• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

I really wouldn't mind DLC where you play as someone else. My Geralt is too powerful at this point and I don't want his story to continue unless it is moving towards part 3.

JWong said:
Dropped a point on the metacritic.
Who cares. They are eastern european devs. Metacritic means nothing to them. The western devs can wallow in their need for justification of their efforts and product by means or large arbitrary numbers.

Enemy Of Fate said:
Reposting this for an answer from someone please!!

So I just finished chapter 1 and was wondering if someone could tell me
who was the person Geralt told Roche to give the baby to? I'd never come across him in my game, or even heard his name mentioned!

Cedric's elven friend, you can usually find him standing next to him early on. I can't remember his name, though. He wasn't terribly important though lol

Exuro

Ikuu said:
They could just do them like they did in the first game and just have different adventures.
I'd hate that actually. The mini adventures in TW1 felt useless for the most part. I'd rather they just add to the core game. They said something about adding areas between acts as Gop(or some dev) said there was time between each of them. My second playthrough of the game has been more enjoyable than the first do to decisions and such so I wouldn't mind more troll quest DLC, only they'd have to add a bunch at a time, not one quest here and there. I've already said it, but I want a Tales of the Sword Coast style expansion where the game gets tones of new side quests as well as optional areas to go to. Leveling would need to be restructured but imo it needs to be fixed in the main game anyways.

Riposte said:
I really wouldn't mind DLC where you play as someone else. My Geralt is too powerful at this point and I don't want his story to continue unless it is moving towards part 3.
Wouldn't mind this. They really messed up the balance in the game. If they can't fix this then I'd like DLC as mentioned.

Solo

Anyone know how I can get my pre-order code back (Steam version)? Like an idiot, I never wrote it down, and now I'm trying to get some of the DLC, which prompts me for the code.

Exuro

Solo said:
Anyone know how I can get my pre-order code back (Steam version)? Like an idiot, I never wrote it down, and now I'm trying to get some of the DLC, which prompts me for the code.
Right click game in library, view cd key?

Salaadin said:
I wonder how theyll do it too. Its Act based so any DLC confined to a certain act would mean that the player has to be in that Act to do it. We already saw this with Troll Trouble. It doesnt feel like its designed for DLC after beating the game.

Witcher 1 handled it by making the dlc totally separate side stories, which would be fine by me.

Salaadin

Exuro said:
I'd hate that actually. The mini adventures in TW1 felt useless for the most part. I'd rather they just add to the core game. They said something about adding areas between acts as Gop(or some dev) said there was time between each of them. My second playthrough of the game has been more enjoyable than the first do to decisions and such so I wouldn't mind more troll quest DLC, only they'd have to add a bunch at a time, not one quest here and there. I've already said it, but I want a Tales of the Sword Coast style expansion where the game gets tones of new side quests as well as optional areas to go to. Leveling would need to be restructured but imo it needs to be fixed in the main game anyways.

Id prefer an expansion over DLC as well. Im already feeling withdrawals and I havent even beaten the game yet. I KNOW Im going to want more when its over. I really hope they expand on the game more after release..like DA: Awakening did with new areas, quests, characters.

Van Buren

Riposte said:

Hmm. I'm just so invested in the story of Geralt at the moment, that I'm not comfortable with this idea, to be honest.

A Witcher game without Geralt going "We'll see" or "Mhm" in a deadpan voice when presented with grave moral dilemmas is alien to me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Salaadin said:
I wonder how theyll do it too. Its Act based so any DLC confined to a certain act would mean that the player has to be in that Act to do it. We already saw this with Troll Trouble. It doesnt feel like its designed for DLC after beating the game.
I'm sure any additional acts will be full fledged expansions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Salaadin said:
Id prefer an expansion over DLC as well. Im already feeling withdrawals and I havent even beaten the game yet. I KNOW Im going to want more when its over. I really hope they expand on the game more after release..like DA: Awakening did with new areas, quests, characters.

Yep.

Simply put, I want as much content they can make as soon as they can release it.

I do like Corky's idea about adding in special boss monsters. Maybe they can tide us over with some smaller DLC while they work on real deal expansions.

Never liked that guy but when I saw that he is whining about enemies attacking from multiple directions I knew it will be all bs.
Come on, what are they supposed to do, line up and wait to attack one at the time lol
And what if you're weak at beginning, you're supposed to and as you train and practice you get better, and it's not that it becomes faceroll later anyway...

Meh, crap review

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Snuggler said:
Yep.

Simply put, I want as much content they can make as soon as they can release it.

I do like Corky's idea about adding in special boss monsters. Maybe they can tide us over with some smaller DLC while they work on real deal expansions.

FAT loot don't forget fat loot!

zlatko

Banned
Riposte said:

I disliked the parts in Witcher 2 that had you playing as other characters, so I hope this is not the case.

DLC adventures that take place maybe during The Wild Hunt like when he mentions fighting the manticore would be bad ass. I think the only way I'd be fine with DLC to play as another character would be if it was Iorveth since he's the baddest dude in games. :D

Salaadin

Is it bad that we live in an era where DLC is largely frowned upon yet here we are, crying for more and hoping for many additiona quests and expansions? I guess awesome game + free DLC will do that.

Does anyone recommend turning SSAO on? How does the game look with it on and off? I assume this would be an effect that darkens corners and such.

Also I'm running around Chapter 2 and I hear a crow that sounds almost exactly like one from Ocarina of Time! Unintended obscure nostalgia rush!

Exuro

I think they should plan an Enhanced edition of sorts, but with new content, a complete rebalance of combat/mobs and any obvious bug/design fixes. I would love that. I really love the core ideas behind the game, but a lot of them aren't executed well.

Also, put different shadows in. The game looks beautiful but dithered shadows look terrible. I know there's a lot of lighting/shadows but at least offer it for high end users.

Another also, better tutorial. Non hand holding is fine and all but for people new to the series it's a bit overwhelming getting thrown into the game with a combat system you've never used and 6 signs you're not familiar with. Put in an optional tutorial in the first part of the prologue where you can practice combat.

Corky

Salaadin said:
Is it bad that we live in an era where DLC is largely frowned upon yet here we are, crying for more and hoping for many additiona quests and expansions? I guess awesome game + free DLC will do that.

Sadly the era we live in has made us equate expansions to on disc DLC. Diablo II LoD was an expansion, in this day an age it would've counted as an iteration and most likely had on the disc pre-DLC.

How About No said:
Does anyone recommend turning SSAO on? How does the game look with it on and off? I assume this would be an effect that darkens corners and such.

One of the few games that I could noticabley see the difference between SSAO on/off.

zlatko

Banned
Salaadin said:

I don't frown upon good DLC. I think people frown upon over priced shitty DLC that you still want, but can't believe this is the way it is. Example: Capcom with Street Fighter costumes.

Good DLC will always be worth the price of admission like Red Dead's Zombie Nightmare DLC. Wanting a game you love to have a longer life line and more fresh ways to play is a win for both the players and the developers/publishers, but the sad fact is is that too many dev/pubs are really just looking to find the way to get the most $ with the lowest effort put in.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I wouldn't be surprised if the console version is an Enhanced Edition with bug fixes, balance changes and (hopefully) a full new chapter. I'm sure PC gamers would get it as a free patch.

Exuro

Archie said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the console version is an Enhanced Edition with bug fixes, balance changes and (hopefully) a full new chapter. I'm sure PC gamers would get it as a free patch.
I'm actually kind of hoping for this. They know they'll need a more bug free game and on top of the free DLC we're getting I'm hoping they plan to improve the core game design/bug fixing wise for the inevitable console release instead of making a few things of DLC here and there and moving on to TW3. I wasn't around when TW1 released so I'm not sure how they went about making the EE for it.

Keikoku said:
West side of the map, there should be a path somewhere around there before hitting the beach/cabin. The quest marker is screwed up during that quest.

Van Buren

Archie said:

Call me selfish, but I really want CDPR to get started on expansions and the sequel, even if it means outsourcing the potential porting job to somebody else.

gdt

Damn, CDPR was talking my ear off this morning, soon as I send a pic of my CD Key to receive a GOG version (as promised), nothing. Weird. No further responses.

burgerdog

gdt5016 said:
Damn, CDPR was talking my ear off this morning, soon as I send a pic of my CD Key to receive a GOG version (as promised), nothing. Weird. No further responses.

Keep emailing them. Don't get screwed.

Exuro said:
I'm hoping they plan to improve the core game design/bug fixing wise for the inevitable console release instead of making a few things of DLC here and there and moving on to TW3.

Why would you like that? You want PC users to get shafted because of console players? I would welcome PS3 version, but if there isn't any it's fine.

Echoplx

I don't see why we need a Enhanced Edition for TW2, all the bugs can be fixed with normal patching.. It's not like they need to completely rework the game..

Exuro

Castor Krieg said:
Why would you like that? You want PC users to get shafted because of console players? I would welcome PS3 version, but if there isn't any it's fine.
How would we be getting shafted?

RedSwirl

Sethos said:
Everyone's favourite fat person, Jim Sterling, has decided to bestow a mighty 6/10 to this game ...

http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-201752.phtml

This right here represents the exact kind of player thinking that current generation games are responding to.

People have gotten frustrated with unintuitive games and the response has been to make every game ensure that you always know exactly where you need to go and exactly what you need to do. Now, people like this have forgotten how to play any game that doesn't do this.

Judging by what I've heard about Deus Ex Human Revolution, I'm kind of worried that it'll run into the same problems.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I said "Eh, fuck it" to the game not having 4:3 and proceeded on playing.

Wow, really good game and I just finished the first part.
Just got released out of the prison
. I'm maxing this game out and it looks ridiculous at times - especially indoors.

Can't wait to continue tomorrow!

Exuro

Castor Krieg said:
Then you phrased it badly.
Not really. Since they plan to make console version that'll give them more incentive to improve TW2. I would rather they improve TW2 itself as well as add DLC/expansion then just a have a few more Troll DLC and move straight to TW3. I don't see any PC shafting there.

Corky

Yoshichan said:
I said "Eh, fuck it" to the game not having 4:3 and proceeded on playing.

Wow, really good game and I just finished the first part.
Just got released out of the prison
. I'm maxing this game out and it looks ridiculous at times - especially indoors.

Can't wait to continue tomorrow!

Hey broski, where you been hidin'?

dionysus

Yaldog
gdt5016 said:

Don't know the history of this but I'd imagine it is because it is 11:30 PM in Poland right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corky said:
Hey broski, where you been hidin'?
100% of my time is dedicated to Starcraft II these past 6 months (and the next 8-9 years most likely) XD Been here all the time!

Corky

zlatko said:
He hides in the SC2 community thread. Home to the most baller of Gaf. :D

You used to be SF mang, what happened... you used to be cool :(

Yoshichan said:
100% of my time is dedicated to Starcraft II these past 6 months (and the next 8-9 years most likely) XD Been here all the time!

That's an odd way of spelling Super Street Fighter IV for the xbox 360 entertainment system TM

Yoshichan

Corky said:
You used to be SF mang, what happened... you used to be cool :(
There are way cooler people in the SC2 community! Take the leap and try it out, you'll love it :D!

I still miss some of you from the fighting community though
Corky said:
That's an odd way of spelling Super Street Fighter IV for the xbox 360 entertainment system TM
XD!!!

Late to the hate but I kind of agree with Jim Sterling that the difficulty is out of whack but not for the reasons he stated. It's not that it's too hard early on it's just too easy later.

The problem is that they run out of ways to increase the difficulty without it getting absurd. At first 5 enemies is plenty, by the end of chapter 1 you'll be dispatching groups of a dozen or more. Once you're in chapter 2 and 3 they can't just up the numbers again because most of the areas in those chapters are too tight to handle it, and because the way the AI tries to surround Geralt means that there will only be maybe 6 - 8 enemies in a position to deal damage, with the rest having to wait their turn. And that goes for ranged enemies too since they decided to implement projectiles with collision detection.

And yeah they really need to tweak the targeting system. It seems to favour proximity to the centre of the screen over proximity to the player when choosing the target. It's really annoying to push an enemy off the bottom of the screen with strikes, and even though I know he's within arm's length, and the stick is pushed in his direction, just because I can't see him on screen Geralt suddenly decides to do that triple pirouette attack and launch himself at some dude 20 metres away.

Corky

Yoshichan said:
There are way cooler people in the SC2 community! Take the leap and try it out, you'll love it :D!

I still miss some of you from the fighting community though

XD!!!

I dipped my toes into SC2 multiplayer, I tried to wall in my ramp with two supply depots..... The dude sent in a protoss peon ( yeah a protoss peon ) that went through them of course, and messed my shit up, I cried for 2-3 hours and uninstalled the game.

Van Buren

Exuro said:
Not really. Since they plan to make console version that'll give them more incentive to improve TW2. I would rather they improve TW2 with DLC/expansions then just a have a few more Troll DLC and move straight to TW3. I don't see any PC shafting there.

The way Witcher 2 ended, everything's logically set up for an absolute screamer of a sequel. The problem with DLCs and Expansions is that sometimes the narrative does not move ahead far enough, and can stagnate, leaving the real plot developments for the sequel. Given the world-changing plot developments take place in the second game, the expansion will have its work cut out in this regard.

In that case I'd rather they release the mod tools for the engine and get to working on the sequel on the same engine.

Yoshichan

Corky said:
I dipped my toes into SC2 multiplayer, I tried to wall in my ramp with two supply depots..... The dude sent in a protoss peon ( yeah a protoss peon ) that went through them of course, and messed my shit up, I cried for 2-3 hours and uninstalled the game.
Now you know exactly how I feel when I try baiting fireballs so that I can jump in and punish! They end up baiting me instead with lp and I'll get srk ultra'D ._.

Sorry for the off topic guys, it's just that it's been so long talking with Corky ♥ We'll stop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom