• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

Chapter 2/3 mobs just need buffs. In Chapter 1 at the beginning I was getting 1, 2, 3 shotted by guys which I actually liked, but in chapter 2 I could get hit 20 times and still win the fight.

zlatko

Banned
Corky said:
You used to be SF mang, what happened... you used to be cool :(

That's an odd way of spelling Super Street Fighter IV for the xbox 360 entertainment system TM

I'll be doing more SF when AE DLC drops. Still waiting to hear full details on PC version and its online component to see if I want to drop 40 on that or just the 20 for the DLC for my 360 version. I'm always there watching dat Team Spooky streams, and most other majors.

Starcraft 2 though is my favorite multiplayer game of all time. Nothing has rewarded me better than SC2 because I know my win is purely because I did everything right and without a random factor, and when I lose I know it was all my fault and I can learn from it. I can't say the same for SF sometimes, especially since the only way I play it is online which can be a downright mess.

But at least SF/SC2 Gaf unites for Geralt here with The Witcher 2 which is made of pure win. :D

Keikoku

Banned
Exuro said:
West side of the map, there should be a path somewhere around there before hitting the beach/cabin. The quest marker is screwed up during that quest.

I can't find it :(

Is it
near the place where you have an hallucination with a giant chicken ?

Exuro

Keikoku said:
I can't find it :(

Is it
near the place where you have an hallucination with a giant chicken ?
It's before that. There should be another entrance to a different path that leads you there.

Van Buren said:
The way Witcher 2 ended, everything's logically set up for an absolute screamer of a sequel. The problem with DLCs and Expansions is that sometimes the narrative does not move ahead far enough, and can stagnate, leaving the real plot developments for the sequel. Given the world-changing plot developments take place in the second game, the expansion will have its work cut out in this regard.

In that case I'd rather they release the mod tools for the engine and get to working on the sequel on the same engine.
I'm fine without moving the narrative forward. I love the secluded stories side quests have. As much as I want TW3 I don't want them to rush it and have it be basically TW2 gameplay wise. Obviously working more on TW2 won't make that happen but they'll be able to change certain mechanics, find what's more balanced and other things of the sort. I'd rather they figure out how to perfect TW2 and then take that experience and apply it to TW3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
But at least SF/SC2 Gaf unites for Geralt here with The Witcher 2 which is made of pure win. :D
Yes! :D

gdt

dionysus said:
Don't know the history of this but I'd imagine it is because it is 11:30 PM in Poland right now.

I guess. His last email to me was...8:26 am, and I sent my CD Key as 8:44 am (eastern time). So I guess around the endish of the work day.

Ugh. So close!

Riposte

I can think of some fixes. Hopefully implemented in a sequel or expansion.

Enemies need to be more mobile. They are too manageable once you enhance your signs or dodges. Especially bad with one vs one battles, even in the beginning. I think this can be fixed by giving higher level monsters/people more movement speed and giving certain humans somewhat safe charges.

EDIT: Thinking it over, just give them dodge rolls. Definitely makes sense given there are already action game style mirror boss fights.

At a certain point you simply do too much damage and take too little damage. That's just a difficulty/stat scaling issue. Not enough truly fearsome enemies in the final parts of 2 and all of 3(final bosses aside).

The game never throws a mix of monsters and people at you.

A button or two needs to be available to tab the locking of the target.

Don't know how overpowered signs can be, going to find out in my current playthrough.

Luthos

Anyone else get nearly murdered by campfires? Sometimes I accidentally walk into one, or will be standing in one after I talk with someone who's standing by a campfire.

And I'll keep getting stunned every time I take damage from the fire, and I can barely ever get out of the fire.

RedSwirl

I don't know if I've already said this in this thread, but the only part of the Destructoid review that I might agree with is how unbalanced the combat is. Otherwise I think this has been an excellent game so far, that just requires a bit more effort to understand than most current gen console games.

Exuro

Luthos said:
Anyone else get nearly murdered by campfires? Sometimes I accidentally walk into one, or will be standing in one after I talk with someone who's standing by a campfire.

And I'll keep getting stunned every time I take damage from the fire, and I can barely ever get out of the fire.
There's a part in chapter 2 on Roches side, when you talk to the arm wrestling guy you get placed in the fire. Doesn't do a heck of a lot of damage but it is annoying.

Ferrio

Banned
Luthos said:

My first death was to a campfire in a prologue. Was extremely comical... can take on a dragon but the mighty witcher can't figure out how to stay out of a campfire.

RedSwirl

Solo said:
Letho
is destroying me. Tips?

Use a swallow beforehand.
Time your Quens so that you have yours on when he doesn't, then go in for melee.
Use Grapeshots at long range when he has his Quen on.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Letho
is destroying me. Tips?

I just fucked that dude up last night. I sympathize if you're having issues but that fight was also not nearly as difficult as people were claiming it to be.

Stagger him with daggers. Use Ydren to trap him. Whack away. His combos are slow and long so you should be able to dodge them easily enough. If you use daggers to stagger him he can't recharge his Quen as easily. His most dangerous attacks, at least to me, were his Aard and Igni signs because he can get them off quickly, especially if you're in close range. If you catch on fire bust out Quen.

You don't actually have to remove his full life bar, just get it to about half and the battle ends.

Riposte

Solo said:
Letho
is destroying me. Tips?

There are plenty of strategies. Generally speaking, you don't want to attack him head on. Especially if he has Quen up. Here are some tips:

-Guarding against him will likely cause him to Aard you. This means you will have to hit guard after he begins his swing. Not too difficult, but I didn't use this approach.

-Figure out the AoE of his Aard, Igni, and bombs.

-Use Aard to interrupt his Quen sign. He might use it immediately as combat begins. He will use is very often as he hits you with Aard or Igni. After you do it, you should be able to hit a light attack or two and one heavy. This is the best way to approach him.

-Yrden will hold him in place. This allows you to set traps.

-Bombs and knives while he doesn't have Quen on is free damage. If you do enough damage, he'll use Quen, so maybe have Aard ready.

-Using Quen locks out Vigor regeneration, so consider using it only when you have one(or two) vigor bars free afterwards. Best used when he has Quen up and you won't be hitting him for awhile. At least if you follow my tips.

Shahadan

I just passed him this afternoon. I attacked as soon as the fight started, he didn't have the time to Quen, then guarded against his attack, then strong style. Repeat. Won.

Zeliard

If you have the +200% dodge upgrade you can just roll around that arena and Letho will pretty much never hit you. His bomb-throwing is easy to dodge, and you can usually see him starting up his Aard and Igni and dodge out of the way of those as well unless you're too close to him. His melee attacks are elaborate but slow enough that you can stay out of their range easily.

I've found a great strat against him to be to use daggers to keep him from using Quen, and then using Yrden to trap him while he's Quen-less and hitting him with a sword combo. Do that just two or three times and the battle is over.

Complistic

Destructoid gave the game a
6/10
bringing it's metacritc down to a 91. Sounds like the game was too hard for him and the story too complex.

zlatko

Banned
Complistic said:
Destructoid gave the game a
6/10
bringing it's metacritc down to a 91. Sounds like the game was too hard for him and the story too complex.

No. He was trolling for hits like he always does. What he actually thinks of the game is a mystery, because he's a turd that is clogging up a toilet and no matter how hard I want to see him flushed away and not be given attention, he keeps getting hits through his blatant fucking with people with no regards to what impact or baring it actually has.

Complistic

I wasn't aware he's done it before. nonetheless when you see a game with scores between 85 and 100 and they see that one, it should raise a flag in the mind of whoever's looking through the reviews.

Jim Sterling is a complete fuckwit, and not because of the scores he gives games. He's just a fuckwit. He demonstrates the same kind of lazy lack of insight that someone like Perez Hilton has made a career out of because people like to nod their head in agreement to the words of someone who is as intellectually bereft as they are.

zlatko

Banned
Complistic said:
I wasn't aware he's done it before. nonetheless when you see a game with scores between 85 and 100 and they see that one, it should raise a flag in the mind of whoever's looking through the reviews.

I like reading the lower score reviews sometimes from less known sites, because you can see them point out things that others may have missed out on, and are worthy of having been a bigger complaint by those who praised it.

Jim Sterling does not do this. He makes shit up, makes vague and obtuse points, and sells it off as fact. 9/10 of his reviews are just like this Witcher 2 one if not worse.

If you can't come away from The Witcher 2 impressed, or at least know when to give props when props are due, then you suck at your fucking job or are just trolling like Jim is. For me when I played RDR I wasn't super impressed to name it GOTY like so many others did, but I GET what others saw. I GET why it is a game worth worthy of high scores and praise.

Guys like Jim and dickwads who make ? articles or "Console War is over, X console has won," just get right under my skin, because I bust my hump trying to do reviews with being constructive and thorough. I want to be able to back up my claims and offer some insight, and even if people agree with my scores or not I hope they at least can end up respecting my opinion enough to warrant reading other reviews in the future.

I could just skip that whole process and pull a HipHopGamer every few days to make a, "God of War 4 coming to Xbox 360?" Article, submit it to n4g.com, and watch the site I work on get tons of hits.

/rant.

Zeliard

Who cares, he's one man with a shitty opinion. Just ignore it. Putting so much focus on one review at the expense of 20 others is silly.

I have a few random questions. First, I want to know if there is any way I can view the game cutscenes, specifically the animated ones, in an external viewer. I searched the internet but didn't find much. I figured I would ask because people have figured out how to unpack the dzip file. Secondly, is there narration on the journal entries? I swear I read someone mention how they liked Dandelions narration of his entry. Could be a mistake on my part though.

Normally GAF decides to disregard legit criticism about a game they're in love with.

However, it's clear The Witcher 2 is amazing and his criticisms are silly, so let's stop wringing our hands over it.

zlatko

Banned
Zeliard said:
Who cares, he's one man with a shitty opinion. Just ignore it. Putting so much focus on one review at the expense of 20 others is silly.

That's the thing though. The industry is young and naive right now. In the movie or music industry no one would blink an eye to a Jim Sterling, but here his awful voice gets resonance.

For every 1 person who ignores him, 5 more post in his articles just to flame him which is what he wants...hits/attention. Sadly, his 1 shit review will get more attention than any big name sites glowing reviews. That's how half assed this is and how frustrating it is to me.

Zeliard

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I have a few random questions. First, I want to know if there is any way I can view the game cutscenes, specifically the animated ones, in an external viewer. I searched the internet but didn't find much. I figured I would ask because people have figured out how to unpack the dzip file. Secondly, is there narration on the journal entries? I swear I read someone mention how they liked Dandelions narration of his entry. Could be a mistake on my part though.

Don't think he ever reads out the journal entries. Narration isn't necessarily speech - it's just the story being told, however that may be.

zlatko said:
That's the thing though. The industry is young and naive right now. In the movie or music industry no one would blink an eye to a Jim Sterling, but here his awful voice gets resonance.

For every 1 person who ignores him, 5 more post in his articles just to flame him which is what he wants...hits/attention. Sadly, his 1 shit review will get more attention than any big name sites glowing reviews. That's how half assed this is and how frustrating it is to me.

You see that you're helping do just that, right? You're giving his article attention by continually mentioning it.

Salaadin

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

The movies look like theyre located in \Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC\movies or whatever directory your version installs to. However, theyre in a .usm format and I have no idea what is required to play that.

Zeliard said:
Don't think he ever reads out the journal entries. Narration isn't necessarily speech - it's just the story being told, however that may be..

All right, that's what I figured was meant by narration, thought I'd ask just to be sure.

Salaadin said:
The movies look like theyre located in \Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\The Witcher 2\CookedPC\movies or whatever directory your version installs to. However, theyre in a .usm format and I have no idea what is required to play that.

Yea, did a search on google and found nothing so, that's a bummer.

zlatko

Banned
Zeliard said:
Don't think he ever reads out the journal entries. Narration isn't necessarily speech - it's just the story being told, however that may be.

You see that you're helping do just that, right? You're giving his article attention by continually mentioning it.

Unfortunately I'm the type of person when someone farts in an elevator... I have to say something about it.

Yeef

Solo said:
Letho
is destroying me. Tips?
I found being more aggressive made him incredibly easy. Aard him, hit him with 2 strongs then 1 quick. Then back off a bit; he'll either try to swing at you or aard/igni you; either way it's fairly easy to dodge. Repeat until dead. He should never get a chance to Quen or do much of anything.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Brannon said:
DSP is youtubing this game.

Oh god.

I had no idea who DSP was, but I just checked out the first episode of his stream. He sure is a bit obnoxious. He also seems like one of those in-denial closet homosexuals who uses words like "gay" and "fag" as insults to prove their manliness, but can't stop making homoerotic jokes about everything.

Zefah said:
I had no idea who DSP was, but I just checked out the first episode of his stream. He sure is a bit obnoxious. He also seems like one of those in-denial closet homosexuals who uses words like "gay" and "fag" as insults to prove their manliness, but can't stop making homoerotic jokes about everything.

He's fucking irritating as hell, and if people are trying to watch it to gauge any interest they may have in it, he'll just ruin it by saying shit like "While you blow me" etc...

Dude needs to grow up.

Okay, I just hit level 7 and Im still having an issue with combat. Anything more than 2 enemies and I get overwhelmed. Am I missing anything? Do potions play a bigger role in this game? Im fighting those 4 guys in the graveyard and do shit damage to the leader.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
gamerecks said:
Okay, I just hit level 7 and Im still having an issue with combat. Anything more than 2 enemies and I get overwhelmed. Am I missing anything? Do potions play a bigger role in this game? Im fighting those 4 guys in the graveyard and do shit damage to the leader.

Potions help, but they probably won't decide the outcome of a fight.

You gotta be flighty, evade often and keep your distance. Sometimes it'll take awhile to defeat a group, at least early in the game, you just gotta have some patience. Lead them into traps and toss bombs/knifes to wear down their health. This helps a TON with group fights since divide and conquer tactics are a must. You can't charge them head on and solve everything with your blades alone. Of course, for this to be possible you need to be diligent about crafting items before you head out into a dangerous area.

The signs help a lot since Aard and Igni can do ranged damage as well as breaking an enemy's defense, giving you a chance to get a few hits in. Yrden helps a lot with groups as well since it can stun enemies and thin out the herd temporarily. And don't forget about Quen, which is pretty much easy mode.

Basically, just use everything in your arsenal and keep your distance.

Chiggs

Gold Member
jim-jam bongs said:
Jim Sterling is a complete fuckwit, and not because of the scores he gives games. He's just a fuckwit. He demonstrates the same kind of lazy lack of insight that someone like Perez Hilton has made a career out of because people like to nod their head in agreement to the words of someone who is as intellectually bereft as they are.

This.

Van Buren

gamerecks said:

Have you tried using Axii ? You can mind control Dimitri. You can also try snares and bombs to even the odds in your favor. Make use of the red haze bomb, the design for which can be bought from Cedric, I think. It makes enemies turn on each other. Put Quen up if you are about to die, but remember that it stops your Vigor regeneration when active.

And yes, alchemy (potions + bombs + traps) can make or break an encounter.

The decisions in this game, damn they make you think!

End of chapter 2 (Roche) spoilers:

Standing in the room with the king and Roche comes in and I already know what choice I'm gonna have to make, but when the options came up I just looked at them trying to figure which was the "best" one to do.

Van Buren

DualShadow said:
The decisions in this game, damn they make you think!

End of chapter 2 (Roche) spoilers:

Standing in the room with the king and Roche comes in and I already know what choice I'm gonna have to make, but when the options came up I just looked at them trying to figure which was the "best" one to do.

Best of luck with that choice is all I can say. The ramifications are quite interesting.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
Potions help, but they probably won't decide the outcome of a fight.

You just gotta be flighty, evade often and keep your distance. Lead them into traps and toss bombs/knifes to wear down their health. This helps a TON with group fights since divide and conquer tactics are a must. You can't charge them head on and solve everything with your blades alone. Of course, for this to be possible you need to be diligent about crafting items before you head out into a dangerous area.

The signs help a lot since Aard and Igni can do ranged damage as well as breaking an enemies defense and giving you a chance to get a few hits in. Yrden helps a lot with groups as well since it can stun enemies and thin out the heard temporarily. And don't forget about Quen, which is pretty much easy mode.

Basically, just use everything in your arsenal and keep your distance.

Axii can be useful as well. I mostly ignored it in the early going but any spell that can take an enemy out of the equation for even a short period is useful enough.

Though one sort of goofy thing about it (though probably done purposefully) is that if you Axii an enemy and he starts attacking another one, that other enemy will still keep coming for you and will basically just ignore his pal stabbing at him. I assume this was done to keep things from getting too easy but it still looks a bit silly. :p

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Zeliard said:
Axii can be useful as well. I mostly ignored it in the early going but any spell that can take an enemy out of the equation for even a short period is useful enough.

That too. I also took way too long to use it since I didn't realize I had to hold down the button for it to work. I thought it was just really ineffective.

I love to Axii a few enemies and sit back and watch them tear each other apart. Awesome.

Finished last night, starting a new game up. Is a full alchemy/swordsman build feasible? I found mage made the game hilariously simple sometime in chapter 2 so I'm going to try and avoid it as much as possible.

Also how do I get the thing that gives me 300 carrying capacity in the prologue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom