• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

I wonder if theres a way to rip out the journal entries for each quest. I enjoy reading them and would like to have a copy to read outside of the game so I dont have to scroll...I guess theyll eventually end up on wiki.

Does anyone else use Dragons Dream a lot? Its so satisfying to toss one into a large crowd, seeing the small explosion and then using Igni and see the whole place ignite again. Its my go to strategy against groups of Endrega.

Zeliard

Snuggler said:
That too. I also took way too long to use it since I didn't realize I had to hold down the button for it to work. I thought it was just really ineffective.

I love to Axii a few enemies and sit back and watch them tear each other apart. Awesome.

The Red Haze bombs are glorious for this purpose.

During the
Malena
quest, when
you get ambushed
, I just threw a couple Red Haze bombs at the group of Scoia'tael and when all was said and done, there was just one left standing - the leader of the pack.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I've decided to finish the original before buying this, but it's kind of hard seeing how amazing W2 looks. :<

Does the NA version come with the original Polish VA like the first game did?

Thanks guys. Ill be give your suggestions a shot.

PS.

I got this running 30fps on a 2GB GT540m with a Quad core i7.

Most everything turned off of course. Hopefully patching will help it run better.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
How moddable is this game? One my favorite things about DA:O was all the crazy armor and weapons and tweaks and smut and shit like that people came up with. Can we expect anything like that here?

-Not that vanilla lacks any of amount of awesome, but just out of curiousity.

Salaadin said:
Does anyone else use Dragons Dream a lot? Its so satisfying to toss one into a large crowd, seeing the small explosion and then using Igni and see the whole place ignite again. Its my go to strategy against groups of Endrega.

I use the Dancing Star one instead, it's far more likely to ignite everyone in my experience. I'm usually carrying about 10 of those (because Aether is annoyingly rare considering the number of important recipes which require it) and around 50 Grape Shots.

Zeliard

toasty_T said:
Finished last night, starting a new game up. Is a full alchemy/swordsman build feasible? I found mage made the game hilariously simple sometime in chapter 2 so I'm going to try and avoid it as much as possible.

I'm still early in Chapter 2 and I've been going with Alchemy. I got the level 1 Axii upgrade but that's all as far as Magic, and with Swordsmanship I just got the level 1/2 roll-dodge upgrades. The rest has been spent on Alchemy. I'm comfortable enough with the swordplay as it is as well as the 5 basic magic spells you get that I don't really need to upgrade those much any more. I don't even want to touch the Quen upgrades unless I'm playing on Insane.

I'm playing on Hard and I'll let you know if I hit a bump, but so far it's been pretty smooth sailing.

Van Buren said:
Best of luck with that choice is all I can say. The ramifications are quite interesting.

I was actually thinking about the consequences of each choice and weighing up what I thought could happen. Probably the thing I love most about this game is actually thinking about my choices rather then just randomly picking.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
He's fucking irritating as hell, and if people are trying to watch it to gauge any interest they may have in it, he'll just ruin it by saying shit like "While you blow me" etc...

Dude needs to grow up.

Wow, not only that, but he's a fucking moron and a massive whiner, too.

Check out this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1kBrrvPpA&feature=relmfu around the 3:00 mark where he starts whining that he can't block or cast spells even though he's mashing the button, even though he's out of vigor. The guy then goes on a tirade saying that the game is bad and it's because it was developed by Polish people. Man, what a shit bag.

He apparently turned off comments for part 11 because he got flamed so hard.

It makes me sad, because I think I saw a lot of people earlier in this thread complaining about the difficulty early on, and I bet they were doing similar things as in this video. :(

mileS

lol its always great to hear from people that have discovered DSP for the first time. Reminds me of Zero Punctuation reactions.

vilmer_

Zefah said:

Check out this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG1kBrrvPpA&feature=relmfu around the 3:00 mark where he starts whining that he can't block or cast spells even though he's mashing the button, even though he's out of vigor. The guy then goes on a tirade saying that the game is bad and it's because it was developed by Polish people. Man, what a shit bag.

It makes me sad, because I think I saw a lot of people earlier in this thread complaining about the difficulty early on, and I bet they were doing similar things as in this video. :(

LOL!! Did this guy ever touch Demon's Souls? Plough the lillies!

Exuro

Zefah said:
I have a feeling this is true. They really didn't explain combat well in the prologue. I can completely understand people getting frustrated/confused when barely anything was mentioned about vigor. I've already said this a few times but they really need an optional tutorial quest in the beginning that lays out sword combat, signs, rolling and vigor.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Ahhh, how do you get this ingredient for the krayan poison thing? This cave is crazy, I can't last 30 sec without being swarmed to death by nekkers.

Does it matter that its night time? Can I wait this out for less of them?

The plot bifurcation is waaaaay more in depth than I thought it would be, Chapter 2 is essentially 2 completely different chapters that unfold simultaneously of which you can only see 1 per playthrough.

Awesome.

Solo

MickeyKnox said:
Chapter 2 is essentially 2 completely different chapters that unfold simultaneously of which you can only see 1 per playthrough.

Based on
Roche/Ioverth
choice at the end of Chapter 1, presumably? I went with
Roche

Arozay

Zefah said:

Ahaha, I remember this guy, entered a marvel tournament and got blown up. Is this why he has fanboys?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Exuro said:
I have a feeling this is true. They really didn't explain combat well in the prologue. I can completely understand people getting frustrated/confused when barely anything was mentioned about vigor. I've already said this a few times but they really need an optional tutorial quest in the beginning that lays out sword combat, signs, rolling and vigor.

Sure, but even without tutorials and manuals and what not, do people just not try things anymore? Do they not observe that when you cast a spell or block an attack, a bar in the upper left of the screen depletes? A few deaths should be enough to teach most people, but the moron in the video just kept running back in and *click* *click* *click*ing.

Exuro

Zefah said:
Sure, but even without tutorials and manuals and what not, do people just not try things anymore? Do they not observe that when you cast a spell or block an attack, a bar in the upper left of the screen depletes? A few deaths should be enough to teach most people, but the moron in the video just kept running back in and *click* *click* *click*ing.
Well trying things is kind of hard when the game difficulty is so high at the beginning. I'm not defending the video but people new to the game will get thrown into combat and may have trouble adjusting to it.

zer0das

Banned
Solo said:
Letho
is destroying me. Tips?

A lot of people have mentioned stuff that helps already but I think
The easiest way to do it is to stay relatively close to him and have Quen up. His swing/signs are easier to roll away from if you stay relatively close, and then you just stab him in the back with a strong attack. Repeat until he goes down.

Zefah said:

This game really has made it a lot more clear to me how enjoyable it is not to have your hand held all the time. I find it so engaging that I am actually exploring the combat and the world and figuring things out as I go rather than having everything pop up menus or big icons above dudes heads.

But, I fear that a lot of people have become so accustomed to that stuff that they won't get it and will never learn how immersive it can be to have a game that doesn't hold your hand and requires you to actually figure things out.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Solo said:
Sounds like we're basically playing different games from here on out, which is fucking awesome.
Pretty much. This is one of those games that makes you wish people measured a game by the amount of accessible content, rather than the length of a single playthrough, because you're essentially getting two campaigns in one.

EternalGamer said:
This game really has made it a lot more clear to me how enjoyable it is not to have your hand held all the time. I find it so engaging that I am actually exploring the combat and the world and figuring things out as I go rather than having everything pop up menus or big icons above dudes heads.

But, I fear that a lot of people have become so accustomed to that stuff that they won't get it and will never learn how immersive it can be to have a game that doesn't hold your hand and requires you to actually figure things out.
I feel the same way. There's something really refreshing about the game giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, I'm nearing the end of ch. 2 and I'm starting to feel overpowered. I'm just wrecking these harpies. It helps that I've got a sweet upgraded silver sword and most of the signs maxed out, but damn. I think it also helps that I switched to kb/m, the pad worked fine but I dunno...it just feels much more responsive and accurate now. It's definitely the way to go if you want to be a maximum badass.

Solo

I cannot fathom any scenario in which December 31 rolls around and this isn't my GOTY. In fact, I think I'll go ahead and pre-emptively give The Witcher 3 GOTY of 2015.

Varna

Holy shit human side chapter 2 ending sequence
... Felt SOO fucken good to let Roche kill Henselt...
I can't believe the amount of joy that decision is giving. FUCKING LOVE THIS GAME. I was praying I would get the chance.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Solo said:
I cannot fathom any scenario in which December 31 rolls around and this isn't my GOTY. In fact, I think I'll go ahead and pre-emptively give The Witcher 3 GOTY of 2015.

I don't know what kind of games you are into, but there's a lot of cool stuff on the horizon. TW2 is definitely my GOTY for now, though.

matmanx1

zer0das said:
A lot of people have mentioned stuff that helps already but I think
The easiest way to do it is to stay relatively close to him and have Quen up. His swing/signs are easier to roll away from if you stay relatively close, and then you just stab him in the back with a strong attack. Repeat until he goes down.

I did something similar but didn't even bother with Quen. I just used Aard as soon as the fight started to stun him, then slashed a couple of times until he recovered enough to block me at which point I hit him with another Aard. Rinse, repeat and I took zero damage. Staying in his face seems to work much better as I died several times trying other strategies that involved dodging, rolling, etc.

I also have to say it's really gratifying to see The Witcher 2 have a thread with over eight thousand replies and still going strong. I've been a fan and proponent of The Witcher universe for several years and I've always thought the potential was there for greatness and I think we are starting to see that with this game. Now if we can just get the rest of the books translated into English I will be ecstatic!

Zefah said:

It can be easy to assume you're using the wrong strategy/attack when dealing with multiple enemies, and not realize that you're pretty much not supposed to fight multiple enemies at one time. The logical assumption is that this fighting system would have some correct way of juggling multiple opponents, but it doesn't. It took me a while to realize that you have to spend most of your time running away from a group, rolling a lot and getting a couple of hits in here and there. It's actually the one big weakness of the combat, that you have to do that.

I don't know what's in the video, but you're way off base if you think the learning curve shouldn't be a problem for anybody.

This is a really strange question but does anyone know what kind of flute is played in the song "Watering Hole in the Harbor" on the soundtrack? Is it a recorder? Sure sounds like one...

Solo

Zefah said:
I don't know what kind of games you are into, but there's a lot of cool stuff on the horizon. TW2 is definitely my GOTY for now, though.

Oh, its going to be an AMAZING year. Skyrim, Uncharted, Rage, Batman: AC, etc. all on the way. I just mean that I don't see any of them toppling The Witcher 2: Ploughing Bugaloo.

Zeliard

I feel like this game has already put a dent in my anticipation for exploring Skyrim. It's still gonna be really nice having a huge open world, but I can't imagine the environments will be as striking and evocative as Witcher 2's.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
LaserBuddha said:
It can be easy to assume you're using the wrong strategy/attack when dealing with multiple enemies, and not realize that you're pretty much not supposed to fight multiple enemies at one time. The logical assumption is that this fighting system would have some correct way of juggling multiple opponents, but it doesn't. It took me a while to realize that you have to spend most of your time running away from a group, rolling a lot and getting a couple of hits in here and there . I don't know what's in the video, but you're way off base if you think the learning curve shouldn't be a problem for anybody.

Not only did you not watch the video, but I don't think you read the content in my post, either.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No love for Risen 2 :(? I'm more pumped for that than Skyrim, honestly (although I'm pumped for Skyrim, too).

Zefah said:
Not only did you not watch the video, but I don't think you read the content in my post, either.

Yeah, I can't watch the video, and you quoted me before I had that in my post. Your point is that a few deaths should be enough to teach most people. When it comes to this game, a few deaths is not enough to teach some of the things needing to be taught.

Zeliard

Zefah said:
No love for Risen 2 :(? I'm more pumped for that than Skyrim, honestly (although I'm pumped for Skyrim, too).

When is Risen 2 due to be out? Hugely looking forward to that as well, along with Dark Souls.

Zeliard said:
I feel like this game has already put a dent in my anticipation for exploring Skyrim. It's still gonna be really nice having a huge open world, but I can't imagine the environments will be as striking and evocative as Witcher 2's.

I'm sure I will really enjoy Skyrim, but Witcher 2 shows how great scripted events and a carefully designed hand crafted world can be. Skyrim is all going to be randomly generated forrest that will look amazing, but will all look the same and have quests with generic dialog introductions that you will hear from peasant #1 and peasant #234.

I really like the "mini-open world" hubs that the Witcher series depends on. Each environment is lovingly crafted but you make choices in each that impacts how things develop in the next hub. It's kind of the best of both open worlds and scripted narratives combined.

Van Buren

Zefah said:

Risen 2 ought to be great, if Risen was any indication (last few hours notwithstanding). If anything, the Witcher and Risen share a lot of similarities in that they focus on just a few handful of settlements, but pack them full of life.

Skyrim though ? I'll wait and watch for impressions. Oblivion had an epic trailer, but was a huge disappointment until mods salvaged the experience, including replacing the bland story.

Varna said:
Holy shit chapter 2 ending sequence
... Felt SOO fucken good to let Roche kill Henselt...
Uhh, this going to get sticky.

If we're going to mention chapter 2 spoilers it would be worth saying which chapter 2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Snuggler said:
Man, I'm nearing the end of ch. 2 and I'm starting to feel overpowered. I'm just wrecking these harpies. It helps that I've got a sweet upgraded silver sword and most of the signs maxed out, but damn. I think it also helps that I switched to kb/m, the pad worked fine but I dunno...it just feels much more responsive and accurate now. It's definitely the way to go if you want to be a maximum badass.
I kind of know the feeling, but I'm reveling in it. After such a hard first chapter, I'm enjoying my godly power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom