen. Borderline regret the choice because Henslet and Dethmold seem like d-bags and Sisaka seems pretty awesome but I digress...

1. Where is the second sunken ship for the Mystic River quest? It seems to be at the bottom Southwest of the map, how do I approach it? From the army camp or the Vergen side?
2. Vergen's main gate is closed off. Will I ever be allowed into Vergen or is that only if I sided with Ivoreth in Ch 1?
3. I killed the leader of the conspiracy under the brothel and took a key off his corpse but all the doors under there are still locked. Is that normal?
4. Can I go back and forth through the mist or am I stuck in the Vergen side for the time being? I tried but can't seem to find the gateway back through into the camp.
5. Is there anything to do over the Old Quarry?

Thanks

You can go back just use the medallion to show you the correct way, z, on keyboard.

JWong said:
So for romances...

Is there two romance options? Triss and Ves? Is there one for going Scoia'tel?

I know Saskia, the best looking chick in the game, is not romance-able.

Can anyone answer this?

bigben85 said:
taken from a post on gamefaqs. Not sure if posted yet

weightless items mod . makes all items 0 weight. Doesn't affect anything else

http://www.mediafire.com/?o0ph3lbdyboaymw

I got one last night that makes crafting items 0.1 each. I think that's a better trade off rather than making EVERYTHING 0. I think there should still be some form of inventory management but having unlimited inventory is cheating. I just don't think crafting / alchemy items should be limited. I should be limited in the number of weapons / bombs / potions / armour etc that I can carry, but not stuff that I can use to craft things, so I thought that was a better trade off.

Snuggler said:
I just unlocked Heliotrope (fuck yes), but it's not in my radial menu with the rest of the signs.

what gives?

You can use it once your adrenaline reaches max. If you want to go into slow-mo dome as often as possible upgrade the 2nd last and last mage abilities to full and get igni to full.

After a few igni blasts your bar will be all charged up. Once in the heliodome you can charge up for another one provided you have enough things to hit. My record is 5 in a row.

epmode

gdt5016 said:
Ugh, still no response from CDPR. I have useless install discs. This is really frustrating. I really don't want to download anything, I want to support this company and this game. But, fuck!
:(

At least the business week is starting now. I have a feeling that you'll get a GOG code at the very least.

epmode

ColonialRaptor said:
I got one last night that makes crafting items 0.1 each. I think that's a better trade off rather than making EVERYTHING 0. I think there should still be some form of inventory management but having unlimited inventory is cheating. I just don't think crafting / alchemy items should be limited. I should be limited in the number of weapons / bombs / potions / armour etc that I can carry, but not stuff that I can use to craft things, so I thought that was a better trade off.
I agree with 95% of this but I like being able to play dress up every once in a while and carrying around all of those weapons and armor is HEAVY. This is why we have storage chests!

gdt

epmode said:
:(

At least the business week is starting now. I have a feeling that you'll get a GOG code at the very least.

Yeah, I'm hoping those guys were just off this weekend or something. I'd love to get a response tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom